The Passion of the Christ 2: Resurrection

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech

jaden101
sZA2gbUz77U

Aaaawwwwwwwwww Yeeaaahhh

Surtur
I thought the first movie was horrible. I'm not expecting this to be any better.

Given the comments Mel Gibson made about Jews it is weird he is directing a movie with one of the most famous Jews lol.

Impediment
*yawn*

Patient_Leech
I think Mel is an extraordinarily talented filmmaker, so for that alone I'm interested in whatever he does, but with that being said, it's a ****ing shame he's picking this as his next project.

I was actually in Christian highschool when Passion of the Christ came out and was in the process of escaping the oppressive constraints of Christianity in my own personal development, but at the time I liked the film pretty well, at least from a filmmaking perspective. I was less interested in it upon subsequent viewings. It's hard to see it as anything more than Christian propaganda now.

cdtm
Passion was awesome. Very visceral, cinematic, immersive. As a film, it did everything right. Accuracy may not have been there, but it would have been that violent.

Everything that spawned from Passion was garbage. It either missed the point of what made that movie good, or was a naked cash in.

cdtm
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I think Mel is an extraordinarily talented filmmaker, so for that alone I'm interested in whatever he does, but with that being said, it's a ****ing shame he's picking this as his next project.

I was actually in Christian highschool when Passion of the Christ came out and was in the process of escaping the oppressive constraints of Christianity in my own personal development, but at the time I liked the film pretty well, at least from a filmmaking perspective. I was less interested in it upon subsequent viewings. It's hard to see it as anything more than Christian propaganda now.

Nothing wrong with Christianity in and of itself. It's the leaders that make or break a faith.

You find the same in every religion, only no one talks about those (Except Conservatives, but no one cares what they think.)

Bentley
Originally posted by Surtur
I thought the first movie was horrible. I'm not expecting this to be any better.

Given the comments Mel Gibson made about Jews it is weird he is directing a movie with one of the most famous Jews lol.

I would've thought Jesus was the most famous jew by default.

cdtm
Originally posted by Surtur

Only if you believe the binary "with us or against us" rhetoric.

Shutting down conversation because "racism" does more harm then just trying to figure out why someone feels how they feel (And may even inflame bigotry, since you're basically telling someone to shut up and go sit in the corner.)

I don't think Mel hates "the jews" as a group at all. I think he's on about very specific jews, like Weinstein.. But you can't even talk about them, without being labled "racist".

..and I'm waxing political in the movie forum now. What has my life become?

Surtur
Originally posted by Bentley
I would've thought Jesus was the most famous jew by default.

I dunno, Bernie Sanders is super popular these days.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
Only if you believe the binary "with us or against us" rhetoric.

Shutting down conversation because "racism" does more harm then just trying to figure out why someone feels how they feel (And may even inflame bigotry, since you're basically telling someone to shut up and go sit in the corner.)

I don't think Mel hates "the jews" as a group at all. I think he's on about very specific jews, like Weinstein.. But you can't even talk about them, without being labled "racist".

..and I'm waxing political in the movie forum now. What has my life become?

I agree with all this, it just surprises me this is going down in today's climate without more of an uproar.

Remember: James Franco was accused, but I don't think anything has been substantiated. He's still bee cropped out of magazine covers and had things like a mural dedicated to him at his high school painted over. There is a Stalin-esque purge going on involving anyone who is even accused of wrong doing, and with Mel we have his stuff on tape.

Personally I think Mel doing that beaver movie was probably penance enough.

Patient_Leech
Nothing wrong with Christianity in and of itself. It's the leaders that make or break a faith.

Please, there is tons wrong with Christianity.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dtIwWk1mKtQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Not to mention mentally abusing children with stupid ideas like hell and brainwashing them into believing nonsense like creationism. Christianity is detached from reality. How is that not a flaw to an ideology?

riv6672
Originally posted by jaden101
sZA2gbUz77U

Aaaawwwwwwwwww Yeeaaahhh
Okay, -that's- why the thread title rang a bell. laughing

cdtm
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Please, there is tons wrong with Christianity.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dtIwWk1mKtQ/maxresdefault.jpg

Not to mention mentally abusing children with stupid ideas like hell and brainwashing them into believing nonsense like creationism. Christianity is detached from reality. How is that not a flaw to an ideology?

Cbristianity also fosters a sense of community, charity, hope, or something for old people to do besides sit at home.

Listen to Hitchens and you'll get a lot of the bad, but that's true of any community of organized humans.

And again, dirty laundry is hardly exclusive to Christianity.. You can pick apart Mormons, Islam, Judiasim, the Amish (Seriously, a friend loved to tear them up because so many consided them a "model religion" in terms of social meddling) or really any group if you've the mind and time to.

Patient_Leech
Christianity also fosters a sense of community, charity, hope, or something for old people to do besides sit at home.

^ None of that says anything at all about the truth claims of the faith. It doesn't make Creationism true and it doesn't make it right to mentally scar innocent children with hell.

Cannibals and civilizations that practiced ritual sacrifice also fostered closeness and community. And it's also possible to do good in the world and not subscribe to the ridiculous nonsense of Christianity (imagine that). So saying Christianity fosters community, charity, hope, etc says nothing about its basis in truth or in reality.

Listen to Hitchens and you'll get a lot of the bad, but that's true of any community of organized humans.

And again, dirty laundry is hardly exclusive to Christianity.. You can pick apart Mormons, Islam, Judiasim, the Amish (Seriously, a friend loved to tear them up because so many consided them a "model religion" in terms of social meddling) or really any group if you've the mind and time to.

Yeah, Islam, Judaism, Mormonism, etc are idiotic, too. All are guilty of pretending to know things that no person could possible know which is one of the most dangerous philosophical mistakes. Again, that's not a good defense of the tenets of Christianity. And the fact that all of these conflicting theologies that are so certain of their exclusive truth regarding the universe is just further proof that they are all wrong and religion in general is dangerous and not needed.

Flyattractor
It is so fun to watch Patty Lee ride his " I hate the Christ Kids"
rant horse.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by jaden101
sZA2gbUz77U

Aaaawwwwwwwwww Yeeaaahhh

Reminds of Gandhi 2, from UHF... laughing out loud
4ega5Rcct2s

Flyattractor
That is because Seth Macfarlane probably ripped the idea off from UHF...Cause Seth is a hack.

Esau Cairn
I can't wait for The Jesus & Boulder action figures.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, the merchandising for this is going to be EPIC.

Jesus will come with 'water' and 'wine' goblets. JUST SWITCH THEM OUT! (miracle!)

John Murdoch
I do wonder what material Gibson will cover.

The resurrection of Jesus, the empty tomb, and then the 40 days post-resurrection into His ascension? Possibly get into Acts as well?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.