Something that really bothered me in TLJ (Spoilers obviously)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheNuisanceBird
During the projection by Luke I questioned how he got off the ****ing island and into Crait but wasn't fully convinced that it wasn't actually him until I saw Anakin's saber on his belt.

It would've been a lot easier to have his green saber so not only would it make sense for Kylo to be deceived, but also the audience.

While I do think the blue vs red saber was a better choice visually having he green one would've been better overall and made more sense.

DarthAnt66
Kylo doesn't know what happened to the lightsaber. He was knocked unconscious the exact moment it split in two.

Considering lightsabers can be rebuilt, and that Luke Skywalker himself is in front of him, I don't think that's going to play big in his mind.

Nephthys
Luke did it like that just to rub it in. It'll drive Kylo crazy thinking about the details he failed to pick up on.

Darth Truculent
Although the lightsaber may have been destroyed, if you looked closely, the crystal wasn't. A new one can be constructed using the same crystal.

*his death at the end annoyed me because not of the fact he died, it's that he seemed to give Rey a battlefield promotion to Jedi. She only had a few days of formal training and now she's a Jedi? Come on!

Nephthys
Luke only had a few days of training himself.

Darth Truculent
True, but the book stated that he was training with Yoda for months and was able to face Vader. Although he lost the first bout he was able to hold his own for a bit. Rey wasn't able to touch Snoke with two lightsabers - hers and Kylo's. He (Kylo) had to assassinate Snoke with hers.

I really wasn't impressed with her feats at all.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Nephthys
Luke only had a few days of training himself.

Luke had more than a few days IIRC.

The Ellimist
It plays on the "old mentor wizard dies for younger generation even when he could have easily lived" trope.

The Merchant
It's implied a month occurred on Dagobah and he wasn't ready anyhow.

ares834
A month?

Anyway, I've little doubt that the EU created some inflated amount of time for Luke being there. I know Pablo once mentioned in a tweet that time dilation caused by the Force (e.g. Mortis) allowed Luke to train there for a considerable amount of time but I find that to be an absolute horseshit of a hand wave. Looking only at the movies, Luke seems to have been on Dagobah a handful of days at most.

DarthAnt66
The TLJ VD, written by Pablo, puts that into stone by saying that the properties of Acho-To are similar to Mortis and Dagobah, thus suggesting that the amount of training Rey got was significantly more than the apparent day on-screen. ---

NewGuy01
Originally posted by TheNuisanceBird
During the projection by Luke I questioned how he got off the ****ing island and into Crait but wasn't fully convinced that it wasn't actually him until I saw Anakin's saber on his belt.

It would've been a lot easier to have his green saber so not only would it make sense for Kylo to be deceived, but also the audience.

While I do think the blue vs red saber was a better choice visually having he green one would've been better overall and made more sense.

The reason it was done that way was to clue the audience in that something was up. Why are so many people failing to understand this?

Lord Lucien
So many people aren't very smart.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
The TLJ VD, written by Pablo, puts that into stone by saying that the properties of Acho-To are similar to Mortis and Dagobah, thus suggesting that the amount of training Rey got was significantly more than the apparent day on-screen. ---

Not really, given how unlike Yoda, Luke literally said he would only give Rey a grand total of three lessons. The first being a few minutes of meditation, the second being a brief cynical history lesson, and the third never having gotten around to.

relentless1
Originally posted by Nephthys
Luke only had a few days of training himself. '

he did NOT have a few days training; he had a year between ESB and ROTJ to hone his skills and build his own lightsaber

Kurk
Did Luke die a virgin in canon? He is a wizard after all.

Darth Truculent
The answer to your question Kurk is the conspiracy of that Rey is his kid. Skywalker's have anger management issues and she has a temper too so we'll see what Disney does in all of their Jedi "wisdom"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.