Should the USA have open borders?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
Would allowing anyone to move in and out of the country ultimately have a positive effect or an adverse one holistically speaking?

Do you believe border security should be abolished, decreased, remain the same, or be increased?

Please justify your response.

Flyattractor
View Point: NO.

Justification: Because Open Borders is ASININE!!!

Surtur
If there was any positive impact I cannot see how it could ever come close to the negative impact. Open borders is just a bad idea. For multiple reasons. One is security. If we just said anyone can come here and it's legal then we would have way way more people coming here than we do now. There is no way we could come close to vetting all these people.

Seems like prices for goods would go up and jobs would be harder to find for people coming here. Why? Because if they are now coming here legally it would mean employers can no longer pay them shit wages. Which is the entire incentive of using illegal labor in the first place.

We need stronger border security, badly. I can't see how anyone could think we don't, there have been plenty of stories in the news about illegal immigrants who have been deported 10-15 times.

Robtard
Originally posted by Kurk
Would allowing anyone to move in and out of the country ultimately have a positive effect or an adverse one holistically speaking?

Do you believe border security should be abolished, decreased, remain the same, or be increased?

Please justify your response.

Simple answer: No.

We need tighter border security and more importantly an immigration policy that actually makes sense, as it is now, some people could never come in simply because of birth-chance and others get to the front of the line by the same measures. We're deporting Mexicans/people South of the border left-and-right, but look away to the blonde Swede who's overstayed her visa because her profile is pleasing, we either care across the board or we don't.

Kurk
Originally posted by Robtard
Simple answer: No.

We need tighter border security and more importantly an immigration policy that actually makes sense, as it is now, some people could never come in simply because of birth-chance and others get to the front of the line by the same measures. We're deporting Mexicans/people South of the border left-and-right, but look away to the blonde Swede who's overstayed her visa because her profile is pleasing, we either care across the board or we don't. Wouldn't having open-borders eliminate the problems you've mentioned? Why shouldn't we have it in your opinion?

Firefly218

The Ellimist
I could *maybe* see the argument for having really, really liberal immigration policies, but at the minimum you need to have some sort of safeguard against the "what about ISIS?" loophole.

Robtard
Wouldn't having open-borders eliminate the problems you've mentioned? Why shouldn't we have it in your opinion?

In regards to fairness, yes it would. Because unchecked immigration could be a problem.

jaden101
Maybe humanity will grow up enough to the point of not having borders eventually. But it sure ain't any time soon.

snowdragon
Originally posted by jaden101
Maybe humanity will grow up enough to the point of not having borders eventually. But it sure ain't any time soon. Go ahead, you now have the first authority to start the first nation, I donate 2.63 million dollars!

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden101
Maybe humanity will grow up enough to the point of not having borders eventually. But it sure ain't any time soon.

Feels like some things are always going to be innate. Unless we start drugging ourselves like in "Equilibrium".

Kurk
Originally posted by Robtard
In regards to fairness, yes it would. Because unchecked immigration could be a problem. Why?

DarthPlaguis12
I live in the Texas border...you can literally just walk across, it's the same in Arizona or Cali.

At least it was before the security was beefed up

Surtur
Why?

Are you operating under the impression open borders is a good idea?

The Ellimist
If you abstract humans as economic units enough you can come to the conclusion that the free market should regulate the "unchecked immigration" issue (e.g. jobs get saturated -> people stop coming) if you also put limitations on welfare, and that the economic benefits would be absolutely insane. I still think the economic and productivity benefits of a more liberalized immigration policy would be pretty massive, but there are still other practical considerations like, you know, ISIS just coming in.

Emperordmb
yeah taking advantage of social programs and the cultural shifts unchecked immigration could lead to make me say no

DarthPlaguis12
We do not ignore white people overstaying, the media just doesn't report on them as much

Kurk
Originally posted by Surtur
Are you operating under the impression open borders is a good idea? I am just an uniformed layperson; I would like to hear more of Robtard's justifications for his stance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.