DOOM: Eternal

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Sequel to the 2016 reboot and it's set on Earth. Get hyped.

rFNXxhgTLCg

Tzeentch
But is Doomguy being replaced with a woman of color? If not then you can get this toxic male power fantasy garbage out of my face.

Kazenji
Trolls keep on trolling....

Tzeentch
What did I tell you about speaking before being spoken too, Nigel?

cdtm
Doom fans themselves added Doomgirl into some source ports, complete with unique sound effects.

Equal opportunity fragging.

Ridley_Prime
I hope Samuel Hayden is the one behind the attempted invasion of earth so you'll have an excuse to fight him.

Nemesis X
h0Bx4G3bOu4

2mnOezNIjQg

Nemesis X
A new mode has been announced that will have you and friends invading a player's campaign together as demons.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/10/17675042/doom-eternal-gameplay-trailer-quakecon-2018-video-watch

Smasandian
Game looks good but it didn't really get me excited. I don't know why.....

BackFire
Same.

Probably because it looks like more of the same, which is fine, but it's hard to get terribly excited about seeing a video showing that.

Ridley_Prime
When a game sequel uses the same engine as its predecessor, it's kind of expected tbh, though nothing one should really gripe that much about. I mean if Eternal gives you the same kind of adrenaline rushes from playing as Doom 2016, then there's nothing wrong with some of it being more of the same. thumb up

The silent protagonist badassery in Phobos as well as the melee weapon moment (cool ending there with the Arch-Vile, btw) was what made today's showing worth watching for me, though.

Smasandian
I don't agree with that at all. There is a ton of sequels that utilize the same engine but do something different.

These gameplay videos are lame. It was just rinse and repeat.....shoot a guy, turns blue, execute him. I've done that already in Doom....I need something more than that.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
When a game sequel uses the same engine as its predecessor, it's kind of expected tbh, though nothing one should really gripe that much about. I mean if Eternal gives you the same kind of adrenaline rushes from playing as Doom 2016, then there's nothing wrong with some of it being more of the same. thumb up

The silent protagonist badassery in Phobos as well as the melee weapon moment (cool ending there with the Arch-Vile, btw) was what made today's showing worth watching for me, though.

Don't mistake my comment as criticism towards the actual game. It's not. I'm fine with it looking a lot like the last doom and will likely buy it and enjoy it on day one. My point was simply that watching a video of such an experience isn't terribly exciting.

Smasandian
Yes, I agree. I wasn't a huge fan of the last Doom but I can understand why people enjoyed the hell out of it.

I honestly believe they showed a terrible cross section of gameplay. I know most of the enemy types were zombies but it doesn't show well.

But...this is coming from a guy who really enjoyed Doom 3.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, I get where y'all are coming from with the repetition of watching gameplay, but it's not like there wasn't some new stuff as well.

In all fairness, I'd expect there will be at least as much new stuff (weapons, enemy types) as there was from original Doom to Doom II, and Doom 3 to Resurrection of Evil.

The new mode where you can invade a player's campaign as demons has me a bit intrigued as well.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Smasandian
I don't agree with that at all. There is a ton of sequels that utilize the same engine but do something different.

These gameplay videos are lame. It was just rinse and repeat.....shoot a guy, turns blue, execute him. I've done that already in Doom....I need something more than that. t. guy who buys FIFA every year

Smasandian
Sure.....I buy FIFA every year?

Khazra Reborn
This game looks phucking awesome. Fight me.

Kazenji
Noticing its alot more like the older Doom's having you to look for the ammo & health, Rather then do a fatality move on the enemies like the previous game to get alot of that sort of stuff.

Jmanghan
Sure.....I buy FIFA every year? Also said Kingdom Come: Deliverance combat looked boring when it's fun as all hell.

Smasandian
I didn't say boring. I just said more of the same.

I'm criticizing the videos themselves....not the game.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Kazenji
Noticing its alot more like the older Doom's having you to look for the ammo & health, Rather then do a fatality move on the enemies like the previous game to get alot of that sort of stuff.
The glory kills on enemies didnt give you that much health honestly. There was definitely still use for health packs, but if theyre upping the difficulty here by giving you less for melee kills, can live with that too.

Flyattractor
SHould have been called Eternal Doom!

Smasandian
Yes, Eternal Doom is a much better name!

Tzeentch
Sure.....I buy FIFA every year? If you've bought any sports game iteration twice in a five year span my point stands you animal

Ridley_Prime
Suppose I should leave this here...

https://i.imgur.com/THetdXU.jpg

cdtm
Doom/Doom II is the only Doom worth playing.

Kazenji
So says the hipster.

cdtm
So says the hipster.

So says the authentic old guy, who was playing around with his nes/psx consoles
and never once considered them "retro". smile

I'm so old, when I played Doom, I used a flight stick. None of that newfangled wsad mouse look.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by cdtm
So says the authentic old guy, who was playing around with his nes/psx consoles
and never once considered them "retro". smile

I'm so old, when I played Doom, I used a flight stick. None of that newfangled wsad mouse look.

So you're a hipster, then 😁

cdtm
Hipsters are kids, pretending to like their parents great grandparents things.

Kazenji
Still makes you a hipster.

Jmanghan
Doom/Doom II is the only Doom worth playing. Dude most of the time I can banter with you on Dragon's Dogma, but saying DOOM is shit is just crossing the line, it's a massive achievement that pretty much every classic DOOM fan loved.

Ridley_Prime
More on topic, this game is, naturally, getting some controversy among some people due to how it parodies political correctness. i.e.

"Remember, demon is an offensive term. Please refer to them as 'mortally challenged'."

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe."

Basically, the in-game PSA's saying that political correctness let the demons invade earth... It is kind of an on-the-nose reference or jab to immigration policies, tho I don't mind it being the premise to this essential Doom II reboot.

It is kinda interesting how they're going there IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing some subplot about some group of humans trying to fight for demons' rights, and how it backfires. lol

In the end though, the UAC have kinda always been the real bad guys, who want to extract Hell energy no matter the cost or casualties, and so they may just be trying to downplay demons (comparing them to minorities or somesuch) to gain sympathy.

It's an interesting contrast to some real life shit going on, regardless. Perhaps the biggest parody in all of this, is that the Doom universe's big corporation (UAC) would rather harvest Hell energy than utilize more nature friendly energies.

cdtm
More on topic, this game is, naturally, getting some controversy among some people due to how it parodies political correctness. i.e.

"Remember, demon is an offensive term. Please refer to them as 'mortally challenged'."

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe."

Basically, the in-game PSA's saying that political correctness let the demons invade earth... It is kind of an on-the-nose reference or jab to immigration policies, tho I don't mind it being the premise to this essential Doom II reboot.

It is kinda interesting how they're going there IMO. Wouldn't mind seeing some subplot about some group of humans trying to fight for demons' rights, and how it backfires. lol

In the end though, the UAC have kinda always been the real bad guys, who want to extract Hell energy no matter the cost or casualties, and so they may just be trying to downplay demons (comparing them to minorities or somesuch) to gain sympathy.

It's an interesting contrast to some real life shit going on, regardless. Perhaps the biggest parody in all of this, is that the Doom universe's big corporation (UAC) would rather harvest Hell energy than utilize more nature friendly energies.

Unless you're writing South Park, you shouldn't do social commentary. It's always painful, and it dates the product.

Jmanghan
CGq8Ee2gOe4

NemeBro
Doom/Doom II is the only Doom worth playing. Doom 2016 is better though.

cdtm
Originally posted by NemeBro
Doom 2016 is better though.

Depends on your definition, I guess.

I only played the Demo, and in terms of gameplay.. it's alright.

Don't really see how it stands out over, say, every shooter from 1994 onward. I prefer the original System Shock myself, as best fps ever made, but it hasn't aged too well.

The thing about Doom classic, is the mods are SO good. And I don't mean gameplay changes either, I mean community maps.. The type that top loads in a ridiculous amount of mobs.

Gameplay in those is pure non stop adrenaline unlike any other fps can really put out. No reloading, no stopping to move for a second, enough sprites to break a 2000 pc.

"But those are mods."

Fair enough. The core gameplay in Thy Flesh Consumed and Doom II is still just s better pure fps experience, imo. No gimmicks, no fancy pants animations or weapons, no real story, no stopping to think. It's like a bullet hell shmup in 3d.

That's not something you can say about peers of the day, like Duke Nukem 3d, Serious Sam, Shadow Warrior.. They all had some stupid gimmick or cheap design choices that made it less of a bullet hell rush, and more of a some combination of tactical gameplay, or out and out cheapness (Hitscan characters from waaaay across the map picking you off, for example.)

NemeBro
Depends on your definition, I guess.

I only played the Demo lol

Jmanghan
I didn't say boring. I just said more of the same.

I'm criticizing the videos themselves....not the game. Originally posted by Smasandian
The game does not look fun at all.

cdtm
Originally posted by NemeBro
lol

Yeah, crazy. Forming an opinion of a game based on a demo. Who does that? Who assumes a demo is supposed to inform someone of the game, before buying?

You sure burned me. thumb up

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan

Your point?

Ridley_Prime
Rp86S-TxE_M

Angels? Hello! The new weapons and stuff look great too...

Jmanghan
Rp86S-TxE_M

Angels? Hello! The new weapons and stuff look great too... I want some ****ing sword gameplay before the game comes out.

Nemesis X
Everything about it is awesome. I'd be lying though if I said the release date wasn't a bummer. Thought it'd be out sooner by like August, not November T-T

Ridley_Prime
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-08-doom-eternal-delayed-until-march-2020

F

Now I have nothing new to really look forward to in November, at least to this level.

Ridley_Prime
FkklG9MA0vM

thumb up

cdtm
Can't ignore the fact the grappling hook is an outright ripoff of Bulletstorms thing.

Ridley_Prime
https://i.imgur.com/noaB9YG.gif

Nemesis X
Can't ignore the fact the grappling hook is an outright ripoff of Bulletstorms thing.

You can't swing in Bulletstorm or pull yourself into the enemy. The least you can do is play the game before you claim it's being ripped off, loser.

cdtm
Originally posted by Nemesis X
You can't swing in Bulletstorm or pull yourself into the enemy. The least you can do is play the game before you claim it's being ripped off, loser.

Yes, it's a poor man's ripoff. A little from Bulletstorms offense, a bit from Metroid.

I liked the first one, but too many things turn me off about this game. Axing Snapmaps, for example.

Kazenji

Here we go again....

Nemesis X
Yes, it's a poor man's ripoff. A little from Bulletstorms offense, a bit from Metroid.

I liked the first one, but too many things turn me off about this game. Axing Snapmaps, for example.

"Guys, I think Halo is ripping off Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, using a universal item throughout most games: the gun" is what I hear. And Doom doesn't even use the grapple hook the same way as Bulletstorm. You tried.

cdtm
You've certainly got me on making false dichotomy's.

May as well compare Mario jumping to Sonic's spin dash. One is in every platformer ever, the other is pretty unique.

Not too many fps use a grapple in an offensive capacity.

Nemesis X
You've certainly got me on making false dichotomy's.

May as well compare Mario jumping to Sonic's spin dash. One is in every platformer ever, the other is pretty unique.

Not too many fps use a grapple in an offensive capacity.

It's still a common-as-hell item throughout gaming, the genre irrelevent. Get off this baiting attempt, make friends at recess.

Smasandian
This isn't the first time a Doom game has used another mechanic.

The expansion pack for Doom 3 had a rip off Half Life 2 gravity gun...called the Ionized Plasma Levitator.

If it's fun, who cares. The new Star Wars game plays like Tomb Raider met up with Dark Souls and its a ****ing blast.....

cdtm
This isn't the first time a Doom game has used another mechanic.

The expansion pack for Doom 3 had a rip off Half Life 2 gravity gun...called the Ionized Plasma Levitator.

If it's fun, who cares. The new Star Wars game plays like Tomb Raider met up with Dark Souls and its a ****ing blast.....

eek!

Khazra Reborn

cdtm
https://steamcommunity.com/app/379720/discussions/0/1499000547476824068/

Interesting review of 2016 Doom:

cdtm
https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/doom-eternal-hands-on-gameplay/?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D

Looks like they followed the Doom II playbook of excess = sequel.

Not my idea of fun, nor I'd imagine a lot of people which is why Doom II is only really played for mods, and not the campaign. And no mod support, so..

I'm out.

Nemesis X
I'm out.

Stop. Don't. Come back e_e

Ridley_Prime
That pcgamer first impressions review reminds me of the journalists who were terrible at Doom 2016 when we had to watch their awful attempts on the first level before the game was out. Seeing similar deja vu as far as that too with the recent gameplay videos of this game.

Eternal's campaign is said to apparently be twice as long as Doom 2016's, so I can understand the Doom II comparison as far as length, but I didn't really have a problem with II aside from the outdated design of the final boss/level. Basically git gud and play the game in short bursts if you have to as opposed to burning yourself out.

Kazenji
That final boss from Doom 2 , They do alot more with it in Brutal Doom's campaign.

Khazra Reborn
https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/doom-eternal-hands-on-gameplay/?usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D

Not my idea of fun, nor I'd imagine a lot of people which is why Doom II is only really played for mods, and not the campaign. And no mod support, so..

I'm out.

That sounds amazing. The reviewer is a pussy

cdtm
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

I'm out.

That sounds amazing. The reviewer is a pussy

Haha could be.

cdtm
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-director-doom-2016-is-rock-music-this-is-speed-metal/

Resource management? Punishing "playing wrong"?

This sounds like the direct opposite of fun.

It sure don't sound like Doom, that's for sure.

And besides, I never leaned on the super shotgun, don't know what they're on about. The Gattling Gun and Plasma Cannon was where it was at. Or the rail gun for those snipes.

cdtm
h0Bx4G3bOu4

2mnOezNIjQg

Is this a Brutal Doom mod?

All they need is an ultragib setting painting the walls.

No wonder they cut mod support, they just don't want Brutal modders stealing their thunder at taking it to 11.

Kazenji
Wouldn't be surprised if Brutal Doom was an inspiration for these newer Doom games.

cdtm
I should replay that with the Doom II wad.

Freedoom always has a few glitchy animations from the Freedoom sprites that peek through.

Kazenji
Haven't tried out Freedoom, I just came across Knee-Deep in ZDoom yesterday a reinterpretation of the first episode from Doom 1.

cdtm
Haven't tried out Freedoom, I just came across Knee-Deep in ZDoom yesterday a reinterpretation of the first episode from Doom 1.

Well, if you ever downloaded the pre packed and ready to play Brutal Doom He'll On Earth Starter Pack from mod sites, that comes with Freedoom as the base wad.

Of course you can just get Freedoom and Freedoom II from their site directly.

I mostly used Freedoom for total conversion mods that required Doom II, ike Brutal, Complex Doom, or Death4told. Out of the box Freedoom uses its own custom sprites, but the wads are 100% compatible with map packs and mods.

It also has its own levels, which honestly aren't bad.

But now that I own Doom II, there's no need for it.

Give it a go someday, if only to see the various fan sprites.

cdtm
Also have you played Complex Doom?

Sort of an alternative Brutal Doom, with a nice unique beasties and randomness where every single mob can potentially spawn a souped up "Legendary" variation.

cdtm
**** Doom, the sequel we all want is Ion Fury.

That was was WAY better then Doom 2016, and for my money the best fps of the past decade.

Ridley_Prime
https://twitter.com/moosemcg/status/1225141308383092736?s=21

cdtm
https://twitter.com/moosemcg/status/1225141308383092736?s=21

Good news if true.

Release a modding kit and I'd buy a copy just to support the communities.

cdtm
Duke Nukem Forever didn't have mod support either.

In fact, even Duke Nukem 3d World Tour started out incompatible with Eduke32.

What's with this trend of anti community behavior? Don't they know a large part of Skyrims success is because of the mod community keeping the game alive well past the point people would normally become bored of it?

I mean, sure, they probably want to sell their own dlc, but user generated content and official expansions have co-existed just fine. Everyone will always open the wallet for official content anyways, no matter how good the fan maps and mods are.

Nemesis X
vnQIMtcSS7k

3HtrnpVsMck

cdtm
laughing Brony appeal now. How low have you sunk, Doom?

cdtm
Unicorns. "Customisation". "Brutal" difficulty.

More stupid gimmicks. 2016 Doom wasn't even all that good in terms of level design, and it looks like they're out of tricks, with nothing to offer but "More dakka".

A pathetic last gasp from a dying franchise.

Nemesis X
Oh. Ouch. Someone who always says something negative about literally anything brought up on this forum is insulting something and it's not at all stale. The feels hursties, broken is everybody.

Ridley_Prime
Doom 2016's customization was actually decent. This will no doubt be a step up even with some silly aesthetic options added. The weapon customization is where it's really at though since it's what you see most of the time when playing.

A dying franchise? The series has been doing the best it has in a long time. Certainly better than how it fared in the Doom 3 era, although I liked Doom 3 for different reasons, but it wasn't the same run and gun experience.

The Doom 64 port getting a new episode is nice too, but campaign-wise they'll probably peak with Eternal. They took the reception and criticisms with Doom 2016's campaign and improved upon it here like tenfold.

cdtm
Doom 2016's customization was actually decent. This will no doubt be a step up even with some silly aesthetic options added. The weapon customization is where it's really at though since it's what you see most of the time when playing.

A dying franchise? The series has been doing the best it has in a long time. Certainly better than how it fared in the Doom 3 era, although I liked Doom 3 for different reasons, but it wasn't the same run and gun experience.

The Doom 64 port getting a new episode is nice too, but campaign-wise they'll probably peak with Eternal. They took the reception and criticisms with Doom 2016's campaign and improved upon it here like tenfold.

I dunno man, a dev was talking about how OP the double barrel shotgun was.

Talks of balancing are NOT a good sign! This is Doom. Who on earth talks about balance in Doom?

Bethesda has been on thin ice for awhile now, if Doom 2016 was good, I have a feeling it's not by their design choices, but in spite of it.

cdtm
Oh. Ouch. Someone who always says something negative about literally anything brought up on this forum is insulting something and it's not at all stale. The feels hursties, broken is everybody.

That's not true! I had nothing but good things to say about Hyper Light Drifter.

Except for its unbalanced difficulty and control problems.

I'm sure there's something I haven't criticised.

Ridley_Prime
I dunno man, a dev was talking about how OP the double barrel shotgun was.

Talks of balancing are NOT a good sign! This is Doom. Who on earth talks about balance in Doom?

Bethesda has been on thin ice for awhile now, if Doom 2016 was good, I have a feeling it's not by their design choices, but in spite of it.
That's fair, though would say Id Software has a kind of integrity and transparency that the rest of Bethesda does not. They're kinda keeping Bethesda afloat and the moment no thanks to Todd Howard and such but eh...

That aside, final trailer for the game I guess dropped today.

F0tekG2XP_A

The Icon of Sin as a giant demon with a more or less full body is a welcome change here. Nostalgia doesn't blind me from how terribly designed its original boss fight was in Doom II.

cdtm
vqduGTChT5U

Each monster is a chess piece on a board?

Is this Halo? What an awful thing to say about Doom, touting "strategy".

It sounds like they went the "bullet sponge" route, with a dab of Metroid Prime's weakness system.

Even worse is all the goddamned upgrades, as if an overly complex mess keeping you from slaying demons is a good thing.

Nemesis X
cdtm grasping at straws lol

Smasandian
I'm not sure I understand the points.

cdtm
I'm not sure I understand the points.

Watch the review. Everything about it is wrong.

So many upgrades, your upgrades have upgrades, he says. In other words, it has an overly complex and convoluted upgrade system. This is a bad thing.

Monsters are puzzles, needing strategy and the right weapons to defeat. This is a TERRIBLE thing. Doom is not a puzzle game. Doom is an adrenaline soaked frag fest.

Monsters take much more damage. Even Cacodemons are a threat. This is the WORST thing. Bullet sponges are the absolute WORST way to increaee difficulty in an FPS. F.E.A.R. never made enemies hard by increasing how many bullets they can take to the head. They did difficulty the right way, with better AI and game design.

Complex tech trees, strategic encounters, and wall to wall bullet sponges is the antithesis of Doom. I may as well be playing Halo.

Smasandian
No, I understand the points but why you are crying about it.

- upgrades exist in all games now. Doom 2016 had them.
- monsters need a bit of strategy to kill them is a good thing.

But my biggest misunderstanding is that you complain they are bullet sponges...and they need strategy to kill. What else is there? You can't have both.

And Doom has always been about bullet sponge. This a core tenant of the original Doom. There was strategy guides that outline how many hits a enemy had to take before dying..based on each weapon.

cdtm
No, I understand the points but why you are crying about it.

- upgrades exist in all games now. Doom 2016 had them.
- monsters need a bit of strategy to kill them is a good thing.

But my biggest misunderstanding is that you complain they are bullet sponges...and they need strategy to kill. What else is there? You can't have both.

And Doom has always been about bullet sponge. This a core tenant of the original Doom. There was strategy guides that outline how many hits a enemy had to take before dying..based on each weapon.

Not at all.

Doom I and 2, imps, Cacodemons, Pinky's, even Revenants were tough because of their placement and numbers, and not because they soaked up damage. The higher end demons like Mancubus could take more, but you had better guns by then to cut them down, "Dead Simple" was easy to frag one harder to clear the room.

Doom 2016 continued this trend. A Cacodemon who eats shotgun shells would ruin the game.

Nemesis X
Watch the review. Everything about it is wrong.

So many upgrades, your upgrades have upgrades, he says. In other words, it has an overly complex and convoluted upgrade system. This is a bad thing.

Monsters are puzzles, needing strategy and the right weapons to defeat. This is a TERRIBLE thing. Doom is not a puzzle game. Doom is an adrenaline soaked frag fest.

Monsters take much more damage. Even Cacodemons are a threat. This is the WORST thing. Bullet sponges are the absolute WORST way to increaee difficulty in an FPS. F.E.A.R. never made enemies hard by increasing how many bullets they can take to the head. They did difficulty the right way, with better AI and game design.

Complex tech trees, strategic encounters, and wall to wall bullet sponges is the antithesis of Doom. I may as well be playing Halo.

So upgrades are a problem now. Making 'em cooler is a problem. K. And the only thing "convuluted" is choosing which upgrade gets added in your current playthrough. Just go with what you like, bruh.

"Needing the right weapons to defeat"? It's Doom. There is no right weapon, no wrong weapon either. Just because the reviewer went the easy way using ice grenades, the game's not telling you use only the ice grenades. Preferences, man! Get some!

Yeah you really dunno what you're saying, you do and you're trolling, or you let mods like Brutal Doom skewer your vision of the original and overreact in the most tryhard way you can.

cdtm
Stop with the strawmen, or twisting my words.

Better yet actually read my posts and address my points.

Death Stranding has upgrades. So does Skyrim. One is better then the other. Can you guess which?

Here's a hint:

uYbl66iLRxk

Nemesis X
So you don't like Doom having upgrades that you're having raging diarrhea about being complicated but you like Death Stranding's. And you said you aren't trying to troll. Tsk tsk.

cdtm
Sharp as a bowling ball, Nemsis X.

cdtm
And good luck with your paid shill gig.

No one can be so defensive against criticism, unless he was trying to sell you something.

Or was an unstable fanboy.

You could be either, or, or both at this point.

Nemesis X
And good luck with your paid shill gig.

No one can be so defensive against criticism, unless he was trying to sell you something.

Or was an unstable fanboy.

You could be either, or, or both at this point.

And I'm sure you constantly using Skyrim as reference for the bad stuff doesn't make you look like Bethesda's rival paying ya either if we're gonna be this petty in our arguments now.

cdtm
This isn't an argument. This is you having a hissy fit every time someone makes legitimate criticisms against your precious Nu Doom.

For some reason. Can't say I ever got this worked up over someone elses opinion, as most stable people would not.

Nemesis X
https://i.imgur.com/FeBnNs1.png

cdtm
Because I'm toally playing Brutal Doom.

Now, BEAUTIFUL Doom on the other hand..

cdtm
One of these days I do need to try out those Pillowbiter mods though.

Saw a hilarious video of someone trying Russian Overkill to Complex Doom with the LCA add on.

cdtm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmqWSZpgJY&app=desktop

Digital Foundry breaks down the impressive technology behind the game.

I also have a few comments from people who regret the purchase, just to prove it's not just me. But I've harped on that enough..

I'll admit it is a very impressive engine.

Estacado

Estacado
Just beat the game still have to revisit 2 levels for collectibles.

The last boss fight was one of the easiest ever I was surprised considering how difficult some fights van get even on the lowest setting...

Great game overall..

cdtm
Originally posted by Estacado
Just beat the game still have to revisit 2 levels for collectibles.

The last boss fight was one of the easiest ever I was surprised considering how difficult some fights van get even on the lowest setting...

Great game overall..

Huh, easy final boss.

Do the later levels in general show a lack of care compared to earlier ones?

Could be a sign of rushed deadlines.

Ridley_Prime
Am on the last few levels now, taking my time with the secrets and everything, so I'll be the judge of that I guess. Hasn't really been strategy so much as it has different weapons being more effective against different enemies, but that's nothing new.

An easy final boss? Surprising to hear, but I'll take that over one that's hard for the wrong reasons. i.e. Doom II's Icon of Sin.

Estacado
The last boss area is filled with bfg ammo and swords...its Super easy...

Ridley_Prime
I guess it got a little simpler once I had a handle on what I was doing and got in the habit of using the crucible blade more, but it was still really engaging, even so.

The Kahn Makyr I would say was decently harder though, which evened it out.

Estacado
For some reason gunpletionist trophy is glitched for me I cant unlock it....sad

Easy tipp against Marauder...get close wait till he attacks use Super shotgun, Quick switch to ballist after Super shotgun again repeat 3-5 times and he is dead...

Estacado
Also you get way too many suit points, weapon points, sentinel batteries....etc so dont be afraid to use them...I have everything unlocked and still have a lot of remaining of the mentioned..

Ridley_Prime
For some reason gunpletionist trophy is glitched for me I cant unlock it....sad

Easy tipp against Marauder...get close wait till he attacks use Super shotgun, Quick switch to ballist after Super shotgun again repeat 3-5 times and he is dead...
Damn, sorry to hear. Playing the xbox version and just got the gunpletionist last night. Collecting the master tokens really saves you from doing most of the grinding for the weapon mastery. Game really respects your time in that sense.

Now am doing the extra lives mode so I can get the one for completing the game with at least 10 lives, though shame you have to start another file for it. So far have only lost one life a couple levels in, though apparently you can dashboard and resume checkpoint to prevent losing any. Doing the secret encounters and slayer gates again too so I can get more of them weapon points sooner...

And yeah, I had occasionally been doing that against Marauder whenever I was low on shotgun ammo.

Estacado
There is already a 1 hour speed run out there....

It would be nice to have a training mode...

The game has many glitches...

Didn't get the trophy cause it didn't register me unlock the last upgrade for ballista...it even shows it in the milestones that its incomplete..

I noticed that if you go back for the collectibles and quit before finishing the mission it saves the collectibles but it wont save the secret encounters....

For example after unlocking all secrets I replayed a mission but quit before finishing it. The mission select screen says i didn't complete the encounters. If I start the mission the map shows I already did them.

w2B6FFsKcM0

Ridley_Prime
It may not be glitches so much as just weird design choice on what the game does and doesnt automatically save. Remember having to redo my weapon mastery stuff in Doom 2016 because I quit out on the first level after doing so, but then when I did it again followed by running through the rest of the level, it saved it then. :/ At least you still have a chance at getting gunpletionist, inconvenient as that is with the ballista, but is only one weapon thankfully.

Estacado
Lmao game is glitched as hell Im still playing offline.

So extra life Mode doesnt supposed to have a mission select
..load your first run through quit the game go back to the second playthrough (extra life) and you have access to mission select...

Farm up the extra lives on lvl 1 and its a walk in the park...

cdtm
Am really glad I passed on this, judging by the comments.

90 bucks for a glitchy piece of crap? Shut up and take my money!

Estacado
Havent noticed any ingame bugs though...

Also why is every thread basically you b1tchin about everything?

cdtm
https://www.pcgamer.com/hdr-in-doom-eternal-is-hell-and-not-in-a-good-way/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuMVQ50usls&app=desktop

If everything wasn't so bad, there would be no need to complain.

Smasandian
Oh my god..some dude on Youtube thinks that game is crap!! This means its all bad right!!

Nemesis X
One bug I'm encountering is when I whip out the sword in my fortress. Soon as I unequip the sucker, the game crashes lol

Nemesis X
Oh my god..some dude on Youtube thinks that game is crap!! This means its all bad right!!

He be just trolling, dude. The mods in the anime forum don't give him as much free reign there anymore so he comes here a lot.

cdtm
Oh no, someone has a different opinion then me, he must be a troll.

laughing Hilarious fanboys.

cdtm

Ridley_Prime
Am really glad I passed on this, judging by the comments.

90 bucks for a glitchy piece of crap? Shut up and take my money!
I mean Skyrim at launch had how many glitches? And was/is still considered one of the best games of all time.

Speaking of, Doom has established itself as Bethesda's 3rd biggest IP now, behind only Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Eternal broke the franchise record opening, doubling the revenue of Doom 2016.

Despite your usual posting here and cherrypicking certain reviews/comments apart from the majority of positive ones in the case of this game, I figured Eternal would be successful with how much it had riding on it, but doing this well is even more than I expected; pretty wild considering the shaky ground Doom was still on just a few years ago.

I get where you and some are coming from though on strategy and Doom not mixing too well, after fighting the gladiator demon boss again last night on extra lives mode and being reminded how the first phase was. While the Marauder I didn't mind at first, he overstayed his welcome with the repeated encounters. The Doom Hunter felt more like a proper Doom enemy as far as fighting against at least. Him I didn't mind facing again here and there as he didn't really interrupt the flow in comparison. The other bosses were solid though between the Kahn Makyr and Icon of Sin, the latter of which was like Doom II in the sense of fighting a giant demon while dealing with hordes of enemies but better designed.

Now that they've done their modern spin on Doom II though, as well as the love nods to Doom 64 with the unlockable Unmaker weapon, I don't know what to expect for a future game/story setting after this. Retelling Doom 3 perhaps? Regardless, excellent how they connected it all together now as far as the lore.

Estacado
Just finished Super gore nest once you get the hang of it the game becomes much easier.

I think I was overreacting my first playthrough....

Still if you dont pay attention it is pretty easy to get killed.

What's your fave weapon Ridley?

Smasandian
I mean Skyrim at launch had how many glitches? And was/is still considered one of the best games of all time.

Speaking of, Doom has established itself as Bethesda's 3rd biggest IP now, behind only Elder Scrolls and Fallout. Eternal broke the franchise record opening, doubling the revenue of Doom 2016.

Despite your usual posting here and cherrypicking certain reviews/comments apart from the majority of positive ones in the case of this game, I figured Eternal would be successful with how much it had riding on it, but doing this well is even more than I expected; pretty wild considering the shaky ground Doom was still on just a few years ago.

I get where you and some are coming from though on strategy and Doom not mixing too well, after fighting the gladiator demon boss again last night on extra lives mode and being reminded how the first phase was. While the Marauder I didn't mind at first, he overstayed his welcome with the repeated encounters. The Doom Hunter felt more like a proper Doom enemy as far as fighting against at least. Him I didn't mind facing again here and there as he didn't really interrupt the flow in comparison. The other bosses were solid though between the Kahn Makyr and Icon of Sin, the latter of which was like Doom II in the sense of fighting a giant demon while dealing with hordes of enemies but better designed.

Now that they've done their modern spin on Doom II though, as well as the love nods to Doom 64 with the unlockable Unmaker weapon, I don't know what to expect for a future game/story setting after this. Retelling Doom 3 perhaps? Regardless, excellent how they connected it all together now as far as the lore.

Sales also help when most of the world is in lockdown/quarantine.

Ridley_Prime
Sales also help when most of the world is in lockdown/quarantine.
And the game doing this well was in spite of it coming out the same day as Animal Crossing New Horizons. Now I don't care for AC, but that game was assisted heavily by the timing of the corona virus, probably more so than Doom. Many started to freak out that they'd be stuck inside for months, so they hurried and got a Switch, as that game was advertised as a life simulator you could sink months into, while Doom has like, a 15 hour campaign?

Just finished Super gore nest once you get the hang of it the game becomes much easier.

I think I was overreacting my first playthrough....

Still if you dont pay attention it is pretty easy to get killed.

What's your fave weapon Ridley?
Just made it to the Icon of Sin on my extra lives playthrough and taking a breather before I fight him again.

Favorite weapon? Hm, I guess now it would be the super shotgun. Before with previous Doom's I never used it that much, preferring to be kinda conservative with ammo, but with how it works here where you get ammo back by chainsawing a common enemy or headshotting a Makyr Drone (feels good to be using chainsaw more again on that note compared to Doom 2016 where I hardly used it), find myself going to town on most heavy enemies with super shotty now. If Ash Williams had any inspiration for Doomslayer, which he probably did, makes it all the more fitting far as that weapon.

The assault rifle's my other most used weapon, but for the heavies that run at you, chaingun + turret, and plasma rifle for the rest. Oh yeah, favorite weapon upgrade would have to be lock-on burst for the rocket launcher. Spamming it on classic Cyberdemon, or Tyrant as he's now called... Fun.

Estacado
I just reached Urdak...have 23 lives on stock it was pretty easy so far

Game registered the ballista unlock this Time...

Still have to remaster all weapons have to back track again...

My 2 most used weapons are heavy cannon and missile launcher...micro missiles and the multi lockon rockets can demolish anything..

Super shotgun is crazy fun and the armor drop upgrade is really good.

The skin you get for extra life completion is awesome it looks identical to the gold skin you get for beating ultra nightmare...

Smasandian
And the game doing this well was in spite of it coming out the same day as Animal Crossing New Horizons. Now I don't care for AC, but that game was assisted heavily by the timing of the corona virus, probably more so than Doom. Many started to freak out that they'd be stuck inside for months, so they hurried and got a Switch, as that game was advertised as a life simulator you could sink months into, while Doom has like, a 15 hour campaign?

I think COVID19 helped Doom sales..it had too. How much..no idea but it wasn't a bad thing.

If Cyberpunk came out as intended...that game would of broken records.

Estacado
Got gunpletionist this Time around.

Read that a lot of people had the same glitch as me but they got it on the extra life playthrough...

It could be cause of the cheats...or something else.

Im done with all the single player trophies.

cdtm
You know what this game is?

A poor man's Devil May Cry.

Same gothic theme, same difficulty level, none of the good level design.

Ridley_Prime
You say that, but the similarities to Devil May Cry is actually why others like Maximilian Dood loved it.

Y'know, the Marauder isn't really that much an offshoot enemy design as I previously thought. Other things like grenades and splash damage from rockets still damage him even with his shield up, not to mention you can quickly change to any other weapon and damage him more after he's pushed back. The game just didn't do a real good job of telling you how to best combat him like with all the other enemies which is why the common player struggled with him so.

Still haven't gotten into the battle mode much yet due to other games on my backlog, but meaning to sometime. My first impression on it was kinda mixed; not sure if it's something I'll play consistently like Doom 2016's multiplayer once I'm done with the milestones. I like how they gave a tutorial for the general rundown on how to play each of the different demons. There's a bit more depth to their gameplay than there was before at least, but the overall package of 2 vs 1 kinda feels like a step down. I know multiplayer's not one of the main focuses for the series and more of a secondary thing, but 2016's online I would say had plenty replay value once they made all the DLC free. Not feeling there'll be that much with this one unless perhaps they add more features to it later. That said, can already tell the Archvile and Marauder will be my favorite demons to play in this game, despite the latter not having his shield when controlling him. The Baron of Hell was one of my favorite playable demons in 2016, but at least he's a summonable one here, so that's something.

And they got their priorities straight with some campaign DLC this time around which is planned, which we never got for Doom 2016 despite the demand for it. I hope one of the campaign DLC's gives us the Mother Demon boss. Game already gave us the Unmaker as an unlockable weapon, so why not?

Nemesis X
i_lYq6VQ48s

cdtm
We want to spill demons blood.

ID sucks dry our blood.

cdtm
Remember how seriously Doom took itself?

Yeah, me neither. This bullshit lore is something you'd expect from Halo, not a goofy 1994 shooter about a random space marine going on a genocidal rampage on account of his pet rabbit Daisy.

Smasandian
So what is it....

You complain when modern games are the same...and then you complain when modern games make changes.

Ridley_Prime

cdtm
And classic Doom is best Doom anyways. TNT: Evilution and Plutonia are timeless classics, and any given Megawad is more challenging then anything these hacks can cook up.

cdtm
These guys get it.

Adam Grimes
Ok.

Anyway, great game. thumb up

cdtm
Dammit. 😞

Adam Grimes
UwU

Ridley_Prime
That quoted post is from some scrub players that couldn't adapt, particularly on the bosses/Marauder part. Classic.

Also disagree on the chainsaw. It was just an optional weapon in Doom 2016 that I pretty much never used. I like how Eternal actually gave it a significant purpose again.

And the difficulty challenge of the master levels in this game are honestly on par with some of the Megawads out there. Look forward to more as they come.

Smasandian
Doom Eternal is hard on console....I had to move the difficulty level a notch.

cdtm
But are they comparable to the Megawadz with Complex Doom and Colourful Hfil? wink

Smasandian
Why does that matter....why do you always have to compare it to another game. One game can be hard..but the other can be slightly harder....doesn't change the fact.

I think you are robot who is just one large IF statement.

cdtm
Eternal doesn't even support modding.

Classic Doom rocking Project Brutality 3.0 and marine helmet. thumb up

Smasandian
It seems that there is mods for Doom Eternal.

https://www.nexusmods.com/doometernal?tab=popular+%2830+days%29

cdtm
Comparing turning hud pink with Brutal Doom. laughing out loud

Smasandian
Who ****ing cares.

cdtm
Truer words to describe the death spiral of video games were never spoken. thumb up

Smasandian
Yep...the death spiral of video games......which is hilarious because your crap that spout is much more indicator of the that...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>