What exactly makes one a "true fan" of something?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
With how much the term gets thrown around amongst Star Wars fans and more recently the TLJ thread here in particular, thought it might be interesting to discuss.

Aside from the toxic way it is used in arguments or against others the one who said it disagrees with, it's meaning (for lack of better word) with how it is used has been wildly inconsistent.

. You don't like the latest movie, or you don't like all the movies? You're not a true fan.

. You're not shitting on the latest film like me/the loud bandwagon are? You're not a true fan.

etc, etc...
So what does it mean to be a "true fan", exactly? In the case of Star Wars, unbridled purism for the OT, or just anyone who accepts whatever the corporate mouse decides for the current/future films?

Whatever the case, depending on how you determine what makes one a true Star Wars fan, there may be very few true fans in the world, pending on how you define the criteria for it, which is part of why it's hard to take seriously.

More and more over time I've boiled it down to weird elitist argument fallacies, but if someone has a better idea of what makes one a true fan than what I've already said, please enlighten me.

Oh, lastly, since I didn't mention the prequels... stick out tongue

https://i.imgflip.com/whrsy.jpg

Fair enough, yeah? If not, I guess I'll be sacrificed at the alter by the almighty true fans...

Flyattractor
For me it boils down to this.
There are 3 Types of "Fan".

Casual, Invested,and Fanatic.

Casual is the Vast Majority or People. The go see the movies. Watch the Shows. Can name the actors and the characters.

Invested does all of the above and buys the merch. DVDs, Books. and Toys etc.and knows about the production of the material both infront of and behind the scenes.

Next is the FANATIC.
People that take all of the above and give it a RELIGIOUS POLITICAL FANATIC Type treatment. Basically Quan.

TethAdamTheRock
Im type 1

Flyattractor
I go back and forth between 1 & 3. The Source material itself tends to keep me from full on type 3.

Kazenji
I'm usually between Type 1 & 2.

riv6672
Tattoos.
When you permanently brand yourself with a character or something related to what your into, you're a true fan.

Flyattractor
A Type 3.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Flyattractor
For me it boils down to this.
There are 3 Types of "Fan".

Casual, Invested,and Fanatic.

Casual is the Vast Majority or People. The go see the movies. Watch the Shows. Can name the actors and the characters.

Invested does all of the above and buys the merch. DVDs, Books. and Toys etc.and knows about the production of the material both infront of and behind the scenes.

Next is the FANATIC.
People that take all of the above and give it a RELIGIOUS POLITICAL FANATIC Type treatment. Basically Quan.

Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

After his thread about Kylo being better than Vader i believe Quan has created a whole new level!!!

quanchi112
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

After his thread about Kylo being better than Vader i believe Quan has created a whole new level!!! Your posts are pure cringe. I wonder if you've ever made anyone laugh in your insignicant life.

Flyattractor
Hahahaha!

Quan a type 3!!???

After his thread about Kylo being better than Vader i believe Quan has created a whole new level!!!

Well every type would have its own separate categories and subsections.

Josh_Alexander

Well every type would have its own separate categories and subsections.

Yeah, true.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by quanchi112
Your posts are pure cringe. I wonder if you've ever made anyone laugh in your insignicant life.

Dont doubt it.

quanchi112
Dont doubt it. Just keep trying.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by quanchi112
Just keep trying.

Quanny would probably get a Sub Cat named after him.

CroftAlice
I am type 1.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Kazenji
I'm usually between Type 1 & 2.

Same here.

quanchi112
Quanny would probably get a Sub Cat named after him. Nah.

Josh_Alexander
Quanny would probably get a Sub Cat named after him.

laughing out loud

quanchi112
laughing out loud ?

John Murdoch
Between Type 1 and 2: I'll watch most of the media associated with Wolverine, and gladly buy a coffee mug and dress up like Logan for Halloween, but won't devote fervor to a fictional character.

Type 1: "Logan was a great movie."
Type 2: "Dude, I'm hanging this Logan movie poster up in my garage."
Type 3: "Old Man Hugh Jackman Logan rolopwns Captain America, Black Panther, and Galactus FTW!!!!!"

Surtur
Being a true fan? Certain posters here have taught me it means being obnoxious as f*ck and refusing to listen to all reason.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Surtur
Being a true fan? Certain posters here have taught me it means being obnoxious as f*ck and refusing to listen to all reason.

Same as some Political Fans.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.