Dragon Age 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

emporerpants
So, I want Anthem to do well because if it doesn't, we might not get Dragon Age 4. I love Dragon Age. So, what would you like out of Dragon Age 4? Also, which Dragon Age is your favorite? I really liked Dragon Age 1. 1 is my favorite of the series so far, followed by 3.

Nephthys
I think its a given that Dragon Age 4 is going to be in Tevinter and it'll probably cover the topics of Tevinters mage system, slavery, the Qunari war and Solas' plan. I imagine it has a strong possibility of taking place in Seheron with the Qun-Tevinter war heating up and you in the middle choosing a side while looking to stop Solas. Maybe the end game will give you a choice between the Qunari's plan of strengthening the Veil and a lesser version of Solas' plan in weakening it.

I'd really, really love to continue playing as the Inquisitor with a cool robot arm or something but I know that's practically a pipe dream. I just think it would seriously weaken Solas as a character without the Inquisitor as the protagonist. If not her then maybe an elite agent of the Inquisition or a Tevinter noble looking to reform the Imperium. Dorian is probably going to come back and play an important role. I doubt any other characters from Inquisition will return since their official endings pretty much eliminate that possibility.

1 and 3 are definitely my favorites. I like them for different reasons but I think Origins probably edges it out.

Smasandian
I hope the gameplay is reminiscent of the first game. I liked Inquistion but I felt it was too impersonal. I didn't need all that stuff to do and prefer the singleplayer focus Dragon Age 1 had.

But I read there was going to be "live" elements so I have no idea what that means.

emporerpants
I believe that the live elements were supposed to be dlc related. One can only hope it means extra stuff as opposed to stuff that should have been in the game from the start and was withheld in order to milk more money out of consumers.

quanchi112
Origins had the best experience I've ever had in a video game. It was nonstop until the end of the game. Second was a letdown and a huge drop in quality but 3 recaptured some of the magic. It wasn't as great as origins which set the bar too high IMO. But it did have fantastic characters and Solas is one exception to my rules of characters I tend to gravitate towards.

I loved Corypheus and usually gravitate towards the all powerful bad guy obsessed with domination but Solas was utterly fantastic and hidden right under our noses the entire time. The big reveals at the end of the main game to be further gone into during the trespasser dlc was the best part of the game. Solas was ****ing epic. I can't wait for this to be explored in the next game. Love Solas.

-Pr-
My wishlist only really has two things above all: Proper tactical combat, and to be as dark as the first game was. The subsequent games had their moments, but Origins could be downright creepy in a way that the later games didn't manage.

With all the people who made the originals mostly gone (and losing Gaider was HUGE), it might be too much to ask, but a man can hope.

emporerpants
Originally posted by quanchi112
Origins had the best experience I've ever had in a video game. It was nonstop until the end of the game. Second was a letdown and a huge drop in quality but 3 recaptured some of the magic. It wasn't as great as origins which set the bar too high IMO. But it did have fantastic characters and Solas is one exception to my rules of characters I tend to gravitate towards.

I loved Corypheus and usually gravitate towards the all powerful bad guy obsessed with domination but Solas was utterly fantastic and hidden right under our noses the entire time. The big reveals at the end of the main game to be further gone into during the trespasser dlc was the best part of the game. Solas was ****ing epic. I can't wait for this to be explored in the next game. Love Solas.

Agreed almost 100%. I would put origins in my top 5 video experiences, but maybe not quite #1. I loved everything about origins. I loved the whole feel of the game, I loved pretty much everything about it. What class did you run Quan? I went dual wielding fighter, as I tend to favor swordsmen in fantasy rpgs.

Also, yeah, Solas was pretty damn awesome in 3. I feel 3 was a giant step in the right direction after the letdown that was 2, although it still wasn't really close to origins. I also really want 4's combat to go back to the style of origins, although that is very unlikely.

I also hope the darkspawn go back to their origins design. I thought they looked a shit ton better in origins than 2 or 3.

-Pr-
Originally posted by emporerpants
Agreed almost 100%. I would put origins in my top 5 video experiences, but maybe not quite #1. I loved everything about origins. I loved the whole feel of the game, I loved pretty much everything about it. What class did you run Quan? I went dual wielding fighter, as I tend to favor swordsmen in fantasy rpgs.

Also, yeah, Solas was pretty damn awesome in 3. I feel 3 was a giant step in the right direction after the letdown that was 2, although it still wasn't really close to origins. I also really want 4's combat to go back to the style of origins, although that is very unlikely.

I also hope the darkspawn go back to their origins design. I thought they looked a shit ton better in origins than 2 or 3.

I thought the Genlocks were improved, tbh. Hurlocks not so much. The others... Eh, I could go either way.

BackFire
It was recently revealed by Bioware that indeed a new DA game is currently in development by a small team. I imagine once Anthem is done they'll shift most of the people at the studio over to DA4. So we're definitely getting something.

When it comes to setting and all that, I agree with everything Neph said. Tevinter seems the most obvious choice, and I too would like to continue playing as the Inquisitor. There's not really a good reason not to aside from the series' tradition of having a new protagonist in every game. Even if he's not the main protagonist, I'm sure he'll have a large role, something like an advisor or something, and I imagine Dorian will be a party member again.

I also expect them to take cues from Witcher 3 in regards to the design of the world, I imagine there will be fewer zones than Inq, but have them more packed with things to do and improve the quality of the sidequests.

-Pr-
I read that. A smaller team screams Andromeda all over again, but I have to think EA won't risk letting it happen again.

Unless of course Bioware is going to end up like all of EAs other victims.

Smasandian
Andromeda wasn't a small team. It was damn big one.

I don't think we need to worry about it being another Andromeda. From what I understand (and what Backfire said) is that a small group is doing pre-production which is most likely concept and prototypes of new gameplay mechanics.

I'm not sure I want Dragon Age 4 to be exactly like Witcher 3 and be open world. I quite like how Origins was set in a few hubs with added linear environments. One of my favourite memories of the game was attacking the tower at the start and how atmospheric it was. However, the sidequests all have to be unique without any added filler (which they can absolutely do ex. Killing Flemeth).

I just don't want something like Dragon Age Inquisition again. I didn't have the greatest time walking through those environments. It felt like work.

-Pr-
I meant in the sense that it wasn't prioritised as much as it should have been. If more people do come onboard when Anthem is ready (though even that's been pushed back), that would be nice to see.

quanchi112

I also hope the darkspawn go back to their origins design. I thought they looked a shit ton better in origins than 2 or 3. I always go through the game twice at least. First time is a noble warrior wielding the heavier two armed weapons. The second time is a Mage who is extremely selfish more akin to my real life persona.

I loved Loghain from the first game. Same voice actor from one of my favorite video game characters in Kain from the Legacy of Kain games. The first game blew my mind.

Solas is compassionate and not selfish which is what makes him so damn interesting to me. He's an anomaly for what I like but he does have the insane power thing going for him.

I am glad by the end of the third we have a villain outside the darkspawn. They are great but how much farther can you go there. Sure I want more darkspawn but I'm good without them being the main villains again.

No series comes close to the lore from Dragon Age. Witcher 2 was awesome but it's vastly different which I like but definitely prefer the lore For Dragon Age as opposed to the game of thrones adult oriented content of that series.

BackFire
Another game like Origins would be cool but unfortunately, open world games are so popular and successful I think it's kind of a given that it'll follow that formula again, especially with how successful Inq was for them. But like I said, I doubt it'll be the exact same formula as Inq. Fewer zones with more effort put into them would go a long way.

quanchi112
Originally posted by BackFire
Another game like Origins would be cool but unfortunately, open world games are so popular and successful I think it's kind of a given that it'll follow that formula again, especially with how successful Inq was for them. But like I said, I doubt it'll be the exact same formula as Inq. Fewer zones with more effort put into them would go a long way. I agree I like that's it isn't as open as games like Witcher 3 or Elder Scrolls. I'm far too obsessive with these games. Part of the reason I haven't dove into Witcher 3 is because I'm not coming out for a long time.

BackFire
Missing out. Witcher 3 is game of the generation imo.

Smasandian
Another game like Origins would be cool but unfortunately, open world games are so popular and successful I think it's kind of a given that it'll follow that formula again, especially with how successful Inq was for them. But like I said, I doubt it'll be the exact same formula as Inq. Fewer zones with more effort put into them would go a long way.

True, that is probably what is going to happen. However, I hope they do not skimp out on missions levels that are not part of the open world itself.

KingD19
Pls bring back finishers with updated graphics.

-Pr-
Originally posted by KingD19
Pls bring back finishers with updated graphics.

thumb up

That and melee attacks for mages please.

Smasandian
I hope they keep similar combat and make it a bit more tactical. Or at least ensure party members play a big role because there isn't a lot of games out there like that.

Would it be crazy if they want all tactical like XCOM? I think that would be ****ing awesome.

quanchi112
Missing out. Witcher 3 is game of the generation imo. I purchased it when it came out. I'll buy all the dlc once I get around to it. I know it's great but I also know once I go in I'm not coming out for a while.

Smasandian
Yes, it's a larger game, especially if you play a lot of Gwent.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yes, it's a larger game, especially if you play a lot of Gwent. What is strange is that I didn't play through Witcher 2 initially. I tried got 1/6 through and lost interest. Came back a year later started over and finished it twice in a row from scratch. It looks like the same thing is going to happen to Witcher 3 because I didn't play it long enough to get obsessed so I'll have to start it from scratch again.

Smasandian
Witcher 3 starts working really well once you get past the first area (even though that area is pretty damn awesome for a prologue).

I'm replaying it right now and I wish I could play this without knowing about it....it's a great game.

emporerpants
I always go through the game twice at least. First time is a noble warrior wielding the heavier two armed weapons. The second time is a Mage who is extremely selfish more akin to my real life persona.

I loved Loghain from the first game. Same voice actor from one of my favorite video game characters in Kain from the Legacy of Kain games. The first game blew my mind.

Solas is compassionate and not selfish which is what makes him so damn interesting to me. He's an anomaly for what I like but he does have the insane power thing going for him.

I am glad by the end of the third we have a villain outside the darkspawn. They are great but how much farther can you go there. Sure I want more darkspawn but I'm good without them being the main villains again.

No series comes close to the lore from Dragon Age. Witcher 2 was awesome but it's vastly different which I like but definitely prefer the lore For Dragon Age as opposed to the game of thrones adult oriented content of that series.

Ha, I pretty much do the same thing. I do my first playthrough as my noble swordsman, which is my "canon" playthrough, and then I play through again as an evil mage. One of the things I like about origins, jade empire, kotor, etc. is that bioware gave you the freedom to be an evil prick if you wanted. I always enjoyed playing through twice to see how things changed. In recent bioware games though they seem to be getting away from that kind of freedom, which I think is sad. Not much really changes based on your choices in DA:I. You could be a jerk, but not really a truly evil dude. I enjoy the freedom to do either.

emporerpants
This may also sound weird, but you know what I really liked in origins? The camp. I just loved talking to my companions by the fire, and I felt the atmosphere at camp was amazing. I really felt like I was part of an adventuring group out to save the world. Origins just knocked the atmosphere out of the park in general imo.

-Pr-
This may also sound weird, but you know what I really liked in origins? The camp. I just loved talking to my companions by the fire, and I felt the atmosphere at camp was amazing. I really felt like I was part of an adventuring group out to save the world. Origins just knocked the atmosphere out of the park in general imo.

It really did.

It's an amazing game. Easily my favourite of the last decade.

emporerpants
Indeed. It was a good time to be a bioware fan, cuz not long after origins, Mass Effect 2 came out. So I went right from playing the shit out of origins to playing the shit out of Mass Effect 2. Those were the days man.

emporerpants
So, if you could have one thing guaranteed in Dragon Age 4, what would it be? It can be a story element, game mechanic, combat system, character, etc. If you could only pick one and have it in the game for sure, what would it be?

Smasandian
Easily, less maps with more memorable areas/quests. I don't like the paint by numbers quests Dragon Age 3 had. The main story was interesting but everything else was weaker.

quanchi112
Ha, I pretty much do the same thing. I do my first playthrough as my noble swordsman, which is my "canon" playthrough, and then I play through again as an evil mage. One of the things I like about origins, jade empire, kotor, etc. is that bioware gave you the freedom to be an evil prick if you wanted. I always enjoyed playing through twice to see how things changed. In recent bioware games though they seem to be getting away from that kind of freedom, which I think is sad. Not much really changes based on your choices in DA:I. You could be a jerk, but not really a truly evil dude. I enjoy the freedom to do either. How can you play this game so similarly to myself and champion superman. Anyways, yes I agree the first game probably had a lot more time in developing it then the sequels so I'd gather that's the reason why.

As I previously said there won't ever be an experience that rivals my first play through of Origins. I just know they can come close to the sun again like certain parts of Inquisition the Solas dlc especially the ending of it which IMO is the true ending to the game.

quanchi112
This may also sound weird, but you know what I really liked in origins? The camp. I just loved talking to my companions by the fire, and I felt the atmosphere at camp was amazing. I really felt like I was part of an adventuring group out to save the world. Origins just knocked the atmosphere out of the park in general imo. Yes, you truly felt by the end of the main quest in origins you went on this adventure with them. It was surreal hence my utter devotion to this series even if they don't come close to recreating that sense of connection to a fantasy game.

BackFire
quanchi, just curious, have you ever played the Mass Effect games?

quanchi112
quanchi, just curious, have you ever played the Mass Effect games? Never.

BackFire
That's surprising. You should try them, similar to the DA games in a lot of ways. Great stuff.

quanchi112
That's surprising. You should try them, similar to the DA games in a lot of ways. Great stuff. I am more into medieval sorcery with these types of games. Sci Fi is great in a movie setting for me but when it comes to these quest like games medieval, fantasy setting is what I love. Witcher 3 after god of war. I don't game enough to devote the time but I do suspect I would like the games if I gave them a chance.

BackFire
I think you would, especially if you like Star Trek and Star Wars, those were the main inspirations for Mass Effect and it's pretty obvious.

I'm like you, I prefer Medieval fantasy over Sci Fi usually, but the Mass Effect series grabbed me in a way no other game series ever had. If you ever have the time or get the chance, I think you should definitely give them a go.

-Pr-
So, if you could have one thing guaranteed in Dragon Age 4, what would it be? It can be a story element, game mechanic, combat system, character, etc. If you could only pick one and have it in the game for sure, what would it be?

Just one? Ha.

-Less MMO shite.
-Darker tone.
-Play my Warden again.
-Better writing.
-Less annoying companions. Seriously, **** off Sera.
-Proper tactical combat.
-Bring back the (imo) superior magic trees from the first two games.
-Less ****ing with the lore.

etc, etc.

quanchi112
I think you would, especially if you like Star Trek and Star Wars, those were the main inspirations for Mass Effect and it's pretty obvious.

I'm like you, I prefer Medieval fantasy over Sci Fi usually, but the Mass Effect series grabbed me in a way no other game series ever had. If you ever have the time or get the chance, I think you should definitely give them a go. I have been on record to make this claim. I would take the experience of Dragon Age Origins over a relationship with a woman. It was that amazing. But maybe one day I'll get around to it but right now when I do go knee deep into a video game these two already called shotgun.

John Murdoch
Dragon Age: Origins might be the most immersed I've ever been with a video game world. It was Lord of the Rings Trilogy for video games

Loved Dragon Age 2 as well, but it's a B/maybe B+ to DA:O's A+.

Haven't been able to get into Inquisition, as I got it on PlayStation Store for like $11...on the PS3. The last gen version (all 10 minutes I played of it) was pretty horrible. Imagine getting through Fellowship of the Ring and Two Towers, only to find out Return of the King was filmed in VHS-quality resolution and the "TRACKING" lines and static popped up every cut. Very disappointing.

Such a disappointment brought me to Mass Effect, and it's been a blast.

cdtm
Have Origons sitting on my hard drive.

Tried the flash demo on a pc, and it seemed fun.

ares834
Easily, less maps with more memorable areas/quests. I don't like the paint by numbers quests Dragon Age 3 had. The main story was interesting but everything else was weaker.

That was my big problem with the game. It forced you to do these shitty side quests to progress the main plot.

BackFire
Another thing I would change, and this goes for all modern Bioware games, I'd go back to actually utilizing the cinematic style camera during ALL conversations again, like they had with Mass Effect 1 and 2, and as they do with Witcher 3 and Horizon. The way they do it now is just not immersive and feels too dry. Just not as engaging.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, why did they make the decision of stepping back in that regard?

Doesn't make sense.

KingD19
I also wish they'd incorporate more "Interrupt" moments like in ME2. They had a very small amount in DA2 and Inquisition, but it was more like a branching conversation because you had some extra knowledge or getting a different reaction due to your class than say, "Stabbing someone in the gut because they disrespected you, or blasting someone with your magic during the conversation before the fight for an advantage.

Smasandian
I'm not sure I want another Dragon Age. I got the feeling that Dragon Age 3 filled out the universe enough.....

Maybe a new IP? A current day spy RPG would be ****ing awesome.

BackFire
Did you play Trespasser, the final DA3 dlc? They set up quite a bit to cover in the coming games with that.

Nephthys
Yeah, after Trespasser not getting a DA 4 should be considered a war crime.

Smasandian
Did you play Trespasser, the final DA3 dlc? They set up quite a bit to cover in the coming games with that.

No, I didn't......after playing Dragon Age 3, I was done with it.

-Pr-
Yeah, Trespasser sets up a LOT of stuff going forward. TBH, it really shouldn't be DLC, but rather the final act of the game.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nephthys
Yeah, after Trespasser not getting a DA 4 should be considered a war crime. thumb up

quanchi112
No, I didn't......after playing Dragon Age 3, I was done with it. Trespasser was the most enjoyable part of dragon age. Hands down.

emporerpants
Hey guys, I heard a rumor that DA 4 is going to adapt certain aspects of anthem. What do you guys think it will be? Also, has anyone else heard this rumor? Frankly, I'm kinda worried about anthem and if DA 4 becomes multiplayer focused, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

quanchi112
If it is multiplayer I will be listed too. This is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I love where the third left off.

emporerpants
If it is multiplayer I will be listed too. This is my favorite video game franchise of all time. I love where the third left off.

Agreed. I've been looking forward to seeing where they go from there since the credits rolled. I'm torn. I want Anthem to do well because if it doesn't EA may scrap Bioware and we won't get DA 4. But I also don't want them to take away the idea that multiplayer should be the focus from here on out, which might happen if Anthem is a huge success.

Tzeentch
I have no idea what that could mean, but it's certainly something that makes me not interested in buying it.

quanchi112
Agreed. I've been looking forward to seeing where they go from there since the credits rolled. I'm torn. I want Anthem to do well because if it doesn't EA may scrap Bioware and we won't get DA 4. But I also don't want them to take away the idea that multiplayer should be the focus from here on out, which might happen if Anthem is a huge success. I believe this will come out sometime in 2020. Google speculated this on a few links I briefly skimmed over. If it ends there I will be super pissed without the closure I need from that badass Solas I require.

BackFire
Inquisition had a multiplayer mode, as long as it's separate from the main game and not forced into the core experience it won't bother me.

Smasandian
There might be a mode but I don't think it would be the primary gameplay.

In my opinion, Anthem is Bioware/EA software as a service game while Dragon Age 4 will be single-player focus.

I heard Anthem plays really well so I'm intrigued. While Andromeda was a mess, the combat was pretty good.

NemeBro
There might be a mode but I don't think it would be the primary gameplay.

In my opinion, Anthem is Bioware/EA software as a service game while Dragon Age 4 will be single-player focus.

I heard Anthem plays really well so I'm intrigued. While Andromeda was a mess, the combat was pretty good. What do you mean "it plays really well"?

Smasandian
The mechanics like moving around, shooting and shit like that.

It was from Giant Bombcast when they played the preview at E3.

NemeBro
It's a AAA title, I'd like to hope at the very least the game doesn't handle like shit.

Destiny handled and played well too and you know what? That game was average at best.

Smasandian
Ok?

I'm not saying it's going to be great. I'm just saying that I heard good things and intrigued.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I have no idea what that could mean, but it's certainly something that makes me not interested in buying it.

Yeah I second in hoping Dragon Age never does that. Just hearing Fallout 76 for instance being multiplayer focused killed any chance of me wanting. We play RPGs like these to get away from the online noise, not bring it along.

emporerpants
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Yeah I second in hoping Dragon Age never does that. Just hearing Fallout 76 for instance being multiplayer focused killed any chance of me wanting. We play RPGs like these to get away from the online noise, not bring it along.

thumb up

quanchi112
Inquisition had a multiplayer mode, as long as it's separate from the main game and not forced into the core experience it won't bother me. thumb up

It was bad too. Tried it quickly put it down. Just into the single quest.

emporerpants
Inquisition had a multiplayer mode, as long as it's separate from the main game and not forced into the core experience it won't bother me.

I would be fine with that as well. I don't care if there is multiplayer just as long as it doesn't creep it's way into the single player. Just like Quan, I also tried the multiplayer in DA 3 one time, realized it was shit, and never touched it again.

So, what does everyone think will actually happen if Anthem is a failure?

-Pr-
Nw3lrXlti-8

Please, please, PLEASE be good you bastards.

Blog post: http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/

Smasandian
The blog post sounds like it might be heading in the right direction.

I think Bioware gets unfairly heaped on by gamers. Mass Effect Andromeda was a failure but everything else has been fairly good quality.

-Pr-
Honestly, there's a part of me that wonders if Andromeda being what it was, is a blessing in disguise. The poor reception (ymmv obviously on how deserved it was) has put pressure on Bioware, and with Anthem not exactly setting the world on fire, they have a lot of incentive to not end up like the likes of Westwood, Bullfrog etc.

And I have to imagine EA is hoping for the best too. The BFV issues, stock value plummeting and of course, Star Wars Battlefront 2 being what they are, I would imagine the people at EA don't want to have to rely on Madden and Fifa to be their only big hits.

Even with Gaider (and I imagine most of the original staff) gone, I believe DA4 can be awesome. Inquisition did a lot of things really well. If they can avoid doing anything stupid, fingers crossed these years waiting will be worth it.

BackFire
I think as far as story telling/writing goes, DA4 will be fine. Patrick Weekes is in charge of the series now, and he was one of the best writers of the Mass Effect games, responsible for a lot of the best segments, along with some of the best parts of Inquisition.

The challenge may be simply in making a good and fun world to explore. That has been something that Bioware seems to have trouble with.

-Pr-
As great as Weekes was in Mass Effect, I feel like he's more hit and miss with DA. Though if he has more hits than misses, the point becomes moot. As long as he doesn't **** with the lore too much.

Arachnid1
Cant wait for this. I hope its a step up from Inquisition though. Build on the Origins format and throw out the open world if you can't fill it with meaningful content.

I'm also glad this one is putting a focus on Solas. He was the only companion worth anything in Inquisition IMO

Smasandian
It might be me but I hoping it's follows the same structure as the first DA game where its linear with a few hub world. I don't think I want open world because I'm getting tired of them.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Cant wait for this. I hope its a step up from Inquisition though. Build on the Origins format and throw out the open world if you can't fill it with meaningful content.

I'm also glad this one is putting a focus on Solas. He was the only companion worth anything in Inquisition IMO

How dare you. Varric and Iron Bull were amazing.

It might be me but I hoping it's follows the same structure as the first DA game where its linear with a few hub world. I don't think I want open world because I'm getting tired of them.

Agreed. You can have big areas full of stuff to do without going the Ubisoft route.

quanchi112
It might be me but I hoping it's follows the same structure as the first DA game where its linear with a few hub world. I don't think I want open world because I'm getting tired of them. Agreed. The Dread Wolf is by far the most interesting character currently in this world.

BackFire
I think there's honestly very little chance that this isn't some kind of open world game. My hope is that it's more Witcher 3 open world, with fewer, more well developed zones, than DAI open world, with a ton of empty pointless zones that are filled with filler.

quanchi112
I think the game is years away still so I have time to finally commit to its lesser Witcher 3. I am a dragon age guy through and through.

BackFire
Witcher 3 is a masterpiece and the best open world RPG I have ever played.

quanchi112
Witcher 3 is a masterpiece and the best open world RPG I have ever played. The story and lore of Dragon Age is unrivaled to me in gaming. Dragon Age Origins was one of the best experiences in fantasy of my entire life. Nothing I doubt will ever rival the Blight and the wonder that game evoked in me.

I did beat Witcher 2 and do plan on getting around to it.

emporerpants
The story and lore of Dragon Age is unrivaled to me in gaming. Dragon Age Origins was one of the best experiences in fantasy of my entire life. Nothing I doubt will ever rival the Blight and the wonder that game evoked in me.

thumb up DA:O was one of my favorite fantasy experiences of all time as well. You won't be disappointed with Witcher 3 Quan. It's storytelling is amazing. A lot of the side quests are just as fleshed out and interesting as the main quest in lots of other games. It's a lovingly crafted game and it shows. It's amazing. That said, I do like the dragon age lore and series better. I had the hard cover strategy guide and I remember spending hours just diving into the lore in that book. Few games have excited my imagination the way DA:O did.

BackFire
The story and lore of Dragon Age is unrivaled to me in gaming. Dragon Age Origins was one of the best experiences in fantasy of my entire life. Nothing I doubt will ever rival the Blight and the wonder that game evoked in me.

Did you like Witcher 2?

quanchi112
Did you like Witcher 2? Yes, it is my number 2 rpg. Could not ever get into any elder scrolls game. Witcher is GoT to Ages Lotr. I preferred Lotr to GoT as well.

BackFire
Nice. Well if you liked Witcher 2 that much then I can't imagine you loving Witcher 3, it improves on W2 in just about every way. It's such a good game, I should play it again. Also the Gwent minigame in it is great.

quanchi112
Nice. Well if you liked Witcher 2 that much then I can't imagine you loving Witcher 3, it improves on W2 in just about every way. It's such a good game, I should play it again. Also the Gwent minigame in it is great. I bet I will love it just not as much as Dragon Age. Dragon Age is like a true love. Other games are great but you only have a few true loves in your lifetime.

BackFire
Yeah I understand.

-Pr-
Yeah, I'd also recommend Witcher. Origins is arguably my favourite game of all time, but Witcher is a lot of fun, with some nice mythology and, once you get the hang of the combat, a satisfying experience.

Smasandian
I think Dragon Age Origins story is far better than most. I loved every second of it.

Witcher 3 is equally as good.

quanchi112
I think Dragon Age Origins story is far better than most. I loved every second of it.

Witcher 3 is equally as good. No way in hell can it match the glorious experience of origins. I will eventually get around to it.

Surtur
Someone tell me how Dragon Age Inquisition is cuz I'm getting it soon.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur

It's fine. It has a fair amount of MMO elements in it that don't really work that well in a single-player game, but if you're just looking for a good fantasy story (that occasionally gets really good if you have all the dlc) with some decent gameplay, then you'll be fine.

If it means anything, my current hour-count in it is 246. So at the very least, there's lots to do.

I'd recommend finishing the first two if you want to get a full appreciation for the lore, too.

Surtur
Originally posted by -Pr-
It's fine. It has a fair amount of MMO elements in it that don't really work that well in a single-player game, but if you're just looking for a good fantasy story (that occasionally gets really good if you have all the dlc) with some decent gameplay, then you'll be fine.

If it means anything, my current hour-count in it is 246. So at the very least, there's lots to do.

I'd recommend finishing the first two if you want to get a full appreciation for the lore, too.

I see, thanks. How does the gameplay compare to the first two?

-Pr-
I see, thanks. How does the gameplay compare to the first two?

They tried to marry the first two in it, so it has elements of both. Enemies will try to flank you, and correctly positioning your characters is important, as is making sure the right people attack the right targets. Having your tank keep brutes busy, for example, so that they don't charge you and forcibly insert their axe in to your mage in an uncomfortable way.

You can get away with less than you did in 2, but it's not as punishing as Origins either.

The boss fights are generally well-designed, imo.

quanchi112
The Dread Wolf is the best plot twist in the entire series. Hands down, superb.

-Pr-
I get that the game is out a while, but posting a spoiler like that when the guy said he was just about to start playing it is really bad form, tbh.

quanchi112
I get that the game is out a while, but posting a spoiler like that when the guy said he was just about to start playing it is really bad form, tbh. He will not even know who that is. I did not name the character and my post spoils nothing. Only way is if he googles dragon Age 4 the trailer. Even then I gave no details with a vague comment.

-Pr-
Saying that there's a plot twist at all is a spoiler, imo.

quanchi112
Saying that there's a plot twist at all is a spoiler, imo. How will he even know who that is until he finds out?

-Pr-
That it's a plot point at all should be his to find out.

Speaking of which, though, Surt, I would highly recommend buying the Trespasser DLC. As scummy as EA/Bioware are about story dlc, you won't get anything close to the full story without it.

quanchi112
That it's a plot point at all should be his to find out.

Speaking of which, though, Surt, I would highly recommend buying the Trespasser DLC. As scummy as EA/Bioware are about story dlc, you won't get anything close to the full story without it. My point is I spoiled nothing. It is like saying with regards to a movie the ending had a twist. Would you say that was spoiling the ending despite giving none of the details away?

-Pr-
My point is I spoiled nothing. It is like saying with regards to a movie the ending had a twist. Would you say that was spoiling the ending despite giving none of the details away?

Telling someone to expect a twist is, to me, a kind of spoiler. Which I've already said. Or do you really want to keep arguing about it?

quanchi112
Telling someone to expect a twist is, to me, a kind of spoiler. Which I've already said. Or do you really want to keep arguing about it? So saying the movie has a twist ending is a spoiler to you. Just wanted to hear your rationale. I see spoilers as actual details not vague details.

BackFire

It's probably my favorite game in the series. I think the characters are overall very good, and I liked the combat best of all the games (don't like the combat in DA:O at all). The story was also solid, and as PR said, you should get the Tresspasser DLC, it acts as the "real" ending of the game. It's also a very nice looking game, lot of really pretty scenery and areas to explore.

Biggest pitfall of the game is all the MMO style throwaway sidequests, many of which are just given to you via texts or notes you find in the world, that aspect of the game came off as very lazy. I honestly recommend skipping them unless you have ADD and really feel the need to clear a map completely, in which case best of luck, you'll have a pretty boring task ahead of you. But ignoring most of them makes the game a lot better paced and more fun. My rule of thumb for this game - if the quest is given to you via a speaking NPC, then consider doing it. If it's given to you via a note that you find in an empty hut, don't bother, it's likely just busy work.

Smasandian
I agree with PR.

The whole point of a twist is to be surprised and if you already know there is one, the effect of being surprised is drastically reduced. It doesn't matter if you don't know the details.

Case in point. The reason Sixth Sense was highly regarded was because nobody knew there was a twist and it surprised a **** ton of people when it was all laid out. It wasn't nearly effective for the director's subsequent movies. People started to look for the twist instead of watching the movie as it was intended.

You spend more to analyzing than getting caught up in the story.

So yes, telling people there is a killer twist at the end of the story is just as spoiler than finding out the details.

Tzeentch
Someone tell me how Dragon Age Inquisition is cuz I'm getting it soon. Do you enjoy playing single player MMO's?

Are you attracted to people who are made out of sweating plastic?

Then this is the game for you.

quanchi112
I agree with PR.

The whole point of a twist is to be surprised and if you already know there is one, the effect of being surprised is drastically reduced. It doesn't matter if you don't know the details.

Case in point. The reason Sixth Sense was highly regarded was because nobody knew there was a twist and it surprised a **** ton of people when it was all laid out. It wasn't nearly effective for the director's subsequent movies. People started to look for the twist instead of watching the movie as it was intended.

You spend more to analyzing than getting caught up in the story.

So yes, telling people there is a killer twist at the end of the story is just as spoiler than finding out the details. https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-07-2016/x41USv.gif

-Pr-
Regardless of the argument, all this talk is making me want to start another playthrough of the series. I just REALLY don't know if I want to devote the guts of 300 hours to the series, especially when the first couple of those is going to be downloading and installing mods...

BackFire
I replayed the series a few years back. It was a fun experience.

-Pr-
I replayed it just before Inquisition came out, then played Inquisition, finally ran through Inquisition again when Trespasser came out.

It should be at least two years before 4 comes out, I would guess, so I have time.

Oh well, time to start installing, and hope the memory leak patch for Origins works this time around...

Surtur
They tried to marry the first two in it, so it has elements of both. Enemies will try to flank you, and correctly positioning your characters is important, as is making sure the right people attack the right targets. Having your tank keep brutes busy, for example, so that they don't charge you and forcibly insert their axe in to your mage in an uncomfortable way.

You can get away with less than you did in 2, but it's not as punishing as Origins either.

The boss fights are generally well-designed, imo.

Interesting thanks. Yeah I plan to play as a mage(I always play as mage characters).

Any good mods?

-Pr-
Interesting thanks. Yeah I plan to play as a mage(I always play as mage characters).

Any good mods?

I haven't looked at Inquisition mods much, but the ones I would recommend that I know of from the start are the ability rebalancing ones. This is the mage one, but they have them for both warrior and rogue too:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1438

Surtur
I haven't looked at Inquisition mods much, but the ones I would recommend that I know of from the start are the ability rebalancing ones. This is the mage one, but they have them for both warrior and rogue too:

https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/1438

Awesome thanks, yes nexusmods is a great place, I have an account there.

-Pr-
Same. It's my go-to for mods for any game. Hell, I'm using it right now to download all the updated versions of my Origins mods as I don't use the Nexus Mod Manager.

BackFire
I think with Inq there aren't as many good mods as with the other games in the series because of the change over to the frostbite engine, which isn't as mod friendly as the engine used in the prior two games.

-Pr-
Yeah, iirc that's true. I remember reading about how long it took to get some simple hair mods in to the game.

Surtur
Same. It's my go-to for mods for any game. Hell, I'm using it right now to download all the updated versions of my Origins mods as I don't use the Nexus Mod Manager.

Nice, what mods do you use for Origins?

I always gotta have the "no helmets" mod lol. Also the mod that restores cut content as well.

BackFire
In Origins I always use the mod that deletes the fade portion, hate that part of the game.

Surtur
I ended up beating Origins with a party of: Me(a human mage), Morrigan, Alistair, and Shale.

Cone of cold is quite broken, I make sure to get it as soon as possible. Also my specialization was blood mage and "blood wound" is also really powerful. It's essentially "crushing prison" but it works on multiple enemies at once and cools down much quicker than crushing prison. I did have a second specialization as an arcane warrior and I have heard that when fully upgraded is quite powerful, but I never bothered to upgrade it. I focused on the blood mage skills and normal spells.

Surtur
In Origins I always use the mod that deletes the fade portion, hate that part of the game.

Heh I remember using something similar to skip Taris in KOTOR.

-Pr-
Nice, what mods do you use for Origins?

I always gotta have the "no helmets" mod lol. Also the mod that restores cut content as well.

lol, where do I start. Actually, instead of typing it i'll just post a picture of my modmanager.

https://s7d6.turboimg.net/t/39832628_mods.png

Everything there I got from the Nexus.

I also use the 4gb patch so the game doesn't crash (much) when I use texture mods.

thumb up

That's one of the first I always download.

I ended up beating Origins with a party of: Me(a human mage), Morrigan, Alistair, and Shale.

Cone of cold is quite broken, I make sure to get it as soon as possible. Also my specialization was blood mage and "blood wound" is also really powerful. It's essentially "crushing prison" but it works on multiple enemies at once and cools down much quicker than crushing prison. I did have a second specialization as an arcane warrior and I have heard that when fully upgraded is quite powerful, but I never bothered to upgrade it. I focused on the blood mage skills and normal spells.

Shale is a ridiculously good tank in the early game. Once you get to about level 15 I think it is, and the later abilities unlock, Alistair surpasses her, but she's still solid either way.

When I play Mage I always unlock Mana Clash asap. Devastating power.

quanchi112
I replayed the series a few years back. It was a fun experience. I only played on my play station. I may go back to origins after Witcher 3, god of war, oh who am I kidding. That is a lot of time to commit. Maybe some day.

Surtur
I liked using Alistair with a mage cuz you could eventually get a power that makes him immune to knockdown. So I could hurl a fireball at enemies and he could keep on fighting.

Though I have beaten Origins I have not yet played Awakening. Is it worth it?

BackFire
Alistair is such a great character.

Surtur
Plus the banter between him and Morrigan is classic.

-Pr-
I liked using Alistair with a mage cuz you could eventually get a power that makes him immune to knockdown. So I could hurl a fireball at enemies and he could keep on fighting.

Though I have beaten Origins I have not yet played Awakening. Is it worth it?

Honestly, if you liked Origins even half as much as I did/do, I highly recommend it. It's a pretty hefty chunk of content, with all sorts of new stuff in it.

It's a proper expansion, not just a piece of tacked on DLC. You won't knock it out in a couple of hours and be done with it.

quanchi112
Alistair is such a great character. Teryn Loghain was my favorite of Origins. I did enjoy Alistair though.

-Pr-
Surtur, if you want to get anything close to a decent understanding of the full DA story, I recommend the following:

In Origins, play Awakening and Witch Hunt.
In 2, play Legacy.
In Inquisition, definitely play Trespasser, and I would also recommend The Descent, as I fully expect what happens in that to be referenced heavily in future games.

The rest of the DLC for the games ranges from okay to great, but is more tangential rather than necessary.

Golems of Amgarrak can get ****ed, though.

BackFire
I never played Awakening nor the DA2 DLC and I had no trouble understanding what was going on in Inq. Think I watched a quick recap video going into Inquisition though because I knew the DA2 DLC kinda led directly into it.

-Pr-
Maybe understanding was the wrong word. Appreciation, maybe. You get the full experience. In Awakening for example, you meet Anders and Justice, and you get to see how he develops before you eventually meet him in the second game. Then in Legacy, you find out about Corypheus.

Sure, you can watch a recap, but I'm one of those people that would feel like I missed out if I didn't experience it all firsthand myself.

quanchi112
I never played Awakening nor the DA2 DLC and I had no trouble understanding what was going on in Inq. Think I watched a quick recap video going into Inquisition though because I knew the DA2 DLC kinda led directly into it. You are fine without playing it. The marketing team would not seek to alienate its fanbase by making the sequel hard to follow without playing it.

After playing inquisition I downloaded the one dlc for party 2 that leads into Inq because it had seen so long and I was into the character.

Even speaking of it might make Pr think we are posting spoilers or something. I better watch what I say because if I use the word twist he will believe I am trying to ruin a ten year old game or something for someone.

Surtur
Surtur, if you want to get anything close to a decent understanding of the full DA story, I recommend the following:

In Origins, play Awakening and Witch Hunt.
In 2, play Legacy.
In Inquisition, definitely play Trespasser, and I would also recommend The Descent, as I fully expect what happens in that to be referenced heavily in future games.

The rest of the DLC for the games ranges from okay to great, but is more tangential rather than necessary.

Golems of Amgarrak can get ****ed, though.

Thanks, yeah I'm gonna play it.

You ever have a character capable of casting "Storm of the Century" ?

-Pr-
Thanks, yeah I'm gonna play it.

You ever have a character capable of casting "Storm of the Century" ?

Oh, I don't do the Carta HQ/Deep Roads or parts of Denerim without it. Super spell. That and the paralysis explosion are my favourites.

Nemesis X
https://wccftech.com/dragon-age-4-anthem-tech-live-service/

So much for getting excited about this one.

Tzeentch
Being excited for a Bioware game haha

ares834
There wasn't much to get excited about it the first place.... But god damn! What the hell are they thinking?

Jmanghan
How did they do so good with Inquisition and **** up so bad with this one?? How in the world?

Tzeentch
Sounds like it could have been promising. Like a sword and sorcery Payday. But EAs gotta chase those trends!

That said I'm not too broken up about it. Dragon Age as a setting is a single-player experience first and foremost. EA refuses to accept that(not enough micro-transaction money to be made in SP games), so pretty much any iteration of a sequel is doomed to be garbage.

Khazra Reborn
I'm getting to the point where the only new thing I look forward to is a new From Soft game every two years.

ares834
Originally posted by Jmanghan
How did they do so good with Inquisition and **** up so bad with this one?? How in the world?

Well, I'd argue that Inquisition wasn't that good in the first place.

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Sounds like it could have been promising. Like a sword and sorcery Payday. But EAs gotta chase those trends!

That said I'm not too broken up about it. Dragon Age as a setting is a single-player experience first and foremost. EA refuses to accept that(not enough micro-transaction money to be made in SP games), so pretty much any iteration of a sequel is doomed to be garbage.

Yeah. It sounds like a cool idea. But even if EA didn't force in their micro-transcations and "game as service" garbage, I still wouldn't expect much from the game.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by ares834

So suddenly we're not allowed to like things. Didn't know that.

ares834
So suddenly we're not allowed to like things. Didn't know that.

Did I say anything to suggest that? No? Then quite pretending that me calling Inquisition mediocre is some personal attack.

NemeBro
So suddenly we're not allowed to like things. Didn't know that. You're allowed to like things, you're just not allowed to like a piece of shit like Dragon Age: Inquisition. thumb up

Nemesis X
Originally posted by NemeBro
You're allowed to like things, you're just not allowed to like a piece of shit like Dragon Age: Inquisition. thumb up

You rate anything 0/10 if it doesn't have jeggings let's be honest.

-Pr-
https://wccftech.com/dragon-age-4-anthem-tech-live-service/

So much for getting excited about this one.

Hopefully after seeing what's happened with Anthem, they'll change their damn minds.

I mean, I know it's a lot to hope that they come up with a game half as well put-together as Origins, but ffs...

NemeBro
You rate anything 0/10 if it doesn't have jeggings let's be honest. What?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834

Yeah. It sounds like a cool idea. But even if EA didn't force in their micro-transcations and "game as service" garbage, I still wouldn't expect much from the game. It was way better then DAII which was just okay.

If you wanna know how I feel about Inquisition, I agree with what a lot of Angry Joe thinks.

emporerpants
Well, hopefully Anthem will dissuade them from going the "Anthem with dragons" route. Then again, it seems most game companies don't learn from their mistakes and instead double down on them. Sadly, I fear that Bioware is going to go with the double down route. Damn. How much of current Bioware is still the same Bioware that made DA:O, kotor, Jade empire, and the mass effect games I wonder?

Tzeentch
Almost none of it.

emporerpants
Well, that explains a whole lot then.

BackFire
Well, hopefully Anthem will dissuade them from going the "Anthem with dragons" route. Then again, it seems most game companies don't learn from their mistakes and instead double down on them. Sadly, I fear that Bioware is going to go with the double down route. Damn. How much of current Bioware is still the same Bioware that made DA:O, kotor, Jade empire, and the mass effect games I wonder?

Casey Hudson is running the studio now, he was the one behind Mass Effect. Also some writers are still around from that series.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>