Admiral Holdo respect thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Big Gerald
We must honor this brave woman who provided a perfect foil to garbage characters like Kylo Ren and Snoke. She is a beacon of rationality, courage, and excellent hair aesthetics. Discuss.

Emperordmb
Her hair was stupid.

Big Gerald
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Her hair was stupid.

Someone's jealous they cant get that V I O L E T A E S T H E T I C

Can you at least admit she is the Qui-Gon Jinn to Snoke's Jar Jar

Emperordmb
Nah I actually liked Snoke more as a character than Holdo.

Big Gerald
Nah I actually liked Snoke more as a character than Holdo.

Why?

Emperordmb
Largely because Andy Serkis is a phenomenal actor and seeing a self-righteous person with dyed hair gives off... a very specific vibe...

Kurk
Holdo was a b1tch. Allahu-akbaring was the best thing she did. Originally posted by Emperordmb
Her hair was stupid.
this too.

Big Gerald
Largely because Andy Serkis is a phenomenal actor and seeing a self-righteous person with dyed hair gives off... a very specific vibe...

Self sacrifice is a bad trait now? confused

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Big Gerald
Self sacrifice is a bad trait now? confused
By self-righteous I meant her **** you attitude towards Poe, not her final act.

|King Joker|
I don't think Holdo's snarkiness towards Poe was that unwarranted, honestly. He was kind of being a presumptuous *******.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by |King Joker|
I don't think Holdo's snarkiness towards Poe was that unwarranted, honestly. He was kind of being a presumptuous *******.

I expect him to get court martialed the next movie after all that stuff he pulled.

|King Joker|
I doubt he will, though he should.

Big Gerald
^Nice to have some sensible comments in these threads

UCanShootMyNova

His actions were perfectly reasonable given they didn't tell him anything.

Lord Stark
I liked her. She should have had that role filled by Admiral Ackbar (RIP) though. Would have been a hell of send off, engaging those Star Destroyers at point-blank range. *wipes tear*

|King Joker|
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
His actions were perfectly reasonable given they didn't tell him anything. I was referring to Poe's attitude when he first confronted Holdo, which consisted of an overbearing nosiness and presumption that he needed to know what was happening. And his following actions were definitely not "perfectly reasonable," lol.

UCanShootMyNova
I was referring to Poe's attitude when he first confronted Holdo, which consisted of an overbearing nosiness and presumption that he needed to know what was happening. And his following actions were definitely not "perfectly reasonable," lol.

Asking what the plan for their survival was was being "nosy and presumptuous?" :/

Would appreciate an explanation for why you think they weren't.

darthbane77
The coolest thing Holdo did was die.

|King Joker|
Asking what the plan for their survival was was being "nosy and presumptuous?" :/

Would appreciate an explanation for why you think they weren't. The way he came across gave that vibe, which is why I'm not being hard on Holdo's response to him. She should have made clear what the plan was, yeah, but at the end of the day, she technically didn't have to.

You really want me to explain why mutiny isn't a "perfectly reasonable" response for not being on the in with strategy? LOL.

UCanShootMyNova
]

Translation: "He was committing micro-aggressions so Holdo was justified in not telling him anything and potentially putting the mission at risk as a result."

]

I don't care if she technically didn't have to. Not doing so was stupid. And I dislike the way the movie tries to place the blame on Poe in order to excuse her for that.

]

Tbh I would. If the strategy appears to be to continue running until they're sitting ducks and all dead then I don't see what's wrong with temporarily relieving her of command to save the Resistance. Unless you're telling me you should "obey/trust your officers regardless of their orders."

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by darthbane77
The coolest thing Holdo did was die.

thumb up

|King Joker|
]

Translation: "He was committing micro-aggressions so Holdo was justified in not telling him anything and potentially putting the mission at risk as a result." It was Poe's impulsiveness that put the mission at risk, not her. The reality of military situations is often that the subordinates aren't always clued in on what is going on, which sucks for them, but it happens. Should Holdo have told Poe the plan? Yes. But the fact that she didn't doesn't excuse him acting on his own accord and ****ing shit up. There's a chain of command for a reason.

]

I don't care if she technically didn't have to. Not doing so was stupid. And I dislike the way the movie tries to place the blame on Poe in order to excuse her for that. Poe disobeyed his superior because he didn't trust her and as a result went through with half-baked plans that went behind her back, and they didn't work out. The fault is on Poe, sorry.

]

Tbh I would. If the strategy appears to be to continue running until they're sitting ducks and all dead then I don't see what's wrong with temporarily relieving her of command to save the Resistance. Unless you're telling me you should "obey/trust your officers regardless of their orders." Poe's actions were based on some shaky assumptions of what was happening and arrogance. His failure and misunderstanding at the end was meant to prove that. It was kind of a main character moment for the subplot.

UCanShootMyNova
]

Already addressed this at the bottom of the post. Poe was justified in his actions since he believed what he was doing was their only chance to save the Resistance. A soldier should not mindlessly follow orders. That's how you get the Nazis.

]

The fault is on Holdo for not alerting him of those plans. Did she think everybody would sit idly by while she appeared to lead them to their deaths? If so, that was awfully naive of her.

]

How were his assumptions shaky when she refused to supply him with any information?

ares834
Poe was 100% in the wrong. A soldiers duty is to follow such commands even if they are unable to see the bigger picture. With that said, Holdo is certainly portrayed as being utterly incompetent. Not only does she refuse to tell Poe that she has a plan beyond run away, but she knows he is an impulsive hothead who doesn't listen to authority and should have realized he would come up with his own scheme.

The worst thing is we are supposed to sympathize with her in the end because she was "right". Yuck.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by ares834
Poe was 100% in the wrong. A soldiers duty is to follow such commands even if they are unable to see the bigger picture.

I don't care about "a soldier's duty."

I care about whether or not an individual's actions are justifiable.

Nephthys
TBF Poe's the one who ends up leaking the plan anyway. The second the plan is made known its compromised.

Holdo didn't know how they were being tracked, for all she knew there was a spy or traitor on board. It was probably too much of a risk to let anyone know about it beforehand. In hindsight she should have told Poe but hindsights always a *****.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Nephthys
Holdo didn't know how they were being tracked, for all she knew there was a spy or traitor on board. It was probably too much of a risk to let anyone know about it beforehand.

That's actually a fair point.

Still think Poe was justified from his perspective. It wasn't really anybody's fault tbh.

Total Warrior

Beniboybling
Holdo is a #triggered feminist and I don't like her. mad

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

Beni's got it.

But in all honesty, she was clearly meant to represent an SJW with her dyed hair, putting men in their place and taking about standing up for the "oppressed."

You'd have to be a Beni or Joker not to see it.

UCanShootMyNova
@Total Warrior: I don't care about the chain of command. Soldier's shouldn't follow stupid orders or trust their superiors implicitly.

Nephthys
thumb up

Beni's got it.

But in all honesty, she was clearly meant to represent an SJW with her dyed hair, putting men in their place and taking about standing up for the "oppressed."

You'd have to be a Beni or Joker not to see it.

No she wasn't.

UCanShootMyNova
Yes she was.

UCanShootMyNova
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=648659

Nephthys
Thinking that any female character in a position of power and with a strong, individual will is a secret feminazi/SJW take down of men is just mens insecurities being projected onto the character.

I'm pretty sure this has been said about literally every female character in the new movies so far and its pathetic.

UCanShootMyNova
Thinking a female character with dyed hair, who puts men in their place and talks about standing up for the "oppressed" isn't attempting to interject modern day politics into the movie is just retarded.

thumb up

Beniboybling
thumb up

Beni's got it.

You'd have to be a Beni or Joker not to see it. Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Thinking a female character with dyed hair, who puts men in their place and talks about standing up for the "oppressed" isn't attempting to interject modern day politics into the movie is just retarded.

thumb up You are surely trolling. laughing

Lord Stark

thumb up

Insecure snowflake spotted.

UCanShootMyNova
Lol.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by ares834
Poe was 100% in the wrong. A soldiers duty is to follow such commands even if they are unable to see the bigger picture. With that said, Holdo is certainly portrayed as being utterly incompetent. Not only does she refuse to tell Poe that she has a plan beyond run away, but she knows he is an impulsive hothead who doesn't listen to authority and should have realized he would come up with his own scheme.

The worst thing is we are supposed to sympathize with her in the end because she was "right". Yuck. True statement, both characters were insufferable retards. Poe was a ****ing sperg and as you noted Holdo was just utterly incompetent. Her desire to not let ANYONE except for Leia (I guess) in on her plan was insanely stupid- all the writers had to ****ing do to fix that was implement some spy/saboteur sub-plot and it would have made perfect sense. That's actually what I was expecting the entire time, that it'd be revealed someone on the ship was a canary and she could say "aha! I had to keep the plan on the down low!"

What makes the situation even worse though is that her plan was gay as **** and relied entirely on the writers bending the universe to her will. Since WHEN are capital ships unable to detect small ships? ANH opens with a SD detecting life-pods- the sensors are so accurate they can even detect life-forms inside them. In ESB Vader's fleet had no problem tracking the Millennium Falcon for lightyears. Where is this bullshit that the FO needs Non-union Brad Pitt to tell them that there's 100-foot long troop transports flying around in front of their ****ing faces coming from?

"Dude we can only scan for one or the other lol"

One of the worst things about this movie is how contrived the plots were. It's like they had a major idea of what they wanted (we need a ESB style run from the Empire for most of the movie) but had neither the skill nor the understanding of the universe to actually fill out why it will happen.

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up

Nephthys
Originally posted by Tzeentch
What makes the situation even worse though is that her plan was gay as **** and relied entirely on the writers bending the universe to her will. Since WHEN are capital ships unable to detect small ships? ANH opens with a SD detecting life-pods- the sensors are so accurate they can even detect life-forms inside them. In ESB Vader's fleet had no problem tracking the Millennium Falcon for lightyears. Where is this bullshit that the FO needs Non-union Brad Pitt to tell them that there's 100-foot long troop transports flying around in front of their ****ing faces coming from?

"Dude we can only scan for one or the other lol"

One of the worst things about this movie is how contrived the plots were. It's like they had a major idea of what they wanted (we need a ESB style run from the Empire for most of the movie) but had neither the skill nor the understanding of the universe to actually fill out why it will happen.

The ships were cloaked, lol. You must have missed that line.

Tzeentch
Its stated in the film that the first order "is scanning for our large ships but not our smaller ones", to paraphrase.

Furthermore, if the transports were cloaked then why was the FO able to shoot them down? H1B1Brad Pitt gave them a hunch that the transports were out there, but he didn't track them himself.

Nephthys
They started scanning for cloaked vessels and found them. They weren't doing that before.

Also the FO were freaking miles away from the Rebels, they aren't going to be able to freaking eyeball the transports out the window, lol.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Nephthys
They started scanning for cloaked vessels and found them. They weren't doing that before.So the admirals plan was to gamble on the first order having the technology and the capability to detect her ships, and simply choosing not to do so?

I did not assert that that is what they should have done, but do you not realize how incredibly retarded your statement here is? Like this is legitimately one of the dumbest things I've ever seen you say, which is a milestone in of itself.

Nephthys
No, they can tell what the FO is scanning for.

I looked up and saw your comment that "Where is this bullshit that the FO needs Non-union Brad Pitt to tell them that there's 100-foot long troop transports flying around in front of their ****ing faces coming from?" and thought it was dumb enough to respond to.

relentless1
well I will say this; its good to see Ellie Sattler in more films let alone a juggernaut like Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.