Weezer (Black Album)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ESB -1138
Cuomo revealed that the Black Album will be released on May 25, 2018. Happy Dance Happy Dance

The last few albums, Everything Will Be Alright in the End (EWBAITE) and the White Album were pretty good. Heck, EWBAITE is my second favorite Weezer album (behind Pinkerton). Pacific Daydream was disappointing. But the reason I'm excited for the Black Album is because it was originally supposed to follow the White Album. Rivers was making two folders; one for Black and the other that didn't fit that album. Well that second folder became Pacific Daydream because it filled up first. So it seems Rivers is taking more time to work on these songs as opposed to Pacific Daydream (and previous albums that were done in less than a year...like Radtitude).

I'm hoping this album is great!

ESB -1138
Favorite Weezer songs:

1.) Falling For You from Pinkerton
2.) Futurescope Trilogy from Everything Will Be Alright In the End
3.) Buddy Holly from Blue
4.) Why Bother? from Pinkerton
5.) I Don't Want to Let You Go from Raditude
6.) (Girl We Got A) Good Thing from White
7.) Thought I Knew from Red
8.) In the Garage from Blue
9.) Tired of Sex from Pinkerton
10.) Say It Ain't So from Blue

ESB -1138
11 days until release of the Black Album! I'll give a short review on all of Weezer's studio albums (1 a day) to lead up to the release. First off...

Blue Album
Released 10 May 1994. Produced by Ric Ocasek.
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Brian Bell, Matt Sharp, Patrick Wilson

In the era of grunge that was dominated by Nirvana, Pearl Jam Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, and others, Weezer came around and gave us something quite distinctive. The band's melodic prowess, love for super heavy guitars, and that vulnerability made them universal. They sang about love, looking like celebrities, jamming in the garage, and going surfing. It was a rather nice change of pace to the angst filled lyrics that flooded the market at the time. Their debut album is one with a good seven great songs and not a single bad one. The hooks were killer with a hard rocking sound with an uptight, nerdy bend to them. Through its AMAZING opening number of "My Name is Jonas," it becomes clear that Weezer has a skill of crafting great songs. But the album's crowning achievement is easily "Buddy Holly." This song is near perfect to me. This post ironic love song is without a doubt one of the best songs of the 90's.

Album Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) My Name is Jonas
2.) No One Else
3.) The World Has Turned and Left Me Here
4.) Buddy Holly
5.) Undone (The Sweater Song)
6.) Surf Wax America
7.) Say It Ain't So
8.) In the Garage
9.) Holiday
10.) Only in Dreams

ESB -1138
Pinkerton
Released 24 September 1996. Produced by Weezer
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Briant Bell, and Matt Sharp

The sunny, heavy guitar pop of the Blue Album is traded in for a darker and more messier sound. A lot of raging and squealing comes pouring out of the guitars with plenty of feedback to boot. The band wastes no time at declaring this change as the opening track "Tired of Sex" is just a primal assault. Gone is the polish and it's replaced by that raw sound. This makes Pinkerton sound like a live band much more than their debut. Each song is driven by powerful, melodic hooks, a sense of humor that boards on self-deprecating with that sense of vulnerability. The band's nerdy persona isn't as cute as before. "Falling For You" (my favorite Weezer song) is the most propulsive thing the band has ever recorded and songs like "The Good Life" have choruses that are more memorable and catchy that 99% of hit pop songs released in the last 20 years. Simply put; this album resonant with you more and more with each play.

Album Rating: 5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Tired of Sex
2.) Getchoo
3.) No Other One
4.) Why Bother?
5.) Across the Sea
6.) The Good Life
7.) El Scorcho
8.) Pink Triangle
9.) Falling for You
10.) Butterfly

ESB -1138
Green Album
Released 15 May 2001. Produced by Ric Ocasek
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Brian Bell, and Mikey Welsh

After the initial commercial and critical failure of Pinkerton, Weezer went on a near 5-year hiatus. Because of that, it's easy to see why Weezer wanted to distance themselves from Pinkerton and instead tread more towards their debut. Gone is the raw sound and feedback. Instead we get a polished album (more so than their debut). But is that a bad thing? Well, the album isn't as good as their two previous works but it's still a enjoyable experience. The songs are kept compact and thus none of them overstay their welcome. Though at times it feels like the songs could have been more. But it's easy to see why they were playing it safe here. The album is still jam packed with catchy hooks. It's a good album. Not really much to say outside of that.

Album Rating: 3.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Don't Let Go
2.) Photograph
3.) Hash Pipe
4.) Island in the Sun
5.) Crab
6.) Knock-down Drag-out
7.) Smile
8.) Simple Pages
9.) Glorious Day
10.) O Girlfriend

Jmanghan
WOO, **** YEAH, WEEZER IS AWESOME.

ESB -1138
Maladroit
Released 14 May 2002. Produced by Weezer.
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Pat Wilson, Brian Bell, and Scott Shriner

An album that I think is horribly overrated. I think this album is better than the Green Album and holds up extremely well. Of course this did start Weezer on the one a year album release schedule, which is impressive considering that before the Green Album, they had a 5 year hiatus. The album is rather short and doesn't expand the sound of Weezer to new heights like Pinkerton did, but it is an enjoyable experience nonetheless. It has a ton of riff-heavy, melodic rockers and not so many ballads. Cuomo still seems to be hiding from the confessional Pinkerton but this album still gives us plenty of character to work with. And it has a tougher sound than their previous album since Weezer is once again producing (though nowhere near as raw as Pinkerton). It can be loud and raucous and Weezer's fans should definitely give this album another chance. Nothing new from their previous work but that isn't exactly a bad thing considering it's still catchy and satisfying.

Album Rating: 3.75 out of 5

Track Listing:
1) American Gigolo
2.) Dope Nose
3.) Keep Fishin
4.) Take Control
5.) Death and Destruction
6.) Slob
7.) Burndt Jamb
8.) Space Rock
9.) Slave
10.) Fall Together
11.) Possibilities
12.) Love Explosion
13.) December

ESB -1138
Make Believe
Released 10 May 2005. Produced by Rick Rubin.
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Brian Bell, Scott Shriner, Patrick Wilson

The album starts with "Beverly Hills." Yeah. Not a fan of that song. I don't hate it. It's just mediocre and self deprecating for the most part. This album sounds more like a Weezer-cover band that decided to make their own album. This doesn't sound like the band who made Pinkerton or the Blue Album. This album lacks the raw, nervy immediacy of previous releases and it just comes off pretty forgettable. It's not a bad album. "Perfect Situation" has something there that warrants a listen. But the album just feels so lacking.

Album Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Beverly Hills
2.) Perfect Situation
3.) This Is Such A Pity
4.) Hold Me
5.) Peace
6.) We Are All On Drugs
7.) The Damage in Your Heart
8.) Pardon Me
9.) My Best Friend
10.) The Other Way
11.) Freak Me Out
12.) Haunt You Every Day

ESB -1138
Red Album
Released 3 June 2008. Produced by Rick Rubin, Jacknife Lee, and Weezer
Band Members for this recording: Rivers Cuomo, Brian Bell, Scott Shriner, Patrick Wilson

This album is a step up from Make Believe. But still nothing amazing. It can be a lot of fun. The Greatest Man That Ever Lived has some good moments but also some laughably bad ones (like Rivers doing a rap at the beginning). But the second half of the album definitely outshines the first. Bell, Shriner, and Wilson all handle lead vocals for a song each. And those are some of the best moments here as we're given something fresh and new. And the songs they sing are rather good. "The Angel and the One" is a rather good closing number. The first half of the album though has some bumps. "Pork and Beans" is very catchy even if the lyrics can be a little cringe worthy. "Everybody Get Dangerous" and "Troublemaker" just feel like album filler. They're okay. Nothing special. Overall, I'd say it's worth a listen. But I don't think you'll be replaying this album as much as previous Weezer albums.

Album Rating: 3 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Troublemaker
2.) The Greatest Man That Ever Lived (Variations on a Shaker Hymn)
3.) Pork and Beans
4.) Heart Songs
5.) Everybody Get Dangerous
6.) Dreamin
7.) Thought I Knew
8.) Cold Dark World
9.) Automatic
10.) The Angel and the One

ESB -1138
Raditude
Released 3 November 2009. Produced by Dr. Luke, Jacknife Lee, Polow da Don, Butch Walker, Rivers Cuomo

The worst Weezer album. Need I say more? It's starts somewhat promising. While, "I Want You To" isn't say "My Name is Jonas" or "Tired of Sex," it's a decent opening track. But one that lures you into a false sense of security as an uninspired collection of songs tailor-made for mainstream radio begins to pour in. Cuomo knows his way around a hook but this music is just so painfully generic and forgettable. It's a joyless product with the sole intention to be sold and not to be listened to and enjoyed. Cuomo's Alone albums actually give us a glimpse of what this album could have been. "Can't Stop Partying" in that acoustic version from Alone II is one of the most beautiful things the band has recorded. The song transforms into a plea from a guy instead of what we get on the album which is just trash club music. Even one of my personal favorite Weezer tracks, "I Don't Want to Let You Go" suffers from the over polish and production that seems to try to be sucking out its soul and identity. Again, the version on Alone II has so much more meaning and passion without changing the lyrics or arrangement. This is an album you can definitely skip.

Album Rating: 1.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
2.) I'm Your Daddy
3.) The Girl Got Hot
4.) Can't Stop Partying (Featuring Lil Wayne)
5.) Put Me Back Together
6.) Trippin' Down the Freeway
7.) Love is the Answer
8.) Let It All Hang Out
9.) In the Mall
10.) I Don't Want to Let You Go

walshy
I like most of weezers hits but I'm not familiar with their albums, but these are really well written reviews. You should be a music critic.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by walshy
I like most of weezers hits but I'm not familiar with their albums, but these are really well written reviews. You should be a music critic.

Thanks big grin big grin

ESB -1138
Hurley
Released 10 September 2010. Produced by Rivers Cuomo and Shawn Everett

You think after Radtitude that Weezer would take some time in working on a new album. Instead they released Hurley less than a year later. The cover of the album is just a picture of Jorge Garcia from the TV show Lost that was taken by the band. That's it. It's a very lazy cover and that's the perfect description of this album. It's better than Radtitude (but that's not saying much). Most of these songs feel undeveloped and unfinished. I guess after the overly polished Radtitude album, they wanted to distant themselves from that. But there's a fine line between raw and abrasive and just undone and lazy. The album is okay. But after Radtitude, we didn't need an okay album. This album would have been good if it followed the Green Album or Maladroit. Then there's songs on here which have too deep of an inside joke for you to enjoy without context. "Where's My Sex?" is actually about socks because Cuomo's 2 year old daughter kept calling socks "sex" instead. Once you know that, the song is fine. Before knowing that, it's just too bizarre to enjoy. Again, it's an okay album. But that's it.

Album Rating: 2.75 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Memories
2.) Ruling Me
3.) Trainwrecks
4.) Unspoken
5.) Where's My Sex?
6.) Run Away
7.) Hang On
8.) Smart Girls
9.) Brave New World
10.) Time Flies

Album Ranking So Far:
1.) Pinkerton (1996) - 5 out of 5
2.) Blue Album (1994) - 4.5 out of 5
3.) Maladroit (2002) - 3.75 out of 5
4.) Green Album (2001) - 3.5 out of 5
5.) Red Album (2008) - 3 out of 5
6.) Hurley (2010) - 2.75 out of 5
7.) Make Believe (2005) - 2.5 out of 5
8.) Radtitude (2009) - 1.5 out of 5

ESB -1138
Everything Will Be Alright in the End
Released 7 October 2014. Produced by Ric Ocasek.

Simply put, this is the best Weezer album since Pinkerton. Is it perfect? No. There are some nitpicks I can bring up; like the whistling in "Da Vinci." Seriously, has there ever been a pop song where whistling wasn't corny? Well...besides the Stranger by Billy Joel. But this album starts off with probably the best opening track that Weezer has put forth and "Return to Ithaka" is easily their best closing number. And "Foolish Father" may be the best thing lyrically that Weezer has ever written. From beginning to end, there's not a bad song on this album. The funky grove in "I've Had It Up to Here" is well done and gives you something fresh to keep you interested once you hit the album's mid-way point. But the best songs have to be the ones about Weezer and the relationship with the fans. Seriously, "Back to the Shack" and "Eulogy for a Rock Band" seem like apology letters to Weezer fans everywhere. The album is perfectly titled too because everything will be alright in the end.

Album Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Ain't Got Nobody
2.) Back to the Shack
3.) Eulogy for a Rock Band
4.) Lonely Girl
5.) I've Had It Up to Here
6.) The British Are Coming
7.) Da Vinci
8.) Go Away
9.) Cleopatra
10.) Foolish Father
11.) The Futurescope Trilogy: I. The Waste Land
12.) The Futurescope Trilogy: II. Anonymous
13.) The Futurescope Trilogy: III. Return to Ithaka

ESB -1138
White Album
Released 1 April 2016. Produced by Jake Sinclair.

Weezer followed up EWBAITE with another solid album. This album definitely has major influence from the Beach Boys. This album can be seen as the spiritual successor to their Blue Album in that regard. The album is very laid back and chill. Cuomo definitely shows just how much he loves and admire the Beach Boys. You still have those catchy hooks and the instrumentation here is spot on for this kind of record. There's a tight presentation and all the songs warrant a listen. Stand out track for me is "Good Thing" and "Do You Wanna Get High?" the latter of which is about Cuomo's drug addiction. "Endless Bummer" is a perfect closing track to this kind of record. My biggest nitpick would be that I'm not big into "Thank God for Girls" which doesn't really sound like it belongs on this kind of album. Besides that, yeah, Weezer has released another good album.

Album Rating: 4 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) California Kids
2.) Wind in Our Sails
3.) Thank God for Girls
4.) (Girl We Got A) Good Thing
5.) Do You Wanna Get High?
6.) King of the World
7.) Summer Elaine and Drunk Dori
8.) L.A. Girlz
9.) Jacked Up
10.) Endless Bummer

ESB -1138
Pacific Daydream
Released 27 October 2017. Produced by Butch Walker, Johnny Coffer, JR Rotem, and Toby Gad.

So this album has an interesting history. The Black Album was supposed to follow up the White Album. Rivers Cuomo had two folders he was trying to fill up with songs. One was titled "The Black Album" and the second one became this album. And so the band pushed back the Black Album and started to work on this new collection of songs. And that's where most of the interest of this album ends. This album is rather forgettable. Cuomo hasn't lost his knack for crafting good hooks to a song. But the album sounds lazy and empty. There's a fine line between keeping it simple and putting nothing into it. And this albums falls into putting nothing into it. Weezer even tries their hand at a power ballad but they forgot to add the power to it. You'll be hard pressed to find a track on this album that isn't boring.

Album Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Track Listing:
1.) Mexican Fender
2.) Beach Boys
3.) Feels Like Summer
4.) Happy Hour
5.) Weekend Woman
6.) QB Blitz
7.) Sweet Mary
8.) Get Right
9.) La Mancha Screwjob
10.) Any Friend of Diane's

ESB -1138
Album Ranking:
1.) Pinkerton (1996) - 5 out of 5
2.) Everything Will Be Alright in the End (2014) - 4.5 out of 5
3.) Blue Album (1994) - 4.5 out of 5
4.) White Album (2016) - 3.75 out of 5
5.) Maladroit (2002) - 3.75 out of 5
6.) Green Album (2001) - 3.5 out of 5
7.) Red Album (2008) - 3 out of 5
8.) Hurley (2010) - 2.75 out of 5
9.) Pacific Daydream (2017) - 2.5 out of 5
10.) Make Believe (2005) - 2.5 out of 5
11.) Radtitude (2009) - 1.5 out of 5

Weezer's 12th album, the Black Album, is supposed to come out Friday. I'm hoping I can bump Pinkerton off the top of the list...but we'll see. Here's hoping that it's a great album!

ESB -1138
Sooooooooooooooooo...no album release. I can't find any word on what's the situation. But it doesn't look like Weezer is going to release the Black Album today. Delayed? I dunno. The latest news I can get on Weezer is that they covered a song by Toto that wasn't Africa. That's news worthy I guess.

ESB -1138
Rivers Cuomo on Tweeter: "June 1st sounds fantastic...for a release date" So, we'll see if the Black Album comes out this Friday

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.