The Many Saints of Newark

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/mar/08/david-chase-to-make-sopranos-prequel-movie-the-many-saints-of-newark

Sopranos prequel movie inbound.

Impediment
Man, David Chase had better redeem himself after the final scene from the Sopranos.

So, is this gonna be like a Johnny Boy and Junior Soprano story?

Impediment
Ray Liotta is officially in.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2019/02/ray-liotta-the-sopranos-prequel-film-goodfellas-mob-movie-david-chase-the-many-saints-of-newark-new-line-warner-bros-1202566594/amp/

Dr Will Hatch
Love Thee Sopranos. I'm excited.

Patient_Leech
I guess I need to watch The Sopranos.

Impediment
Yes, you should.

Greatest tv show of all time.

playa1258
There day one.

Impediment
I wonder if Johnny Boy Soprano and Junior will be the main characters.

playa1258
Well I hope they do. Details are under wraps for now.

Impediment
The first trailer is here!!!

8YQT_KJupgg

Robtard
Can't wait, but this had better be terrific, considering what it's based on and the following the show has.

BruceSkywalker
why the frck hollywood.. gonna pass

Robtard
Decided to watch The Sopranos a second time. Not going to power binge it, just catch and ep or three here/there

Impediment

jaden_2.0
Somebody pointed out to me that he looks like a de-aged John Cusack and I can't unsee it.
https://i.ibb.co/J7byWcr/Smart-Select-20210630-003045-Chrome.jpg

Robtard
I said similar to my wife

jaden_2.0
He's looks similar to your wife?

Robtard
laughing out loud

Yeah, that was poor wording on my part.

carthage
This looks really ****ing good

Impediment

jaden_2.0
Unrelated fact that I realised today. Jamie-Lynn Sigler, who played Meadow Soprano is older now than James Gandolfini was when he began playing Tony Soprano.

Jmanghan
I'm excited for this movie, Sopranos is one of my favorite TV Shows.

Jmanghan
Some things I find a bit odd.

Paulie looks way too young, Silvio looks way too old (he went to school with Tony, yeah?)

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Some things I find a bit odd.

Paulie looks way too young, Silvio looks way too old (he went to school with Tony, yeah?)

Tony Soprano was born on August 22, 1959

Silvio was born in June 1957

Jmanghan
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Tony Soprano was born on August 22, 1959

Silvio was born in June 1957 Silvio still looks like he's in his mid-30's, and that wouldn't exactly mean they didn't go to school together.

Impediment

jaden_2.0
Well that is something I did not know.

Impediment
Well that is something I did not know.

And knowing is half the battle.

jaden_2.0
So this was absolutely 100% drivel. A total cash-in and complete waste of time.

It's narrated by a dead Christopher Moltisanti who I can only presume that Michael Imperioli had had a stroke because he talks with an entirely different voice tone and accent

If you were wondering why Ray Liotta doesn't have a character name in the listings it's because he plays 2 identical twins. Dickie Moltisanti's father and uncle

Mostly the casting is hilariously bad. The guy playing Silvio Dante being the worst of them. Paulie isn't much better. Joey Diaz is sh1t anyway. Even Corey Stoll and Jon Berenthal pretty much phone in their performances. Liotta is OK as DM's uncle and does a decent job of showing how different his 2 roles are but even then he's not in it enough to improve the movie overall

I will say that Vera Farmiga is absolutely brilliant as Livia Soprano. Her voice and mannerisms are exactly like Nancy Marchand

There's also small appearances for young versions of Jackie Aprille, Artie Bucco and Carmine Lupertazi.

There's no real plot to speak of. Dickie kills his father and his goomah (who was also his father wife earlier in the movie) but there's no consequences for it

Then the film ends with the pointless revelation that it was uncle Junior who had Dickie killed for laughing at him when he slipped on some stairs

The movie tries to get some cheap notes of nostalgia for the series by having Junior say "he's not got the makings of a varsity athlete" and "Your sister's cvnt"

2/10. A point each for Farmiga and Alessandro Nivola who is very good as Dickie Moltisanti.

Robtard
So this was absolutely 100% drivel. A total cash-in and complete waste of time.

Well that's a massive disappointment, now isn't it.

I'll just watch this at home then for free.

jaden_2.0
I'd go as far as to say it was even more blatant and rubbish than El Camino

Bashar Teg
'member sopranos?

Impediment
How did you already see it?

jaden_2.0
Got a cinema release here on Wednesday night.

jaden_2.0

Impediment
This will most likely be another Breaking Bad: El Camino, but the nostalgia should be worth it.

Impediment
Michael Imperioli 100% phoned in his lines like he was on Xanax. The narration was completely irrelevant and not needed.

Overall, I enjoyed this film but it was a little forced and all over the place.

Still, the nostalgia and Easter eggs were great.

6/10

Jmanghan
This timeline either separates it from the show, or retcons the original shows's timeline.

Tony was supposed to be 16 in 1976, in 1969 he watched his dad cut off satriale's finger.

Except this movie claims he is 11 in 1967. Also wtf is up with Silvio being so old.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.