PUBG: Why is it so popular?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
It's already nearly surpassing Skyrim sales, a game that has been selling since 2011 and is widely regarded as one of the best and most popular RPG's of all time.

Kazenji
I don't even play it that one myself

i've been playing Forrnite and that one is same style gameplay and its free.

Nusa105
Only have played in on Mobile but watched the gameplays on the youtube.

Anyway, I think it so popular because the game mode. Besides, the game mode of the game is way to popular and i heard the rumour that every shooters will get the game mode of the game.

Tzeentch
There is no specific reason. It (and Fortnite) are lightning in a bottle. At best you can explain Fortnite with the idea that its a f2p version of PubG, making it more accessible.

Beyond that no one knows, if they did they'd have a game with the same qualities raking in the money.

cdtm
Least Fortnite is free. Pubg is pretty expensive on Steam.

Arachnid1
It's damn fun with a squad of friends, and a simple/even playing field in theory. No one spawns in with better weapons and attachments so it's accessible for anyone. Those are the main reasons I think.

Jmanghan
But for it to be so popular so quickly as to nearly outsell ****ing SKYRIM in less then a year?...

Including all re-releases, special editions of Skyrim, whereas PUBG is only available on steam...

Jesus man.

cdtm
That probably says more about Steams community.

I'd bet more people played Skyrim on consoles.

Skyrim isn't Minecraft. I'd bet games like Realm of the Mad God are in more Steam profiles then Skyrim.

Diablo 3 is probably a bigger PC niche.

cdtm
I take it back, it's catching up to Super Brick Nation the way it's going.

So I dunno. Must be some reason people are buying it.

Maybe there's some way of gaming the system? Everyone knows the belief that "everyones doing it" leads to everyone doing it, so can imagine someone, somewhere, figured out how to sell the lie until it became truth.

Smasandian
It's something new-ish.

It's not really hard to guess. The same reason why COD4 was so popular and the Battlefield series when it first was released.

And DOTA games, MMRPG's, Counter Strike....it's a new MP mode.

And it's not expensive...its like 30 bucks.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's something new-ish.

It's not really hard to guess. The same reason why COD4 was so popular and the Battlefield series when it first was released.

And it's not expensive...its like 30 bucks.

Wasn't that long ago, sites were calling for a pass on indy games over 7 dollars. Like Gunpoint, or The Swapper.

"Wait for a sale", they'd say.

BackFire
I dunno. I've never really gotten the appeal of games like this and Fortnight. I tried Fortnight and just didn't get it at all. Wasn't for me. Haven't played pubg and don't plan to.

Will be interesting to see what happens to these two games when other big hitters come out doing more or less the same thing, but probably with tighter gunplay and better graphics. Both the next Call of Duty and Battlefield games are probably going to have modes like this.

Smasandian
Yeah, I agree.

I have PUBG but I never got into it. I can see the appeal and it's probably the most intense multiplayer experiences I have ever played but there is a lot of dead time and the action is way to explosive to get into it.

In PUBG, you spend 15 minutes walking towards a blue circle and you never see anybody. You jump into a building to scrounge for shit and then get ****ed by a shotgun wielding player hiding in the bathroom. It's so explosive and the tension is so high that you jump back when you die. But....it's annoying because you didn't do anything for 15 minutes and you just walk. That part is not really fun.

However, I will say that you will remember most of your kills because they do become very memorable. I remember getting into a vehicle and driving away from the blue circle and running over a guy. It was pretty damn satisfying. I also remember stalking a dude and killing him with two shots in the head.

The game isn't like Battlfield (my fav online shooter) where you are constantly in battle, or doing something neat. It's a different experience.

It also doesn't help that the game is buggy as shit and the maps are way too ****ing big.

cdtm
Sounds good. For a shooter.

You want intense, you should check out Death Star Battle off of Subspace: Continuum

Don't let the 2d shmup graphics throw you (If you're into arcade games like me, that's a plus), the game is AWESOME.

Kazenji
30 bucks isn't expensive?...bs it is so for people living outside of the U.S. having to deal with the exchange rate's.

Jmanghan
It's something new-ish.

And it's not expensive...its like 30 bucks. Except NONE of the CoD games got anywhere close to Skyrim in sales.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Except NONE of the CoD games got anywhere close to Skyrim in sales.

Where are you getting this information that PUBG outsold all of the versions of Skyrim?

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
30 bucks isn't expensive?...bs it is so for people living outside of the U.S. having to deal with the exchange rate's.

I'm not understanding your problem. They can't lower the price of the game in their biggest market because some people from a different country has to deal with exchange rates.

I'm not sure how this is their problem. They have no control on the exchange rates of different countries and it's ridiculous to suggest they lower the US price so it's more affordable for people in different countries.

It's 30 bucks, which is a good price for online only game and if Canada has to pay an extra 10 bucks for it....so be it....I chose to live in that country.

Kazenji
I'm not understanding your problem. They can't lower the price of the game in their biggest market because some people from a different country has to deal with exchange rates.

I'm not sure how this is their problem. They have no control on the exchange rates of different countries and it's ridiculous to suggest they lower the US price so it's more affordable for people in different countries.

It's 30 bucks, which is a good price for online only game and if Canada has to pay an extra 10 bucks for it....so be it....I chose to live in that country.

I don't think you're getting it

Might it be $30 in U.S. dollars but its not $30 when people outside of America buy, Price increase etc....hence why i said "exchange rate's."

and i'm talking about the Steam version here not the one that's been released on the console.

One Big Mob
Except NONE of the CoD games got anywhere close to Skyrim in sales. Because they get replaced within a year. And Cod MW 3 got really close on its own. Skyrim has sold 30 million since 2011. Cod as a franchise has sold around 160 million units since that time.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Because they get replaced within a year. And Cod MW 3 got really close on its own. Skyrim has sold 30 million since 2011. Cod as a franchise has sold around 160 million units since that time. yes... a year.

It's barely been a year since PUBG was released too.

Most people say Black Ops II was the last good one.

Kazenji
There's a 3rd Black Ops on its way, It won't even have a single player mode from what i've read erm

Jmanghan
Where are you getting this information that PUBG outsold all of the versions of Skyrim? Not yet, but its only 1mill away, MW3 is 4mill behind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

Check the references.

Smasandian
The BBC article doesn't have any references so I'm unsure where they got the data. I'm not saying it's wrong.

But I assume the reason why the sale are so high is because it exploded in China.

One Big Mob
yes... a year.

It's barely been a year since PUBG was released too.

Most people say Black Ops II was the last good one. Yes a year. But like I said, they get replaced every year and people know this. Which likely hinders sales a bit. I know I stopped playing CoD completely because of this

Had Cod said it was taking a break for 2 years and coming out with something fresh in the series, I guarantee that new Cod would be the best selling Cod by far. Even a guaranteed 2 year break would likely bolster interest

Cod can easily outsell Skyrim, it doesn't because people are sick of the shit and they make up for it in installments, not just one release. It's a faulty franchise to compare to.

The reason PUBG is doing so well is because of all the streamers and because it's fresh. I have doubts it will pass 40 million without another system (it is on Xbox though) and even more substantial hype behind it. If CoD/BF/Arena shooters weren't so played out I don't know if it would have taken off.

But it has, and time will tell what will become of it. I'm sure we'll see another installment though in one form or another, and that will tell us of where we can place the longstanding popularity.

cdtm
Because they saw someone rep it on a show.

So the same reason hipsters were into that pabst blue ribbon shite (I say that as someone that bought a case on impulse, out of curiosity. Cut my daily intake way back, on the plus side.)

BackFire
So the PUBG publisher or whatever is suing Epic games because they feel Fortnight is somehow infringing on their copyright.

This is particularly amusing because PUBG is built using the Unreal engine, a propriety owned by Epic games.

This has the potential to backfire spectacularly. Last time a game using the engine sued Epic, Epic countersued and essentially destroyed their ability to make games anymore.

It's really dumb, I hope PUBG gets spanked hard for this, even if it means ceasing to exist. They are essentially trying to say that they own the copyright to battle royale type games. If they win it could set a very dangerous precedent moving forward.

Arachnid1
Yeah I saw this, and legit loled. It's good entertainment, at least.

It's fcking insane. Their game uses nothing but universal assets, was built on another companies engine, and ripped the entire Battle Royal premise off from another game. Nothing about it is original. Part of me wants this to blow up in their face, but I actually want PUBG to continue getting support so I wont go full nuke on them.

Smasandian
Just because you use an engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyright your material.

However, I don't agree with them suing Epic. It would set a dangerous precedent. Just think everybody FPS shooter developer needing to pay ID Software for the first person view with guns....it's ridiculous.

The Fortnite/PUBG is different because Fortnite is essentially PUBG but I still don't agree.

BackFire
No the engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyrighted material. However since the lawsuit is blatantly BS, if I were Epic I'd do everything in my power to revoke the usage of the engine to cripple them.

cdtm
I could see an argument that the look/feel of fortnite is way too close, what with parachuting in and everything..

Of course, Duke Nukem 3D had a look/feel pretty damned close to Doom... The industry is all about derivatives.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
No the engine doesn't allow the engine owner to copyrighted material. However since the lawsuit is blatantly BS, if I were Epic I'd do everything in my power to revoke the usage of the engine to cripple them.

From what I read, Epic can't revoke the engine license unless PUBG has broken the terms of the agreement. They can't just revoke it because that would be ****ing bullshit. It would just as bad as PUBG suing them for "copywriting" a gameplay mechanic.

I agree that Fortnite is a pretty scummy way of doing business but they didn't break any law/contract.

cdtm
I read the opposite: Epic can alter the terms of the arrangement at any time.

They hold all the cards, so not sure "why" they'd need to undermine themselves. It's not like they're hurting for devs who need their engine, with few alternatives and none really as good as theirs..

BackFire
I really have no idea what the legality of Epic revoking PUBG's ability to use the engine is. Just saying, if it were me, and some company that I let use my engine turned around and dragged me through a frivolous lawsuit to try and hinder my ability to sell my game in a country, then I'd absolutely explore revoking my license from them if it were at all possible.

Nemesis X
Yeah I can't see how this won't blow up in PUBG's face. Next thing you know Fortnite will sue Paladins, then Paladins will sue Call of Duty 'cause they tookz mai big map!

Nemesis X
PUBG dropped the lawsuit against Fortnite. Who's expecting Epic to reply with "that's nice but we're still taking the engine away from you"?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
PUBG dropped the lawsuit against Fortnite. Who's expecting Epic to reply with "that's nice but we're still taking the engine away from you"? I don't see the appeal of PUBG at all, it's slowly but surely becoming the best-selling game of all time.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Nemesis X
PUBG dropped the lawsuit against Fortnite. Who's expecting Epic to reply with "that's nice but we're still taking the engine away from you"?

I'm not sure they can do that without legal reason.

Or, at least they won't because it sends a terrible message to other companies who use Unreal.

Nemesis X
I'm not sure they can do that without legal reason.

Or, at least they won't because it sends a terrible message to other companies who use Unreal.

Yeah but it'd be pretty funny if they made the attempt though.

Smasandian
Meh.

I don't like the lawsuit for every obvious reason that people have stated but I do think Epic has been equally as scummy as the PUBG group.

The licensed their engine a developer who makes a very popular game. It's not entirely unique but it hit the right notes for people. Epic then takes the concept of the game, copies it and releases it for free. PUBG is continuation of a lot of king of the hill/DAYZ type games while Fortnite is a direct copy of PUBG.

But people are forgetting that Fornite was not a Battle Royale game but instead a base building horde mode type deal that wasn't fully released and was sold as an early access title. People purchased Fortnite for that reason and when they released a carbon copy of a PUBG mode, most of the developments cycles stopped for the original purpose of the game. Its like if Star Citizen stopped being a space sim but become a space MOBA.

Again...nothing illegal about it and I don't agree with the lawsuit at all but Epic copied PUBG, used the sales of the game to fund the mode and then released it for free to directly compete with PUBG. I thinks that's just as bullshit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.