Infinity Gauntlet VS Crisis on Infinite Earths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WolverineX25
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/2177/ICO000240._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

VS

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c5/Antimonitorcoie.png/220px-Antimonitorcoie.png

Which is the greater saga?

1. In impact to their respective universes
2. In over-all creativity and storyline
3. Threat-Level to their Respective Characters and Realms
4. In Comic Book Cultural Impact
5. Your Personal Favorite

?

zopzop
Crisis on Infinite Earths for 1-5, easily. COIE wins simply because of the company wide impact it had on DC, the IG saga pales in comparison.

cdtm
Both haven't aged all that well, imo.

COIE clearly had a much bigger impact, on every level. IG, for the most part, is a story that catored to the "cosmic" nerds who like power tripping, and hit a big "reset" button by events end, and mostly only mattered to Thanos and his close circle of supporting characters going forward.

That said, I think I'd rather read IG today then COIE, and think it told a much better story overall.

WolverineX25
Thank you guys for your feedback. Here is my take:

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
2. Infinity Gauntlet
3. Equal
4. Infinity Gauntlet
5. Infinity Gauntlet

I personally think that Infinity Gauntlet (And the Infinity War and Infinity Crusade that follow after) is a better composed story arc than Crisis on Infinite Earths. Both are massively creative and have had major impact in the comic book world and in their respective fictional universes, but the Infinity Gauntlet truly portrayed a hungry villain's rise to ultimate power and the consequences that follow when a mortal achieves godhood.

What I loved the most about the conclusion of IG is that despite becoming the God of an Entire Universe, Thanos never became enlightened or better for it. Perhaps the experience proved to him how addicting power can be, but as with Adam Warlock, Cosmic Supremacy did not make either of them better people - they were still the same flawed broken characters they've always been, just with the power of a supreme being. As a concept I felt it was stronger than Crisis.

abhilegend
Originally posted by WolverineX25
Thank you guys for your feedback. Here is my take:

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
2. Infinity Gauntlet
3. Equal
4. Infinity Gauntlet
5. Infinity Gauntlet

I personally think that Infinity Gauntlet (And the Infinity War and Infinity Crusade that follow after) is a better composed story arc than Crisis on Infinite Earths. Both are massively creative and have had major impact in the comic book world and in their respective fictional universes, but the Infinity Gauntlet truly portrayed a hungry villain's rise to ultimate power and the consequences that follow when a mortal achieves godhood.

What I loved the most about the conclusion of IG is that despite becoming the God of an Entire Universe, Thanos never became enlightened or better for it. Perhaps the experience proved to him how addicting power can be, but as with Adam Warlock, Cosmic Supremacy did not make either of them better people - they were still the same flawed broken characters they've always been, just with the power of a supreme being. As a concept I felt it was stronger than Crisis.
laughing out loud

Infinity Gauntlet/War/Crusade are pale imitations of Starlin's original cosmic cube saga.

To even compare it to COIE in terms of influence or story is lulzworthy. Heck even Supergirl or Flash's death are better than anything in IG saga.

Stoic
I guess it boils down to personal preference. They both had their merits and short comings. Comparatively speaking you really can't compare them, as they had completely different direction.

MrMind
COIE has more influence and was in a bigger scale, also made the biggest impact as far as any cross over events concerned. basically decided the direction of DC comics in the next 30 years. that's why everything in dc has been viewed as pre-crisis or post-crisis, hell even in battleboards
however with marvel popularity rising Infinity Gauntlet has grew into a more well known story

Zack M
COIE is the mother of all events, imo.

xJLxKing
I liked Infinity Gauntlet more. Although, COIE definitely had a bigger impact. With that said, I somewhat dislike COIE. I have never liked comics that try to put multiple version of the same character in one story for the sake of creating a "bigger scope"

Insane Titan
COIE was boring

quanchi112
IG is one of the best storylines of all time. It's inspired one of the most anticipated films of all time as well. Coie is very forgettable. It's about preference in the end but to me IG is on another level.

Digi
Both hold up fairly well imo. Trying to laugh down opposing opinions over what is an entirely subjective opinion shows nothing except immaturity.

The upcoming movies will threaten to place IG as a cultural #1. But COIEs was legitimately company-changing at the time. It refreshed and streamlined DC and was arguably the only necessary reboot in major-company comic history. For my money, it felt more epic. And both also serve as reminders of how much more issue space they used to give big events compared to more modern ones. I miss the longer-form events as a storytelling format, relative to the usual 6-8 issues (and shorter, less packed issues) they're given today, as well as the endless tie-ins that aren't quite required but also lose something if you're not reading them. These self-contained, lengthy, epic stories were excellent, and a big reason I got into comics originally.

tkitna
COIE sucked and was very unenjoyable.

IG rocked and was fun.

quanchi112
Digi, there are two tribes here marvel and dc now choose wisely.

Digi
Originally posted by quanchi112
Digi, there are two tribes here marvel and dc now choose wisely.

Cool.

thumb up

abhilegend
Originally posted by tkitna
COIE sucked and was very unenjoyable.

IG rocked and was fun.
IG was such a mess that George Perez left it to pencil War of the Gods.

It's got a few cool moments but after issue 3 it just drags on.

SithLantern93
COIE, easily.

WolverineX25
Crisis on Infinite Earths is far more crucial to DC then Infinity Gauntlet was to Marvel, because the events of IG were reversed. So in terms of impact, COIE is the more consequential event.

The Infinity Gauntlet, in my opinion, is just a better story. Yes, it has its flaws and it has some PIS - why the Living Tribunal refused to subdue Thanos, but had no problem forcing Adam Warlock to relinquish the gauntlet was complete stupidity and a story telling cop out - yes. But IG is still a greater story because of its concept.

Yes, Crisis was EPIC. There is no doubt. I love Crisis on Infinite Earths. Don't get me wrong. But the concept wasn't as strong to me as Infinity Gauntlet. COIE was very simply - the Anti-Monitor is using his power to destroy realities at a time. Our heroes must stop this cosmic tragedy. It's a classic good vs evil, defying the greatest odds cosmic battle. Great. Plenty of those.

With the Infinity Gauntlet it's not like that - you have Thanos, a pyschologically tormented being who finally achieves cosmic supremacy only to realize it's just not enough. Becoming "GOD" achieved nothing. Thanos could not win over Mistress Death. Despite all of his achieved power, she not only refused to love him, she actually ended up hating him. To make matters worse, she literally saved the devil from Thanos and joined Galactus and the cosmic alliance, betraying Thanos, in an attempt to stop him.

Thanos thought that ultimate power would make him worthy of Mistress Death's love. It didn't. He thought it would make him happy. He was just as miserable with such power, if not more so. Adam Warlock then obtained the gauntlet. He obtained no more peace or happiness than Thanos did. Power or Godhood did not "fix" these characters. They were still **** ups.

IG is just a more intelligent and meaningful story than COIE is. Both great work. But IG takes this one for me.

Zack M
Both are smart stories. Infinity Gauntlet rank is # 13 in comic book stories of all time with 668 points.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-top-storylines-15-13/2/

Let's see where COIE ranks. Probably in the top 10.

RealityWarper
I enjoyed both. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by SithLantern93
COIE, easily. Quit being immature the right choice is IG.

vansonbee
IG is one of the best storylines of all time. It's inspired one of the most anticipated films of all time as well. Coie is very forgettable. It's about preference in the end but to me IG is on another level. thumb up

tkitna
Originally posted by abhilegend
IG was such a mess that George Perez left it to pencil War of the Gods.

It's got a few cool moments but after issue 3 it just drags on.

The DC Universe was such a mess that COIE was needed to try and fix it. It didn't work.

Zack M
The story itself (COIE) was pretty awesome.

cdtm
Quit being immature the right choice is IG.

How can an event that doesn't have Superman be the right choice?

Because Superman wins. Superman always wins.

abhilegend
Originally posted by tkitna
The DC Universe was such a mess that COIE was needed to try and fix it. It didn't work.
That says something to IG because Perez didn't leave COIE in middle.

And hello there marvel zombie.

cdtm
Originally posted by abhilegend
That says something to IG because Perez didn't leave COIE in middle.

And hello there marvel zombie.

At least DC tried to fix things.

Marvel just doesn't care. They messed up things even worse with their time travel and "what if's", and they dealt with that by saying "Doesn't count!" Doombots/clones, massive retcons, and alt timelines over reboots.

So now time travel = new universe, every time. Even in The Reigning, where Thor remembers everything he did, it's still an "alternate reality" because of the gimmick writing where future Wolverine dies to pull in fans every new comic launch..

quanchi112
Originally posted by cdtm
How can an event that doesn't have Superman be the right choice?

Because Superman wins. Superman always wins. The delusions of a fanboy. Superman didn't win at the box office with Justice league. He didn't win against Batman in Batman v. Superman either. Your fanboyism isn't how to debate. Marvel has won the war over public perception. It isn't close, kiddo.

Zack M
COIE made it into the top 10 with 867 votes. Kingdom Come at #7.

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-top-storylines-9-7/

leonidas
in terms of sheer historical merit, IG is...nothing, and coie set a standard that every mega-event afterwards has tried to follow. it literally began the era of mega stories. as far as enjoyability--perez has never been a fave of mine. too text heavy. he doesn't let the artwork do the talking as much as others do and did. it was a bit of a chore to read. as far as the ig arc--i sort of liked it, but never found there to be any real suspense. the IG made thanos more powerful than everyone. it is the epitome of a plot device loss. some cool battle scenes but i've always found it overrated in terms of story.

the 2-part thanos quest was BY FAR the coolest part of that arc to me. the ending and the story itself was meh. /shrug

xJLxKing
What were the top 6?

DarkSaint85
Notbeen announced yet.

Zack M
Dark Phoenix will probably be there.

xJLxKing

Zack M
Sinestro Corps already appeared. Watchmen hasn't.

leonidas
watchmen will likely be at or near the top. also overrated imo. /shrug was dark knight in yet?

xJLxKing

tkitna
Killing Joke will probably be up there too.

Damborgson
What did Secret Wars 1 rank?

xJLxKing
Originally posted by leonidas
watchmen will likely be at or near the top. also overrated imo. /shrug was dark knight in yet?
You guessed right

basilisk
Infinity Gauntlet started off with an interesting premise but its simplistic plot ultimately failed to generate any real drama or excitement, and it fizzled out with the well-worn reset-button ending. That said I'll admit it had a few fun moments here and there. Historically though it is a pretty forgettable story with the single exception of it fleshing out the newly introduced Infinity Gauntlet. While not dire like many of Starlin's later efforts, looking back it probably did contain the seeds of his later mediocrity and marked his descent into recycling past stories over and over and turning his works into his increasingly fannish "my pet characters can beat everyone else's characters" stuff. Definitely not top 20.

COIE - well it may have been a bit clunky in parts, but there's no doubt it set the standard for massive universe-shaking mega crossovers. Both in the industry and in the comics themselves its influence is still felt. And in a few places it did manage to have some real drama and suspense, and some genuinely emotional death scenes (and not just for the big characters). It was far from perfect but I think holding its place in this year's top 10 after so many decades is justified.

leonidas
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.