Least favorite games (That everyone else likes)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Zelda, for me.

Or as I call them, "Where the #%&@ do I go now" games.

Backtrack, get lost, backtrack, get lost, backtrack, get lost. That's about 90% of the Zelda experience, and I HATE every minute of it.

At least Dragon's Dogma throws in cool boss-like encounters into your aimless wandering.

Nemesis X
Fortnite

Arachnid1
Agreed with Fortnight. I don't get it.

Also, Deadly Premonition was well reviewed, but that game was flat out ass IMO.

cdtm
Sonic games.

I never had a genesis, so maybe this is something you only get growing up with it, but I just can't get into them.

Don't even see why it has a rep for speed. Is sprinting for half a second, and stopping into an enemy supposed to be impressive? Mario has more consistent straightaways for constant sprinting then any Sonic game I played.

Also, plenty of the "where do I go now"?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Fortnite

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
Zelda, for me.

Or as I call them, "Where the #%&@ do I go now" games.

Backtrack, get lost, backtrack, get lost, backtrack, get lost. That's about 90% of the Zelda experience, and I HATE every minute of it.

At least Dragon's Dogma throws in cool boss-like encounters into your aimless wandering. Well it's also a lot easier to traverse in Dogma due to portcrystals, and besides, BoTW fixed that issue completely, its completely different then every Zelda game ever made.

Dogma does have some of the best bosses in gaming history though.

BackFire
MOBA games

Battlefield games

Battle Royale games

Most Zelda games, but I loved BotW.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by BackFire
MOBA games

Battlefield games

Battle Royale games

Most Zelda games, but I loved BotW. As for MOBA games, something like Smite would cure that, IMO it's the best MOBA ever made, and has converted people who hated games like DOTA and LoL.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Deadly Premonition was well reviewed, but that game was flat out ass IMO.

I think everyone was mainly in it for the characters. The dialogue from them is definitely unique I'll give the game that.

Kazenji
Overwatch.

ArtificialGlory
PlanetSide 2. The very definition of tedium.

-Pr-
-Any game that's based around PVP without a story mode, which usually means Battle Royale, most online shooters and MOBA-type games.
-Open-world FPS games (Far Cry). I need a third-person option.
-FP stealth games (Dishonored). Again, need that third-person option.

I've played those types of games before, and lost interest super-quickly.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
-Any game that's based around PVP without a story mode, which usually means Battle Royale, most online shooters and MOBA-type games.
-Open-world FPS games (Far Cry). I need a third-person option.
-FP stealth games (Dishonored). Again, need that third-person option.

I've played those types of games before, and lost interest super-quickly. Borderlands will fix your "need third-person option" issues. It's like Far Cry but a million times more awesome.

cdtm
Sadly, Dead Rising 1.

This is a game I really wanted to like, but it's kind of tedious if you care about actually "beating" it.

It's great just wandering around. Not so great trying to sneak survivors past those damned convinct psychopaths, or trying to use the shooter mechanics. Or simply trying to figure out why a mission won't trigger.

StyleTime
World of Warcraft
Minecraft
The Sims
Skyrim/Oblivion
GTA
Guitar Hero/Rock Band
Dance Dance Revolution
Angry Birds
Monster Hunter
Pokemon GO
Frogger
UFC games(love MMA as a sport though)

Open World/Sandbox games in general.
MMORPG's: Tried repeatedly and I never last.

NewGuy01
Assassin's Creed. Prince of Persia was better.

Kazenji
Sadly, Dead Rising 1.

This is a game I really wanted to like, but it's kind of tedious if you care about actually "beating" it.

It's great just wandering around. Not so great trying to sneak survivors past those damned convinct psychopaths, or trying to use the shooter mechanics. Or simply trying to figure out why a mission won't trigger.

Agreed, Yeah the AI with the survivors in that game was painful.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Borderlands will fix your "need third-person option" issues. It's like Far Cry but a million times more awesome.

Played that too. Didn't like it so much.

NewGuy01
Borderlands will fix your "need third-person option" issues. It's like Far Cry but a million times more awesome.

Borderlands doesn't have a third person option. Why would you say it'd fix his issue?

Trocity
Originally posted by Kazenji
Overwatch.

BackFire
Pokemon is another one for me. Never been able to get into them.

Adam Grimes
GTA and Skyrim are some examples where I simply don't see where all the praise comes from.

God of War too.

Surtur
The Gears of War games.

cdtm
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
GTA and Skyrim are some examples where I simply don't see where all the praise comes from.

God of War too.

When the biggest talking points for getting Skyrim are mods, that kind of says a lot about the base product.

I mean, nobody said "Get FTL for Captains Edition."

That was a sweet ad on that got plenty of press, but with Skyrim it's mod or go home, to listen to its fans.

Quincy
I haven't played it so I'm not sure this counts. But I have no interest in the new God of War everyone seems to be melting over

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Quincy
I haven't played it so I'm not sure this counts. But I have no interest in the new God of War everyone seems to be melting over They are melting over it because its so SO radically different then the previous entries, there are no more set levels, now it's open-world, the combat has been given a face-lift so its no longer just hacking and slashing till you win with no repercussions for ****ing up in combat, it's much harder now, and you have a companion now (your son) who helps you in combat, which was something featured in previous God of War games but was restricted to a certain level or boss fight.

Every little tiniest detail has been improved in some way, shape, or form.

Adam Grimes
I'd argue that most of what you said isn't true. Although I suspect you didn't play the game?

Quincy
I mean I never really played the other one's either. Maybe the first level of the first game?

Just doesn't seem to grab my attention

cdtm
The first Devil May Cry and Twisted Metal Black.

They were allright, but not the second coming some friends suggested...

NemeBro
Overwatch (awful piece of shit game)
Persona 3-5 (I have no opinion on the first two)
The Last of Us (don't actively dislike but my opinion of it is considerably lower than the general public's)

I'm sure there's more.

Jmanghan
I'd argue that most of what you said isn't true. Although I suspect you didn't play the game? I'd argue that what I'd say is completely and totally true, and I haven't played the game but I've watched full livestreams of it. Believe what ya want though, bud.

Adam Grimes
First it's not open world. Second it's not harder and the combat is as shallow as ever.

Kazenji
If he's finding the combat hard, Then he must suck at playing games in general.

Adam Grimes
The first Devil May Cry and Twisted Metal Black.

They were allright, but not the second coming some friends suggested... DMC is the second coming because it started the whole Action Character genre. And when it came out there was nothing quite like it in the industry.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
If he's finding the combat hard, Then he must suck at playing games in general.

The combat is hard at the earlier levels before you start getting upgrades, skills and runes. Once 25% into the game, the combat becomes a joke. I had so much XP by the end of it.

It doesn't help that the enemies stay the same throughout the entire game so I wasn't really do anything different. I was using the same techniques I learned at the start of the game.

NotAllThatEvil
I thought breath of the wild was pretty trash.

Smasandian
I think Breath of the Wild is probably the game I would add in this thread.

Even though I understand why people love it, I can't understand why people think it's one of the best games ever made. I just don't see it.

Oh well...I had fun playing it but it's an 8/10 type game.

Jmanghan
First it's not open world. Second it's not harder and the combat is as shallow as ever. I just asked and its what my friend told me when he was streaming and I was watching.

BackFire
GTA games are another for me. GTA5 was the only one I finished. And even then it got taxing. They've just never really done it for me.

Smasandian
I had that feeling with Grand Theft Auto 4. I had to will myself to finish it.

However, I played it again and I was totally fine. I'm not sure why.

My favourite thing about Grand Theft Auto is how well they nail the vibe of the game. From Vice City, San Andreas and even GTAV....it's a joy to immerse yourself in the setting. There is nothing that beats driving ridiculous fast while listening to tunes....no other open world game comes close.

BackFire
Yeah the atmosphere is always really well done, they capture the feel of whatever location the game takes place in to near perfection. Also the characters are usually great and fun.

The gameplay itself and the mission structure is what I usually get bored with.

cdtm
DMC is the second coming because it started the whole Action Character genre. And when it came out there was nothing quite like it in the industry.

Hmm, pretty much true. Aside from Fighting Force, there wasn't really anything..

Even at the time, I felt it was rough around the edges though. And I don't just mean mechanics, I thought the heavy emphasis on combining just to combo was a turn off..

Later games like God of War and Ninja Gaiden refined the formula, and made them into fun experiences.

Adam Grimes
Tbh GTA always tries too hard for my taste.

cdtm
Went back into Metroid Prime.

Yep, still don't like it. Most "challenge" happens for all the wrong reasons. Camera issues, so you misjudge a jump, how far away something like Omega Pirate is, or are unable to keep track of the phason pools to the side. And the controls are all wrong, with the "Morph" button getting in the way when you're trying to shoot/charge and hop at the same time, so "whoops, morphed".

Sure, you can eventually learn around those issues, but that doesn't make it not bad design..

Ridley_Prime
The camera or morph ball button never really got in my way like that. Using Gamecube controller or Wiimote? Am mostly used to the former, so I can't speak as much for the latter, but regarding the Omega Pirate, I will say that him being able to summon those troopers while he's regenerating was overkill; speaking mostly from experience with the hardest difficulty level and my one low item % playthrough attempt, but still. **** that guy. Had a cool music theme, at least.

Jmanghan
Tbh GTA always tries too hard for my taste. "Tries too hard".

Not sure what you mean, but alright.

Adam Grimes
It tries too hard to be a satire and ends up being a tasteless parody for edgy kids. Imo.

cdtm
If GTA is parody for edgy kids, then what does that make Devil May Cry? evil face

Adam Grimes
The action series with the most complex and rewarding combat system outside fighting games which has a heart GTA wishes it had. thumb up

Jmanghan
It tries too hard to be a satire and ends up being a tasteless parody for edgy kids. Imo. I thought it was hilarious and well-written.

It's supposed to be a satire of our real world in everything it does, the whole joke is that Franklin and Michael are normal while everyone else is annoying and crazy, I think it's done very well.

Also, Trevor was hilarious, the 7 dollars bit with Franklin's auntie was crackin me up.

Arachnid1
I thought it was hilarious and well-written.

It's supposed to be a satire of our real world in everything it does, the whole joke is that Franklin and Michael are normal while everyone else is annoying and crazy, I think it's done very well.

Also, Trevor was hilarious, the 7 dollars bit with Franklin's auntie was crackin me up. Agreed. I like the satirical take on normal people GTA gives. It's the same kind of humor as Arrested Development, and IMO one of the best ways to do comedy.

GTA has it's fair share of misses, but when it hits, it hits hard.

cdtm
Multiplayer games.

You buy into it for the characters or themes, and discover everything you like isn't viable. Winning at any cost becomes the point, and you realize you could as easily be playing around with multi-colored lines on a black background, as long as you have a good win/loss record.

And then you ask why you're bothering.

Inhuman
Fortnite - Causal Trash

Final Fantasy games, or similar games were you have 5 minute cutscenes every 10 minutes. Want to play not watch a movie.

Console games - Don't hold my interest like when I was younger. Also controller = Garbo.

NemeBro
Yeah I'm not big on Fortnite myself. I wouldn't say the game is bad, but it is very average for such a gigantically popular game.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Inhuman

Also controller = Garbo.

Still need to use one when on PC

i couldn't care less personally as i can use both the controller and Keyboard & mouse.

Adam Grimes
Fortnite - Causal Trash

Final Fantasy games, or similar games were you have 5 minute cutscenes every 10 minutes. Want to play not watch a movie.

Console games - Don't hold my interest like when I was younger. Also controller = Garbo. Tumblr guy in a nutshell

Jmanghan
Fortnite - Causal Trash

Console games - Don't hold my interest like when I was younger. Also controller = Garbo. The original Dissidia games will do you justice, the new one might also do you justice but I don't like it as much, if you're a fan of online, get the new one, but if you enjoy a fighting game with legitimately astronomically overwhelming content, get the originals, they have as much content as the Smash Bros. games, IIRC, if not more. Hell there's even a quest creation mode where you can create your own dialog, letter-by-letter.

Jmanghan
Fortnite - Causal Trash

Console games - Don't hold my interest like when I was younger. Also controller = Garbo. Console games?...

So you only ever enjoy games that were released exclusively on PC? Which is a very rare occurrence in this day and age.

cdtm
I play plenty of pc games with a controller.

Hooked up to a tv, like a console.

Not contradicting him, to each his own, it's just funny how I've gone the opposite direction. I think my favorite thing to play is a PS2 slim... Games hit that sweet spot between depth and simplicity.

I mean, your Skyrims are certainly fun, but not exactly relaxing in the same way Arc the Lad or Okami is.

Adam Grimes
Only a casual who has never played a game outside shooters would say that controllers are inherently garbage. Hell, even TPSs are better suited to play with a joistick lol.

Inhuman
Console games?...

So you only ever enjoy games that were released exclusively on PC? Which is a very rare occurrence in this day and age.

I used to game on console when I was younger. Now I don't see the point. I like different types of games. There are thousands of games on Steam, Origin, Battle.net, etc.
I do have a Switch though because I can actually play some type of games that I cant on my PC. All the other type of games I enjoy I can just play better versions on PC. Better controls, better online play, Online is free as well, better downloadable content (constant patches, maps, mods, characters, etc.)

Not a graphics whore but even the new PS5 of Next Xbox will be outdated the day the are released. They will already be released with outdated hardware. All Sony and Microsoft are doing now are trying to make their systems Jr. Pc's.

Games are usually cheaper to purchase as well.

I don't play fighters, or Sports games or turn based RPG's. Even strictly single players games don't hold my interest like they used to besides a some like Breath of the Wild.

Games like God of War don't interest me. I watched some one play though it on Twitch. It was meh imo.

PC/Switch best combo. Get best of both worlds. thumb up

Only a casual who has never played a game outside shooters would say that controllers are inherently garbage. Hell, even TPSs are better suited to play with a joistick lol.

Yes, I play a lot of FPS's. There is no other option other than a mouse & k/b if you want gameplay that isn't slow as fuk. Whether it be aiming turning around, field of view is all slow and not as precise.

Casual is flavor of the month shit like Fortnite that even kids people on cell phones can play.

Other games I enjoy, like Diablo, MMORG's, Skyrim, GTA, RTS's are inferior on controllers.

Only games that are better on a controller are fighters, 2d/3d platformers, Sports games and turn based RPG's.

Fight me.

NewGuy01
why are turn based rpg's better with a controller?

Inhuman
Originally posted by NewGuy01
why are turn based rpg's better with a controller?

Dunno, I guess slower paced. When you battle you can do all your combos and healing , spells, going into menus etc with just button pushes.

Walking around is also similar to a 3d platformer so that would work well with a controller.

Trocity
Minecraft
Overwatch
Ark: Shitvival Evolved
R6 Siege
Warframe
Destiny
Monster Hunter World
Far Cry

BackFire
I've always had trouble getting into the older Bioware games like Balders Gate, Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR.

Kazenji

Greatly exaggerating there, The Final Fantasy games aren't quite that bad when it comes to cutscenes

go play a game from Quantic Dream, What they've put out they're more interactive movies more so then games.

victreebelvictr
minit just came out on the switch, 79 on metacritic too. looks good.

cdtm
Twisted Metal games.

Could never get into them. Back in the day, everyone raved about Black, but I just never saw it.

Same thing for Tekken. I preferred VF4: Evo.

cdtm
Guess you can add Jrpg's to the list.

Not sure when it happened, but after about 20-30 minutes of aimless wandering and turn based same 'ol, I get bored.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.