Whose the best MCU villain? Loki or Killmonger?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Josh_Alexander
It's no surprise that Killmonger is consider one of the best MCU villains, and is even being compared to Loki.

Now, what do you think? How does Killmonger compares and contrasts with Loki? Who is the best villain? In which position does Killmonger fall?

Let me hear your opinions.

Josh_Alexander
I personally believe Loki is still #1 villain so far.

I did enjoyed and loved Killmonger. His performance was so credible and so genuine! I did felt a connection with the villain!

However, when evil is concerned...Loki still holds #1. Loki's performance and personality makes him a genuine bad guy.

As for the ranking...idk...I loved the Vulture...Id say he is 2nd along with the Vulture for me.

|King Joker|

-Pr-
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
It's no surprise that Killmonger is consider one of the best MCU villains, and is even being compared to Loki.

Now, what do you think? How does Killmonger compares and contrasts with Loki? Who is the best villain? In which position does Killmonger fall?

Wilson Fisk.

If we're just doing movies, though? I have to go with Killmonger. I'm not usually a fan of the whole "I'm sort of the villain but my motives are sympathetic so you should side with me" thing, but Killmonger really benefits from, in the eyes of a lot of people, being right, and having valid reasons for being the way he is. He's a bad guy, sure, but he's a good argument taken to the extreme.

Loki, as charismatic as he is, lacks that kind of aspect to his character. I mean, I like the guy, but I honestly feel like he's a tad inconsistent at times in how he's written.

Outside of those two? I really liked Ego and Red Skull too.

Inhuman
There are more interesting villains in the MCU than just those 2.

The villain problem thing is a meme.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Inhuman

You think so? IMO, the MCU's biggest weakness is definitely villains, especially post Hydra.

Inhuman
Compared to what though. What are we using for comparison?

riv6672
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
You think so? IMO, the MCU's biggest weakness is definitely villains, especially post Hydra.
Agreed.
Glaringly obvious with Zemo.

Anyway, Loki by default for me, as i'm not going to watch the BP movie.

Darth Thor
Loki. Tbh I have Michael Keatons Vulture above Killmonger.

Originally posted by riv6672

Anyway, Loki by default for me, as i'm not going to watch the BP movie.

Lol

ares834
Originally posted by -Pr-
Wilson Fisk.

thumb up

If we restrict it to only the films, Loki is still my favorite by far.

Bentley
General Hux.

What? He's Disney.

Kazenji
hyuck hyuck hyuck.....

TheVaultDweller
I love Fisk, but his image was forever ruined for me by the Weekly Planet podcast, when they described Fisk in his prison jumpsuit as looking like an oversized baby in a massive onesie. Because it's kind of true.

Insane Titan
Loki, easily

relentless1
Still Loki due to the simple fact that hes had 4 movies to breathe and grow; Killmonger was good and I loved his real world motivations but at the end of the day he was just another one and done; even if he did go out like a G

riv6672
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Loki. Tbh I have Michael Keatons Vulture above Killmonger.

He's likely me second favorite. thumb up

Nephthys
Top 5 MCU villains atm are: Fisk, Killmonger, Zemo, Loki and Killgrave.

Ward, Jiaying and Vulture are also very strong and Whitney Frost had a shot at the top 5 if she hadn't of fallen apart at the end.

Its a bizarrely overstated belief that the MCU has a villain problem, it has a lot of very strong antagonists.

TheVaultDweller
To me, Kilgrave was the best part of S1 of JJ.

Cottonmouth had potential, but they ended up with Diamondback, on Luke Cage. Now, that is one of the instances where the criticism is fully warranted. Black Mariah was pretty good though, in that the show made me utterly despise that character.

TheVaultDweller
I did also like Killmonger though. Like Vulture, he had really strong motivations you could actually sympathise with in a way. And someone who most people seem to have overlooked, but I also really enjoyed, was actually Klaue. He was such a total opposite as a villain to Killmonger, basically just a carefree, trigger-happy maniac, but I thought his scenes were a lot of fun. Pity that we're unlikely to see any more of either of them in the future.

Josh_Alexander

Like Who?

John Murdoch
Haven't seen Jessica Jones >gasp<, so I can't comment on David Tennant as Purple Man.

- Wilson Fisk
- Killmonger
- Loki
- Ego
- Red Skull
- Alexander Pierce

Fisk is top dog if TV is counted (as Pr mentioned firstly above), Killmonger or Loki if movies only.

EDIT: Removed a sentence.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Haven't seen Jessica Jones >gasp<, so I can't comment on David Tennant as Purple Man.

- Wilson Fisk
- Killmonger
- Loki
- Ego
- Red Skull
- Alexander Pierce

Fisk is top dog if TV is counted (as Pr mentioned firstly above), Killmonger or Loki if movies only.

Yeah Fisk is a great one.

However the issue is that TV series villains got more time on screen to expose themselves and therefore tend to build a wider connection with the audiences than Movie villains.

But yeah, I agree, Fisk is a top dog.

Inhuman
Like Who?

Those 2 in the thread title are some of the top ones in the MCU but they have had other good ones as well.

Obadiah Stane
Armin Zola
Red Skull
Alexander Pierce
Winter Soldier
Klaue
Hela
Ego
Crossbones
Vulture
Blonsky/Abomination
General Ross
Grandmaster

Zemo- Most think he wasnt that great but IMO, he is probably the only MCU villain that won and he also dint die in the end.

The Netflix shows and Agents of Shield/Agent Carter have a list of good villains as well.

Killgrave
Fisk
Cottonmouth
Black Mariah
Madame Gao
Grant Ward
Shades
Dottie Underwood
John Garrett
Nobu
The Meachums
Billy Russo

Just to name some of the top ones.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by John Murdoch

- Wilson Fisk
- Killmonger
- Loki
- Ego
- Red Skull
- Alexander Pierce

That show is almost worth watching just for his performance IMO. Very few MCU villains have been as flat-out terrifying as Purple Man. A guy who can make others do whatever he wants, and he has zero moral checks when it comes to acting on his impulses. IIRC, he made someone slit their own throat pretty much for interrupting and annoying him.

The_Tempest
HYDRA/Pierce/WS in The Winter Soldier.

TheVaultDweller
Billy Russo

This is an underrated one IMO. I thought his performance in The Punisher s1 was great. Him, Frank and Micro were the standouts for me in that show.

Josh_Alexander
Those 2 in the thread title are some of the top ones in the MCU but they have had other good ones as well.

Obadiah Stane
Armin Zola
Red Skull
Alexander Pierce
Winter Soldier
Klaue
Hela
Ego
Crossbones
Vulture
Blonsky/Abomination
General Ross
Grandmaster

Zemo- Most think he wasnt that great but IMO, he is probably the only MCU villain that won and he also dint die in the end.

The Netflix shows and Agents of Shield/Agent Carter have a list of good villains as well.

Killgrave
Fisk
Cottonmouth
Black Mariah
Madame Gao
Grant Ward
Shades
Dottie Underwood
John Garrett
Nobu
The Meachums
Billy Russo

Just to name some of the top ones.

yeah Stane was good. Pierce too.

I feel like they could have done better with Red Skull. Perhaps we see him again in Infinity War.

TheVaultDweller
Oh, and while he isn't normally a villain, Hydra-Fitz made a pretty good one on the previous season of AoS.

Kazenji

Never really understood people's hate him him

guess his plans all coming together and actually working was too perfect for most folks.

TheLordofMurder

You know, I gotta admit, I like Killmonger more than Loki...

Loki looked very weak in Ragnarok; very weak...

True, he isn't and never should be portrayed as Thor's equal, but d@m, he was just pathetic in Ragnarok...

He has been reduced to someone that is sneaky, cant be trusted, and isn't really that powerful; the first 2 should always be true, but the 3rd shouldn't be...

Loki shouldn't be punked anywhere near as easily as he has been lately...

Killmonger, on the other hand, actually defeated Black Panther in a straight up, fair, fight; he looked dangerous, he acted dangerous, and had a presence about him...

Loki is missing the "presence" factor at current...

I like Killmongers motivations for being Evil more than Loki's as well...

Loki comes off as a spoiled, jealous, brat...

Killmonger comes off as being evil due to the death of his father at a young age, and all the hardships life has thrown at him...

Bottomline...

Killmonger 1...Loki 0.

quanchi112
Thanos

/thread

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thanos

/thread

You know, I'd agree with you if he'd done something significant at this point, but he hasn't...

I have no doubt that that will change in May, but at Current, I'd pick Dormammu over any of the other villains we've seen thus far...

Dormmamu has actually killed a major hero (and many, many, times at that)...

Dormmamu is the most powerful villain we've seen so far (IMHO)...

Dormmamu is the single greatest thread the MCU has seen that has actually done something...

That will change in May, but at Current, Dormmamu wins...

relentless1
theres no shortage of good villains in the MCU; Red Skull, Iron Monger, Killmonger, Loki, Vulture, General Ross, Kingpin, Killgrave and Hela are all fantastic, unfortunately theres a lot of shit in there also like Ronan, Ego, Malekith, THAT list goes on and on

riv6672
Originally posted by relentless1
theres no shortage of good villains in the MCU; Red Skull, Iron Monger, Killmonger, Loki, Vulture, General Ross, Kingpin, Killgrave and Hela are all fantastic, unfortunately theres a lot of shit in there also like Ronan, Ego, Malekith, THAT list goes on and on
Thats pretty fair.
Its a testament to how good the MCU movies -are- that i fail to notice the less than awesome villains until much later.

Kazenji
unfortunately theres a lot of shit in there also like Ronan, Ego, Malekith, THAT list goes on and on

Ego's not shit compared to those other two.

relentless1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ego's not shit compared to those other two.

theres no levels of shit, like who's less shitty or more, theres just good or bad and Ego falls into the bad section for me; even Kurt Russell couldn't make Ego work

riv6672
^^^He tried.
But yeah, he falls into 'meh' territory for me, too.

Kazenji
Each to their own i guess

i felt Kurt Russell did a good job in his role.

Darth Thor
Villains arent just about - Hey look how bad ass I am -

Ego worked well because he was Star Lords Father. So you feel it from his perspective.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
You know, I'd agree with you if he'd done something significant at this point, but he hasn't...

I have no doubt that that will change in May, but at Current, I'd pick Dormammu over any of the other villains we've seen thus far...

Dormmamu has actually killed a major hero (and many, many, times at that)...

Dormmamu is the most powerful villain we've seen so far (IMHO)...

Dormmamu is the single greatest thread the MCU has seen that has actually done something...

That will change in May, but at Current, Dormmamu wins...

Yeah Dormammu still holds 1st place in termps of power.

EGO!? Ego was good.

wakkawakkawakka
The problem with MCU villains, when limited to just movies, is that they ultimately don't matter and are just there to be a road block for the hero to punch on.

For example look at Dormammu. The big bad of magic power and the dark dimension yet after being dealt with, in a pretty clever way, there's no news or buzz about the dude since. At the very least an antagonist should leave a lasting impression beyond....checkpoint to the next MCU movie.

Which is why villains like Zemo, Killgrave, Ward, and Killmonger are models for antagonists that the MCU would benefit more from as it would get the audience to invest in their struggle and celebrate when they succeed. A performance or a character trait where the villain has a lasting impact on the audience or the world they interact with.

With that said I still think Malekith is a waste of everyone's time.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
The problem with MCU villains, when limited to just movies, is that they ultimately don't matter and are just there to be a road block for the hero to punch on.

For example look at Dormammu. The big bad of magic power and the dark dimension yet after being dealt with, in a pretty clever way, there's no news or buzz about the dude since. At the very least an antagonist should leave a lasting impression beyond....checkpoint to the next MCU movie.

Which is why villains like Zemo, Killgrave, Ward, and Killmonger are models for antagonists that the MCU would benefit more from as it would get the audience to invest in their struggle and celebrate when they succeed. A performance or a character trait where the villain has a lasting impact on the audience or the world they interact with.

With that said I still think Malekith is a waste of everyone's time.

Yes! I agree, is like they just all of a sudden disappear.

Yeah, Malekith is probably the worst!

Khazra Reborn
Upon viewing BP, I don't see the hype behind Killmonger, he was basically just an exaggerated Black Lives Matter SJW, Hugo Weaving's Red Skull is still my number 1.

Mindset
Gotg2 was garbage and so was Ego.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.