What if Tarkin and Thrawn stuck around...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mendax
Lets say Tharawn didn't go on a cruise with Ezra at the end of Rebels, and Tarkin survived the Death Star's destruction. Could that have potentially changed the course of events? Would the Rebels still have won?

Galan007
Probably. I mean, the Empire's remaining cadre of leadership was pretty inept for the most part, tbh.

Had two of the most brilliant leaders/tacticians in the franchise still been present to help guide the course of the Empire after ANH, it is entirely possible that the series of events that led to the Empire's downfall could have been altered.

One significant change would have been the TIE Defender project. It would have been fully realized had Thrawn not gone MIA... And frankly, I think it would've been substantially more valuable to the Empire than the Death Star(s) ever were overall. /shrug

Zentrex
The rebels would have won. The empire's fall was entirely because Sidious' shatterpoint in Vader. He trusted that nothing oculd turn him, and thus made everything dependant on that. When Vader was turned, nothing could be done. The emperor would die, and the empire with him.

Galan007
From an outside perspective, yes. The films were always going to end how they were going to end: the good guys win.

But from an in-universe point of view, the presence of these two figureheads could have significantly altered the course of events, imo. Personally, I think Thrawn's fully realized TIE/D project could have been a game-changer on its own. After all, Thrawn had full working knowledge of the Death Star and its destructive capabilities, yet still favored the TIE/D project in terms of overall effectiveness(as did Tarkin and Palpatine, it seems.) So yeah.

Freedon Nadd
Man, I purely have a hate/love thing for your Thrawn obsession.

Mendax
Originally posted by Galan007
After all, Thrawn had full working knowledge of the Death Star and its destructive capabilities, He did?

i'm sure Thrawn knew about the DS, but I don't see how he could have known what it was capable of? It didnt even seem like Tarkin knew that.

Galan007
Originally posted by Mendax
He did?

i'm sure Thrawn knew about the DS, but I don't see how he could have known what it was capable of? It didnt even seem like Tarkin knew that. He did.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Mendax
Lets say Tharawn didn't go on a cruise with Ezra at the end of Rebels, and Tarkin survived the Death Star's destruction. Could that have potentially changed the course of events? Would the Rebels still have won? If Tarkin would have survived the Death Star's destruction he would have been one of the most durable beings in the mythos.

Freedon Nadd
Tharawn laughing out loud

Zentrex
Originally posted by Galan007
From an outside perspective, yes. The films were always going to end how they were going to end: the good guys win.

But from an in-universe point of view, the presence of these two figureheads could have significantly altered the course of events, imo. Personally, I think Thrawn's fully realized TIE/D project could have been a game-changer on its own. After all, Thrawn had full working knowledge of the Death Star and its destructive capabilities, yet still favored the TIE/D project in terms of overall effectiveness(as did Tarkin and Palpatine, it seems.) So yeah.
Probably, but I still think the emperor would have died, and since he'd built the entire empire to be so centered around him, there's really not many who could have survived the power vaccum. Thrawn and Tarkin may have been able to change the history of the empire AFTER the Emperor's death but even Thrawn (who's not really as smart as he was in legends) and Tarkin (who's totally replaced how smart Thrawn was by his appearance in Tarkin and Lost Stars) wouldn't have been able to save the Empire.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zentrex
but even Thrawn (who's not really as smart as he was in legends) Hm. Before I ask you to elaborate, I need to know if you have at least read the Thrawn novelization and watched all pertinent episodes of Rebels?

If you have, I am genuinely curious why you would think canon Thrawn is inferior to Legends Thrawn..? As someone who has read ALL things Thrawn(I'm talking canon, Legends, Sourcebooks, Guides, Insider articles, etc. etc.) I can honestly say that I wholly disagree with you here, but I'm curious to hear your opinion nonetheless.

Zentrex
Yeah, no, I haven't read the thrawn novel or watched the rebels episodes. I just knew that there was no "heir to the Empire". I guess is Thrawn is the same force he was in Legends, then your point may be more valid than I previously gave it credit for.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.