Darth Vader's Force power not hindered by his suit?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Freedon Nadd

DarthAnt66
They're not the same at all.

Freedon Nadd
Explain, why not, Supreme Master of Ants?

Zenwolf
He lost his potential not his power.

FreshestSlice
Why people think the EU or Canon are compatible with how Lucas viewed the Force is beyond me.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Zenwolf
He lost his potential not his power.

Obviously by 'power' I mean 'potential'.

If it was implied that Gean wouldn't be hindered by her artificial limbs; why would Vader be?

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Why people think the EU or Canon are compatible with how Lucas viewed the Force is beyond me.

Eh, lots of PT/OT fanboys have this notion about EU Vader-Anakin.

relentless1
Sidious does infer that he THINKS Vaders power loss is all in his head but nothing concrete comes of that.

GL himself says that Anakin lost his potential when he lost most of his natural body so thats pretty much that

Board Walker
I've always believed that Vader's decrease in power was entirely due to psychological reasons, Sidious believed similar as well. That if Vader could overcome his self pitty, depression, and lack of interest in life he would have his full power.

Freedon Nadd
Or maybe Jinn Force-tampered with that midi-chlorian scanner. And he was all this time Anakin's father.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Board Walker
I've always believed that Vader's decrease in power was entirely due to psychological reasons, Sidious believed similar as well. That if Vader could overcome his self pitty, depression, and lack of interest in life he would have his full power.

I never understood why couldn't he heal himself?

Board Walker
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
I never understood why couldn't he heal himself?

Post of betraying the Jedi Order, killing his wife, and being maimed by kenobi, Anakin was consumed by self loathing and apathy.

In many ways Anakin truly believed his state as Vader was a just punishment for what he had done to his wife, and likely subconsciously did not want to disrupt the status quo of his unofficial self punishment.

At several points in the EU Anakin did in fact use the force to heal his lungs, when this started to progress he was overcome with joy which then in turned caused him to stop feeling self loathing/self pitty. Consequently this caused him to stop healing his lung with the force, and to return to his previous state of self loathing/pitty due to his maimed state of existence (which he was keeping himself in).

In fact Vader could have also had an entirely new Anakin Skywalker body if he wanted (made from his own DNA). In one of the EU stories Vader comes upon a perfect cloning machine, and a perfect clone of his unmaimed body is made. He subsequently kills both

Freedon Nadd
Wasn't it stated in ROTS novel that he doesn't have lungs anymore?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by relentless1

GL himself says that Anakin lost his potential when he lost most of his natural body so thats pretty much that

Well Disney doesnt need to follow GL to the letter. But regardless its pretty obvious he lost potential, otherwise he wouldnt still be taking orders from Palpatine 20-25 years later.

Freedon Nadd
But why is that, though? I don't get it. There is no logic/al reason behind it. Does he have less Force cells or what? Would that mean a giant Force sensitive would be stronger than average-sized Force-users because more Force cells reside in his or her body?

Darth Thor
But why is that, though? I don't get it. There is no logic/al reason behind it. Does he have less Force cells or what? Would that mean a giant Force sensitive would be stronger than average-sized Force-users because more Force cells reside in his or her body?

No but having a damaged body clearly seems to effect potential.

Whilst its also clear they dont have to decline in actualised power either, going by both Vader and Mauls example.

Not saying it makes perfect sense, but it is what it is.

StiltmanFTW
https://i.imgur.com/ktQZ2Zd.gif

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Darth Thor
No but having a damaged body clearly seems to effect potential.

Whilst its also clear they dont have to decline in actualised power either, going by both Vader and Mauls example.

Not saying it makes perfect sense, but it is what it is.

What do you mean by "actualized power"? I thought each Force-user has a certain level of Force strength where they learn to manifest it via learning various Force abilities?

Darth Thor
What do you mean by "actualized power"? I thought each Force-user has a certain level of Force strength where they learn to manifest it via learning various Force abilities?

I mean TCW Maul and Rebels Maul were still pretty much as powerful as TPM Maul. He may have even improved a little.

Same with OT Vader compared with Late TCW/ROTS Anakin.

But (aside from their recovery period) they were both improving at an incredibly slow rate after becoming physically challenged.

Rebel95
He means how much power they have at the time, as opposed to raw power/potential.

Imagine Anakin as a large glass of water that's only half full. When he gets injured, the glass becomes smaller but the amount of water inside stays the same more or less. So he might still have the same amount of actualized power, but he lost the potential of what he could have been.

Rebel95
But I'm one who believes that it was more of a psychological issue than physical.

Zentrex
defenitely phsycological. It was possible for him to become Anakin again through both technology and through the force, using force heal, or midi-chlorians manipulation, or simply through accepting his situation, but he never did. He kept himself subserviant because of how he felt. That's why he crawled right back to the emperor after he had clearly meant to kill him, even though as we see seconds later, he could have killed him.

Freedon Nadd
I still don't get it. Is this like some game where you need to, excuse my expression, make XP points and level yourself up?

You need to "learn" how to use more power from yourself? That's what you say?

Was this anywhere stated? I, mean, the Force isn't really a glass of water, though.

cs_zoltan
Do you like swtor?

Darth Thor

Was this anywhere stated? I, mean, the Force isn't really a glass of water, though.

Was stated by Lucas that OT Vader has lost a lot of potential.

And again its kind of clear in the plot, given Anakin ridiculous potential, he should have easily overthrown Palpatine by the OT. Yet he still serves him, and admits he needs Luke to overthrow him.

NTJack0
Originally posted by Board Walker
In fact Vader could have also had an entirely new Anakin Skywalker body if he wanted (made from his own DNA). In one of the EU stories Vader comes upon a perfect cloning machine, and a perfect clone of his unmaimed body is made. He subsequently kills both When was this?

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Was stated by Lucas that OT Vader has lost a lot of potential.

And again its kind of clear in the plot, given Anakin ridiculous potential, he should have easily overthrown Palpatine by the OT. Yet he still serves him, and admits he needs Luke to overthrow him.

We are talking Legends. Leave Lucas out of it.

Maybe the reason for that is because the midi-chlorian metric device was broken or Jinn Force-tampered with because he 'knew' Anakin is the Chosen One(and wanted him in the order). Or maybe, even before, Force-users had lots of Force cells(TOR), but they never had their Force cell count measured.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Do you like swtor?

Piece of crap. KotOR 3 should have been next. I'd rather have had a game set during the Ruusan era than a crap of SWTOR.

Darth Thor

Freedon Nadd
Nah. Legends doesn't follow Lucas' vision(unless it comes about his characters' supreme dvicks over the others')

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.