Snoke's identity *Spoilers*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
How do you guys feel about Snoke dying without us even finding out who he is or what his background is? I was disappointed, I was hoping we'd get some sort of explanation at least. Maybe we'll get more answers in episode 9

ares834
I didn't care. I've never liked the character as I always saw him as a diet Sidious, so I'm glad they didn't waste time explaining his backstory.

DarthAnt66
The movie (and Visual Dictionary) revealed a lot about Snoke, actually.

Snoke calls Darth Vader as "Lord Vader," suggesting Snoke was of the Imperial hierarchy.

Further, we now know that Ben isn't a Vader fanboy. Snoke is. Ben wants to be like Vader because Snoke will beat his ass if he isn't.

Snoke also has a ring with a fragment from Vader's Mustafar castle from Rogue One.

Then we have Snoke recreating the Empire to a T, from hierarchy (ex. Ben and Hux) to clothing (the purple Emperor advisors).

In short, I'd say it's safe to say Snoke was some dark-side wielding person within the Empire who looked up to Vader and Sidious.

A dark side acolyte similar to those shown in Dark Empire, perhaps.

When they both died, he was determined to recreate their accomplishments and honor their legacy.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
I didn't care. I've never liked the character as I always saw him as a diet Sidious, so I'm glad they didn't waste time explaining his backstory.
Nah, him not being explained just makes him even more of Sidious Lite. Him having some actual backstory, in the movie, would set him apart.

The Merchant
What Im super curious is how Luke and the ot cast already know of him pre tfa. Luke even talks about Snoke corrupting Ben during Bens training as a Jedi. I feel Snoke might have been a Dark sider like Ant suggests, but for a while befriended Luke until he revealed his Dark side inclinations. Why Luke didn't destroy him is anyone's guess.

DarthAnt66
I think we'll learn more about Snoke in IX. IIRC they already said we would.

Dark-Kenshin
I like this decision. Snoke reeked of unoriginality and seeing a Palpatine repeat would have been stupid IMO. Hopefully Snoke stays dead and fades away into obscurity where be belongs. Where this movie fails is not building Kylo Ren into a worthy standalone main antagonist. He got close, but after the whole Rey conflict, he turns right back into a pathetic whiny brat unfit to be the leading man.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by DarthAnt66

In short, I'd say it's safe to say Snoke was some dark-side wielding person within the Empire who looked up to Vader and Sidious.
you realize that in no way is this an identity, but rather a profile? It's like saying "I know who the killer is! Hes probably a male victim of child abuse who hates women". That's not an IDENTITY.

As for how I feel about the movies refusal to answer literally any of the questions the fans have been asking about for years now? I don't care, because I'm already aware that they're going to explain all of this shit in the 8 million comics and novels they expect you to buy.

DarthDuelist9
We'll get to know him and his rise through books, shows or whatever. He's like Palpatine, only his fate is different through the TLJ. Although Palpatine didn't appear in ANH and only briefly in ESB so in terms of movietime they aren't that different.

samappo
I feel like, as the OP says, that Snoke had connections to the Imperial Hierarchy from the original empire and to Palpatine. There's just so many parallels in his scenes with the emperor scenes in ROTJ.

Then again, didn't we get hints that he's very very old ? There's not enough information really.

I think there's a clear cut message in The Last Jedi: "Let the past die." Rian Johnson does so much in this movie to get rid of the old cast and original state of affairs. Snoke is most likely a placeholder, someone who took over the emperor's place, who was quite strong in the dark side, and could act as a diet Palpatine.

What's interesting is that he is aware of the balance of the force, "Darkness rises, and light to meet it."

Overall, we will probably have to wait another two years to get any real idea of who he is, unless extra material is released.

Lord Stark
Well it seems the First Jedi theory is debunked at this point.

Beniboybling
He was probably one of Vader's stooges. laughing out loud

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Don't we already know that Sidious sensed Snoke as some sort of origin of dark side energy in the unknown regions? Doesn't sound like he was directly involved with the affairs of the Empire.

Azronger
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Don't we already know that Sidious sensed Snoke as some sort of origin of dark side energy in the unknown regions? Doesn't sound like he was directly involved with the affairs of the Empire.

Unconfirmed Snoke apologist theory that is clearly bullshit.

The Merchant
I don't think that's confirmed.

Galan007
I can't help but think that we haven't seen the last of Snoke, tbh. That is to say: if he is resurrected through *some* means(be them scientific or force-induced), I won't at all be surprised.

I mean, if Maul can inextricably survive getting chopped in half... g007_teehee

juggernaut74
Maybe Snoke was an Inquisitor?

StiltmanFTW
Or a Dark Side Adept, like the ones shown in RotJ.

https://tinyurl.com/y9b8tvsj

Galan007
^ Those were political figureheads, no?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up thumb up thumb up

redpill
The movie (and Visual Dictionary) revealed a lot about Snoke, actually.

Snoke calls Darth Vader as "Lord Vader," suggesting Snoke was of the Imperial hierarchy.

Further, we now know that Ben isn't a Vader fanboy. Snoke is. Ben wants to be like Vader because Snoke will beat his ass if he isn't.

Snoke also has a ring with a fragment from Vader's Mustafar castle from Rogue One.

Then we have Snoke recreating the Empire to a T, from hierarchy (ex. Ben and Hux) to clothing (the purple Emperor advisors).

A dark side acolyte similar to those shown in Dark Empire, perhaps.

When they both died, he was determined to recreate their accomplishments and honor their legacy.

sidious in ROTS and in rebels calls vader lord vader

what about the first jedi theory

redpill
Originally posted by Azronger
Unconfirmed Snoke apologist theory that is clearly bullshit.

based on canon aftermath novel

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by redpill
sidious in ROTS and in rebels calls vader lord vader
You say this as if it disproves my point but it further confirms it.

"Lord Vader" is a title used by those of the Imperial hierarchy (ex. Sidious, Imperial officers, senators) or those with relations to it (ex. Lando during his betrayal).

It's not something that someone would say if they were, say, hidden in the Unknown Regions with no relationship with the Galactic Empire.

Galan007
So are we assuming that Snoke's Praetorian Guards = the Jedi students that Kylo took with him in the wake of his revolt against Luke?

DarthAnt66
The numbers don't match up.

Galan007
In what sense?

Zenwolf
They could still be around, prob gonna see em in Ep 9.

DarthAnt66
In what sense?
8 Guards. 6 Knights of Ren (excluding Kylo).

Galan007
8 Guards. 6 Knights of Ren (excluding Kylo). Then I'm wondering why the Knights of Ren have been inextricably absent in all of this..? What exactly do they DO? ermm

Zenwolf
Then I'm wondering why the Knights of Ren have been inextricably absent in all of this..? What exactly do they DO? ermm

Episode 9! Though it does seem odd that they are absent, unless they decided to not take part in the FO.

DarthAnt66
Anyway, the Knights of Ren are absolutely the "a handful of my students" that Luke mentions "vanished" alongside Ben after the temple slaughter.

As far as we know, there's 6, but concept art shows another that may or may not have been cut for the final movie.

I think it's a definite we'll see and learn more about the Knights of Ren in IX. Abrams has already said he wants to explore the Knights of Ren further.

DarthAnt66
Then I'm wondering why the Knights of Ren have been inextricably absent in all of this..?
To be fair, almost all of TFA and TLJ takes place in the span of a few days at best.

redpill
You say this as if it disproves my point but it further confirms it.

"Lord Vader" is a title used by those of the Imperial hierarchy (ex. Sidious, Imperial officers, senators) or those with relations to it (ex. Lando during his betrayal).

It's not something that someone would say if they were, say, hidden in the Unknown Regions with no relationship with the Galactic Empire.

i was going to say, lando called him lord vader set a trap in esb

so no snoke could just call him lord vader just bc that was how he was known

why would canon aftermath novles talk about some dark origin in the unknown region and send his fleet there

and also that the first prime of the first order look like snoke

Galan007
To be fair, almost all of TFA and TLJ takes place in the span of a few days at best. Indeed, but I still find it odd that Snoke wouldn't have dispatched them in the wake of Kylo's 'failure' in TFA..?

ares834
The First Order just obliterated the Republic's capital. I expect they were dispatched to secure planets and lead fleets.

Zenwolf
The First Order just obliterated the Republic's capital. I expect they were dispatched to secure planets and lead fleets.

I still can't believe the Republic was so dumb as to put their entire armada in one location....among other things.

ares834
They probably were mostly demilitarized. After all, the Old Republic didn't have an army for awhile until the Clones arrived.

Big Gerald
Snoke was absolutely ridiculous. He has cemented his place as the worst character in this series.

Zenwolf
They probably were mostly demilitarized. After all, the Old Republic didn't have an army for awhile until the Clones arrived.

Yeah I did read somewhere they were and I question as to why....I mean Empire or FO aside or whatever. There's still the issue of maintaining peace on all those planets, pirate raids and maybe someone getting too big for their britches that needs to be put down.

Plus given all of what happened, the Republic is just gonna demilitarize again after the thing with the TF and Naboo, which then led into the Clone Wars? Then all the other stuff. It just seems a little silly for them to go back to square one and hope for the best that things will be different.

History repeating itself and all that cliche stuff.

Galan007
The First Order just obliterated the Republic's capital. I expect they were dispatched to secure planets and lead fleets. I see where you're coming from, but my impression is that the First Order's sole focus was placed on wiping-out the handful of Resistance that remained, and worrying about the Republic afterward.

Kurk
Quanchi on suicide watch....

Seriously though, I was pretty disappointed to find this out (even after emperortrump spoiled it in the battle bar) for myself. By no means did we need to see a rehash of the OT, but Snoke had great potential. He came off as being just as, if not more, intelligent/crafty than Palpatine. He survived all those years after all; why kill him now? We better get some kick-ass, in-depth content on him in the literature segment of all of this.

Tzeentch
I can't help but think that we haven't seen the last of Snoke, tbh. That is to say: if he is resurrected through *some* means(be them scientific or force-induced), I won't at all be surprised.

I mean, if Maul can inextricably survive getting chopped in half... g007_teehee

Not a theory here but a brainstorming: I think it would be pretty cool if kylo killing snoke was the actual test, the final push to tilt him fully over to the dark side, and that in the next movie snoke as a spirit is going to try to possess kylo's body and rule the galaxy.

Essentially borrowing the DE plot, but it would at least make up for Smoke getting punked.

playa1258
Snoke was an absolute joke.

StiltmanFTW

And Dark Side Adepts in Legends. Greejatus and Aloo.

Lord Stark
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vane%C3%A9

Maybe this dude or someone like him is Snoke?

Nephthys
I actually just watched that movie and thought that, lol.

Beniboybling
I think its a good bet tbh.

Darth Thor

Galan007
Originally posted by Lord Stark
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Vane%C3%A9

Maybe this dude or someone like him is Snoke? That would explain why Snoke started fangirling over Vader... And also how he had 'watched the Empire rise and fall' or w/e.

DarthAnt66
To be honest, I don't think they've decided on an identity for Snoke yet.

Zenwolf
Well if they're writing by the seat of their pants I wouldn't think they'd have anything down for him. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the next movie, we really only get to the surface level of who Snoke is.

FreshestSlice
To be honest, I don't think they've decided on an identity for Snoke yet.
They haven't.

McP
I haven't read book from SW universe for a long time, but, as I remember, Luceno was suggesting some interesting idea.
During LoE, Jedi were curious, if Sidious' demise, would somehow lead to Dooku's rise in power.
And it was a scene, in Darth Plageuis, when Sidious became stronger after his master's death? Am I wrong?

Parhaps at that point, Sidious and Vader's deaths, could lead their strongest servant (or strongest DS user just after them) to rise in power? Just another suggestion.

Lord Lucien
I didn't care. I've never liked the character as I always saw him as a diet Sidious, so I'm glad they didn't waste time explaining his backstory. This is the correct answer.

The Ellimist
Given that if he were Plagueis this death would be pretty temporary, there's still room for a Plagueis reveal, just saying...

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
What's up?

StiltmanFTW
Rey's part was done fine, but Snoke... smh.

Lord Lucien
F*ck Snoke. He's dead, Jim.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Rey's part was done fine, but Snoke... smh.

I'm conflicted - it was a really epic scene but not necessarily a good strategic move for the trilogy.

Rockydonovang
Not sure why people dislike Snoke as a character. His dialogue is great and the acting and line delivery was spot on.

Killing him off after two scenes was stupid. Really a waste of a potentially great villain.

samappo
Reflecting on it, I initially started praising the movie, now I'm just disappointed. So many things wrong with it. I get that killing Snoke is a new move that breaks away from tradition, but at the same time we get ****ing Kylo Ren as the new main villain, he's not intimidating at all, or even COOL. At least if Vader somehow overthrew the emperor, he'd be a great new villain. Kylo is just a confused Vader worshipper.

HOW IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED:

Rey and Kylo defeat Snoke's guards. Kylo asks Rey to join him. He actually ****ing explains a bit more that it will be something different than the light and dark side. She accepts. Luke senses through the force, he is visibly angry. BAM. END MOVIE.

Next movie: LUKE IS THE VILLAIN. Mark Hamil gets what he wants, which is an evil Luke, we get a badass ****ing new villain who is Darth Vader's son.

Idk, seems like at least a little better than what TLJ did...

DarthAnt66
what are you on

samappo
Bourbon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.