A New Hope: Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan - Redone (TRAILER)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmOPXhFensg

Full scene coming in 2018.

Rebel95
Wow that actually looks like it will be really good

Zenwolf
Neato.

ares834
Badass. First kind of this shit I've seen that looks good.

The Ellimist
Red Letter Media would complain that this is too flashy and ruins the "purpose" of lightsaber duels as "storytelling devices" lmao.

DarthAnt66
I love how Red Letter Media thinks they can define the purpose of lightsaber duels but the creator of lightsaber duels can't.

ares834
The prequels duels do suck though aside from TPM. I greatly prefer the brutality and intensity of the OT/ST to the graceful dances we get in the prequels.

DarthAnt66
Yoda vs Sidious intercutting with Anakin vs Obi with Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes in the background might be my favorite scenes of the saga, personally.

ares834
I thought Yoda/Sidious fight was fine but Anakin/Kenobi was a snorefest.

DarthAnt66
My favorite fight, tbh.

The Ellimist
Yoda vs. Sidious is one of the best moments in movie history to me honestly.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by ares834
The prequels duels do suck though aside from TPM. I greatly prefer the brutality and intensity of the OT/ST to the graceful dances we get in the prequels.
Uh, yeah, dual of the fates was the worst choreographed light saber duel in the prequels.

Have a gander:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yoda vs. Sidious is one of the best moments in movie history to me honestly.
It would have been better if Lucas just kept the fight scene from the book.

Why would you trade "or should i call you emperor" for "or should i call you darth sidious"?

DarthAnt66
roll eyes (sarcastic)

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Uh, yeah, dual of the fates was the worst choreographed light saber duel in the prequels.

Have a gander:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=J0mUVY9fLlw

That's just a description of movie stage fighting, lol. You could do it too to the OT's duels with Obi Wan's bizarre slow spin or Luke swinging his lightsaber like a baseball bat.

In-universe the explanation is precognition changes everything.

NewGuy01
Anakin vs Obi-Wan and Sidious vs Yoda are good because of the scores.

relentless1
wow that looks fantastic cant wait to see the finished product, it'll be a million times better than what we actually got in ANH

MythLord
Now if only they'd re-do Obi-Wan vs Maul, in Rebels.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Yoda vs Sidious intercutting with Anakin vs Obi with Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes in the background might be my favorite scenes of the saga, personally.

Because you have shit taste, and that's perfectly fine my dude.

DarthAnt66
Thanks my dude

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ares834
I greatly prefer the brutality and intensity of the OT/ST to the graceful dances we get in the prequels.

The OT ones work due to the build up and emotional impact behind them.

The ST Saber fights have been the worst and least entertaining in the whole saga.

ares834
Not only. Yes, the emotions and build up help those fights immensely but the Mustafar duel has this as well and I felt that one was a dud. The other big difference is the level of brutality and violence in the OT/ST duels is lost in the elegance of PT's duels. In the OT/ST there is a sense of weight behind their lightsabers, they wield them like broadswords allowing them to smash and batter each other. You don't get this in the PT where they twirl their sabers like batons and because of this I think they are a hell lot less interesting.

SunRazer
I find Duel of the Fates to be be overly choreographed (but still enjoyable to watch) but Qui-Gon and Maul's first duel on Tatooine was done right. Faster and more graceful but the attacks were still brutal and looked like they intended to kill.

AotC's duels were all painfully choreographed and devoid of emotion. The RotS Dooku fight was noticeably choreographed as well but I liked it; it flowed well, depicted the difference in each character's style well and the last leg of the duel carried some real emotion.

Obi-Wan vs Grievous in RotS was rather underwhelming; a bunch of buzzing lights and no real substance. Palpatine vs Mace was a comedy. Palpatine vs Yoda and Obi-Wan vs Anakin were good, but the latter dragged too much and the former mostly wasn't saber dueling.

relentless1
i love the part when Sidious and Yoda touch tips lol... lightsaber tips you sick bastards... its suck a cool move showing how dead even they both are, kinda like how Travolta and Cage shot at each other and the bullets hit each other in Face Off

TheNuisanceBird
We can only imagine what the choreography for the Anakin VS Mace fight would've been like.

The_Tempest
Must be preference. I don't see where a prop's physical weight increases or decreases the creative value of a choreographed fight.

The PT was definitely guilty of going overboard at times when it came to overproduced choreography. But I'd put quite a few TCW duels over any of the ones we saw in the movie.

Unbowed
OT duels are better "storytelling devices" but PT duels are closer to what fights between superhuman space wizards should be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9O3fapKrjI - this would fit perfectly in the OT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.