Differences in Midi-Chlorians in G-canon and C-canon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zentrex
I know Midi-chlorians weren't everyone's favorite part of The Phantom Menace, but part of that has to be because of the way they were explained.

The way I understand it, in G-canon, every living thing has a soul, and that soul exudes and absorbs streams of energy. This energy, overflowing from the streams between souls, is the force. All this exists in the realm of the Whills, which is separate from the physical realm. This is where force ghosts exist. This is also well explained in the book The Weapon of a Jedi by Jason Fry. Now, in order for someone to manipulate the physical world with the force, which exists in the realm of the Whills, one must have a conduit. This conduit is midi-chlorians. It allows you to communicate with the whills, or the force, and manipulate the physical world. It's like a lightsaber crystal in legends. And a higher midi-chlorians count per cell makes people more powerful with the force. It explains why some people are more powerful than others, how a force that exists in a different realm can allow people to manipulate the physical, and why Force ghosts can't effect the physical world, and people can't effect the realm of the whills.

In legends, the force is just an energy field, not seperate from the physical world. Midi-chlorians allow you access to it, and the more midi-chlorians you have, the more in tune with the force you can be easily. However, since anyone can become "one with the force", your midi-chlorian count isn't the be all end all of how powerful you are. And of course, the midi-chlorians serve the will of the force, and manipulating them with the dark side can allow to you to mess with the will of the force.

Is my understanding complete? Is there anything more to it? Do I understand something wrong?

Galan007
You're over-complicating this a bit:

http://i.imgur.com/c6i9NgNm.jpg

Canonically speaking, the concept of midi-chlorians is really that simple.

Zentrex
sad

Rockydonovang
were they not simple in legends? I mean, sure there was extra stuff added about them. But their basic concept was the same wasn't it?

Galan007
Depends on the source, but yeah, the basic concept of midi-chlorians was still pretty much the same in Legends -- even to someone like Plagueis, who had devoted his entire life to studying them:

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.