Thoughts?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
The Emperor unleashed three more bolts in quick succession. Revan batted the first aside with his lightsaber, ducked the second, then deflected the third back in the direction of its source.

Re-reading the passage, I noticed that Revan may have deflected the attack via Force deflection rather than his lightsaber. Notice the text specifically mentions "with his lightsaber" in the first instance, and Drew commonly writes "with a lightsaber" in the instance a lightsaber deflects an attack:

Example 1: "Meetra deflected the bolts with her lightsaber."

Example 2: "Bane deflected the incoming bolts with two-handed parries of his lightsaber."

Example 3: "At the last second he deflected it with his lightsaber."

Example 4: "He angled his lightsaber so that they deflected straight back toward their point of origin."

Example 5: "A pair of quick flicks with his lightsaber deflected the bolts from the other two harmlessly off to either side."

Thoughts?

Zenwolf
Why would it need to be stated twice that it was by his lightsaber? That would just be redundant for the same sentence.

Deronn_solo
I think mentioning "lightsaber" again, within the same sentence, would have been a bit redundant when the intent is quite obvious.

Edit: ninja'd.

Azronger
It doesn't say "lightsaber," becaude it'd be redundant to mention the word twice in the same sentence. "Revan batted the first aside with his lightsaber, ducked the second, then deflected the third with his lightsaber back in the direction of its source." sounds pretty stupid.

And I'm pretty sure your own logic can be reversed back at you. I bet one could find several instances of Karpyshyn saying "with the Force" to describe actions, so given its absence here, your own logic would dictate Revan did not deflect it with tutaminis.

LordOfTheLight
In any case, how would this change anything?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
In any case, how would this change anything?
Was undecided what I should put it under in my new RT.

Haschwalth
TBH, it should be completely within Revan's capabilities, no matter if he did or didn't in this certain case.

Haschwalth
Anyway I'd argue Nyriss's Charged lightning that Revan casually absorbed/reflected, would pack more punch than a single one of Vitiate's bolts. That was capable of being deflected by a lightsaber.

So it doesn't really matter tbh.

Freedon Nadd
Revan is a lot more powerful than the PT fascists give him credit for.

Galan007
I agree with the others.

All context considered, Revan seemed to deflect the third salvo of lightning with his lightsaber.

Freedon Nadd
Of all words Drew used was 'deflect', why? He could have easily written 'repelled' or 'bounced back'. Ant might be right. Notice that it says: "(...)then(...)" instead of "(...)and(...)"

-'and' would express the same action that is continued
-'then' represents a change in the action

FreshestSlice
That's retarded.

Anyway, as I already said, it's not out of the question that Revan deflected the bolt back with his hands. It doesn't change anything about the scene.

Trocity
Looking at the examples of him always specifyjng the lightsaber, would he not have specified "used the Force to" or some variation as well?

SheGotHerOwn
why are we trying to figure out what drew meant, when he prolly didnt even know himself?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by SheGotHerOwn
why are we trying to figure out what drew meant, when he prolly didnt even know himself?
The correct answer. ^

The Ellimist
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IdenticalClumsyAmericanwarmblood-max-1mb.gif

darthbane77
The quote specifies how Revan handled each bolt of lightning individually. He did it with his lightsaber the first time, he ducked the second time, he deflected the third, Drew's mentioning of specific methods of dealing with the individual bolts implies the third was not deflected by a lightsaber.

Freedon Nadd
It also mentions: "(...) back to its source."

That's what you do when you use Force deflection.

Trocity
lol

Freedon Nadd
Are you done?

Deronn_solo
Originally posted by darthbane77
The quote specifies how Revan handled each bolt of lightning individually. He did it with his lightsaber the first time, he ducked the second time, he deflected the third, Drew's mentioning of specific methods of dealing with the individual bolts implies the third was not deflected by a lightsaber.

Following that brand of logic -- which you are, Drew would have specified Revan using the Force to deflect the lightning bolt too, since he's being specific and all.

Mendax
blocked it with a saber.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Following that brand of logic -- which you are, Drew would have specified Revan using the Force to deflect the lightning bolt too, since he's being specific and all.

That would be true, but in that description: You have "then" not "and". It also mentions it went back to its source.

darthbane77
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Following that brand of logic -- which you are, Drew would have specified Revan using the Force to deflect the lightning bolt too, since he's being specific and all. Sure, so it could be taken wither way, but given that Drew didn't specifically mention his saber again, I took it as meaning deflection with the Force. Of course, the idea that Revan did use his saber to do it isn't ludicrous or anything.

Maybe I'll e-mail Drew and see what he meant, though I assume he'll give me yet another of his famous non-answers.

NewGuy01
please do not bother that poor man with this shit

FreshestSlice
He just quit his job, so he has plenty of time on his hands.

darthbane77
Originally posted by NewGuy01
please do not bother that poor man with this shit I probably won't, though I considered it. Drew doesn't seem to like answering questions very much.

SunRazer
You'd be wasting your time, his, and ours.

darthbane77
Originally posted by SunRazer
You'd be wasting your time, his, and ours. Originally posted by darthbane77
I probably won't, though I considered it. Drew doesn't seem to like answering questions very much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.