Most disturbing content in films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage

steverules_2
To this day the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a film was in a movie called the girl next door (no not the Elisha Curthbert film), wasn't a controversial film at all. Basically through out the film a teenage girl is tortured by her very religous aunt and her sons, that was disturbing enough...BUT then came a part in the film that to this day stops me watching it. The aunt takes a blow torch to the teenage girls vagina, you don't see the damage the blow torch does but you do see it happening.

Stephen King said about the film, "The first authentically shocking American film I've seen since Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer over 20 years ago. If you are easily disturbed, you should not watch this movie. If, on the other hand, you are prepared for a long look into hell, suburban style, The Girl Next Door will not disappoint. This is the dark-side-of-the-moon version of Stand by Me."

Robtard
Irreversible (2002) is pretty f*cked up; not something I'd watch again

Impediment
Salo
Audition
Grotesque

jaden101
It's hard to find movie content controversial or disturbing after you've seen real Mexican cartel videos of guys being skinned alive and young kids getting their limbs and heads cut off. Or ISIS slow motion videos of people getting shot in the faces with shotguns or burned alive.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by steverules_2
To this day the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a film was in a movie called the girl next door (no not the Elisha Curthbert film), wasn't a controversial film at all. Basically through out the film a teenage girl is tortured by her very religous aunt and her sons, that was disturbing enough...BUT then came a part in the film that to this day stops me watching it. The aunt takes a blow torch to the teenage girls vagina, you don't see the damage the blow torch does but you do see it happening.

Stephen King said about the film, "The first authentically shocking American film I've seen since Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer over 20 years ago. If you are easily disturbed, you should not watch this movie. If, on the other hand, you are prepared for a long look into hell, suburban style, The Girl Next Door will not disappoint. This is the dark-side-of-the-moon version of Stand by Me."

Most disturbing thing about this movie is that it was (loosely) based on a true story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Sylvia_Likens

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
It's hard to find movie content controversial or disturbing after you've seen real Mexican cartel videos of guys being skinned alive and young kids getting their limbs and heads cut off. Or ISIS slow motion videos of people getting shot in the faces with shotguns or burned alive.

Something I simply won't watch, especially violence to do with children.

Still recall way back when I was new and naive to the internet I watched the video of the Soviet soldier having his throat slowly cut and then left to bleed out by the Taliban. I thought it was fake/SFX at first and then realized that shit was real. Wish I could un-see that.

steverules_2
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Most disturbing thing about this movie is that it was (loosely) based on a true story.

Yup I know, Ellen Paige was in the movie that was properly based on it

Robtard
Originally posted by Nibedicus

****ing hell. Always a bit shocked and amazed with stories like this, where it's clear lots of people knew but still it continued to happen.

jaden101
Originally posted by Robtard
Something I simply won't watch, especially violence to do with children.

Still recall way back when I was new and naive to the internet I watched the video of the Soviet soldier having his throat slowly cut and then left to bleed out by the Taliban. I thought it was fake/SFX at first and then realized that shit was real. Wish I could un-see that.

Its so much worse now. The cartels arguably inflict the most sadistic violence. The ones of flayings are insanely disturbing. The ISIS ones have slow motion, 4k multiple angles and high production values so the gore is extremely brutal but almost feels like a movie so even though its real it feels less so than the cartel ones. There's one where they've skinned a guy's face off and his blood covered skull is screaming as they slowly cut his head off with a box cutter. He tries to shield his face but they already chopped his hands off. There's one where they peel all the skin and muscles off a guy's chest and stomach so his bowels start bulging out. He's still alive and moving when they eventually cut his rib cage open and rip his heart out.

BackFire
Nuke the cartels.

Here's a list of the most disturbing/unsettling films I've ever seen, several of which have already been mentioned.

Salo, Irreversible, Antichrist, A Serbian Film, Audition, 12 Years a Slave, Come and See, August Underground series, Cannibal Holocaust, Cutting Moments, Aftermath, Megan is Missing, Happiness, Several movies in the Guinea Pig series - A Flower of Flesh and blood, Devil's Experiment and Mermaid in the Manhole - Martyrs, Freaks, Men Behind the Sun, Man Bites Dog, Visitor Q and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer,

jaden101
Originally posted by BackFire
Nuke the cartels.

Here's a list of the most disturbing/unsettling films I've ever seen, several of which have already been mentioned.

Salo, Irreversible, Antichrist, A Serbian Film, Audition, 12 Years a Slave, Come and See, August Underground series, Cannibal Holocaust, Cutting Moments, Aftermath, Megan is Missing, Happiness, Several movies in the Guinea Pig series - A Flower of Flesh and blood, Devil's Experiment and Mermaid in the Manhole - Martyrs, Freaks, Men Behind the Sun, Man Bites Dog, Visitor Q and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer,

Ever seen Grotesque?

BackFire
I don't believe so. Should I?

jaden101
Hilarious Japanese torture movie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grotesque_(2009_film)

BackFire
Downloading now.

BackFire
Oh I forgot to mention Bone Tomahawk. There's one scene in that that's really shocking and horrific. Overall solid movie, too.

jaden101
Yeah that Bone Tomahawk scene was awesome.

steverules_2
Oh I forgot to mention Bone Tomahawk. There's one scene in that that's really shocking and horrific. Overall solid movie, too.

You mean the guy who gets scalped and cut in half right down the middle?

BackFire
Well, I didn't want to spoil the magnificence of the scene, but yes.

steverules_2
Doesn't spoil it at all IMO, I watched it just cause I knew that scene was in there and didn't take away from it at all

I'd post the scene if I could, it's on youtube, but this site has a rating

Impediment

Happiness is both disturbing and hilarious. The ending scene on the balcony! laughing out loud

Cannibal Holocaust is classic. Green Inferno was a let down.

12 Years a Slave was difficult to watch, but with brilliant acting.

The fire extinguisher scene from Irreversible was great. The 10 minute rape scene was disgusting.

Henry is just magnificent. A wonderful piece of horror.

BackFire
I find the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible really unsettling. It kinda makes me feel nauseous when I watch it. But it's incredibly well done.

Esau Cairn
What was so disturbing about A Serbian Film?

I found it slow & boring that I ended up fast forwarding thru most of it & didn't find anything shocking.

The baby scene was just too funny to be taken seriously.

Josh_Alexander
Disturbing....I think the whole Final Destination saga is disturbing to me.

I would also vote for Saw, the movie is pretty disturbing.

Surtur

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
Its so much worse now. The cartels arguably inflict the most sadistic violence. The ones of flayings are insanely disturbing. The ISIS ones have slow motion, 4k multiple angles and high production values so the gore is extremely brutal but almost feels like a movie so even though its real it feels less so than the cartel ones. There's one where they've skinned a guy's face off and his blood covered skull is screaming as they slowly cut his head off with a box cutter. He tries to shield his face but they already chopped his hands off. There's one where they peel all the skin and muscles off a guy's chest and stomach so his bowels start bulging out. He's still alive and moving when they eventually cut his rib cage open and rip his heart out.

The f**king f**k, man

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Robtard
The f**king f**k, man

I work in a prison, and one of the first days of on-the-job training, the group of new employees sat down in the special investigations office. The staff in there showed us varying videos that have to do with some of the gangs in the prison. This particular video had to do with a cartel, as a good portion of the prison's population is Hispanic/Latino and has some ties here and there with said cartels. A co-worker of mine (who I worked with at a previous job) and I are the only two that don't watch.

Fast forward around 4 years later. I'm in the office with one of my newer coworkers, and we're discussing various terrorist groups throughout the world. He then finds a website that has - guess what - that same cartel video. I tell him that it sounds familiar, watch it, then I tell him that I avoided watching it four years earlier when I started at the joint.

It was one of the two most gruesome things I have ever seen, and I do wish I would not have seen it. The other he sprang on me too: ISIS video.

TheVaultDweller
Damn, those cartel vids sound very similar to some of the torture/snuff shit on the dark net that I've read/heard about. Though in the case of the dark net, a lot of it is done just so that sick f**** can get their jollies while watching. Like the one site I have heard about from multiple sources, which supposedly basically involves women in high heels stepping on small animals (like rabbits, kittens etc.) to crush them to death, while trying to sexualise the experience. I can't even imagine what kind of warped mindset someone would need to have to find something like that appealing.

John Murdoch
To bring this thread back to the world of fiction, shall I say a more mainstream scene: "Goodbye Horses" from Silence of the Lambs with ol' Buffalo Bill?

Also, a PG-13 level of disturbing scene: the sheep herd over the cliff from the 2015 film version of Thomas Hardy's novel Far From the Madding Crowd.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.