Polling KMC (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
I.

Situation: The Star Wars Legends Encyclopedia, a final overview of all characters and events from the Legends continuity, has just been released in 2018. On page 183, it states, "Darth Bandon was the most powerful Sith Lord in history, with a command of and connection to the Force outstripping even that of the reborn Palpatine."

Question: Do you dismiss this quote as false, or do you take it as a direct retcon and place Darth Bandon above reborn Palpatine? If you ignore it, why? If you accept it, are characters like Darth Malak, Darth Revan, and Valkorion likewise scaled above Palpatine, or are they still beholden below him?

---

II.

Situation: Azronger finds a quote from 2014 stating, "The reborn Palpatine is the most powerful Sith Lord in the Legends continuity, with a command of and connection to the Force outstripping any other Sith." However, in the next The Old Republic update, BioWare releases a new character named Darth Sith Lord Badguy. The character is apart of the Sith Order and fully identifies with Sith ideology. In a stunning display, Darth Sith Lord Badguy raises his hand and half of all life in the galaxy vanishes. It is explicitly stated that this is done without any preparation or ritual, but rather is an applicable demonstration of Darth Sith Lord Badguy's Force powers.

Question: Is reborn Palpatine more powerful than Darth Sith Lord Badguy?

JKBart
1: I accept the quote and decide that Bandon failing was due to being gangbanged by Revan+2 other guys and on his own he is > Revan > Malak etc.

2: I accept Lord Badguy's superiority and place him after The Ones, Bedlam Spirits, Abeloth and Yuuzhan'tar.

darthbane77
1: Feats say otherwise. Raise Bandon considerably, but the idea he's above a majority of the powerful Sith in Legends is idiotic.

2: As said above, feats>accolades, Darth Sithlord Badguy takes the title.

Selenial
1. Accept the quote. Logical conclusion however, due to a myriad of factors, is that Bandon's death at the hands of Revan and co would not be a result of Revan's superiority but other factors. Revan and co therefore wouldn't scale off him.

2. In that case, probably, yeh, Badguy > Palpatine. A level of nuance is required when discussing feats and accolades. A feat that ridiculous is evidently an intended retcon of Palpatine's superiority. Things within Palpatine's ballpark however are not the same.

Nephthys
1. I wouldn't accept the quote.

2. Eccoing that feats > accolades and Badguy would be clearly the strongest being in SW.

ILS
1. All hail Bandon.

2. Sidious can consume all of space, not really impressed. Nice find tho Ant thumb up

The Ellimist
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Question: Do you dismiss this quote as false,

Probably. It's overridden by an overwhelming amount of evidence, including direct statements to the contrary. That this encyclopedia came out later and is "final" adds credibility but doesn't make it infallible.

No, as the narrative disconnect is great enough to warrant a violation of those accolades, unless if someone can come up with a convincing rationalization (like maybe Badguy has some specific Force power that, while a result of his raw abilities, does not suggest that his other generic powers are above Palpatine's).

This is also pretty easy given that "Legends continuity" is an OOU statement that would lend credence to only caring about things published by that time in OOU chronology.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by ILS
1. All hail Bandon.

2. Sidious can consume all of space, not really impressed. Nice find tho Ant thumb up

Sidious doesn't consume space. His Force storms do. And they are independ-ant of his power omcr they are completely unleashed upon a target.

ILS
Wrong, shut up

ares834
1. No.
2. No, I would consider Darth Badguy to be the most powerful Sith Lord ever in that case. I ignore it like I do all of TOR.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by ILS
Wrong, shut up

Got triggered, Sheevonist?

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by ares834
1. No.
2. No, I would consider Darth Badguy to be the most powerful Sith Lord ever in that case. I ignore it like I do all of TOR.

To be honest this response is like: I don't like it. I ignore it.

FreshestSlice
Yes, that is how fiction works.

Anyway, my opinion on these things haven't changed.

Trocity
Freedumb madd is such a loser.

Zentrex
I. I'll accept it as part of the legal "canon", but not my head canon

II. It'd be really stupid, obviously, but it's fiction, and the creator intended badguy to be more powerful, so he is more powerful.

I don't know why people care so much what is "canon" and "properly legends (G-Canon, T-Canon, C-Canon, etc.)". They're legal terms which identify what the authors can do, but hell, who cares? Stories are inherently interpretive. You can believe whatever you want, it's is the nature of fictional works! So I don't care what they deem legally, I will always accept my "star wars" to be what I choose it to be. Which is not restricted to one thing, honestly. Several continuities of how it went down exist in my head, as long as I like them.

If anything which I REALLY dislike ever comes out (like Darth Sith Lord Badguy), I'm just going to stay out of any discussion which talks about it. As far as I'm concerned, this doesn't exist. As for the Darth Bandon quote, I won't completely pretend it doesn't exist, and I may have to accept it, but I'll mostly stick to discussions which include the disclaimer "Darth Bandon is excluded from this discussion" at the top.

Azronger
1. Do those characters have a cap? Like if they at max power struggle with something Palpatine doesn't, then the quote is simply false.

2. All of space is my salvation. If that didn't exist, though, yeah I'd place Darth Sith Lord Badguy above Palpatine

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Trocity
Freedumb madd is such a loser.

What's up!? Do you need another verbal punishment? You enjoy verbal pain? Are you masochist or just gay?

Sinious
@Elm thumb up

Haschwalth
1. Dismiss the quote,obviously unless it was from George Lucas's own mouth.
2. Sith Lord Badguy, annihilates Palpatine.(unless Palpatine was mentioned to be stronger than badguy, referenced directly, from an out of universe quote.

It's common sense people.

Freedon Nadd
EU doesn't care about what GL says(except the stories which take place within the movies' timeframe)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.