Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
w3Gt42kVgCw

At first I thought this was a port but if we're getting Link from Breath of the Wild, it's likely new.

cdtm
Almost tempted to buy this just to resell it. Things like gold.

No offense to Smash players. I'd just rather pocket the money and enjoy a 2 dollar classic like Guardian Heroes for all my competitive multiplayer needs.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by cdtm
Almost tempted to buy this just to resell it. Things like gold.

No offense to Smash players. I'd just rather pocket the money and enjoy a 2 dollar classic like Guardian Heroes for all my competitive multiplayer needs.

Thought someone posted in here but it's just marketing spam bots. Moving on...

cdtm
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Thought someone posted in here but it's just marketing spam bots. Moving on...

?

A little late to market a dead game, friend.

Ridley_Prime
lol

Well I hope it's a new entry. In gameplay SSB4 (3DS/Wii U) was heaps and bounds above Brawl, but it had the worst retention (for me at least), and limited content due to there being two versions as opposed to just one game to focus on.

If it's coming out this year, at least it's not a whole other era of speculation that'll lead to disappointment.

Nemesis X
If you pause @1:10 on the trailer, you'll see HAL Laboratory on the bottom right. That's the developer behind all the Smash games before Bandai Namco stepped in for Smash 4 on Wii U/3DS. We're getting the original gang back! big grin

Bro SMASH
If you pause @1:10 on the trailer, you'll see HAL Laboratory on the bottom right. That's the developer behind all the Smash games before Bandai Namco stepped in for Smash 4 on Wii U/3DS. We're getting the original gang back! big grin

HAL's name was also shown in the first SSB4 trailer, though.

Nemesis X
...Goddangit.

Nemesis X
5dEVMvI0PyE

cdtm
Any chance at all to get Son Goku or Batman?

I mean, we got Snake.

Nemesis X
Smash Bros. Ultimate (coming out on December 7th btw) is a compilation of everyone in Smash history. EVERY. ONE.

h3ORhTecN1g

With changes to some of them!

jB5hCIhXHtE

But wait there's more!

MEP1yTd4BHU

I FORGET TO MENTION WE GOT FRIGGIN RIDLEY?!

cdtm
Is this clay fighters? The ugly arsed graphics look like claymation.

An official sprite based Smash would be the best Smash, sprite >>>>>> 3D renders.

ares834
Ridley! Finally!

Anyway, having every character return is pretty awesome. Game looks like it will be great.

Ridley_Prime
After the last couple entries, I had kinda given up on him getting in, but wow. This beats even the best playable mods of him out there.

https://i.imgur.com/xxcbBvT.gif

The end of an era my friends, and the start of a new one...

https://i.imgur.com/dVo2CBy.jpg

KCJ506
With pretty much every character returning, I have a feeling this is gonna end up spoiling some people in the long run. Because now this is what they're gonna expect each Smash game afterwards to do from now on.

Nemesis X
David Hayter will be coming back to voice Snake. New Codec?

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/12/17454264/super-smash-bros-brawl-david-hayter-solid-snake

Jmanghan
Some other people who would fit into this would be the characters from the Gauntlet series, Tales of, and more.

cdtm
...yaaaay..

ares834
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Some other people who would fit into this would be the characters from the Gauntlet series, Tales of, and more.

No thanks. If they introduce more third party characters I'd rather they be big iconic ones ala Crash or Dovahkiin.

Nemesis X
Or Doomguy or Shantae.

cdtm
Or Duke Nukem.

Nemesis X
Nice to see that the more people abuse the dodge button, the greater the risk it will build now. That's been very needed for this series.

Nemesis X
oR8TAwPWbYI

Title's no joke. There are in fact eyewitness reports that do claim Sakurai himself was shaking his own head in disgust to what he witnessed.

CPT Space Bomb
Is this clay fighters? The ugly arsed graphics look like claymation.

An official sprite based Smash would be the best Smash, sprite >>>>>> 3D renders. Are you just the dumbest person to ever live? My god. Smash Ultimate looks great, it's not meant to be viewed ultra closeup anyway. Also, if you own a Switch you're NOT OWNING IT FOR GRAPHICAL FIDELITY. FFS dude, you want graphics go buy a gaming pc Like I have. I own a PC and a Switch and I love them both. Get a clue pleb.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Are you just the dumbest person to ever live? My god. Smash Ultimate looks great, it's not meant to be viewed ultra closeup anyway. Also, if you own a Switch you're NOT OWNING IT FOR GRAPHICAL FIDELITY. FFS dude, you want graphics go buy a gaming pc Like I have. I own a PC and a Switch and I love them both. Get a clue pleb.

You should be the one getting a clue 'cause you just bit into his bait facepalm

CPT Space Bomb
You should be the one getting a clue 'cause you just bit into his bait facepalm It's not bait my friend. He REALLY is that dumb. His posts in other parts of these forums prove it.

cdtm
You should be the one getting a clue 'cause you just bit into his bait facepalm

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
It's not bait my friend. He REALLY is that dumb. His posts in other parts of these forums prove it.

I mean, CSB started an argument with Namebro over a movie he claimed he liked, because he had a minor criticism. CBT makes Carv and H1 look sane.

CPT Space Bomb
I mean, CSB started an argument with Namebro over a movie he claimed he liked, because he had a minor criticism. CBT makes Carv and H1 look sane. No, I shot back at memeboy because he insulted me personally, as he always does. Just like you have done. So I have no problem insulting either of you in the future and calling you out for what you are.

ANYWYAY, Smash Ultimate looks amazing. Can't wait.

cdtm
Cucky sloppy blowhole, when have I ever insulted you?!! Or any of those other idiots encompassing everyone everywhere?

You can't point out one example of one insult, because it never happens, you nazi mall shopping ghost riding buffalo diarrhea swimming ball hopping poor man's Kanye West. mad

BackFire
cdtm, please chill with the trolling in here, it's starting to get out of hand. Thanks.

cdtm
Originally posted by BackFire
cdtm, please chill with the trolling in here, it's starting to get out of hand. Thanks.

I'll scale it back, though I'm honestly not "trying" to troll here (I do loudly complain about things I hate, I admit.)

In my defense here though, Space Bomb has a history of going after people like Carver against a Superman fan. I shall ignore him, if he says anything else to me here, and avoid him..

BackFire
Thank you. I have no problem with arguing with someone, just there seems to be numerous threads in here where you are kinda taking the threads off the rails.

cdtm
Originally posted by BackFire
Thank you. I have no problem with arguing with someone, just there seems to be numerous threads in here where you are kinda taking the threads off the rails.

I need to learn to leave Dragon Ball hate in the anime forum. sad

Apologies.

Ridley_Prime
Ke8GxO3_Ml0

9hS6AUvKZtI

AfR4drgcHP4

Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Dark Samus as an echo fighter, and more? As if there wasn't already enough about this game to be sold on.

Bro SMASH
Now that Simon Belmont is finally in, I now have all the characters I ever wanted in Smash Bros.

Nemesis X
P3G5_rwvIi8

Quincy
Turning off stage hazards is totally awesome.

One stage transforming into another: also awesome.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Ke8GxO3_Ml0

9hS6AUvKZtI

AfR4drgcHP4

Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, Dark Samus as an echo fighter, and more? As if there wasn't already enough about this game to be sold on. I will suck Masahiro Sakurai's dick and smile happily while I'm doing it.

Ridley_Prime
Taken from the older previous Smash thread...

Originally posted by Bentley
Personally I will stop buying Smash games if they ever put K. Rool into the game, awful character wink
kJKjwuTQtGg

Bathing in the salt of K. Rool and Ridley haters will probably never stop being satisfying, at least until Ultimate's release anyway.

victreebelvictr
the first thing they need to change is richter belmont, i hate the hype for echo fighters. they need to look at characters from different games of theirs. like at least one title. like they have none from rpgs only, so throw in geno. they dont have any short villains so that they should add fawful because he is a great part of thr rpgs that he starred in and he is short. lots of variety for a moveset as well.

Ridley_Prime
Fair enough on the character suggestions, but Castlevania fans are lucky to get a character at all, let alone two, so I wouldnt be that picky about Richter. I mean I wouldve liked if Dark Samus was executed at her fullest unique potential, but yknow, still happy to have her. The whole echo fighters branding was a good way of painting moveset clone characters in a more acceptable light, IMO.

victreebelvictr
Fair enough on the character suggestions, but Castlevania fans are lucky to get a character at all, let alone two, so I wouldnt be that picky about Richter. I mean I wouldve liked if Dark Samus was executed at her fullest unique potential, but yknow, still happy to have her. The whole echo fighters branding was a good way of painting moveset clone characters in a more acceptable light, IMO. true, but one is enough other than a character that is in te same exact game with the same abilities pretty much. at least dark samus has more variety in games that it starred in.

victreebelvictr
bump

Nemesis X
WShCN-AYHqA

7buEBe9YB9g

And here is Smash Ultimate's first DLC character:
JGc6QZX68Zc

Bentley
Taken from the older previous Smash thread...

kJKjwuTQtGg

Bathing in the salt of K. Rool and Ridley haters will probably never stop being satisfying, at least until Ultimate's release anyway.

I'm a known unrepentant Smash hater, I only cared before because I'm a pokemon freak and I have pokken now ahah

Ridley_Prime
I'm a known unrepentant Smash hater, I only cared before because I'm a pokemon freak and I have pokken now ahah
Well, now you got Incineroar for Smash, whose actually a pretty cool addition if I say so myself.

victreebelvictr
WHERE IS FAWFUL?!?:

ares834
Q7z1Ny1kc6g

After playing the game for a few hours, it was amazing seeing this. I didn't see it coming...

BackFire
I technically own this game for now, it came in the mail today, but it's a gift for my gf's brother.

Jmanghan
Bought it yesterday.

Send me some friends codes in PM so we can smash it up! smile

Jmanghan
Now that that's outta the way...

Adventure mode is fun, but disappointing, where's all the modes where you take down baddies on a huge stage?

I loved taking down henchmen in the original adventure mode on melee and in Smash Run on the 3DS, it was awesome and addictive, and Ig I always DO have that if I ever wanna go back but... C'mon man, you went all out with everything else, you couldn't give us that original adventure mode where it felt like you were going through actual stages instead of just boss fights with stipulations?

Sure this is a lot longer, but I wanna kill some Goombas with Marth, or Redead's with Mega-Man.

Not to say it isn't fun, and I enjoy the new spirit system a lot, but ugh, so much missed potential.

Jmanghan
Anyone hoping for Sephiroth DLC? We have Cloud, let's complete this shit.

cdtm
Kind of surprised Cloud even beat Sephiroth in.

Judging by other crossover games like Kingdom Hearts, not to mention listening to the fan base, I gathered Sephiroth was much more popular of a character then Cloud.

Same way nobody would want to play
Luke Skywalker over Darth Vader.

cdtm
Now that that's outta the way...

Adventure mode is fun, but disappointing, where's all the modes where you take down baddies on a huge stage?

I loved taking down henchmen in the original adventure mode on melee and in Smash Run on the 3DS, it was awesome and addictive, and Ig I always DO have that if I ever wanna go back but... C'mon man, you went all out with everything else, you couldn't give us that original adventure mode where it felt like you were going through actual stages instead of just boss fights with stipulations?

Sure this is a lot longer, but I wanna kill some Goombas with Marth, or Redead's with Mega-Man.

Not to say it isn't fun, and I enjoy the new spirit system a lot, but ugh, so much missed potential. t

Does anyone really play Smash for a story mode, though?

Best template for a GOOD story mode might be Abyss Odyssey. Game was more or less 70% Smash in gameplay style.

Jmanghan
t

Does anyone really play Smash for a story mode, though?

Best template for a GOOD story mode might be Abyss Odyssey. Game was more or less 70% Smash in gameplay style. I may be the only person on earth that has Smash and doesn't play it for the multiplayer.

Ridley_Prime
Haven't played that much World of Light yet and mostly been doing the character unlock grinding through Classic mode and other means. I hear ya though @ Jmanghan on what could've been more. WoL is a grindfest, but at least I'll be getting my hours/days worth before I eventually play online...

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by ares834
Q7z1Ny1kc6g

After playing the game for a few hours, it was amazing seeing this. I didn't see it coming...

And this makes me finally decide...that I don't want to buy this game now.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
And this makes me finally decide...that I don't want to buy this game now.
Wait, that was a dealbreaker for you, when it already included Simon Belmont and pretty much everyone else you/we wanted?

ares834
Yeah, it seems really stupid to not buy a game because a character you don't like is playable in it. Anyway, my biggest issue with the game is how they handle rules in Vs mode. You can't change them in the Character select screen like you have always been able to do before, instead you have to create and save a ruleset and use that. Rather tedious.

I'm also not a fan of how the CSS and SSS are sorted. THey really need to allow us to sort them by franchise.

Bentley
I think Incineroar was a nice addition. But I'm among those players that don't care about having such an expansive roster and rather have modes that emulate other fighter series for differrent gameplay styles.

Bro SMASH
Wait, that was a dealbreaker for you, when it already included Simon Belmont and pretty much everyone else you/we wanted?

Yeah, unfortunately.

Even though I am happy that Simon finally did make it in, my interest in the series was already slowly waning. I was still considering getting it because of Simon but seeing another character that is more associated with PlayStation really makes me upset. It took me awhile to get over this with Cloud and by the time Simon was revealed, I kind of finally did but with Joker now confirmed, it's basically Cloud all over again.

Plus, it also doesn't help that fans keep using this to take shots a PlayStation All-Stars (a game that I still enjoy to this day and still hope to see a sequel to).

Now I'm not a "Nintendo purist". I don't mind third-party characters, just as long as they have a long history on Nintendo consoles (which is why I wanted characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Simon). But if Sakurai is going to keep adding characters that makes me think of PlayStation or anything else but Nintendo, then I'm out. This series just isn't for me anymore then.

I'll wait and see what the rest of the DLC characters are and if they're not anything like Joker or Cloud, then I might consider getting it. I'm not in a rush to get the game right now.

Yeah, it seems really stupid to not buy a game because a character you don't like is playable in it. Anyway, my biggest issue with the game is how they handle rules in Vs mode. You can't change them in the Character select screen like you have always been able to do before, instead you have to create and save a ruleset and use that. Rather tedious.

I'm also not a fan of how the CSS and SSS are sorted. THey really need to allow us to sort them by franchise.

It's not that I don't like the characters. It's just that I don't like the direction this series is going. If I feel that a series is heading to a direction that I don't like, then why I should keep buying the games? Plus, the series is just getting stale to me.

Bro SMASH
Okay, now that there is a rumor that Erdrick from Dragon Quest might be a DLC character for this game, I think I'll consider getting this game again.

Jmanghan
Is it weird that I main Mii Swordfighter?

I tried to make a weird Warrior of Light Mii, and it turned out pretty good, even if there's no equipment that looks remotely like him.

I've actually pulled out some pretty awesome victories online with him though.

Inhuman
Waluigi is the only DLC character i would want.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, unfortunately.

Even though I am happy that Simon finally did make it in, my interest in the series was already slowly waning. I was still considering getting it because of Simon but seeing another character that is more associated with PlayStation really makes me upset. It took me awhile to get over this with Cloud and by the time Simon was revealed, I kind of finally did but with Joker now confirmed, it's basically Cloud all over again.

Plus, it also doesn't help that fans keep using this to take shots a PlayStation All-Stars (a game that I still enjoy to this day and still hope to see a sequel to).

Now I'm not a "Nintendo purist". I don't mind third-party characters, just as long as they have a long history on Nintendo consoles (which is why I wanted characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Simon). But if Sakurai is going to keep adding characters that makes me think of PlayStation or anything else but Nintendo, then I'm out. This series just isn't for me anymore then.

I'll wait and see what the rest of the DLC characters are and if they're not anything like Joker or Cloud, then I might consider getting it. I'm not in a rush to get the game right now.
The 3rd parties I've pretty much been indifferent to save for a couple new ones, especially now that I've finally gotten all the 1st parties I wanted, but see where you're coming from. Smash is starting to run dry on notable Nintendo 1st parties left to add too though, even if there's still some, so makes sense for them to keep looking to other 3rd parties to keep the hype going. I'm indifferent to Joker but he's not gonna ruin the experience for me or anything, and fanboys have always knocked on PSASBR, tho shouldn't let that ruin Ultimate for you.

So after finishing World of Light earlier on, I think it might actually be the best single player Smash mode for me to date. The only other really good ones to name for me were Melee's adventure mode and Smash Run on the 3DS. WoL could've maybe used more cutscenes but then I guess it would've been another Subspace, which I didn't care too much for. The RPG system with the spirit types and leveling was fresh for the series imo, and when I got to the 2nd half or so by the time you've unlocked mostly everyone, I was more invested again. The setting/place where you get Ridley at I couldn't of been happier with, and all the subworld recreations of areas from certain games (without naming so as to not spoil) were fantastic.

cdtm
I agree, Nintendo shouldn't let too many off console ip's on. Plenty of fan games for the third party itch.

Solid Snake was a neat novelty, but glad he's gone.

Will say, Sega doesn't count. It's Nintendo's fault Sonic and friends don't have a home, so bring them on.

Ridley_Prime
Snake is back tho, everyone is in Ultimate.

Tbh there are other fighters that I have the "too many 3rd party" gripes more than I do with Smash. Mortal Kombat now to name one, but 3rd parties in general typically make the most money as DLC, so they won't be going anywhere.

ares834
I'm all for more 3rd party characters personally. At this point, they've already got most of the important Nintendo characters and pretty much any other ones would be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

cdtm
Snake is back tho, everyone is in Ultimate.

Tbh there are other fighters that I have the "too many 3rd party" gripes more than I do with Smash. Mortal Kombat now to name one, but 3rd parties in general typically make the most money as DLC, so they won't be going anywhere.

May as well add Crash then, that way you can do team Sega against team Sony against team Nintendo. All they need is MS representation.

ares834
Bring on Master Chief. thumb up

victreebelvictr
What the hell is up with this Pirhana Plant thing?

Is it a DLC?!

Ridley_Prime
Bring on Master Chief. thumb up
Chief would be fine, but I prefer Doomguy.

y30WRG1nPao

Originally posted by victreebelvictr
What the hell is up with this Pirhana Plant thing?

Is it a DLC?!
wjcWgzjEDdM

Bentley
Who the phuck cares if characters come from games popular in another console? Are you guys drunk on Quanchi's blood or something? erm

Bro SMASH
The 3rd parties I've pretty much been indifferent to save for a couple new ones, especially now that I've finally gotten all the 1st parties I wanted, but see where you're coming from. Smash is starting to run dry on notable Nintendo 1st parties left to add too though, even if there's still some, so makes sense for them to keep looking to other 3rd parties to keep the hype going. I'm indifferent to Joker but he's not gonna ruin the experience for me or anything, and fanboys have always knocked on PSASBR, tho shouldn't let that ruin Ultimate for you.

So after finishing World of Light earlier on, I think it might actually be the best single player Smash mode for me to date. The only other really good ones to name for me were Melee's adventure mode and Smash Run on the 3DS. WoL could've maybe used more cutscenes but then I guess it would've been another Subspace, which I didn't care too much for. The RPG system with the spirit types and leveling was fresh for the series imo, and when I got to the 2nd half or so by the time you've unlocked mostly everyone, I was more invested again. The setting/place where you get Ridley at I couldn't of been happier with, and all the subworld recreations of areas from certain games (without naming so as to not spoil) were fantastic.

Well, like I said, my interest in this series is waning anyway. I want something more fresh. As much as I like Smash Bros., I don't want it to be the only series of its kind. That's the main reason why I was so hyped for PlayStation All-Stars; it was a console mascot fighter that didn't involve Nintendo and it still had its own unique features. Smash Bros. is a series I'm getting tired of and these third-party characters really aren't helping.

As of right now, I'm just thinking about getting it but I'm definitely not in a rush to get it right now and with the very little interest I do still have, I wouldn't be hard for me to just skip this game altogether.

Who the phuck cares if characters come from games popular in another console? Are you guys drunk on Quanchi's blood or something? erm

I care...and I'm obviously not the only one. I don't know about you but I don't want just any character in Smash Bros.

Jmanghan
Well, like I said, my interest in this series is waning anyway. I want something more fresh. As much as I like Smash Bros., I don't want it to be the only series of its kind. That's the main reason why I was so hyped for PlayStation All-Stars; it was a console mascot fighter that didn't involve Nintendo and it still had its own unique features. Smash Bros. is a series I'm getting tired of and these third-party characters really aren't helping.

As of right now, I'm just thinking about getting it but I'm definitely not in a rush to get it right now and with the very little interest I do still have, I wouldn't be hard for me to just skip this game altogether.

I care...and I'm obviously not the only one. I don't know about you but I don't want just any character in Smash Bros. I want every character they can get.

Quincy
Respect to your own opinion, but I can't ever really get on board with the people who gate-keep the roster for Smash brothers. I've got a buddy of mine that always complains about how "deserving" someone is and it's like, dude.

Here's all your "deserving mainstays" and here's some extra goodies like Ryu and Cloud and hell yeah bring on Joker and Snake. There wouldn't ever be a situation that arises where I would ever be annoyed or angry about someone being included in the game. There are literally seventy other people to play as.

Jmanghan
Rumors are circulating about Banjo-Kazooie being a DLC character.

KCJ506
Originally posted by Quincy
Respect to your own opinion, but I can't ever really get on board with the people who gate-keep the roster for Smash brothers. I've got a buddy of mine that always complains about how "deserving" someone is and it's like, dude.

Here's all your "deserving mainstays" and here's some extra goodies like Ryu and Cloud and hell yeah bring on Joker and Snake. There wouldn't ever be a situation that arises where I would ever be annoyed or angry about someone being included in the game. There are literally seventy other people to play as.

Yeah when people say things like a certain character "deserves" or "needs" to be in, that just screams entitlement. Let's change that to "I would have preferred if(insert character name) had got in instead".

This goes not just for Smash, but other fighters as well.

Ridley_Prime
For Smash the only consistent "rule" that's been stated is that a character has to originate in a video game to be eligible, so I'll rightfully gatekeep against non-game characters that people clamor for like Goku, but otherwise it's fair game.

And yeah, if you get Ultimate, not like someone's gonna make you buy Joker or anyone extra that doesn't appeal to you.

KCJ506
For Smash the only consistent "rule" that's been stated is that a character has to originate in a video game to be eligible, so I'll rightfully gatekeep against non-game characters that people clamor for like Goku, but otherwise it's fair game.

I agree. Nothing against Goku, but if they were to actually put him in Smash, all it will end up doing is opening flood gates for pretty much any other character out there that didn't originate in a video game. You're going to end up with fanbases from every pop icon with a keyboard demanding characters like Harry Potter, Spider-man, Wolverine, James Bond, Homer Simpson, Spongebob, etc, etc. Not to mention other anime fanbases which are going to want characters from those animes.

By the end of it you're left with a game that was once a celebration about Nintendo icons to one which is just a celebration of pop icons in general. Newcomers from Nintendo IP's like Arms or the Wonderful 101 will never get in as the discussion is dominated by requests characters Batman, Iron Man and Darth Vader.

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by KCJ506
I agree. Nothing against Goku, but if they were to actually put him in Smash, all it will end up doing is opening flood gates for pretty much any other character out there that didn't originate in a video game. You're going to end up with fanbases from every pop icon with a keyboard demanding characters like Harry Potter, Spider-man, Wolverine, James Bond, Homer Simpson, Spongebob, etc, etc. Not to mention other anime fanbases which are going to want characters from those animes.

By the end of it you're left with a game that was once a celebration about Nintendo icons to one which is just a celebration of pop icons in general. Newcomers from Nintendo IP's like Arms or the Wonderful 101 will never get in as the discussion is dominated by requests characters Batman, Iron Man and Darth Vader.

At this point, it's almost as bad even with third-party characters in it. You won't hear anybody talk about characters from Arms or Wonderful 101 because they're not "iconic".

Also, I don't think people are being "entitled" when they say a character is deserving. They just want a consistent concept. This series is appealing to Nintendo fans who likely grew up on Nintendo series and third-party series on those consoles. So when they said "deserving", I don't think they mean their favorites but more like, a character makes sense for the Nintendo All-Star concept that this series centered around. That's one of the main reason why people want characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont in the game. Their series could easily pass off as Nintendo series and that's those characters are not controversial.

But characters like Cloud and Joker? It's pretty obvious why everybody is not accepting them. It's too much of a contrast with the series. Personally, for SE, I'd rather a Dragon Quest rep because I view that series in the same way I view Mega Man and Castlevania, in that it has a long history on Nintendo consoles. A rep like that wouldn't be a problem.

And as for Persona, why not a Shin Megami Tensei character instead? PlayStation has Persona and Nintendo has Shin Megami Tensei. With this still being a Nintendo crossover series, it's easy to understand why a SMT character fits better than a Persona character.

I've seen people complain about guest characters in other fighting games. People talk about how NRS went overboard with MKX and I understand that because I feel the same way. Then there's problem people have with the "Xbox character" Big Daddy in a PlayStation crossover game and I see what they're saying with that too but...that is literally the same problem I (and many others) have with Cloud and Joker in Smash Bros., but fans make all different kind of excuses for that.

It's stuff like that is what turns me off. I know it may seem silly to turn away from a series because of other people but this wouldn't have even happened in the first place if the series stayed consistent.

Jmanghan
At this point, it's almost as bad even with third-party characters in it. You won't hear anybody talk about characters from Arms or Wonderful 101 because they're not "iconic".

Also, I don't think people are being "entitled" when they say a character is deserving. They just want a consistent concept. This series is appealing to Nintendo fans who likely grew up on Nintendo series and third-party series on those consoles. So when they said "deserving", I don't think they mean their favorites but more like, a character makes sense for the Nintendo All-Star concept that this series centered around. That's one of the main reason why people want characters like Mega Man and Simon Belmont in the game. Their series could easily pass off as Nintendo series and that's those characters are not controversial.

But characters like Cloud and Joker? It's pretty obvious why everybody is not accepting them. It's too much of a contrast with the series. Personally, for SE, I'd rather a Dragon Quest rep because I view that series in the same way I view Mega Man and Castlevania, in that it has a long history on Nintendo consoles. A rep like that wouldn't be a problem.

And as for Persona, why not a Shin Megami Tensei character instead? PlayStation has Persona and Nintendo has Shin Megami Tensei. With this still being a Nintendo crossover series, it's easy to understand why a SMT character fits better than a Persona character.

I've seen people complain about guest characters in other fighting games. People talk about how NRS went overboard with MKX and I understand that because I feel the same way. Then there's problem people have with the "Xbox character" Big Daddy in a PlayStation crossover game and I see what they're saying with that too but...that is literally the same problem I (and many others) have with Cloud and Joker in Smash Bros., but fans make all different kind of excuses for that.

It's stuff like that is what turns me off. I know it may seem silly to turn away from a series because of other people but this wouldn't have even happened in the first place if the series stayed consistent. Yeah Cloud was pretty odd, out of all the FF characters they could've chosen, they choose the one that didn't even debut on a Nintendo console.

Ridley_Prime

cdtm
I just don't understand the requests for Son Goku, or anime characters.

They're not even GAME characters. Game crossovers is the entire point, why not ask for Jack Bauer while you're at it?

Ridley_Prime
James Bond would arguably be more justified than most considering Goldeneye 64 and the impact it had, but still, yeah.

victreebelvictr
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Alright, so on the final board where it shows both Galeem and Dharkon.

I got the Galeem winning ending, but now I have no ide how to restart the board to get the Dharkon ending, is there a way to do so?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by victreebelvictr
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

Alright, so on the final board where it shows both Galeem and Dharkon.

I got the Galeem winning ending, but now I have no ide how to restart the board to get the Dharkon ending, is there a way to do so? You need to reload.

There's more then just those 2 endings btw, you can fight them both.

victreebelvictr
You need to reload.

There's more then just those 2 endings btw, you can fight them both. 1. I just tried that, but my game was stuck or something. erm

I did find out how to get all endings though, I got the Hands to make the hole in reality and got to the map where it gave me the choice of either fighting both or one at a time. smile

I think that round was harder than Tabuu actually.

Ridley_Prime
Now that Piranha Plant's finally here, it's alright; like some of its moves. Glad to see it has a Palatena Guidance codec too which gives me hope that the DLC characters will have ones unlike the previous Smash.

Mostly happy with the balance changes that came with the update too. Here's a list of the adjustments.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43317

Being able to short hop easier now simply by pressing both jump buttons is also nice.

Jmanghan
Now that Piranha Plant's finally here, it's alright; like some of its moves. Glad to see it has a Palatena Guidance codec too which gives me hope that the DLC characters will have ones unlike the previous Smash.

Mostly happy with the balance changes that came with the update too. Here's a list of the adjustments.

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43317

Being able to short hop easier now simply by pressing both jump buttons is also nice. how do you access the palutena guidance things?

Ridley_Prime
Choose Pit, Palutena's Temple stage, and lightly/quickly press the down taunt button. Same thing with Snake on Shadow Moses Island if you want to see the Brawl codecs again, though kinda bummed that they just ported/reused them instead of giving Hayter Snake anything new to work with but eh, better than nothing.

cdtm
Did I see Smash is available off Humble Store?

What's the point, if I can't play it on my pc?

Nemesis X
Choose Pit, Palutena's Temple stage, and lightly/quickly press the down taunt button. Same thing with Snake on Shadow Moses Island if you want to see the Brawl codecs again, though kinda bummed that they just ported/reused them instead of giving Hayter Snake anything new to work with but eh, better than nothing.

They should've just had Snake and Palutena do a collab together and have her appear in his codec.

Did I see Smash is available off Humble Store?

What's the point, if I can't play it on my pc?

How would you be able to play it on a pina coloda anyway? It's a drink, silly.

Jmanghan
HEY GUYS I DONT WANNA ****IN ALARM YOU BUT:

mtkTrRHyCV0

Bro SMASH
Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo-Kazooie for Smash:

jAH2cWP_BK4

I9t6-kHssGs

Now these characters I accept in Smash! I've been wanting Banjo in this series since the first two games!

Jmanghan
Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo-Kazooie for Smash:

jAH2cWP_BK4

I9t6-kHssGs

Now these characters I accept in Smash! I've been wanting Banjo in this series since the first two games! Who tf is Dragon Quest Hero?

Erdrick?

Descendant of Erdrick?

Nemesis X
Hyped as hell here for Banjo finally making it in as he should've been since Smash 64.

ares834

Jmanghan
What a coicidence, I have no idea who the hell this Luminara ***** is.

How disappointing. First inclusion of the DQ games and it's someone from the newest game when they KNOW people wanted Erdrick.

Banjo's pretty cool. I want Sir Arthur or Firebrand in the ****ing game.

ares834
Watch the trailer before bitching. Erdrick is in as well. He is an alternate skin...

Jmanghan
Watch the trailer before bitching. Erdrick is in as well. He is an alternate skin... Still a pretty weird decision, now people gotta scroll through every time they wanna play as Erdrick, when I guarantee you, you'll never ever see the main skin online, it'll be Erdrick every time.

Ridley_Prime
Now these characters I accept in Smash! I've been wanting Banjo in this series since the first two games!
So does that mean you're (heh) finally raring to try this game out at some point in addition to Simon Belmont and the other stuff?

Nemesis X
With Banjo appearing on a Nintendo console again, you know what needs to be posted.

NjYWVia5bAM

Jmanghan
So does that mean you're (heh) finally raring to try this game out at some point in addition to Simon Belmont and the other stuff? I feel, since according to them this is the be-all end-all Smash game, they will have a hard time topping it unless we get everything we got this time, next time.

Like, its cool they made it, but now future installments are ALWAYS going to be disappointments.

They should've made more DLC characters then just 5.

I'd settle for 7-10, but not 5, that was cool for Smash 4, it'd be cool for any of the Smash games. But not this one, no.

Now just 1 character left and its GOING to disappoint a large amount of people. Knowing them probably going to Geno, Doomguy, or Steve from Minecraft.

All of which are great choices but will leave others left wanting, like Rayman, and I know I've talking about GnG a lot lately but you can't lie and tell me Sir Arthur wouldn't be a welcome and fitting addition to the Smash Bros. roster, he shoulda been here in Smash 4 as DLC but I doubt he's going to make it in now because of the low amount of character DLC.

Meanwhile other games we see character packs which see 2, sometimes even 3 characters every few months and their roster is almost doubled. (which would be very hard to pull off for smash specifically, I understand).

But not us, naw, we gotta settle for 5 extras and hope our character gets in. I'm cool with not having like 20, but give us 10 at least man. You can also release them in individual character packs instead of releasing one at a time every few months.

Nemesis X
No way it's gonna be Steve when each DLC is looking to be representing a different company. Should Nintendo talk with the west again, I can only hope either Shantae or Doomguy is next.

Jmanghan
No way it's gonna be Steve when each DLC is looking to be representing a different company. Should Nintendo talk with the west again, I can only hope either Shantae or Doomguy is next. You know Mojang is still around, right? Mojang is a different company.

Nemesis X
You know Mojang is still around, right? Mojang is a different company.

Minecraft's owned by Microsoft still, dude.

Ridley_Prime
I could really see it going either way as far as a fighter pass 2 or just there being anymore DLC characters at all after the initial fighter pass, but with how people (myself included) don't like how far out they spread these DLC character reveals and releases (Joker was revealed too early in hindsight with how long it took to release him), I can see DLC character sales having diminishing returns eventually, depending on how long they were to drag it out.

That said, I can live with just 5 extra characters or so, and regardless of the amount there's always going to be some major/notable character still not in by the end that some are going to be disappointed with not having. That's just the kind of juggernaut Smash is now, but it's still amazing Ultimate has gone to the lengths that it has with adding characters who were previously seen as impossible. There won't be another fanservice game quite like it.

Bentley
Still a pretty weird decision, now people gotta scroll through every time they wanna play as Erdrick, when I guarantee you, you'll never ever see the main skin online, it'll be Erdrick every time.

There are a lot of heroes that are popular besides Elrick. Every DQ game has a different protagonist. This criticism is obviously not from a DQ fan.

If you don't want to be disappointed by Smash games just don't play them.

Jmanghan
Minecraft's owned by Microsoft still, dude. Are you not aware Minecraft has crossplay between Nintendo Switch and Xbox One?

Jmanghan
I could really see it going either way as far as a fighter pass 2 or just there being anymore DLC characters at all after the initial fighter pass, but with how people (myself included) don't like how far out they spread these DLC character reveals and releases (Joker was revealed too early in hindsight with how long it took to release him), I can see DLC character sales having diminishing returns eventually, depending on how long they were to drag it out.

That said, I can live with just 5 extra characters or so, and regardless of the amount there's always going to be some major/notable character still not in by the end that some are going to be disappointed with not having. That's just the kind of juggernaut Smash is now, but it's still amazing Ultimate has gone to the lengths that it has with adding characters who were previously seen as impossible. There won't be another fanservice game quite like it.

I think extra characters is good for something like Smash 4, but with how high they raised the bar I feel its a straight up bad decision to not have more then 5.

Jmanghan
There are a lot of heroes that are popular besides Elrick. Every DQ game has a different protagonist. This criticism is obviously not from a DQ fan.

If you don't want to be disappointed by Smash games just don't play them. Erdrick is the most famous hero in the entire DQ series by leaps and bounds, whereas in FF at least secondary characters like Lightning and Squall can be at least slightly compared to Cloud in terms of popularity (not exactly in terms of likability), but DQ is a whole different ball game. I can confidently say Erdrick and even the Descendant of Erdrick are by far the most popular characters and it isn't. even. close.

Bro SMASH
So does that mean you're (heh) finally raring to try this game out at some point in addition to Simon Belmont and the other stuff?

Yeah, I might do that some time later. I've always preferred DQ rep over a FF and Persona rep and felt that Banjo's appearance was long overdue.

But I still need to see who the rest of the DLC characters are first.

Inhuman
I just want Waluigi, Midna and Skull Kid

Dramatic Gecko
Steve would be an underwhelming addition to the roster tbh. Especially after the juggernauts that just rocked in. I know fitness trainer and game and watch prove nintendo doesn't mind generic 'nobody' characters but steve brings a degree of monotone that leaves the palate wanting. A Minecraft stage would be fun though... but so would a tetris stage. Also could the skrulls in the back row stop calling for Goku.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
Steve would be an underwhelming addition to the roster tbh. Especially after the juggernauts that just rocked in. I know fitness trainer and game and watch prove nintendo doesn't mind generic 'nobody' characters but steve brings a degree of monotone that leaves the palate wanting. A Minecraft stage would be fun though... but so would a tetris stage. Also could the skrulls in the back row stop calling for Goku. How is he not a juggernaut of gaming? New characters made it in.

He's from the best-selling game series of all time.

He alone could very well bump the sales way up.

Dramatic Gecko
How is he not a juggernaut of gaming? New characters made it in.

Minecraft is a great game. Is Steve a great character? Is Steve even a character? He's a nobody.

Edit: Also Tetris is the best-selling game series of all time. Should we add the Line Block?

Bro SMASH
I don't think "nobody" is the word you mean. Maybe avatar?

Dramatic Gecko
I don't think "nobody" is the word you mean. Maybe avatar?

Yeah he is an avatar too. But so are Robin and Corrin. Steve is kinda more of a vessel... or an empty husk. stick out tongue

KCJ506
Banjo-Kazooie finally making it into Smash is the most respect they've gotten in like a decade in a half.

Nemesis X
Besides, if anyone should really represent Minecraft, it's the monsters. Make the cube that spawns them the fighter to switch between different things like Endermen, Creeper, Spider, etc. like Pokemon Trainer does with Charizard and Ivysaur. I'm just saying it's the best choice by far and not Steve if Minecraft was still on the table.

How is he not a juggernaut of gaming? New characters made it in.

I don't get your beef with who the default Dragon rep is. So you have to scroll for Erdrick. You saying he shouldn't be playable at all then? Bruh.

Jmanghan
Minecraft is a great game. Is Steve a great character? Is Steve even a character? He's a nobody.

Edit: Also Tetris is the best-selling game series of all time. Should we add the Line Block? It is not.

Tetris was, it no longer is. The difference being that Steve is an actual character that people recognize and know. He's the protagonist of minecraft.

People don't need character development, in my opinion, to be likable.

Think about how many characters you know that have absolutely no character development.

Bentley
Erdrick is the most famous hero in the entire DQ series by leaps and bounds, whereas in FF at least secondary characters like Lightning and Squall can be at least slightly compared to Cloud in terms of popularity (not exactly in terms of likability), but DQ is a whole different ball game. I can confidently say Erdrick and even the Descendant of Erdrick are by far the most popular characters and it isn't. even. close.

Again, perceived popularity is a weird way to dictate which skin is the default. Putting the protagonist of the Latest Entry (which is a pretty awesome game) makes sense from a marketing perspective and it's an objective standard. No one is surprised Link sports his Breath of the Wild look despite Ocarina of Time Link having "the most popular look".

Again, I'm surprised people are even complaining about this. Lot's of other DQ heroes are beloved by the fanbase.

Dramatic Gecko
Look people who say Steve or Sora immediately get on my nerves (but so did Cloud and look anything can happen).

And don't get me started on the Goku crowd. He's not even a video game character he just has video games. Its like asking for Jake Sully from Avatar.

The Genos and Waluigi crowd will probably be left out to dry, but the Waluigi crowd has better odds as he's in the main Mario ensemble. (but he an assist so that reduces his chances to about 0).

Crono? Well maybe. They love sword fighters and he is a legacy character from the SNES.

Tails I think wouldn't be too outlandish and would make someONE happy I'm sure.

People asking for Master Chief... just stop.

BUT WE REALLY NEED IS MORE MUTHA F@KCING FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS! Bring ME hECtoR!

Jmanghan
Look people who say Steve or Sora immediately get on my nerves (but so did Cloud and look anything can happen).

And don't get me started on the Goku crowd. He's not even a video game character he just has video games. Its like asking for Jake Sully from Avatar.

The Genos and Waluigi crowd will probably be left out to dry, but the Waluigi crowd has better odds as he's in the main Mario ensemble. (but he an assist so that reduces his chances to about 0).

Crono? Well maybe. They love sword fighters and he is a legacy character from the SNES.

Tails I think wouldn't be too outlandish and would make someONE happy I'm sure.

People asking for Master Chief... just stop.

BUT WE REALLY NEED IS MORE MUTHA F@KCING FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS! Bring ME hECtoR! Anyone from any series could come to Smash at this point, assuming they're from a video game, and said video game is huge.

deft
I hope see to Crash or Geno

Bro SMASH
I hope to see Ryu Hayabusa.

Nemesis X
Byleth in Smash. The 5th challenger could've been a Nintendog and I don't think many would've been as livid with that choice compared to another Fire Emblem character. Man is the internet going berserk.

Ridley_Prime
As it is, Banjo and Terry Bogard were the MVP's of the initial fighter pass for me. Fire Emblem representation in Smash is always going to be divisive, but another promotional character is small potatoes when we've got a 2nd fighter pass and thus a whole season 2 of DLC on our hands.

cdtm
Anyone from any series could come to Smash at this point, assuming they're from a video game, and said video game is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30WRG1nPao&list=PL9Ab1GbPQd2mukElFgugf-iBQiHMk-svu&index=3&t=0s

I want to see Crash.

Granted I would never, ever buy one of these games, but I just want to see it.

Nemesis X
So guys. Vault Boy from Fallout is in Smash as a Mii costume. With how much we've talked about Fallout in the past, surprised this wasn't mentioned yet.

CLooeMzrE34

And here's the new fighter.

dKR_w6C5A5k

Jmanghan
Byleth in Smash. The 5th challenger could've been a Nintendog and I don't think many would've been as livid with that choice compared to another Fire Emblem character. Man is the internet going berserk. Rather a Nintendog or Byleth then a ****ing Pirahna Plant.

MooCowofJustice
The only real choice for another 3rd party character is Tomba.

Bro SMASH
So guys. Vault Boy from Fallout is in Smash as a Mii costume. With how much we've talked about Fallout in the past, surprised this wasn't mentioned yet.

CLooeMzrE34

And here's the new fighter.

dKR_w6C5A5k

Bethesda content in Smash.

I knew what that was going to lead to.

Still, at this point, Ryu Hayabusa, one of the last icons from the NES era, is my most wanted character for this game.

Jmanghan
So, Steve made it in a bit ago...

_Sp5o1JJdDk

Thoughts?

Tzeentch
*ahem*

**** little mac and **** little mac abusers.

This is a thread dedicated to throwing shade at the ultimate scrub character in Smash. In any other game this loser would be considered a joke character- not even pickable outside of 4 player FFA smash.
Le invincible frame data man
Le super armor on everything man
Le one-punch man press ftilt to win man

Oh but wait he has bad recovery so that makes him """""f-tier""""" because we all know there aren't like 50 stages in the game that have walls instead of ledges!

The fact that his air game is garbage is even more proof of how poorly designed piss this character is. He is the definitive scrub character. He is cheese incarnate. A character who absolutely, no-fun-allowed dominates one aspect of the game while dying instantly if he gets knocked off stage at 50% has no place on a fighting game.

Press F to spit on this man.

cdtm
Smash's success is proof there's a sucker born every minute. laughing out loud

Nemesis X
No way it's gonna be Steve when each DLC is looking to be representing a different company.

That post didn't age well did it? lol

ares834
Thoughts?

Absolute garbage. I'd rather have another FE rep than Steve.

Ridley_Prime
Steve I was whatever on, but Tracer is the only 3rd party addition that would honestly make me tilted at this point. Supporters of the FPS icons (Master Chief, Doomguy, etc) and Crash (because Activision) would be collectively pissed.

If Sakurai approached Activision at all though (or vice-versa), I think it would've had to be for Crash, not Overwatch.

Nemesis X
I was surprised it was Steve but eh, I welcomed it. He's actually alright once you get used to his resource managing mechanic. Now if it was Fortnite, I would've definitely cringed.

Jmanghan
Absolute garbage. I'd rather have another FE rep than Steve. That's a pretty edgy opinion there, mate.

Bro SMASH
Minecraft has been on Nintendo consoles and it has Mario content in it. I don't see anything wrong with Steve in Smash.

Jmanghan
Minecraft has been on Nintendo consoles and it has Mario content in it. I don't see anything wrong with Steve in Smash. Agreed. Plus, having the most well-sold game of all time heavily represented certainly won't hurt sales.

cdtm
Smash Ultimate, aka Shark Jumper 3000.

Nemesis X
DUUUUUUDES!

CQIb8H5O1zs

ares834
WTF! No way. I was expecting someone shitty like Fortenite dude. What an awesome surprise.

Edit: Looking forward to all the bitching about another "anime swordsman".

Jmanghan
WHAT THE ****?!

AREFVKJLLKFCD

WHO SEPHIESAS

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Ridley_Prime
https://i.imgur.com/wacdG2a.png

Pretty badass, yeah.

cdtm
I would use a different word.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>