(No spoilers please) Did you like TLJ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
Movie comes out today! Please vote on whether you liked it or not.

Zenwolf
I thought it comes out Friday?

Rebel95
First showings are tonight

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Rebel95
First showings are tonight

For all or just early screenings? Or do you mean at 12am? I’m getting conflicting information myself.

ares834
It opens at 6 PM in America.

Kurk
I'm going Saturday. Please people, give it at least a week from today before ruining it. Emperor Trump did it to me in the battlebar.

NewGuy01
I'm seeing it in a few hours.

Psychotron
It was total shit.

Azronger
IT SUCKED

Kurk
Well this is a bummer. Was the plotline at least unique this time? Disregard the Mary Sue/SJW stuff. How about character development?

DarthAnt66
People saying it sucked before it even came out.

Rofl

Azronger
It came out here...

Azronger
Originally posted by Kurk
Well this is a bummer. Was the plotline at least unique this time? Disregard the Mary Sue/SJW stuff. How about character development?

No spoilers, don't worry.

The first half was an ESB rehash in disguise. The second half was unique. Luke is a both a loser and a godlike badass (great homage to Dark Empire and EU Grandmaster Luke. Definitely the strongest Force user in Canon. Loved it). Leia was awesome. Snoke was a chump. Rey was an even bigger Mary Sue. Rose is the dumbest character ever. Finn was bland. Poe and Kylo were cool this time around though.

All in all, better than TFA. It had a chance to be a solid 7/10, but then they ruined it with one scene. I'd say maybe 4/10 in the end. Tied with AotC as the second worst Star Wars movie imo.

DarthAnt66
Where's that?

Azronger
Countries that aren't the US exist, you know (what am I saying, of course you don't).

Psychotron

The plot is the not-Empire striking back at the not-rebels. The whole movie is basically a long car chace in space. That worked for Fury Road, but didn't work here.

Rey doesn't get any and Luke is a passive, cowardly ******* in this one. In fact, Luke's character is a complete 180 from RotJ. Only Kylo got some development and he's pretty much the only good part of this movie for me.

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Rofl

It's almost like countries other than the USA exist.

FreshestSlice

Rofl
Half the movie is online already.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
It opens at 6 PM in America.

? So they were lying on the advertisement that it comes out Friday, wtf? I mean great it comes out today at 6pm, but they could have gotten it right with the day.

ares834

Zenwolf
Tbh I haven't really been to a movie in forever, so I didn't know that. I usually just went by the advertised date if I actually did go, so I never bothered checking if a movie actually came out earlier.

Total Warrior

Zenwolf
The toll of being a hardcore SW fan, I'm probably gonna see it tonight.

Kurk
Captain Phasma? I was looking forward to her.

Have fun Zenwolf...report back to us when you get a chance.

samappo
Sticks to formula: "whinge whinge it's just the same as the OT"

Deviates from formula: "whinge whinge *autistic screeching*

The movie was fine, with some excellent twists.

I don't find the portrayal of Luke to be that bad. He's obviously broken and he really needs an anonymous kick up the ass to actually get into his right state of mind.

FreshestSlice
Captain Phasma? I was looking forward to her.

Movie had a treat for you then.

Raptor22
Went in with very low expectations and was pleasantly suprised. It was definitely better than TFA. I actually thought they did a good job with Luke and that was my biggest worry coming into it.

Though not without flaws, it was definitely better than I thought it would be.

DarthAnt66
Loved it!!!

ares834
It was alright. Had some great moments but not a fan with what they did with Luke. It's certainly nowhere near as bad as TPM. And at least it was fresh and surprising unlike TFA.

FreshestSlice
Loved it!!!
Literally no one saw this coming.

DarthAnt66
Was 10/10. Honestly no major complaints. What a ride!

ares834
I gotta say, I am really looking forward to Rian's SW trilogy now. I had some major gripes with this film, but that was mainly because of what JJ set up in TFA and how Rian treated the original characters. TLJ took some massive risks and it treated the force in the best way since ESB. I think he could create a very entertaining trilogy about ancient Jedi and I pray that is what we are getting.

With all that said, I can't say I'm too excited for Ep 9.

FreshestSlice
I don't see how you can blame JJ for anything that happened in this film aside from where they found Luke. Rian had free reign, and not a single plotline that was in TFA was resolved in this one aside from who Rey's parents are.

ares834
Which was my biggest problem with the film. The Luke/Rey story line was compelling but completely OOC. I can also blame JJ for resetting the galaxy to ANH, and I do.

UCanShootMyNova
Honestly no major complaints.

It's gotta be a 10/10 then. It's not as if on every other 1-10 scale a decent movie would rate a 5 or 6. Lmao.

quanchi112
Great film.

darthbane77
Originally posted by Azronger
No spoilers, don't worry.

The first half was an ESB rehash in disguise. The second half was unique. Luke is a both a loser and a godlike badass (great homage to Dark Empire and EU Grandmaster Luke. Definitely the strongest Force user in Canon. Loved it). Leia was awesome. Snoke was a chump. Rey was an even bigger Mary Sue. Rose is the dumbest character ever. Finn was bland. Poe and Kylo were cool this time around though.

All in all, better than TFA. It had a chance to be a solid 7/10, but then they ruined it with one scene. I'd say maybe 4/10 in the end. Tied with AotC as the second worst Star Wars movie imo. I agree for the most part, Az. But how is Luke the strongest Force user in canon? He did almost nothing impressive, and the one feat he does have isn't exactly super impressive.

Zenwolf
Alright so I'm back from it...it was as I expected, it was decent, I felt some stuff dragged on a little too long, some scenes were nice and I liked the various animals. Some stuff though, was really...I don't wanna say I didn't like but I didn't hate either.

Psychotron
No wonder Star Wars has become shit when supposed fans say there was nothing wrong with Luke's characterization. Dude goes from someone, who fights to redeem his father (who is literally space Hitler) to the end to a guy willing to assassinate his nephew in his sleep because he sensed some darkness in him.

You people will eat anything up as long as it has the Star Wars brand.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Psychotron
No wonder Star Wars has become shit when supposed fans say there was nothing wrong with Luke's characterization. Dude goes from someone, who fights to redeem his father (who is literally space Hitler) to the end to a guy willing to assassinate his nephew in his sleep because he sensed some darkness in him.

Never said anything about Luke's character, but if you must know I really didn't like it. A far cry from his Legends counterpart and I knew I was gonna leave with a sour taste in my mouth.

Also I don't really much like all of the new Star Wars stuff either.

The Merchant
Lukes characterization was awful. Episode 6 Luke was a better Jedi Master than Post episode 6 Luke. He went from being able to see the good in one of the most powerful Dark Lords of the Sith that he has every right to hate, to giving in to a gut feeling that he should kill his nephew that hasn't done anything yet and try and curb the growing darkness he sensed. That's horrible writing.

Psychotron
Originally posted by The Merchant
Lukes characterization was awful. Episode 6 Luke was a better Jedi Master than Post episode 6 Luke. He went from being able to see the good in one of the most powerful Dark Lords of the Sith that he has every right to hate, to giving in to a gut feeling that he should kill his nephew that hasn't done anything yet and try and curb the growing darkness he sensed. That's horrible writing.

Agree 100%. Imagine if Yoda pulled that shit in ESB because Luke was brash and emotional like his father was.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
Never said anything about Luke's character, but if you must know I really didn't like it. A far cry from his Legends counterpart and I knew I was gonna leave with a sour taste in my mouth.

Also I don't really much like all of the new Star Wars stuff either.

I wasn't referring to you specifically.

relentless1
some stuff i really liked like Lukes stance on the OG Jedi (a viewpoint ive always had myself) and the outcome of Reys meeting with Snoke and Kylo was great also but I could've done without the entire ending sequence and the films storyline between the First Order and the restistance TBH; that was bad storytelling

The Lost

Originally posted by The Merchant

I added spoiler tags to both of your posts, since reading a post title was too hard for both of you. What else was challenging for both of you? Paying attention to the film, apparently.

Luke does not give into a feeling to kill his nephew, nor was he willing to assassinate him. Kylo's perspective when he explains it to Rey when they are communicating through the force is that Luke was going to murder him and was in the middle of swinging at him, which we find out isn't true. How do we find this out? Later on, Luke tells Rey the truth and mentions that he (Luke) had a vision/sense about the horrible things Kylo would do (and the darkness inside of him) and had a "passing feeling" after igniting his saber that immediately went away, leaving him with "shame and guilt." Kylo wakes up, misunderstands it as Luke wanting to murder him, and then Kylo collapses the roof on Luke.

quanchi112
laughing out loud

Psychotron
Originally posted by The Lost
I added spoiler tags to both of your posts, since reading a post title was too hard for both of you. What else was challenging for both of you? Paying attention to the film, apparently.

Luke does not give into a feeling to kill his nephew, nor was he willing to assassinate him. Kylo's perspective when he explains it to Rey when they are communicating through the force is that Luke was going to murder him and was in the middle of swinging at him, which we find out isn't true. How do we find this out? Later on, Luke tells Rey the truth and mentions that he (Luke) had a vision/sense about the horrible things Kylo would do (and the darkness inside of him) and had a "passing feeling" after igniting his saber that immediately went away, leaving him with "shame and guilt." Kylo wakes up, misunderstands it as Luke wanting to murder him, and then Kylo collapses the roof on Luke.

If you actually believe that the Luke Skywalker from the OT would EVER approach his sister and best friend's son with a weapon drawn WHILE HE'S SLEEPING then you have no idea who Luke Skywalker is. A "passing feeling" is not an excuse. Luke would never do that, especially not to Leia's son.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by relentless1
some stuff i really liked like Lukes stance on the OG Jedi (a viewpoint ive always had myself) and the outcome of Reys meeting with Snoke and Kylo was great also but I could've done without the entire ending sequence and the films storyline between the First Order and the restistance TBH; that was bad storytelling

That bit with the FO and Resistance was just so terrible...the FO was so damn stupid...

Rebel95
Looks like most people liked it so far, that's encouraging. About to go see it now!

DarthAnt66
Has a lower rotten tomatoes fan score than TPM and AOTC, I think.

Nephthys
Loved it.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Nephthys
Loved it.
thumb up

Neph, thoughts on Holdo and Poe's storyline?

I think it'll grow on me as time passes.

Dark-Kenshin
Wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. It was . . . okay.

Lord Stark
It was okay.

ares834
It's hard to judge because the movie has some of the best and most compelling moments I've ever seen in SW but it also has some of the worst.

DarthAnt66
thumb up

Zenwolf

Nephthys
thumb up

Neph, thoughts on Holdo and Poe's storyline?

I think it'll grow on me as time passes.

I liked it. I wasn't sure how it would go since initially I thought Poe would be wrong but then it seemed like she was either a traitor or a coward. So it kept me guessing and was a good character arc for Poe to take that pays off in the end.

Of course, I think it kind of falls apart when you ask why she didn't just tell everyone what their plan was from the start.... Worried about traitors?

DarthAnt66
I liked it. I wasn't sure how it would go since initially I thought Poe would be wrong but then it seemed like she was either a traitor or a coward. So it kept me guessing and was a good character arc for Poe to taken.

thumb up

thumb up

Lord Stark
Originally posted by ares834
It's hard to judge because the movie has some of the best and most compelling moments I've ever seen in SW but it also has some of the worst.

Agreed. When it shined it shined but when it failed it ****ing failed.

Nephthys
Nothing in the movie failed as hard any the prequels did. The worst you can say imo is that some parts felt unnecessary, you didn't like where the plot went or that theres some plot holes.

Even the parts I disliked, I wouldn't say were done badly. Everything in the film is very competent, unlike the prequels worst moments.

The Lost
If you actually believe that the Luke Skywalker from the OT would EVER approach his sister and best friend's son with a weapon drawn WHILE HE'S SLEEPING then you have no idea who Luke Skywalker is. A "passing feeling" is not an excuse. Luke would never do that, especially not to Leia's son.

No, it's not an excuse. It's a reason. Also, why wouldn't Luke? Your statement about what Luke would or wouldn't do does not make sense. Luke sensed an evil brewing in Kylo and knew he was already tainted by Snoke so he probably understands Snokes power and influence. He also apparently had a vision of what Kylo would do and what evil he would perform so Luke had a very brief MOMENT. How does that in ANY WAY translate to Luke "just sensing some darkness" in him and how is that Luke being "willing" to assassinate him? He had an incredibly brief moment like a "passing shadow" that he felt tremendous guilt about. Seems like exactly what some masters might do in that position. It also makes Luke a dynamic character instead of some perfect uber Jedi God that can make no mistakes.

DarthAnt66
thumb up thumb up thumb up

Dark-Kenshin
No, it's not an excuse. It's a reason. Also, why wouldn't Luke? Your statement about what Luke would or wouldn't do does not make sense. Luke sensed an evil brewing in Kylo and knew he was already tainted by Snoke so he probably understands Snokes power and influence. He also apparently had a vision of what Kylo would do and what evil he would perform so Luke had a very brief MOMENT. How does that in ANY WAY translate to Luke "just sensing some darkness" in him and how is that Luke being "willing" to assassinate him? He had an incredibly brief moment like a "passing shadow" that he felt tremendous guilt about. Seems like exactly what some masters might do in that position. It also makes Luke a dynamic character instead of some perfect uber Jedi God that can make no mistakes. There's a fine line between being incapable of making mistakes and having an established character act blatantly outside of his character. It's the equivalent to suddenly having Leia run around making her subordinates sleep with her and then telling naysayers "she was never a goddess incapable of making mistakes!" This is a dude who saw the good and conflict in Darth F-cking Vader, someone who has actively played a hand in genocides. It's difficult to believe that a character capable of forgiving of looking past the sins of someone like that would even consider murdering someone who MIGHT go down that path without the audience being supplied with A LOT MORE information than what we were given. All I see is a hamfisted means of keeping Luke Skywalker from outshining the newer characters. Which is a shame because there are a bajillion other ways to do that without gutting everything about the character. Even Mark Hamil fundamentally disagreed with his character's characterization in TLJ.

The Lost
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
There's a fine line between being incapable of making mistakes and having an established character act blatantly outside of his character. It's the equivalent to suddenly having Leia run around making her subordinates sleep with her and then telling naysayers "she was never a goddess incapable of making mistakes!" This is a dude who saw the good and conflict in Darth F-cking Vader, someone who has actively played a hand in genocides. It's difficult to believe that a character capable of forgiving of looking past the sins of someone like that would even consider murdering someone who MIGHT go down that path without the audience being supplied with A LOT MORE information than what we were given. All I see is a hamfisted means of keeping Luke Skywalker from outshining the newer characters. Which is a shame because there are a bajillion other ways to do that without gutting everything about the character. Even Mark Hamil fundamentally disagreed with his character's characterization in TLJ.

That's absolutely ridiculous because your Leia example is truly outside of what the character would do. Luke was already a few steps away from taking out his own father in ROTJ and managed to combat those urges after Vader's threats regarding Leia. EVEN THEN, your Leia comparison discusses Leia actually doing the act, whereas Luke had a passing thought for a split second and it dissipated, leaving him with nothing but shame and guilt in the process. It was a realistic way to demonstrate the practicality of a seasoned master dealing with a new generation of Jedi. Also, keep in mind Luke constructed this order without a terrible amount of guidance. No council, no numerous advice from fellow Masters, etc.

Like I said, a reason and not an excuse.

The Lost
TLJ was ****ing excellent. They did some appropriately risky shit with some of those characters and the story itself. I enjoyed it. It was also great to see the apprentice take out the master in a mainstream canon SW film and not have another OP Emperor-like character be the central villain once again. The way it was done was great as well,
seeing as Snoke was obviously a man with incredible force ability and Kylo used an opportunity to outwit Snoke using that. It was ****ing great.

DarthAnt66

Dark-Kenshin
That's absolutely ridiculous because your Leia example is truly outside of what the character would do. Luke was already a few steps away from taking out his own father in ROTJ and managed to combat those urges after Vader's threats regarding Leia. EVEN THEN, your Leia comparison discusses Leia actually doing the act, whereas Luke had a passing thought for a split second and it dissipated, leaving him with nothing but shame and guilt in the process. It was a realistic way to demonstrate the practicality of a seasoned master dealing with a new generation of Jedi. Also, keep in mind Luke constructed this order without a terrible amount of guidance. No council, no numerous advice from fellow Masters, etc.

Like I said, a reason and not an excuse. In OT, his desire to kill Vader was FUELED by the Emperor AND VADER actively tempting and prodding him towards the dark side. If you'll recall, he initially had ZERO intention of fighting anybody and was content dying on the death star . Ultimately, he overcame the Emperor and Vader's temptations and was unmoved despite being fried nearly to death by the Emperor's force lightning. Here, we're talking about a Luke who is not only not being manipulated by a master of evil, but has already completed his arc; a Luke who has already learned his lesson and fully seen the error of the dark side and that how good can be found in even people as evil as Vader. Are we really to believe that the thought of killing Kylo in cold blood would even REGISTER in his mind given every lesson he had been established as having learned in the OT? I don't think so.

I don't think your distinction for the Leia comparison matters. Based on what we know about Leia's character, even the mere thought or temptation of having such inclinations about her subordinates would NEVER even register in her head, even for a moment. It's antithetical to everything that has been established about her character. Same goes for Luke. As of the moment he defiantly throws away his lightsaber and tells the epitome of evil himself that he'll never join the darkside, he is shown and established to be beyond such inclinations. Like Rey and much like he did with his father years earlier, he would have seen the conflict in Kylo and would actively gesture him towards the light while being reminded of the lessons he had already learned himself while being tempted by the dark side. Any efforts to put him down would've been defensive or the result of a misunderstanding (which would've made more sense as far as this subplot was concerned).

As I've pointed out in other threads, this is NOT to say that a situation where Luke tries to murder Kylo is impossible. Established characters can engage in behavior that greatly contradicts their previous characterizations, but the writers would need to give us A LOT MORE context and information than what we were given. And given the ease by which we see Luke communicate with the likes of Yoda, the idea that a lack of senior guidance led to this departure in his characterization is just not persuasive, IMO.

Rebel95
Saw it. Overall, I thought it was decent. I loved the Kylo/Rey/Snoke scene. Totally didn't see that coming. But it was really long, I feel like a lot could have been left out.

The Merchant

Rebel95
Oh and the fight with the praetorian guards was awesome. Excellent choreography

The Lost
Just doing it to be a jerk now or what?

The Lost

The Lost

DarthAnt66

ares834
Originally posted by Rebel95
Oh and the fight with the praetorian guards was awesome. Excellent choreography

thumb up

Best fight since TPM.

Lord Stark
I also was really sad that even Admiral Ackbar couldn't keep his happy ending in Legends. If they were gonna kill him off like that, why even introduce Vice Admiral Purple Hair? Ackbar could have done the suicide run himself.

Petrus

Zenwolf
I didn't really find anything much to like about any of the battles aside from the Kylo/Rey vs Guards fight, the others were just kinda...eh.

I mean the Kylo vs Luke is ok if you really wanna count it as a fight, but I didn't see it as one really.

Raptor22
Did anyone else get a lesbian vibe between leia and that vice admiral? Maybe it was just me but when they we're saying goodbye, gently holding each other's hand, staring into each other's eyes, and finishing each others sentences, I got the feeling that when Han was away the 2 of them took a few trips south of the border if u know what I mean.

FreshestSlice
It would explain why Leia was so intent on getting Kylo to jank Han, as we all saw coming.

The Lost
Jesus H...

Rebel95

Zenwolf

FreshestSlice
JJ's writing it, so while the plot will probably be more straightforward, I doubt there will be many more planets.

Zenwolf

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Lord Stark
I also was really sad that even Admiral Ackbar couldn't keep his happy ending in Legends. If they were gonna kill him off like that, why even introduce Vice Admiral Purple Hair? Ackbar could have done the suicide run himself.
TBF Ackbar's actor totally died before this movie was filmed iirc, so...

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Emperordmb

True, but it would have been a nice send off even with (Tom Kane?) voicing him

LordOfTheLight
I have mixed feelings about this. It works as a stand alone film, yeah, but as a Star Wars fan, to say that I was disappointed would be a pretty big understatement. Considering only the movies.

Nephthys

On a similar note I've seen people moaning that Lando didn't come back. The actor's 80 years old and barely mobile. Real life can't always bend to the fans wishes.

Emperordmb
In all seriousness though, I enjoyed the movie, the suspense kept me on the edge of my seat, the humor was well done, there was some quality acting in the movie (shout out to Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver, and Carrie Fisher RIP in particular), it was well shot, and I liked how Luke got a redeeming heroic moment at the end. Also Luke's reunion with R2 was gold, I actually like Kylo's character arc, and Rey was less of a Mary Sue in this one. I'm curious to see where they take Supreme Leader Kylo. I also thought there was an effective combination of old story elements from ESB and ROTJ and new ones that it gave me a good vibe.

That being said it certainly has some pretty major flaws and I'm not gonna thoughtlessly suck the koolaid out of its dick. I didn't like Luke pussying out for thirty years and dying at the end of this movie, I really hoped to see better and more from Luke then that... though this was kinda mitigated by TFA already setting me up for that disappointment. The Finn/Rose plotline was pointless to the plot and didn't have much character payoff to compensate, so I didn't really find it a fruitful part of the movie. The backstory of the first order still isn't that compellingly established and Hux is kinda a *****... which is funny... but it makes it impossible to take him seriously as a villain. Also the end scene with the kid fell flat for me and came across as too naked and blatant of an emotional appeal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Luke activating his blade on Kylo shit, I'll have to let that sit with me a bit longer.

Nephthys
People just don't seem to understand how critical Rose and her subplot was to this film and to the franchise as a whole. She has a position of absolute importance and serves a role that only she can out of all the other characters in the movie. Everyone should feel ashamed for not getting what she brings to the table.

The film has to sell well in China.

Beniboybling
thumb up laughing out loud

Also, why has ares stolen my avatar. no

DarthDuelist9
I was confused as hell after seeing it, it had great moments and very conflicting ones. Now, I'm more positive to be honest. I guess it's normal that a lot of people need time to form their opinion considering it's hugely different nature.

PS Did anyone else notice Kylo's Jedi lightsaber? I'm really interested to learn more about his training under Luke.

Emperordmb
People just don't seem to understand how critical Rose and her subplot was to this film and to the franchise as a whole. She has a position of absolute importance and serves a role that only she can out of all the other characters in the movie. Everyone should feel ashamed for not getting what she brings to the table.

The film has to sell well in China.
Ah yes the diversity quota, we need a strong female minority character.

Nephthys
Don't be a toad, her being female has nothing to do with it. Shes a good character, its just that its pretty obvious why she was written into the franchise.

DarthAnt66
Just watched it a third time. Every watch has definitely improved it.

9/10 movie for me. Not better than ROTS or the OT, but beats R1, TPM, AOTC, and TFA.

Emperordmb
Don't be a toad, her being female has nothing to do with it. Shes a good character, its just that its pretty obvious why she was written into the franchise.

A toad? Wtf does that mean?

The Lost
I didn't like Luke pussying out for thirty years and dying at the end of this movie

"Pussying" out for thirty years? How? It couldn't have been that long, seeing as Kylo is around thirty years old and wasn't, like, one years old when Luke was standing over his bed as a Jedi Master.

Emperordmb
"Pussying" out for thirty years? How? It couldn't have been that long, seeing as Kylo is around thirty years old and wasn't, like, one years old when Luke was standing over his bed as a Jedi Master.
Oh shit my bad, a lapse in thing.

Huh, maybe there is hope for the expanded Disneyverse exploring Luke's powaaaah

quanchi112
The second or third best Star Wars film. I'll have to rewatch it to decide were it lies. I can see the reason why the Ot fanatics wouldn't like this but I've never been nostalgic for the Ot trilogy. What's ironic is the same Star Wars fans going crazy on Snoke when Palpatine never had the backstory the prequels gave him in the Ot. The icing on the cake is no one is flocking to my Snoke. His voice (best in Star Wars yes I'm saying his voice is better than Vader's as well), best screen presence, fantastic delivery of lines, great look, and awesome looking robe, and the manner in which he mocked Kylo and Rey was perfect.

He also wasn't trying to recruit Rey and didn't care about her as Palpatine came in his pants over Luke. He just wanted her to die after he took the information he wanted with regards to Luke.

Kurk
What the hell is up with people not being able to read the title to a thread?

Anyway,

Overall I enjoyed TLJ (this is coming from someone who hated TFA).

My overall complaints would be that it seemed to stretch on unnecessarily; a lot of filler could have been removed. The plot contained remnants of tESB, and the original parts weren't amazing or anything.

There were some small details that I questioned.

Some comedic lines were well placed; others were cringey.

Acting was better than TFA overall, but no Oscars here.

Character development left some to be desired. Mediocre at best IMO.

The Good:

Because I inadvertently viewed the 3D version, I can't really comment on the visuals though I'm sure they were good as R1 and TFA.

There were plenty of great scenes that made up for any blandness.

It wasn't as predictable as I thought. Plenty of great plot-twists.

New Line Up (Best-Worst)

1. ANH 7-8/10
2. ESB/RotJ 8-9/10
3. ESB/RotJ 8-9/10
4. RotS 9/10
5. TLJ 7-8/10
6. R1 7-8/10
7. AotC 5-6/10
8. TFA 5/10
9. TPM 4/10

|King Joker|
After my first viewing, I liked the movie but was a little unsure overall. After the second viewing, my opinion on the movie lowered and now I'm just kind of wondering like, what is the point of this story? We've been through the fight against an oppressive Empire before. There's nothing really "new" happening except for tainting the accomplishments of the Rebellion and OT characters. I don't know, I want to like this trilogy (a lot) but it just feels so hollow.

Lord Stark
^I mean those are my biggest gripes with the entire premise of the sequel trilogy. There is way too much hand waving involved to make the plot make sense. The New Republic happening to have their entire armada parked in the Hosnian system is a convenient way for Plotkiller base to reset the status quo with a single firing of its laser.

The First Order being able to sweep in and take over the galaxy in a matter of hours (days?)is retarded not to mention wildly inconsistent with the fact that most of these planets have militias (even Naboo a peaceful planet had a significant militia). When the Death Star destroyed Alderaan it galvanized the galaxy against the Empire, but Starkiller Base nukes the capital of this New Republic and they simper and are ready to bend the knee.

Political side effects have essentially been handwaved. They are so desperate to restore the status quo they have even abandoned calling the Resistance and calling them Rebels. Also...they keep saying they want to restore the Republic...soooo would they call it the New New Republic? Also totally unbelievable Leia would have zero allies in the Outer Rim to aide her. They could have at least added a line like "there are several fleets engaged in battle with the First Order".

What's quite interesting is that in spite of bulldozing through the legacy of the OT to mold the plot rather unnaturally or believably, they still managed to end up with a fairly convoluted movie.

UCanShootMyNova
The worst SW movie. I would even call this a poor/average movie on its own if it wasn't tied to SW in any way.

Nephthys
A toad? Wtf does that mean?

One of those redpill pieces of shit who whines that feminazi's and SJW's are ruining their Star Wars. You're better than that.

Beniboybling
He's not. sad

Emperordmb
One of those redpill pieces of shit who whines that feminazi's and SJW's are ruining their Star Wars. You're better than that.
http://i-resist.com/wp-content/uploads/DBgGWYeXkAAHc1k-1-512x350.jpg

In all seriousness nah, they haven't ruined Star Wars, but being redpilled to the bullshit of the neoprogressive movement doesn't make me a piece of shit.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Beniboybling
He's not. sad

Apparently so.

Emperordmb
I'm sorry I recognize intersectional social justice for the cancer it is.

Kurk
I wasn't really bothered by any SJW messages in the movie as I didn't really see anything obvious. Yeah we had chubby Asian girl acting a bit bold and feminazi/Ellen captain Holdo, but I didn't see any imbalances in power. Rey didn't come off as a Mary Sue in this film.

Edit: was kinda irked by chubby cheeks kissing Finn. Not sure why they had to put that it in and it felt out of place for a SW film. The love stories between Han and Leia and Padme and Anakin were cringey enough. We don't need this casual love stuff.

Zenwolf
I wasn't really bothered by any SJW messages in the movie as I didn't really see anything obvious. Yeah we had chubby Asian girl acting a bit bold and feminazi/Ellen captain Holdo, but I didn't see any imbalances in power. Rey didn't come off as a Mary Sue in this film.

Edit: was kinda irked by chubby cheeks kissing Finn. Not sure why they had to put that it in and it felt out of place for a SW film. The love stories between Han and Leia and Padme and Anakin were cringey enough. We don't need this casual love stuff.

At least the former two had some kind of buildup, this one came out from nowhere! They could have at least worked on it a little bit.

Raisen
it was very hard to sit through

Rage.Of.Olympus
Terrible movie. It wasn't just a shit Star Wars movie but a terrible one in general. Like wtf? I've seen plenty of movies that I thought were somewhat terrible but I could sit through and had some good parts like JLA, but this was legit crap. Terrible writing, poor script, pointless side plots, huge plot holes and don't even get me started on the shitting of everything Star Wars holds dear.

I was half expecting the Admiral to turn to the screen and scold the audience on how fictional male heroes who are badass and live up to the high ideals we expect of them are stupid. Everything we liked about Star Wars is stupid. We need to let it all go and burn. It's time for something new. There is no place for legacies, a nobody is special. The old ways are dead, perfect male heroes we aspire to aren't real and it's time to accept that. Such a deep movie with a sound analysis. **** off. It's like something a second year film year came up and thought was ground breaking.

It was a Star Wars movie without a single light sabre fight and had Leia fly through outer space like Superman. Not a SINGLE one! Wtf? I want my 2.5 hours back. I WISH I liked this movie, I'm jealous of those who did. I'm almost upset I didn't enjoy this POS. I don't understand how it's possible some do but some people also enjoy getting suffocated, I've learned that sometimes people are just odd.

The Lost
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I've learned that sometimes people are just odd.

Likewise.

Rebel95
Yeah I really want to like this movie but so much of it just sucks erm

Rage.Of.Olympus
I'm trying to look for positives but it doesn't even have a single lightsabre fight. I can overlook all the other shit like the lack of world building, the lack of grandeur that you feel in Star Wars (No longer this massive Galaxy far far away a long time ago with many intricate parts coming together) but it didn't have a single lightsabre fight in a movie with Luke (And they shit on his character). Someone explain that to me. WTH man. And the one fight we had was so meh. I would also like to remind people Rey has known about the Force for less than two weeks right? Wow, I wish my parents were nobody junkies so I could also prove that in a world built on of legacies and powerful last names, humble beginnings can lead to greatness. This old hierarchies of the patriarchal society need to go. So deep, so thought provoking, it's making me reflect on the real world. God forbid we want to escape and watch a fantasy epic of a great hero with a powerful legacy overcoming evil. Smh. **** off.

quanchi112
2nd best Star Wars film to date and people as usual are overreacting in their vitriol. Opinions vary, sports.

Beniboybling
Likewise. laughing out loud

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by quanchi112
2nd best Star Wars film to date and people as usual are overreacting in their vitriol. Opinions vary, sports.

Can people not simply think a movie is garbage without it being labeled overreaction?

Haschwalth
Even Mark Hamill hated how they portrayed his character.

quanchi112
Can people not simply think a movie is garbage without it being labeled overreaction? Saying they wish they had their 2 and a half hours back is being pretty dramatic. I suggest rewatching it because it improves on rewatches. I'm not saying this film is perfect and I wouldn't have went in a different direction but it boldly went someone completely brand spanking new. And every single line uttered by Snoke was delivered with perfect execution. Snoke has THE greatest Star Wars voice to date IMO.

DarthAnt66
I suggest rewatching it because it improves on rewatches. \
thumb up x 1000

Darth Thor

quanchi112
Admit you were wrong about Snoke and he's utterly fantastic, D. Thor. Admit every line he delivers is nothing short of perfection.

The_Tempest
It was good.
Not perfect, but Johnson did a good job for how hamstrung he was.

quanchi112
I watched it pretty much back to back yesterday after seeing it Thursday. Going to wait and finally catch it in 3D in a week or so. It's like Looper it dramatically improves upon rewatches. That's a sign of a great film to me.

Beniboybling
Who has this kind of time on their hands. sad

Bentley
I'm pretty sure at this point that people will prefer TLJ to TFA once the dust has settled. Yes, there is questionable stuff in the film but not on par with the worse of the PT.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Who has this kind of time on their hands. sad Anyone with a night off and who loves Snoke and Star Wars. It must be depressing not to have five uninterrupted hours all to yourself. I do hope your dreary existence improves.

Beniboybling
sad

Darth Thor
Admit you were wrong about Snoke and he's utterly fantastic, D. Thor. Admit every line he delivers is nothing short of perfection.

I admit he was really entertaining.

Originally posted by The_Tempest
It was good.
Not perfect, but Johnson did a good job for how hamstrung he was.

Yeah a lot of the weaknesses stem back from TFA.

Rebel95
I suggest rewatching it because it improves on rewatches.
I'll have to go see it again then. Hopefully you're right

Rage.Of.Olympus
^You're going to watch a movie you didn't enjoy the first time hoping it won't be as bad or you'll like it more? Da fuq. Save your money and don't reward them for making a POS.

Saying they wish they had their 2 and a half hours back is being pretty dramatic. I suggest rewatching it because it improves on rewatches. I'm not saying this film is perfect and I wouldn't have went in a different direction but it boldly went someone completely brand spanking new. And every single line uttered by Snoke was delivered with perfect execution. Snoke has THE greatest Star Wars voice to date IMO.

That's you're reasoning for it not being a shit film? Go watch it a few more times and you'll grow to tolerate it more? Well no duh. I'm sure the 20th time someone gets a d*ck up their ass in prison, it doesn't hurt as bad as the first one. You can tolerate anything eventually, doesn't mean you should. thumb down

Yes, Snoke was my favorite part of the movie. It felt like we had an actual Force user on screen. Too bad he died like a random user.

quanchi112
^You're going to watch a movie you didn't enjoy the first time hoping it won't be as bad or you'll like it more? Da fuq. Save your money and don't reward them for making a POS.

That's you're reasoning for it not being a shit film? Go watch it a few more times and you'll grow to tolerate it more? Well no duh. I'm sure the 20th time someone gets a d*ck up their ass in prison, it doesn't hurt as bad as the first one. You can tolerate anything eventually, doesn't mean you should. thumb down

Yes, Snoke was my favorite part of the movie. It felt like we had an actual Force user on screen. Too bad he died like a random user. I am saying it improves. Other posters have agreed with me. This is the second best Star Wars film to me and there's a possibility it could overtake Rots. Both are so enjoyable upon rewatches it's a crime.

You aren't paying attention. Just because the emperor was killed by Vader without the force or a lightsaber by Vader doesn't mean he isn't extremely powerful. Snoke's dialogue, his voice, his look, how he mocked everyone who drew his ire is the stuff of legends.

We have never seen someone outright dominate characters with force power that scares Luke Skywalker. He was beyond direct conflict.

Snoke is by far my favorite Star Wars character ever but Kylo is a step up from Vader to me both in terms of his direction, his evil, and his lightsaber is still the coolest one ever seen in the entire Star Wars mythos. Just watch it again. Trust me.

Rebel95
Looks like most people liked it overall. I still need to see it again to decide whether I liked it or not

Tzeentch
Originally posted by The_Tempest
It was good.
Not perfect, but Johnson did a good job for how hamstrung he was. Wasn't really all that handstrung- he re-wrote swaths of the script at will.

As an example, did you know that in the original script the code-breaker subplot was supposed to be a buddy cop adventure between Poe and Finn? Rian scrapped it right before filming and created Rose because he felt that Poe and Finn "didn't have enough conflict".

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Wasn't really all that handstrung- he re-wrote swaths of the script at will.

As an example, did you know that in the original script the code-breaker subplot was supposed to be a buddy cop adventure between Poe and Finn? Rian scrapped it right before filming and created Rose because he felt that Poe and Finn "didn't have enough conflict".

I meant by the premise of the ST in general and TFA in particular.

Nephthys
Yeah, you can't get out of Luke running away like that after it was established. Might as well do something interesting with it.

The_Tempest
Yeah, you can't get out of Luke running away like that after it was established. Might as well do something interesting with it.

👍

Tzeentch
I have no idea at all what you guys are referring to, as I jumped into the conversation blindly. But that's fair.

Its interesting that Luke's writing is the most controversial aspect of the film. I borderline despise the movie but Luke seemed totally fine to me. The only thing that was stupid is the event that prompted his exile.

Darth Thor

quanchi112
A DC fanboy group with over 2,000 members has admitted to hijacking the fans reactions on rotten tomatoes thus calling it all into question. They are also calling dceu fans to do the same to Black Panther, Solo, and Infinity War. Despicable human garbage if you ask Mr. Reasonable.

TheIndyJedi
bump, what are everybody's thoughts now, 1 year and a bit later?

quanchi112
Best Star Wars film to date.

victreebelvictr
Best Star Wars film to date. RoTS was better. :3

quanchi112
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
RoTS was better. :3 No, but it is close. That is the second best one.

Zenwolf
Don't like it. Know I said it was decent before, but after thinking about it...yeah no.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Don't like it. Know I said it was decent before, but after thinking about it...yeah no.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MisguidedGoodAgouti-max-1mb.gif

HP Legend
It's alright. Not as bad as it's made out to be but it's not the masterpiece some claim it is.

Regarding the films (discounting the novelization for them):

ESB>ROTS>ANH>ROTJ>Rogue One>TLJ>TPM>AOTC>TFA>Solo.

ares834

quanchi112

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>