Why didn't the Empire mass produce Death Stars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mendax
Instead of making just one, why didn't they just make several Death Stars?

I mean, if 1 is "ultimate", just imagine how 10...or 20...or 50 Death Star's floating around could boost the Empire. eek!

The Merchant
Expensive. 100 trillion credits. Though it's feasible. Using the 900 km in diameter size for the 2nd Death Star they could have made over 180 DS 1s instead.

Though, a smarter idea would be to install Superlasers on Star Destroyers, Battlecruisers, and dreadnaughts. An Imp Star equipped with one can crack a.continent in half or destroy a 200 km in diameter Moon. Using the gravity of 7 Iris and using SD dot nets planetary parameter calculator, the yield of said superlaser would be roughly 25 teratons of tnt.

That firepower one shots cruisers and possibly gets past planetary shields.

JKBart
Death Star wasn't the ultimate military achievement, more of a terror weapon against the rebels. Death Star isn't really your fleet equivalent, it has completely different set of perks than a starfleet. It's the unstoppable, indestructible superstation that can blow up entire planet, make entire worlds shake in terror, it can move throughout the galaxy unchallenged and destroy planet after planet. But it's not a starfleet that can be divided across many places to defend, it's not a mobile force to be deployed at various strategic objects. Sure, you can create 50 of them, but having just 50 places secured in Empire-wide galaxy is just not enough, and with the resources needed, you can construct hundreds of star destroyers with thousands accompanying smaller vessels and starfighters. It's more viable for something as large as the Empire.

And you really only need one indestructible super-station obliterating planets, you don't need to have few of them destroying 3 planets at once, you can just take your time and destroy them with one Death Star in a month, and spend the rest of resources to create giant fleets capable of defending hundreds of star systems, give chase over the rebel squadrons, etc.

Kurk
I remember when Obama had to respond to the whitehouse.gov petition demanding for the US government to build a deathstar lol.

The Ellimist
They planned to in Legends, per the Death Star novel.

ares834
Originally posted by JKBart
Death Star wasn't the ultimate military achievement, more of a terror weapon against the rebels. Death Star isn't really your fleet equivalent, it has completely different set of perks than a starfleet. It's the unstoppable, indestructible superstation that can blow up entire planet, make entire worlds shake in terror, it can move throughout the galaxy unchallenged and destroy planet after planet. But it's not a starfleet that can be divided across many places to defend, it's not a mobile force to be deployed at various strategic objects. Sure, you can create 50 of them, but having just 50 places secured in Empire-wide galaxy is just not enough, and with the resources needed, you can construct hundreds of star destroyers with thousands accompanying smaller vessels and starfighters. It's more viable for something as large as the Empire.

And you really only need one indestructible super-station obliterating planets, you don't need to have few of them destroying 3 planets at once, you can just take your time and destroy them with one Death Star in a month, and spend the rest of resources to create giant fleets capable of defending hundreds of star systems, give chase over the rebel squadrons, etc.

thumb up

Exactly.

Freedon Nadd
Well, it's quite possible some would rebel against the Empire.

Galan007
In Legends, there is evidence to suggest that the Empire eventually planned to create additional Death Stars:

http://i.imgur.com/jUlvYjSm.jpg

Canon is a different story. Aside from the sheer cost, amount of time required to construct, and the number of support personnel/weaponry needed to properly man each station, we also know the Death Star's superlaser requires a vast swath of kyber crystals to produce its planet-busting effects... And kyber crystals aren't exactly easy to come by. Thus, true mass-production of the weapon wouldn't have been feasible.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Galan007

Canon is a different story. Aside from the sheer cost, amount of time required to construct, and the number of support personnel/weaponry needed to properly man each station, we also know the Death Star's superlaser requires a vast swath of kyber crystals to produce its planet-busting effects... And kyber crystals aren't exactly easy to come by. Thus, true mass-production of the weapon wouldn't have been feasible.

Then also in Canon the Empire only has millions of troops(don't see how this works). Among other things that clearly don't add up given the setting.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Then also in Canon the Empire only has millions of troops(don't see how this works). Among other things that clearly don't add up given the setting. Per Uprising(which is canon) the Empire possessed over 25,000 Imperial-class Star Destroyers at its peak:
https://i.imgur.com/XxJNuqn.jpg

And there were upwards of 45,000 military personnel assigned to each ISD:
https://i.imgur.com/YagnjCm.jpg

...Which means the Empire had a total of over 1.1 billion military personnel(~230 million of which were Storm Troopers) allocated to *just* their Imperial-class Star Destroyers.

Keep in mind: that doesn't include the number of personnel assigned to the vast array of other types of military vessels the Empire controlled at its peak; nor does it factor in the sheer number of troops that may have been deployed to the thousandS of individual systems controlled by the Empire.

tl;dr
In canon, there would be several obstacles the Empire would face in trying to create multiple Death Stars -- but I don't think a lack of personnel would be one of them. /shrug

Zenwolf
Per Uprising(which is canon) the Empire possessed over 25,000 Imperial-class Star Destroyers at its peak:
https://i.imgur.com/XxJNuqn.jpg

And there were upwards of 45,000 military personnel assigned to each ISD:
https://i.imgur.com/YagnjCm.jpg

...Which means the Empire had a total of over 1.1 billion military personnel(~230 million of which were Storm Troopers) allocated to *just* their Imperial-class Star Destroyers.

Keep in mind: that doesn't include the number of personnel assigned to the vast array of other types of military vessels the Empire controlled at its peak; nor does it factor in the sheer number of troops that may have been deployed to the thousandS of individual systems controlled by the Empire.

tl;dr
In canon, there would be several obstacles the Empire would face in trying to create multiple Death Stars -- but I don't think a lack of personnel would be one of them. /shrug

As per the Lando comic series, also Canon, it's said that they only have millions of troops with no specific area of where they are, just in general..

Just millions of troops, not taking into account other personnel.

Millions of troops, just doesn't seem right given the setting. Though then again, I think the Galaxy shrunk in Canon with only having 3.2 million habitable systems compared to Legends 3.2 billion.

Unless that has changed, but with everything being Canon to eachother..../shrug.

But I'm not exactly following the New Canon as close as Legends.

Rockydonovang
did it say only millions?

Coz calling 5 zillion troops "millions" is technically correct.

Galan007
The line is ambiguous, imo.

Korin: "Those were Imperial Guards, Lando. The Emperor's personal protectors -- handpicked from the very best of his forces. Out of millions of soldiers, they are unsurpassed.":
https://i.imgur.com/Di7cK5q.jpg
-Lando #03 (2015)

I didn't take that line as Korin saying that there were only a few-million troops in the entire Empire or whatever -- just that the Royal Guards were superior to the "millions" of top-tier soldiers/would-be candidates within the Empire(like Death Troopers, for example)... The "very best" of the Empire's best, if you will. /shrug

Regardless, Uprising was technically released after that issue of Lando, and explicitly tells us how many Imperial-class Star Destroyers the Empire possessed at its peak(over 25,000.) The Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide then tells us exactly how many military personnel were allocated to each and every one of those ISDs(over 45,000 in all.) From that, we are able to glean a very accurate tally of personnel the Empire allocated to staff said flagships.

As mentioned, it would have taken upwards of ~1.1 BILLION military personnel(with ~230 MILLION of them being actual Storm Troopers) *just* to man the cumulative fleet of ISDs. Then tack on the vast array of other types of military vessels that were manned/staffed by the Empire + however many personnel were deployed across the thousandS of systems controlled by the Empire, and we're talking about a pretty sizable force in canon.

Zenwolf

Korin: "Those were Imperial Guards, Lando. The Emperor's personal protectors -- handpicked from the very best of his forces. Out of millions of soldiers, they are unsurpassed.":
-Lando #03 (2015)

I didn't take that line as Korin saying that there were only a few-million troops in the entire Empire or whatever -- just that the Royal Guards were superior to the "millions" of top-tier soldiers/would-be candidates within the Empire(like Death Troopers, for example)... The "very best" of the Empire's best, if you will. /shrug

Regardless, Uprising was technically released after that issue of Lando, and explicitly tells us how many Imperial-class Star Destroyers the Empire possessed at its peak(over 25,000.) The Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide then tells us exactly how many military personnel were allocated to each and every one of those ISDs(over 45,000 in all.) From that, we are able to glean a very accurate tally of personnel the Empire allocated to staff said flagships.

As mentioned, it would have taken upwards of ~1.1 BILLION military personnel(with ~230 MILLION of them being actual Storm Troopers) *just* to man all of the ISDs exclusively. Them tack on thr vast array of other types of military vessels that were manned/staffed within the Empire + however many personnel were deployed across the thousandS of systems controlled by the Empire, and we're talking about a pretty sizable force.

I mean, it's pretty big I'll give it that for Canon. Though the 2 years of consumables for an ISD is pretty small imo for a crew of that size, dunno why they went with just a mere 2 years. That means shorter tour periods.

Galan007
Hyperspace capability eliminates the need to keep more consumables on hand than that(and even 2 years-worth is pushing it, imo.) If rations start getting low, all they need to do is jump to the nearest Imperial base, restock supplies, and then jump back to wherever they were.

Zenwolf
Hyperspace capability eliminates the need to keep more consumables on hand than that(and even 2 years-worth is pushing it, imo.) If rations start getting low, all they need to do is jump to the nearest Imperial base, restock supplies, and then jump back to wherever they were.

Yeah, but even still, re-stocking is far more frequent than necessary, even if hyperspace cuts down on travel.

Rockydonovang

-Lando #03 (2015)

Yeah, that would be the logical interpretation here. Not really ambiguous tbh.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Yeah, but even still, re-stocking is far more frequent than necessary, even if hyperspace cuts down on travel.
don't rations expire after a period of time? or is there some sci fi thing that keeps shit good forever

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
don't rations expire after a period of time? or is there some sci fi thing that keeps shit good forever

Hm...well I mean depending on the rations, they can last a heck of a long time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.