Does Legends Mean a Canon Continuity or just Non-Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Freedon Nadd
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/7f/ Star_Wars_Legends_Epic_Collection_Infinities_Vol_1
_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150416142410

AncientPower
Legends are literally the in-universe mythology of Canon continuity.

Freedon Nadd
I say this because even Infinites are under this Legends banner.

Zenwolf
Your link doesn't work.

Legends is it's own Continuity, Non-Canon is just...well Non-Canon.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Your link doesn't work.

Legends is it's own Continuity, Non-Canon is just...well Non-Canon.

If this link doesn't work. Check Legends: Infinities and you will get some results.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Epic-Collection-Infinities/dp/0785197257

DarthAnt66
Legends are, like AP said, the actual legends of the Canon continuity.

They may or may not have happened but do exist IU as mythologies.

Infinities, similar to Dark Empire, NJO, etc., would be myths proven false from an OOU view.

For example:

Vader visits a planet named "Valkorion." Perhaps this planet was named after the mythological figure Valkorion - or that rather the KotFE mythology was formed explaining the origins of the world.

Freedon Nadd
How is Legends more exactly the actual Canon continuity?

If it was the case, then Infinites would not have the same banner.

Didn't Disney's boss say that anything that is outside of the movies is considered Legends?

Since when has the Expanded Universe gotten the name of Legends out of the sudden? Did the EU have another name before and I am not aware of it?

DarthAnt66
I'm not sure what you're asking. Anyway, since Tales of the Jedi and Infinities are both IU mythologies, they're of Legends - just one (i.e. Infinities) we know is false. Sort of like if an ancient book is proven to not be historically accurate. The other is *possibly* true, like the New Testament.

Canon pertains to anything absolutely true, which are the movies, TV shows, and books / comics / games by Disney.

Freedon Nadd
If they're on the same banner as Legends, how can you say they are fake? Infinites have their own canon continuity. They can't be fake. They are the what-if universe.

The simple fact that they are under the Legends banner pretty much "proves" me that the Expanded Universe didn't get a new name(Legends)

Legends has any work that is outside of Lucas' movies. That means everything that is non-canon to the official canon.

FreshestSlice
They're false because their is no possibility of it happening. Just like FotJ is a false legend, because Luke never had a son with a woman named Mara Jade. KotOR, on the other hand, is also a legend, but not one we know the validity of because it has not been proven or disprove in Canon. Canon is how we determine validity. If it aligns with Canon, it is canon. If it disagrees with Canon, it is false. If it does neither and is not touched on it's a legend that may or may not be true. It's really not that hard to understand.

DarthAnt66
@Nadd: Because something being "Legends" doesn't mean it's credible. All that banner means is that they're officially published Star Wars stories that may or may not be true. Thus, Infinities having the Legends title makes sense.

Zenwolf
I think this is being thought about too hard.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Vader visits a planet named "Valkorion." Perhaps this planet was named after the mythological figure Valkorion - or that rather the KotFE mythology was formed explaining the origins of the world. kek he would never

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Beniboybling
kek he would never
(It actually happened.)

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
@Nadd: Because something being "Legends" doesn't mean it's credible. All that banner means is that they're officially published Star Wars stories that may or may not be true. Thus, Infinities having the Legends title makes sense.

I get you. But Infinities is a different canon, with a different continuity. It's not some parts of the EU that have been proven wrong.
You say that the name of Legends suggests that these are just 'tales', stories that may or may not be true. But it's just a random cool name they come up with.

I mean these guys stated that anything outside of the movies is considered Legends.

I just can't see Legends being an actual fictional universe instead of a banner that just contains any Star Wars work outside of Disney's canon.

And was the Lost Missions part of the EU before the Great Holocaust of Star Wars?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
I get you. But Infinities is a different canon, with a different continuity. It's not some parts of the EU that have been proven wrong.
The entire point of our conversation was me explaining that no, Infinities is apart of Legends, as you directly proved by showing a picture of it with a Legends banner.

False. That's stated to be the case in Force and Destiny (treated by the Story Group as Canon) and reaffirmed constantly by Pablo on Twitter.

Hell, we even have characters like Darth Nihilus who exist in-universe as characters to play in local cantina bar games.

Good, because it's not a separate fictional universe from the Canon universe - it's just a collection of myths within the Star Wars universe.

The Clone Wars TV show was never apart of the Expanded Universe, as per George Lucas.

That being said, I believe they were released after the Disney purchase, so no anyway.

Freedon Nadd
That's all I wanted to know. Lost Missions is not part of the EU/Legends.

Galan007
Not surprised.

Pretty much all EU comics bear the "Legends" brand... Even the Tag & Bink issues, ffs:
https://i.imgur.com/bpc1HaA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0HjxXkw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YRHjDwg.jpg

When Disney took over they slapped that logo on everything that existed prior.

Freedon Nadd
See... Not only they screwed it up. But they "screwed it up".

DarthAnt66
I still don't think you know what Legends means if you think Infinities being of it is a "screw up."

Freedon Nadd
Infinites is a different SW continuity. It's like saying that EU and Lucas' canon are the same.

DarthAnt66
There's only one continuity now - with material having various levels of Canon.

Freedon Nadd
So you wanna say we can make our canon based on other canons if they are loose based on each other?

DarthAnt66
I'm sorry but I have no clue what you just said.

Freedon Nadd
If Infinites and the Expanded Universe share some common lore. Could you say that they can be loosely based on each other?

DarthAnt66
There is no Expanded Universe.

Freedon Nadd
Obviously I meant Legends when I said EU.

DarthAnt66
Considering Infinities is apart of Legends, I don't follow.

Freedon Nadd
Dude, you just said that Legends is the name for EU, didn't you?

DarthAnt66
The now-defunct 'Expanded Universe' is apart of Legends, but Legends includes more than that, such as Infinities.

In short, though, no, I never said Legends is the name for the EU. They're not the same thing and function differently.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.