Doctor Sleep

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
So the novel Doctor Sleep the sequel to The Shining is getting turned into a movie

Mike Flanagan to Direct it

http://collider.com/doctor-sleep-movie-mike-flanagan-the-shining-seque-stephen-king/

Patient_Leech
Hm.. I didn't even know there was a sequel to the novel.

Adam Grimes
Yup. Kinda.

I hope this movie isn't as crappy as The Shining.

Impediment
Crappy? I hope you mean the most recent telemovie and not the film.

steverules_2

Impediment
To be honest, I didn't even know there was a sequel novel to the Shining, but I'm officially interested as f*ck!

Stephen King's books are hit & miss for me; some are so white knuckle intense that I can't put the book down while others are so painfully boring that I can't get past the first quarter of the book.

I've read the Shining and loved it. Verrrrrry different from Kubrick's film, which I also adore. I might just have to start Doctor Sleep this weekend to see if I'll love it, too.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, I didn't like Kubrick's film. Maybe because I went in with too much expectations from all the praise it gets.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment
To be honest, I didn't even know there was a sequel novel to the Shining, but I'm officially interested as f*ck!

Stephen King's books are hit & miss for me; some are so white knuckle intense that I can't put the book down while others are so painfully boring that I can't get past the first quarter of the book.

I've read the Shining and loved it. Verrrrrry different from Kubrick's film, which I also adore. I might just have to start Doctor Sleep this weekend to see if I'll love it, too.

Yeah, the book and movie are very different but both very good.

I also agree that Stephen King is very hit or miss.

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Yeah, I didn't like Kubrick's film. Maybe because I went in with too much expectations from all the praise it gets.

It's understated. That's why it's so good.

It's his use of the camera and the performances from the actors. He's brilliant.

Esau Cairn
Room 237

Fun documentary interpretating "hidden" meanings to The Shining & other Kubrick films.

Kazenji
I've heard Stephen King didn't like the Kubrick Shining movie

and with the miniseries its more of a result of king's bitchy attitude towards the original Stanley Kubrick Masterpiece, I've heard it sticks closer to the novel but it was still bad.

quanchi112
Yeah, I didn't like Kubrick's film. Maybe because I went in with too much expectations from all the praise it gets. The movie is great. Your taste is pure shitfire.

Adam Grimes
Shitfire? Come on.

quanchi112
Shitfire? Come on. Shit in the form of fire spreading. Not on my watch, hick.

playa1258
Hopefully it turns out good.

jaden101
Mike Flanagan. That top class director of absolutely ****ing nothing even remotely decent ever.

Yeeaaahhh I'm gonna need you to go ahead and not do that mmmkaaayyy. That'd be grreeatt.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden101
Mike Flanagan. That top class director of absolutely ****ing nothing even remotely decent ever.

Yeeaaahhh I'm gonna need you to go ahead and not do that mmmkaaayyy. That'd be grreeatt.

He's supposedly has only had one good hit so far with Gerald's Game.

Kazenji
Ewan McGregor to play the grown up Danny Torrance

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ewan-mcgregor-to-star-as-danny-torrance-in-the-shining-sequel-dr-sleep-165?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=JoBloFB

quanchi112
Yeah, I didn't like Kubrick's film. Maybe because I went in with too much expectations from all the praise it gets. You suck as a human. That film is great.

steverules_2
Originally posted by quanchi112
You suck as a human. That film is great.

Stephen King hates the film

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by steverules_2
Stephen King hates the film

Then f$ck him. He's way too verbose as a writer.

quanchi112

Surtur
The book to the sequel kinda sucked though lol. Doesn't mean the movie has to, I guess. Though movies based on Kings shit don't have the best track record.

Surtur

quanchi112
Originally posted by Surtur
To be fair, Kubrick apparently harassed King while making it so I'm not surprised King hates the film.

I also don't think he has any room to judge after "Maximum Overdrive". That wasn't the usual excuse of "somebody f*cked up adapting Kings work". No, that movie was directed by King. Who cares? Shining was great thanks Stanley.

Flyattractor
Jack was the only thing that saved the Shining Movie.

quanchi112
Nah, everything about the film was perfect.

Flyattractor
Yes. I agree. The Shining is a better movie then Infinity War.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yes. I agree. The Shining is a better movie then Infinity War. Not even close to Infinity War the best films of all time but as far as horror films get its great.

Surtur
If everything about it was perfect...how is Avengers superior?

quanchi112

Robtard
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ewan McGregor to play the grown up Danny Torrance

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/ewan-mcgregor-to-star-as-danny-torrance-in-the-shining-sequel-dr-sleep-165?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=JoBloFB

Is Tony still his friend and does he still like sandwiches?

Surtur

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Inf War was fun but had lots of stupid parts. So Shining Wins I guess.

quanchi112

steverules_2
Watched the shining again today, still love it

Surtur

Flyattractor

BackFire
Originally posted by Surtur
To be fair, Kubrick apparently harassed King while making it so I'm not surprised King hates the film.

I also don't think he has any room to judge after "Maximum Overdrive". That wasn't the usual excuse of "somebody f*cked up adapting Kings work". No, that movie was directed by King.

Wait what? I love Kubrick and The Shining and have heard a lot about the behind the scenes drama, but never heard of Kubrick harassing King? Can you expand on that?

King generally doesn't understand what makes a good movie, he seems to resent filmmakers when they cut something out of the film that was in the book. Remember he approved of the pile of shit Shining miniseries because it was 'faithful'. He doesn't seem to understand that some things that work in a book won't work in a movie, Kubrick did understand that hence why he removed a lot of the more over the top stuff like plant monsters and shit.

Also full disclosure I'm not a fan of King as a writer, I don't like his writing style, comes off as a smart aleck during a lot of his narration and can be long winded.

steverules_2

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
Wait what? I love Kubrick and The Shining and have heard a lot about the behind the scenes drama, but never heard of Kubrick harassing King? Can you expand on that?

King generally doesn't understand what makes a good movie, he seems to resent filmmakers when they cut something out of the film that was in the book. Remember he approved of the pile of shit Shining miniseries because it was 'faithful'. He doesn't seem to understand that some things that work in a book won't work in a movie, Kubrick did understand that hence why he removed a lot of the more over the top stuff like plant monsters and shit.

Also full disclosure I'm not a fan of King as a writer, I don't like his writing style, comes off as a smart aleck during a lot of his narration and can be long winded.

Apparently he would call King up at like 2 am and shit. And berated him when they disagreed on something.

BackFire
Oh, haha. Yeah, sounds like Kubrick being Kubrick.

quanchi112

Kazenji

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BackFire

Same here. The Shining was one of the few novels I could stomach by him.

BackFire
It's too bad because he can come up with very cool and interesting ideas, but the way he presents them just isn't really for me.

dynamix
i read doctor sleep and it was definitely not a good story, imo. and The Shining is awesome! One of my fav films tbh lol

Kazenji
Qpf8p_E-I_o

steverules_2
I love Ewan McGregor, really watch the shining again now

Kazenji
Attempting to make this adaptation fit in with the Kubrick film i see from the teaser, I thought King hated the movie.

steverules_2
He did

Can't say I'm surprised they're making it fit in with Kubrick film though

BruceSkywalker
Qpf8p_E-I_o

looks pretty good

Flyattractor
Well if Sleepwalkers can get made into a movie...and this will be one of Stephen's High On Crack Books...soo

Kazenji
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Well if Sleepwalkers can get made into a movie...and this will be one of Stephen's High On Crack Books...soo

and your point is?

more nonsense from Fly.

quanchi112
Looks very intriguing.

Oliver Brown
I think the movie is going to impress everybody because the movie "The Shining" was gained so much popularity very quickly, that's why they are making the sequel of it.

Kazenji
BOzFZxB-8cw

Patient_Leech
BOzFZxB-8cw

Gonna watch this trailer when I get a chance. Thanks for posting.

Kazenji
Apparently Jack Torrance shows up in the book as a ghost, Wonder if that'll make it to the film adaptation.

Adam Grimes
The Shining was pretentious garbage so not really interested in watching this one.

Patient_Leech
The Shining was pretentious garbage so not really interested in watching this one.

That's the first time I've heard that one.

Damn, I forgot to watch the trailer. I actually don't remember watching the previous one either.. hm...

Patient_Leech
Qpf8p_E-I_o

Finally got around to watching this first trailer. Not sure what to think.

I fear that a large part of the charm of The Shining was the setting inside the big, spooky hotel. I mean, the hotel was seemingly mundane, but it of course became iconic. It doesn't seem like this will have much or any of that charm. So we'll see. Hope it's still interesting.

Kazenji
^ I've never read the book of Doctor Sleep, So i'm not sure how much of that takes place at the Overlook.

Adam Grimes
None of it.

Patient_Leech
Well, this seems to be getting decent reviews.

I'm hoping to finally show The Shining to my wife this weekend.. she's a scaredy-cat.. heh

Patient_Leech
Some positive reviews... I'm intrigued. *shrug*

RT

Kazenji
Seems like Stephen King has accepted Kubrick's movie of The Shining over time, going by alot of the promotional stuff for this movie.

riv6672

Impediment

Surtur
reeeeeeee

riv6672

Kazenji
So despite the movie being actually good, It's under performing at the box office, From what i've read.

Impediment
This movie is bombing because it's the sequel to a movie made in 1980.

This film is for way older audiences and not for this generation.

I bet, however, that this will obtain a cult following.

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
This movie is bombing because it's the sequel to a movie made in 1980.

This film is for way older audiences and not for this generation.

I bet, however, that this will obtain a cult following.

so.. The Cult of KMC???

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Well to be fair The Shining is basically a cult film, too.

I mean, it maybe has a little higher status because of Kubrick, but it's still very much a cult film.

I want to see Doctor Sleep, but not sure if I'll be able to get out while it's in theaters, though.

Patient_Leech
I watched this, the Director's Cut.

I was really surprised how good it is! It's best when it's doing its own thing, though, and not recreating scenes from The Shining (there was a little too much of that). "Member The Shining??!"

But yeah, this is great. Better than IT Chapter 2 for sure. That film should have been more like this.

I pretty fully agree with RLM on their review for this...

6c-hAbInjt4

Kazenji
Haven't seen the movie as i missed out on it's cinema run, Whats the new scenes in the director's cut?

relentless1
didn't mind the film, was surprised it ran as long as it did and I liked the idea of the protagonist being much stronger than the antagonist right from the get go and pushing Danny to the secondary character didn't hurtt the film.

having said that, going back to the overlook hotel was dumb and the film dragged in some places for sure, also having Elliot from ET try and do a Jack Torrance was laughable

7/10

Impediment
I just bought the Director's Cut on Blu-ray.

I'll post a review later.

cdtm
Just saw this.

It was fun. One part I didn't get was why the ghouls didn't die in the boxes, if it wss established "steam eaters" need to eat of waste away.

I mean, maybe they have different rules then the bad guys, but they were eating steam, so implies they need to eat too..

Impediment
Originally posted by cdtm
Just saw this.

It was fun. One part I didn't get was why the ghouls didn't die in the boxes, if it was established "steam eaters" need to eat of waste away.

I mean, maybe they have different rules then the bad guys, but they were eating steam, so implies they need to eat too..

Danny was able to capture and hold the ghosts in his mental prison boxes because they were weak and malnourished, per se, and were kept in a dormant state.

When Danny released them, they killed Rose the Hat and were able to possess him.

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
is this really worth a watch

riv6672
only YOU can decide.

Jmanghan

riv6672
Classic Stockholm syndrome on her part. stick out tongue

steverules_2
Danny was able to capture and hold the ghosts in his mental prison boxes because they were weak and malnourished, per se, and were kept in a dormant state.

When Danny released them, they killed Rose the Hat and were able to possess him.

So...out of 10?

marcssands14
Originally posted by steverules_2
So...out of 10?

I personally watched the film a few weeks ago. I thought it was good and I'd give it a 8

Impediment
I still give it a solid 8.

Definitely worth a watch.

Mindset
Originally posted by cdtm
Just saw this.

It was fun. One part I didn't get was why the ghouls didn't die in the boxes, if it wss established "steam eaters" need to eat of waste away.

I mean, maybe they have different rules then the bad guys, but they were eating steam, so implies they need to eat too.. Because they're already dead and not undead.

Doesn't really imply that they need to eat, just that they can/do.

Estacado
This was a great movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.