What WB/DC should do to compete against Disney/Marvel's MCU?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Drsoe08

Kazenji
Olivier Megaton for one of their directors?....the person can't even direct a good action scene its like the camera operator is having a seizure.

playa1258
The need to make a series of good solid films to find their footing and go from there.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Kazenji
Olivier Megaton for one of their directors?....the person can't even direct a good action scene its like the camera operator is having a seizure.

Ugh, yeah. Some of the action scenes in Taken 2 & 3 are pretty rough to watch. Just quick-cut, shaky cam garbage.

StiltmanFTW

Silent Master
Make better movies.

BruceSkywalker
The only way for them to compete is simply give up making comic book movies..

They have failed the fans.. They have failed the general audience.. Most important they have failed themselves

Tzeentch
Make nothing but high-quality low-budget animated films for the next ten years and then try to eke out some high-quality live action films starting with Batman and then Superman stuff.

gauntlet o doom
Standalone films would be the way to go, see Wonderwoman.

tkitna
Sell all their properties to Disney/MCU.

The Ellimist
Continue The Dark Knight?

dynamix
two words...MORTAL KOMBAT. usher a new WB era of mature focused films.

quanchi112
WB has the Potter franchise which is their best imo with Lotr as well. I never cared that much for the dceu but nothing can compete with the MCU.

BruceSkywalker
WB should be asking "Why would anyone care since they themselves do not."

janus77
I honestly don't think most DC superheroes translate well, to the movies.

Superman worked for children back in the '70s, a more innocent time and one without the amplified drama and action that movies now offer. The core character is bland and you can't "gray him up" without basically invalidating the meaning of Superman.

Batman works best solo, in the dark and brooding way that Nolan did it, or maybe as a background character ... but it's ridiculous him being in the company of Superman or WW.

Green Lantern could work as a fantasy sort of story. Lots of potential, I think the original Ryan Reynolds movie had much of the tone and style right, but lacked a proper story to bring the audience onboard.

Again, doesn't really work with Superman or Batman ... The tone just jarrs.

Wonder Woman sort of works, definitely in the way they reused the CA:TFA template to make her movie.

relentless1
give em two hours every monday night on TNT...

Darth Thor
Absolutely nothing.

Playing catch up with Marvel is what made them Rush their cinematic universe in the first place.

Carry on the WW series and see how Shazam goes. But aside from that screw this Universe. Try a new one in a few years which is built more organically.

Flyattractor
Kill all the WB Execs THEN make DC Comic Movies.

It is the Only way.

TheLordofMurder
I think Warner Brothers needs to just blow up the DCEU and start completely over...

They should just swallow their pride and copy Marvel by getting an excellent group of writers to come together and plan out the progression of the DC Universe just as Marvel Studio's did...

BruceSkywalker
Honestly, there really isn't anything WB can do to compete

Flyattractor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Honestly, there really isn't anything WB can do to compete

And that Ladies, Gentlemen and Whatever you are... is an opinion Pulled out of an ASS Hole!

Inhuman
They shouldn't try to compete. All their reactionary decisions were moronic and stupid. The higher ups dont know what they are doing like the pic I posted in another thread.
They should axe the whole DCEU completely and reboot after a few years have gone by. But WB will not do this because they will try to milk Wonder Woman as much as they can and see if they can have another WW type hit with Shazam and Aquaman.

IMO they should put the DCEU on hold and focus on lesser known properties solo movies like Swamp Thing, Deadman, Sandman, etc.

NemeBro
Kill themselves.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Inhuman

They should axe the whole DCEU completely and reboot after a few years have gone by. But WB will not do this because they will try to milk Wonder Woman as much as they can and see if they can have another WW type hit with Shazam and Aquaman.

Maybe if those 2 work create a Sub-Dceu focusing on those 3? And scrap the rest for now?

But tbh I dont see AquaMamoa becoming very popular.

BruceSkywalker
question should i respond to that piece of crap known as Fly or just continue to ignore him???

relentless1
don't need to scrap whats been done, they have a gem in WW; keep going with that for a trilogy, if Shazams good and Aquamans good then make trilogies form them also; go ahead with the Flash and if you can make that work then continue on with a solo series, same with GL.... Only when these individual characters are accepted in universally accepted good films can you then revisit a Justice League shared universe.

Zack M
They don't need to scrap anything, IMO. Also, James Wan is going to do Swamp Thing Tv special or something.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by relentless1
go ahead with the Flash

But... he really sucks. I mean the Dceu one.

Carry on with what works. Scrap what doesnt.

Thats the issue with a shared universe. Something Feige understood. That IT ALL has to Work. Otherwise you are stuck.

Feige understood after IMs success, that for Avengers to work both Thor and CA needed to also work.

Now im sure they would have carried on with IM films regardless after its massive success, but they understood that if the other franchises didnt work then the shared universe would be a bust.

Zack M
Rumor has it, they are scrapping Flashpoint and just making a flash solo. And we'll have a proper sequel for Superman.

BruceSkywalker
best thing for WB to do is simply give it up... they suck.. they cannot compare nor will they ever will... from one film to another Marvel built up good will with each film and we have seen the culmination of what happens when people like what they see.. you cannot say the same with the dceu unless you are a pompous jack$ss who cannot see that WB clearly knows nothing of their characters

Silent Master
So they're making two more bad movies?

Josh_Alexander
Reboot the whole DCEU.

Trying to fix things by this moment is nuts.

Zack M
They have several movies green lit and going into production. Probably never going to happen.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Zack M
They have several movies green lit and going into production. Probably never going to happen.

A shame.

I wonder if Affleck will keep playing Batman.

Zack M
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
A shame.

I wonder if Affleck will keep playing Batman.

It's too much of a risk, financially wise. Aside from JL, all DCEU movies did pretty well, BO wise. I think a little over 3 billion WW, which is crazy for movies with shit reviews. WW also had a historic run, so WB won't stop DCEU soon. I hope Jake Gyllenhaal replaces Ben, but rumor is, he doesn't want to leave.

If WB keeps on getting big names like Speilberg or Jackson, they won't reboot anytime soon. Then again, Blackhawks might not even be a part of the DCEU.

Silent Master
JL did so bad because people are getting tired of supporting a company that continues to make sh!t movies.

relentless1
Originally posted by Darth Thor
But... he really sucks. I mean the Dceu one.

Carry on with what works. Scrap what doesnt.

Thats the issue with a shared universe. Something Feige understood. That IT ALL has to Work. Otherwise you are stuck.

Feige understood after IMs success, that for Avengers to work both Thor and CA needed to also work.

Now im sure they would have carried on with IM films regardless after its massive success, but they understood that if the other franchises didnt work then the shared universe would be a bust.

we dont know for sure that hes a shitty flash, let him shine under a competent director and I bet he changes a lot of minds, Ezra Miller is a good actor

Zack M
We'll see how SHAZAM and Aquaman do. If they flop, then WB will probably reboot. If they don't, then they'll continue on.

Darth Thor

Darth Thor
It's too much of a risk, financially wise. Aside from JL, all DCEU movies did pretty well, BO wise. I think a little over 3 billion WW, which is crazy for movies with shit reviews. WW also had a historic run, so WB won't stop DCEU soon. I hope Jake Gyllenhaal replaces Ben, but rumor is, he doesn't want to leave.

Its also a massive financial risk to continue after what happened with JL.

Aside from Wonder Woman that is. But that can continue as its own series.

Zack M
Its also a massive financial risk to continue after what happened with JL.

Aside from Wonder Woman that is. But that can continue as its own series.

You're assuming the other films will flop too. They could, but they can also be a success as well. Only time will tell

quanchi112
You're assuming the other films will flop too. They could, but they can also be a success as well. Only time will tell I do hope this wounded franchise survives so I can debate against this inferior franchise.

Darth Thor
You're assuming the other films will flop too. They could, but they can also be a success as well. Only time will tell

I said its a big risk. Didnt assume anything.

Fact is though aside from Wonder Woman no ones really interested in more at the moment. As Justice League proved.

Zack M
I said its a big risk. Didnt assume anything.

Fact is though aside from Wonder Woman no ones really interested in more at the moment. As Justice League proved.

That's because JL was associated with Snyder. SHAZAM and Aquaman aren't. Neither is The Batman, New Gods, and Blackhawks. Those could be big.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
And that just proves what a HORRIBLE Hollow Empty and Sad person you are.

Which brings a smile to MY Face!

eek!

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Words and Actions buddy boy. It is just sad that you are such a closed off Elitist Snot. That is what makes you a horrible empty hollow person.

I want Good Movies from ALL of the Franchise. Not just One.

Go Push your Horriblenes somewhere it is wanted.

Zack M
Originally posted by Flyattractor
And that just proves what a HORRIBLE Hollow Empty and Sad person you are.

Which brings a smile to MY Face!

eek!

rolling on floor laughing

quanchi112

quanchi112
rolling on floor laughing ?

Zack M
?

Flyattractor
Somehow I doubt that.

Sad Sad Horrible Person....

eek!

quanchi112

quanchi112
? ?

Zack M
??

Flyattractor

Josh_Alexander

If WB keeps on getting big names like Speilberg or Jackson, they won't reboot anytime soon. Then again, Blackhawks might not even be a part of the DCEU.

Well a reboot would be ideal although unlikely.

Jake!? I don't know man.... I would love to see Baleman again. Although many criticize his role as Batman, i think he made a hell of job as Wayne. And they Dark Knight movies were the best DC has manage to output.

But well, only the future will say.

Darkstorm Zero
I will say this - Outside of Wonder Woman, the last time I truly enjoyed a DC Film, one that truly captured my imagination and held it, were the Tim Burton/Michael Keaton Batman films. They withstood the test of time in my eyes, more so than the Dark Knight series ever did. Don't get me wrong, Bale Batman was good, but the voice and line delivery really put me off with the level of cheese. Michael in my opinion pulled the character off, he had the right face and voice for the role.

quanchi112
?? ???

quanchi112
What caused you to be so full of hate there little man?

Not enough prunes in your childhood I bet....Probably why you like Thanos so much....what with him being a Giant Prune... Mcu is amazing dceu is shit. Accept reality. The more you reject it the more you will want to self harm.

Darth Thor
That's because JL was associated with Snyder.

I dont think the vast majority of audiences know Snyder well by name. They just associate it with the DC films shared universe.

If Shazam and Aquaman are received well, then like I said they can keep going with the more popular franchises in the DCEU. But so far theres just the 1.

quanchi112
Zack really thinks average people are talking about Snyder with the justice league film. What an idiot.

Zack M
I dont think the vast majority of audiences know Snyder well by name. They just associate it with the DC films shared universe.

If Shazam and Aquaman are received well, then like I said they can keep going with the more popular franchises in the DCEU. But so far theres just the 1.

Pretty sure most movie goers knew Snyder was the director, especially after what happened to his daughter. Snyder is a pretty big name. Either way, it's a wait and see game for the future movies. You can't really reboot the franchise without rebooting Wonder Woman.

NemeBro
That's because JL was associated with Snyder. SHAZAM and Aquaman aren't. Neither is The Batman, New Gods, and Blackhawks. Those could be big. The average movie-goer quite possibly doesn't even know who Snyder is. What they know is the brand, and the brand's reputation has been tarnished irrevocably, with a reboot being its only salvation.

Zack M
Originally posted by NemeBro
The average movie-goer quite possibly doesn't even know who Snyder is. What they know is the brand, and the brand's reputation has been tarnished irrevocably, with a reboot being its only salvation.

Eh, disagree. By the time JL came out, I would think most people would know who would be at the helm of JL (Snyder/Whedon). A reboot isn't necessary. Not after WW box office performance. WB just needs to commit to quality, diverse films.

Flyattractor
Eh, disagree. By the time JL came out, I would think most people would know who would be at the helm of JL (Snyder/Whedon). A reboot isn't necessary. Not after WW box office performance. WB just needs to commit to quality, diverse films.

No. WB needs to keep their fat heads out of the DC Projects and let the right fans start making the movies.

Zack M
Yes, WB needs to give more freedom and get their hands out of the creative control.

Flyattractor
They need to stop Weinsteining the DC.

Darth Thor

I doubt it about Snyder. Hes neither a Christopher Nolan nor a Michael Bay when it comes to fame.

Yes theres no way they will reboot Wonder Woman. But then a JL2 seems pretty unlikely at this point also. So theyre basically stuck as far as the Shared Universe bit goes.

Zack M
I doubt it about Snyder. Hes neither a Christopher Nolan nor a Michael Bay when it comes to fame.

Yes theres no way they will reboot Wonder Woman. But then a JL2 seems pretty unlikely at this point also. So theyre basically stuck as far as the Shared Universe bit goes.

Hes no small time director, either. I'm not just blaming him, the higher ups are to blame too.

If you had to pick between Jake or Ben as Batman, who would you choose?

quanchi112

Darth Thor
Hes no small time director, either. I'm not just blaming him, the higher ups are to blame too.

If you had to pick between Jake or Ben as Batman, who would you choose?

Meh. Id prefer to continue with Ben for now.

But not if his heart isnt in it. Also without a reboot if they change actor theyre stuck with an older Batman for any crossover films.

SquallX

Flyattractor
Yeah. I never really agreed with the "modern concept" that Since I am a Piece of Human Shit. I want my Heroes to be Pieces of Shit Too.

Heroes should be someone we look up to and aspire to be like.

But hey. If you wanna be a POS....Who am I to say that you are wrong.

quanchi112

SquallX

janus77
It's not a "challenge" if all it amounts to is "I don't like your opinion, and it smells!".

Superman is dull and boring and would hold little interest with people, if he were to be the clean cut, simple, flat character he was in comics. The whole "hope" symbol stuff is hilarious and merely furthers the infantilisation of the audience that DC trades in.

This is why their biggest success is always Batman. And now, after copying the whole plot, style and tone of Captain America: TFA, Wonder Woman is another of their "non-DC" successes.

I have nothing against DC, I enjoyed the infamous Ryan Reynolds GL film, and really liked the Nolan and Burton Batmen.

I just don't see their prime properties working. Maybe Green Arrow could be done for the big screen or a Catwoman movie or something, but the big S is destined to be a big L, imo.

quanchi112

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by janus77
Superman worked for children back in the '70s, a more innocent time and one without the amplified drama and action that movies now offer. The core character is bland and you can't "gray him up" without basically invalidating the meaning of Superman.

thumb up

Dr Will Hatch
It makes me laugh that anyone refers to the 1970s as a more innocent time.

SquallX

SquallX

StiltmanFTW
"your wrong"

lmao

SquallX
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
"your wrong"

lmao

Agree to disagree then.

quanchi112

Kazenji
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
question should i respond to that piece of crap known as Fly or just continue to ignore him???

Only if you wish to blow another gasket.

NemeBro

BackFire
Have to agree with Neme, here. There are some really great takes on Superman, and he can be a really complex and interesting character when done right. Problem is, it requires a really gifted writer to do that correctly, and most just fall into the "he's good, he's hope, he's humanity's savior, now watch as he saves humanity" without much nuance, because that's easy and what most people expect from Superman. Doing a good Superman movie would be difficult, but no more difficult than it was for Marvel to do Captain America well in their movies.

I think as far as Batman goes, I think his greatest strength is that he's very pliable as far as what kind of story you can do with him. You can do a funny one, a hopeful one, a light hearted one, a bleak one, you can even do horror with Batman. Superman is harder because of audiences preconception, he's more rigid. You can still do all those types of stories with Superman if you want, it just takes more effort to convince the audience that it's sensible and to suspend their disbelief.

Darkstorm Zero
In order for a Superman film to be a success these days, without the cheese of the Reeve films, is to have a suitably credible threat, and by that I mean beyond the cerebral intellect threat that Lex poses. I can think of at least two of Superman's greatest foes that fit that bill.

The first being Braniac.

And the second being Darkseid.

Unfortunately, in order to match the impact of Infinity War, introducing Darkseid at least would take some decent setup. They wasted Doomsday and blew the Death of Superman way too early. A second death would be wasted now as they know a Motherbox can revive Clark now.

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/y9jn72bs

Tzeentch
At the bare minimum they need to not make another ****ing DC movie for at least ten years.

Beyond that, there's plenty of things they could do to make good films and win over a new audience but I don't know what it would take to gain back the people who've been burnt by WB over the past decade. This is where DC's Holy Trinity fails them. DC movies aren't allowed to exist without one of the Big Three being involved for some reason, but I have zero desire to ever see a ****ing Batman or Superman film again.

I suppose the way to go would be to shelve the expanded universe and also take a break from the A-list DC characters. Disney built its universe on the back of a C-list character (Iron Man), Fox is raking in the mega bucks right now with Deadpool who was also a c-list character until he wasn't. WB could take a feather out of that cap, scale down their ambitions and and focus on making a series of stand-alone, GOOD movies focused on the lesser known DC characters that have less baggage attached to them. Give me a Slade movie. Give me a John Stewart film. Nigga give me a Hawkgirl film with a GotG aesthetic.

Oh and for the love of God, stay from super-teams. Team dynamics are a pain to write properly and if the chemistry feels whack on any level the entire concept goes to shit.

BruceSkywalker
3p-lyt78cyA

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Tzeentch
At the bare minimum they need to not make another ****ing DC movie for at least ten years.

Beyond that, there's plenty of things they could do to make good films and win over a new audience but I don't know what it would take to gain back the people who've been burnt by WB over the past decade. This is where DC's Holy Trinity fails them. DC movies aren't allowed to exist without one of the Big Three being involved for some reason, but I have zero desire to ever see a ****ing Batman or Superman film again.

I suppose the way to go would be to shelve the expanded universe and also take a break from the A-list DC characters. Disney built its universe on the back of a C-list character (Iron Man), Fox is raking in the mega bucks right now with Deadpool who was also a c-list character until he wasn't. WB could take a feather out of that cap, scale down their ambitions and and focus on making a series of stand-alone, GOOD movies focused on the lesser known DC characters that have less baggage attached to them. Give me a Slade movie. Give me a John Stewart film. Nigga give me a Hawkgirl film with a GotG aesthetic.

Oh and for the love of God, stay from super-teams. Team dynamics are a pain to write properly and if the chemistry feels whack on any level the entire concept goes to shit.

I have no prob with this logic. Forget the live action and focus on the cartoon side. That is where the Real Comic Book Goodness can be found.

quanchi112

StiltmanFTW
https://tinyurl.com/ycwxreyt

Robtard
Originally posted by Tzeentch

Overall agreed, but what Marvel did extremely well, is casting these characters. Downey is the perfect Tony. Evans is the perfect Steve. Reynolds is the perfect Wade etc. If they had cast miscast early on, we'd likely not be where we are now with the MCU. Imagine if they had cast someone like Colin Firth for Tony, he's a great actor, but he doesn't fit that role.

Though I will say Caville is a good casting for Superman, his writing leaves lots to be desired though.

Flyattractor
WIth Toons. It centers on the Action and the Story. The Toons don't get Bogged down with all the emotional/relationship Nonsense.

So yes. I Prefer the Toons over So called CGI Live Action these days.

I have MY OWN Preferences. Unlike you , Quanny whom has to have your preferences Determined by General Audience Group Testing.

OH and of course You SHILLING for the Big Money.

But hey. You be YOU Quanster.

eek!

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Calm Down there Quanny Boy/Girl/It? Your grasp of English is starting to slip.

quanchi112
Calm Down there Quanny Boy/Girl/It? Your grasp of English is starting to slip. I just refuted another of your lies, loser.

Flyattractor
Sure you did Quanny. Sure you did.

quanchi112
Sure you did Quanny. Sure you did. Concession accepted.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.