Sick and tired of Superhero movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Whether Marvel OR DC, I really am sick and tired of all these movies coming out lately, its all thats filling the boards and the movie vs forums.

God forbid a vs thread happens to be between 2 normal humans that aren't Jason Bourne.

John Murdoch
Marvel/Disney is too good at the game to say I don't look forward with giddy anticipation to every MCU movie that is released. Feige and co. have earned it.

Fox as of late has been great with X-verse stuff like Deadpool and Logan, so I can't complain about them.

Jury is still out on DCEU.

Surtur
I am not tired of them. In a way it makes sense that we have all these movies and tv shows now. Since the technology for films has become so advanced...of course we're going to a put a lot of our more fantastical tales on the big or small screen.

IMO they tend to provide a better escape than most other movies and shows do. On top of that there are still plenty of other movies that come out that one can watch if they are not in the mood for super hero films. Comedy, drama, horror, and non-superhero related action films are still made. It is the same with tv shows, there is a lot of non-fantasy stuff to choose from.

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Marvel/Disney is too good at the game to say I don't look forward with giddy anticipation to every MCU movie that is released. Feige and co. have earned it.

Fox as of late has been great with X-verse stuff like Deadpool and Logan, so I can't complain about them.

Jury is still out on DCEU.

Indeed, Marvel has become quite adept at mixing action with interesting stories and characters.

The DCEU has not gotten there yet, but there is too much money to be made and the popularity of these kinds of movies isn't going anywhere anytime soon it seems, so I feel like sooner or later they will get there.

Patient_Leech
Some of them I will still probably continue to enjoy as long as they stay quality (like Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy). Others are abysmal crap like Doctor Strange and some I have no interest in whatsoever, like Captain America Civil War. But yes, I am getting sick of the superhero formula. It's obnoxious that we've had so many Spiderman reboots in such a short period of time. It's shameless money grubbing because it's a guaranteed massive profit, not to mention merchandising. I've already seen merchandise on the shelves for Justice League, but I will say at least it looks so awful it should be funny...

laughing out loud

Inhuman
The problem is over-saturation of these type of movies and all the "Me too" jumping on the shared universe bandwagon studios

juggernaut74
How many shared universes is there?

WB probably has the most with the DCEU, Monster, Conjuring, all of which have been very profitable.

BruceSkywalker
butthurt dummie... butthurt dummies

John Murdoch
Originally posted by juggernaut74
How many shared universes is there?

To add and extrapolate onto your list:

- Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm have MCU, Star Wars, and stuff like Once on ABC.
- Fox has X-Men verse and the failed Fant4stic attempt.
- Sony is in league with Disney trying the Spider-Man/Venom route.
- Universal has the Dark Universe and Fast and Furious. Also, it appears the M. Night Shyamalanadingdong universe is taking shape with Split (a very interesting foundation has been set for this one).
- WB has DCEU, The Hobbit/LotR, and Conjuring.

John Murdoch
My concerns are two-fold:

- The over-saturation/reboot reboot reboot points that Inhuman and Leech pointed out.
- I remain optimistic along with Surtur that the DCEU continues to find its stride and get to the same quality status as the MCU, and it will somewhat mirror the decades-long comic rivalry: some people are more DC, some people prefer their Marvel, but both companies release quality products.

Slowpoke
Not yet, but I got a bit bored on the MCU style.

Kazenji
If you don't like em don't go see them, Simple as that

no ones twisting your arm.

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Sick and tired of Superhero movies?
Not one bit, no.
Growing up i never thought i'd get to see so many well done live action versions of the characters i love so much.

carthage
Nope
I want more funny quips, forgettable villains, and a single studio trying to homogenize it all and make it family friendly

Esau Cairn
I'n glad to be part of a generation that grew up reading comics & to be able to see their live action versions on the big screen.

My only gripe is that the more I see of The Avengers, the more I'm starting to care less about the storyline, much less the individual characters themselves.

quanchi112
People crying over this is hilarious. I don't give a shit how upset this makes you. It's great for the movie industry and do not see them if this makes you cry at night. The goal of any studio is to make money. Leech is very stupid if he believes otherwise. The reason we don't see an outcry in support of Riddick is because it doesn't make money and isn't popular. Poor leech.

Impediment
If you don't like comic book/superhero films, then don't watch them.

Simple.

riv6672
^^^pretty much.
Like me and rap music.

But is IS a valid question. Just seems most of us aren't tired of these movies.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
butthurt dummie... butthurt dummies dummy*

second one you got right.

marwash22
Whether Marvel OR DC, I really am sick and tired of all these movies coming out lately, its all thats filling the boards and the movie vs forums.

God forbid a vs thread happens to be between 2 normal humans that aren't Jason Bourne. call the police and have the person making you watch them arrested.

also, you can make the human v human threads yourself.

Silent Master

God forbid a vs thread happens to be between 2 normal humans that aren't Jason Bourne.

Then don't watch the movies or post in the threads.

You have the ability to start as many topics involving normal humans as you like.

riv6672
lol you guys are so mean! laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
I haven't seen Thor 3 yet, but they discuss Marvel/Superhero movie fatigue a little bit...

KgBWLAKxi-c

TethAdamTheRock
They are just starting to get good

Patient_Leech
^ That's sort of the point. They are having to get a little weirder and more creative because the formula is getting old. But Thor 3 does apparently still hold to the formula some.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I haven't seen Thor 3 yet, but they discuss Marvel/Superhero movie fatigue a little bit...

KgBWLAKxi-c They are making huge profits with no sign of slowing down. Who cares if some losers don't like them. Don't watch them. Continue to rewatch Riddick until you die.

Patient_Leech
^ You're awfully defensive there, quanch. Did your butt-plug come out?

quanchi112
^ You're awfully defensive there, quanch. Did your butt-plug come out? When you cry over these films it's appalling. Do not go see them but just shut the **** up about it.

Mindship
Tired of superhero movies? Hell no. Not ordinary no: Hell no.

It's as if superhero comics had been patiently waiting for the development of CGI effects to bring this larger-than-life genre, finally, to the big screen. They were made for each other. And now that it's here, we are goin' full throttle, to the delight of every kid (even those much older) who has ever loved reading superhero comics.

I could see if the movies were horribly written and were relying largely on FX, but this is not the case (well, not with Marvel anyway; and IMO, DC finally scored a solid with Wonder Woman). But these films are often well-crafted on several levels: writing, character development, humor, etc.

Also good news: CGI + kaiju.

riv6672
^^^you nailed it.
Technology finally caught up to comics, and the script writing, too.
Gone are the days of Shaq as Steel, in an outfit that was Krazy Glue'd together.

roughrider
No, why would I be tired of it? Growing up in the 70's & 80's, all we got was a single comics related film maybe every three years. Same for Star Wars movies. But now it's a golden age for Marvel and (to a lesser extent)DC movies, where they aren't just the top moneymakers of the year but are critically respected, too (unlike Transformers and many other geek franchises.) And we've got Star Wars back dominating as well - there's room for them all!

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Mindship

It's as if superhero comics had been patiently waiting for the development of CGI effects to bring this larger-than-life genre, finally, to the big screen. They were made for each other. And now that it's here, we are goin' full throttle, to the delight of every kid (even those much older) who has ever loved reading superhero comics.

I could see if the movies were horribly written and were relying largely on FX, but this is not the case (well, not with Marvel anyway; and IMO, DC finally scored a solid with Wonder Woman). But these films are often well-crafted on several levels: writing, character development, humor, etc.

great post

CPT Space Bomb
I think everyone is just waiting for Infinity War. That movie is going to make ALL THE MONEY.

I still love GOOD comic movies. So, to answer your question.....not one bit.

Tzeentch
I'm not tired of superhero films, just shit ones. Most of them are shit unfortunately.

TheVaultDweller
I think part of the issue is actually that people are holding these films to a higher standard than they might have, say, 15 years ago. Back then, people were just happy if they got an X-Men movie, or a Spiderman movie, or whatever. Now, we've had so many of them, people can afford to be a bit more picky about it. I mean the MCU alone has now had 17 films, with the release of Thor Ragnarok. And that's ignoring the one-shots, tv shows etc. Then you have DC and Fox also making films, as well as other names or adaptations that occasionally get thrown into the pot, like Ninja Turtles etc.

I mean if something like X1 had to come out now, a lot of people would likely consider it pretty generic.

Mindset
Not necessarily tired, but I'm not excited for most of them.

Patient_Leech

Yeah, but at the same time it's dominating the market and turning adults into man-children who can't or don't appreciate anything else. Many of you man-children on this board don't talk about anything else but this childish nonsense. Some of the comic films do touch on some interesting and important topics, but many of them don't. Many of them are just childish bullshit. So in a way it's hurting the creativity that we see coming out of Hollywood.

socool8520
^ I agree, but it depends on the Superhero movie. The X-Men movies were bad imo. I was very disappointed with how Wolverine is portrayed in the films.

The Spider-Man revamp (most recent) was a turn in the right direction though. I also really enjoyed Deadpool.

Mindship
Yeah, but at the same time it's dominating the market and turning adults into man-children who can't or don't appreciate anything else. Many of you man-children on this board don't talk about anything else but this childish nonsense. Some of the comic films do touch on some interesting and important topics, but many of them don't. Many of them are just childish bullshit. So in a way it's hurting the creativity that we see coming out of Hollywood. That's $$bottom-line$$ thinking for ya. Hollywood historically runs trends into the ground until everyone is sick of them and revenue drops (and then they wait 20 years until it's remake time). Creativity suffers whenever profit rules, regardless of genre or medium. But I don't think we're there yet with the superhero stuff. There are still some great flicks coming out (eg, Hidden Figures, La La Land) in other genres.

CPT Space Bomb
Yeah, but at the same time it's dominating the market and turning adults into man-children who can't or don't appreciate anything else. Many of you man-children on this board don't talk about anything else but this childish nonsense. Some of the comic films do touch on some interesting and important topics, but many of them don't. Many of them are just childish bullshit. So in a way it's hurting the creativity that we see coming out of Hollywood. Riddick fanboy......posts on fanboy forums......calls everyone else man-children.....

Checks out.

socool8520
Yeah, but at the same time it's dominating the market and turning adults into man-children who can't or don't appreciate anything else. Many of you man-children on this board don't talk about anything else but this childish nonsense. Some of the comic films do touch on some interesting and important topics, but many of them don't. Many of them are just childish bullshit. So in a way it's hurting the creativity that we see coming out of Hollywood.

Well to be fair, a lot of people go to the movies to escape reality for 1hr-2hrs. Do I want to me reminded how racist we were/are with yet another slavery/oppression movie? How about the unrealistic nature of the RomCom?

This over-saturation of genres is not exclusive to comic book movies and honestly, I'm down for an activity the brings me away from all the bs going on in the world right now.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Riddick fanboy......posts on fanboy forums......calls everyone else man-children.....

Checks out.
That's $$bottom-line$$ thinking for ya. Hollywood historically runs trends into the ground until everyone is sick of them and revenue drops (and then they wait 20 years until it's remake time). Creativity suffers whenever profit rules, regardless of genre or medium. But I don't think we're there yet with the superhero stuff. There are still some great flicks coming out (eg, Hidden Figures, La La Land) in other genres.

Yup, I tend to agree, Mindship. And despite CPT's BS there I have tried ad nauseam to bring about a more diverse film discussion experience here. But these boards are dominated by superhero and comicbook boners. Everything else just gets ignored.

quanchi112
Yup, I tend to agree, Mindship. And despite CPT's BS there I have tried ad nauseam to bring about a more diverse film discussion experience here. But these boards are dominated by superhero and comicbook boners. Everything else just gets ignored. This helps the movie industry since it keeps it afloat. I can't stand crybabies like you who cry about a diverse film discussion when he champions the pitiful Riddick franchise. This is a site dominated by comic book and Star Wars fans. Go elsewhere you crybaby.

socool8520
The Riddick series isn't too bad although the 1st and 3rd movie are the exact same movie. lol

quanchi112
Originally posted by socool8520
The Riddick series isn't too bad although the 1st and 3rd movie are the exact same movie. lol In terms of creativity this series is average at best. Popularity isn't something that has ever known the Riddick franchise and it's ironic he complains about comic book films while he lusts over mediocrity.

socool8520
Well these days, creativity is hard to come by. Even the gripping dramas have been done before. several times. As I stated earlier, every genre has been over saturated at one point or another. I'll treat comic movies as I would any other movie; watch what interests me, and discard what doesn't.

quanchi112
Originally posted by socool8520
Well these days, creativity is hard to come by. Even the gripping dramas have been done before. several times. As I stated earlier, every genre has been over saturated at one point or another. I'll treat comic movies as I would any other movie; watch what interests me, and discard what doesn't. Thats what every consumer should do but complaining about people thoroughly enjoying the comic book genre is crybaby stuff.

socool8520
Honestly, I would say the genre is getting better when compared to the awful comic movies of the past. The wider audience and cutting edge graphics have allowed for more effort to be put into them. You get the occasional FF shit show, but you are now getting gems like Deadpool.

Patient_Leech
Manchildren incapable of intelligent film discussion. Case and point: quanchi. laughing out loud

quanchi112
Manchildren incapable of intelligent film discussion. Case and point: quanchi. laughing out loud Hypocrite who comes onto a site where men talk about fantasy and their passions and complains it doesn't sync up with your taste. Do not participate in the discussions and go elsewhere. Quit hanging around to ***** and moan like fly does. It's nauseating.

HulkIsHulk
Apparently only the R rated, dark, gritty and 18+ movies are worth watching lol

playa1258
Just don't watch them.

HulkIsHulk
And adults are not supposed to cater their inner child. Sorry no do

socool8520
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Apparently only the R rated, dark, gritty and 18+ movies are worth watching lol

Nah, that was just the first example that came to mind. I said I enjoyed the new Spider-Man movie and I enjoyed the first two Thor Movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.