10 Years of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

James T. Kirk
It began 10 years ago today with the theatrical release of Iron Man.

riv6672
band

CPT Space Bomb
Once Ant Man and The Wasp wraps up it'll be 20 quality movies in around 10 years time... I never imagined Iron Man would kick off such a Marvelous franchise. What a time to be alive.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Once Ant Man and The Wasp wraps up it'll be 20 quality movies in around 10 years time... I never imagined Iron Man would kick off such a Marvelous franchise. What a time to be alive.

Can't agree more.

Marvel manage to pull out a franchise that steps on everything we've seen so far.

You've also got to remember that Marvel stick lacks most of it's iconic characters like F4, or X-Men.

I can't wait to see Deadpool and Dr. Doom in the MCU. Or Magneto.

steverules_2
Marvel did it the right way, it all kicked off with that little post credits scene and it turned into something massive

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by steverules_2
Marvel did it the right way, it all kicked off with that little post credits scene and it turned into something massive

Even DCEU uses post-credit scenes now.

Bentley
10 years of not-quite-matching Blade.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by steverules_2
Marvel did it the right way

Dont worry. The DCEU is 5years Old stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley

thumb up

BackFire
It's pretty amazing what they've managed to accomplish with the MCU. I remember when Ironman came out, it was a cool movie but I was suspect about the idea of a shared universe and thought it would crumble under its own weight. Then when Hulk, Thor and Captain America all came out and were pretty underwhelming when compared to Ironman, I thought they'd mucked it up. Then the first Avengers came out and I loved it, it was tons of fun and really filled the promise and potential. At that point I was really excited for the future.

Then the movies leading up to Avengers 2 were pretty bad (with the exception of Winter Soldier and of course Guardians of the Galaxy) and Age of Ultron itself was a bit of a mess. So at that point I thought the universe had peaked and it would all be downhill from here. But since Age of Ultron, the MCU has probably put out their most consistent and best work to date and really reinvigorated my interest in the universe as a whole.

And it shows how difficult this is to pull off when just about every other attempt at a "shared universe" has crashed and burned. I'll give Feige credit, the guy was a visionary, and he had the patience required to make it work. And that's the key, I think, aside from hiring good filmmakers - patience. Something DCEU could learn a thing or two about.

BruceSkywalker
so... where is mr. spock?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Even DCEU uses post-credit scenes now.

Too late for them now.

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Dont worry. The DCEU is 5years Old stick out tongue

Five years of atrocity.

Robtard
Iron Man is still likely my favorite MCU flick overall. It was new, Downey was perfectly cast, we had a good story and villain and it's aged incredibly well. Can watch it again and it's still great. Might be nostalgia propping it up some though.

Of note, Iron Man was close to being done completely differently, years before; no Downey and on the cheap. If that had happened, we probably wouldn't be where we are now with the MCU: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/iron-man-movie-happened-before-robert-downey-jr-1107846

BackFire
Also interesting, in 1997 Marvel offered Sony a deal to buy the rights to all of their characters' film rights for something like $40 million. Sony passed and just bought Spiderman for a bit less.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by BackFire
It's pretty amazing what they've managed to accomplish with the MCU. I remember when Ironman came out, it was a cool movie but I was suspect about the idea of a shared universe and thought it would crumble under its own weight. Then when Hulk, Thor and Captain America all came out and were pretty underwhelming when compared to Ironman, I thought they'd mucked it up. Then the first Avengers came out and I loved it, it was tons of fun and really filled the promise and potential. At that point I was really excited for the future.

Then the movies leading up to Avengers 2 were pretty bad (with the exception of Winter Soldier and of course Guardians of the Galaxy) and Age of Ultron itself was a bit of a mess. So at that point I thought the universe had peaked and it would all be downhill from here. But since Age of Ultron, the MCU has probably put out their most consistent and best work to date and really reinvigorated my interest in the universe as a whole.

And it shows how difficult this is to pull off when just about every other attempt at a "shared universe" has crashed and burned. I'll give Feige credit, the guy was a visionary, and he had the patience required to make it work. And that's the key, I think, aside from hiring good filmmakers - patience. Something DCEU could learn a thing or two about.

thumb up

Good post.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Also interesting, in 1997 Marvel offered Sony a deal to buy the rights to all of their characters' film rights for something like $40 million. Sony passed and just bought Spiderman for a bit less.

That's insane, 40mil is nothing much to a company like Sony, even in 1997. Even if they knew they'd never use the majority of the characters, just a few major ones could have net them profits.

edit: Wait, forgot about right laws, Sony would have to use each character within 10years or so or the rights would revert back to Marvel. Still, they could have ash-canned the more prominent characters until the time was right while letting ones like Maggot default back to Marvel.

BackFire
Originally posted by Robtard
That's insane, 40mil is nothing much to a company like Sony, even in 1997. Even if they knew they'd never use the majority of the characters, just a few major ones could have net them profits.

edit: Wait, forgot about right laws, Sony would have to use each character within 10years or so or the rights would revert back to Marvel. Still, they could have ash-canned the more prominent characters until the time was right while letting ones like Maggot default back to Marvel.

I may be off on the numbers, I don't remember. Point is, though, Sony had the opportunity to own them all for only a little more than they paid for Spiderman, and they passed.

Made sense at the time, no one could have guessed that Marvel characters would become so huge, still interesting to think about.

carthage

Arachnid1

gauntlet o doom
They're not lacking characters. Even removing Captain America and Ironman won't dent the MCU Juggernaut. I'm looking forward to them incorporating the F4 universe along with their rich chest of villains. And you know once the X-Men are re-introduced into the MCU it'll recapture the original feeling of the first Avengers movie. And finally, once you have the blockbuster F4, X-Men, Avengers, Guardians and Eternals crossover there's no telling where they'll go - New Universe, Shi'Ar, Midnight Sons, New Warriors... etc.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Bentley

blade was shit

Arachnid1
Originally posted by gauntlet o doom
They're not lacking characters. Even removing Captain America and Ironman won't dent the MCU Juggernaut. I'm looking forward to them incorporating the F4 universe along with their rich chest of villains. And you know once the X-Men are re-introduced into the MCU it'll recapture the original feeling of the first Avengers movie. And finally, once you have the blockbuster F4, X-Men, Avengers, Guardians and Eternals crossover there's no telling where they'll go - New Universe, Shi'Ar, Midnight Sons, New Warriors... etc. I'm still fking ecstatic about getting Spidey back. I honestly never thought we'd get him in the MCU.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
blade was the shit thumb up

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I'm still fking ecstatic about getting Spidey back. I honestly never thought we'd get him in the MCU.

thumb up

nah... snipes sucked

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.