Superman Vs Galactus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672

StiltmanFTW
https://i.giphy.com/media/cKQTSO1NNQl8I/giphy.webp

NemeBro
Superman throws each individual grain of sand or earth constituting the planet into space before Galactus can think. thumb up smile

Enzeru
I'm curious. Can Superman destroy a planet at all?

PRE NEW 52:

Going by my perception Superman wouldn't have been able to move Earth out of its orbit and fly it into the Sun. He needed Wonder Womans and Martian Manhunters help to move Earth. During another instance he needed Green Lanterns help.

During a fight he had stated, that he is capable of shattering small planets with his punches. Okay. Fine. But "small planets" kinda sounds degrading and almost like hyperbole, considering that most of the time he wrecked moons. And wrecking moons already took quite a bit out of him.

NEW 52:

I'm never going to acknowledge the 5-days-Earth-bench-press-idiocy, but Superman and Martian Manhunter did push Braniacs ship away, which was vastly bigger than Earth. So Superman could destroy a planet by pushing it into a star, a black hole or simply another planet. But that's kinda a lame way of destroying a planet.

Punch-wise I haven't seen anything from Superman, which suggests that he could destroy a planet similar to how, let's say a couple of Marvel characters have done it.

Then we had Superman discovering a new ability, his solarflare explosion. He expanded all of his solar energy to a point where he turned into a low to mid metahuman for days or weeks. And that explosion didn't even come close to being potent enough to destroy a planet.

Can someone well versed on Superman make a compelling argument for Superman destroying a planet in a quick and impressive way?

On topic: LOL! Galactus weakest heralds would destroy planets faster than Superman can.

Damborgson
What do you mean you don't acknowledge the bench press feat?

xJLxKing

Enzeru
Originally posted by Damborgson

What do you mean you don't acknowledge the bench press feat?

I've been very outspoken in the past about that "feat" and I still am, because in my eyes that feat goes against absolutely everything Superman should stand for.
In the time it took Superman to perform the feat (5 days), countless people died. Superman could have saved many of these people, but instead he was doing jumping jacks in a machine. Even the argument of Superman testing his limits or whatever is absolutely, positively, ridiculously dumb. Superman properly written wouldn't be wasting 5 days for such nonsense. Instead he would be out there and trying to save people, because that's what Superman does.

That's why I don't even acknowledge that feat. It was just a dream. No, a nightmare actually.

StiltmanFTW
Superman wastes 8 hours x 5 days a week "working" as a mediocre reporter, Enzeru.

xJLxKing

StiltmanFTW
What limit? He could've kept going. One drop of sweat, literally all it took out of him.

Anyway, Supes is not like Sentry & Cloc, he's lounging all the time and letting people die.

5 days trying to find a limit to his strength were a time well-spent in comparison to poking in his nose while at work or listening to Lois getting her holes ****ed by another man.

Enzeru
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Superman wastes 8 hours x 5 days a week "working" as a mediocre reporter, Enzeru.

And I'm perfectly fine with that for multiple reasons.

1. Superman should have a regular job just like a regular earthling. He should always be near regular people to never get out of touch with humanity.

2. Even during his regular job as a reporter, he still does a lot of good for the world with articles, which uncover sinister machinations and so on.

3. He also deserves time off during the day, because if you do what Superman can do day in and day out, there is the danger of going crazy. That for example happened to the Sentry. He was doing so much superhero work, that the pressure and responsibility drove him insane. He got more and more depressed and lost control over his own being.

But the bench-press-nonsense... we're talking about 5 days of doing absolutely nothing. I could have gotten behind 5 hours maybe. Maybe he took a day of vacation for that meeting. It would have been still a great feat. But Superman doing nothing for 5 days and letting people die? Yeah, no.

I'm a big fan of tropes in entertainment media and one of the biggest tropes, which should ALWAYS follow Superman is:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SamaritanSyndrome

And that trope was simply not there during that bench-press moment. Instead we got another trope:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SleptThroughTheApocalypse

And that's just not Superman.

carver9
After bench pressing the Earth, let's see what Superman say about him and planets (and hes talking about Darkseid by the way)...

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-84b80918c3ae70687ddcc936a1fb756a-c

xJLxKing
Originally posted by carver9
After bench pressing the Earth, let's see what Superman say about him and planets (and hes talking about Darkseid by the way)...

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-84b80918c3ae70687ddcc936a1fb756a-c laughing out loud

What a way to spin it ahahahhaha

Carver you are special

carver9
Not a spin. smile

xJLxKing
Not a spin. smile
Lets be clear, do you want to stand by Superman's statement 100%?

One Big Mob
How did an already awful thread get ruined on the first page?

AbelAnderson
A standard Superman isn't a planet buster if judged by on panel feats (exclude statements). However, it's very likely that N52 Superman could do significant damage to Earth if H'el wasn't between his punches and the ground.

OT: Galen should win this, destroying planets is basically his life-career.

Facee
*awaits abhils response with popcorn*

MrMind
superman destroy the earth with galactus in it

riv6672
Originally posted by One Big Mob
How did an already awful thread get ruined on the first page?
Posters like you, mostly. wink

abhilegend
Originally posted by AbelAnderson
A standard Superman isn't a planet buster if judged by on panel feats (exclude statements). However, it's very likely that N52 Superman could do significant damage to Earth if H'el wasn't between his punches and the ground.

OT: Galen should win this, destroying planets is basically his life-career.
laughing out loud

Superman can't do it if we exclude feats and statements.

Sounds about right.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by abhilegend
laughing out loud

Sounds about right.
Forget statements, sometimes they are false, overhyped, or just lies.

But on panel feats, how can you deny it lmao laughing out loud

riv6672
laughing out loud

Sounds about right.
Thats not what he said at all, but, your way plays much better w. your established agendas.

carver9
Originally posted by xJLxKing
Forget statements, sometimes they are false, overhyped, or just lies.

But on panel feats, how can you deny it lmao laughing out loud

Are we accepting statements?

carver9
laughing out loud

Sounds about right.

Superman the height of multiple planets threw Joker on top of a planet destroying it which means that his 6 foot tall self could've achieved the same results. Great logic there abhi.

xJLxKing
Are we accepting statements? You still haven't answer my first question regarding Superman's statement

Let me ask again, do you believe Superman's statement ?

carver9
You still haven't answer my first question regarding Superman's statement

Let me ask again, do you believe Superman's statement ?

I dont know. Now are we accepting statements?

Damborgson
Originally posted by Enzeru
I've been very outspoken in the past about that "feat" and I still am, because in my eyes that feat goes against absolutely everything Superman should stand for.
In the time it took Superman to perform the feat (5 days), countless people died. Superman could have saved many of these people, but instead he was doing jumping jacks in a machine. Even the argument of Superman testing his limits or whatever is absolutely, positively, ridiculously dumb. Superman properly written wouldn't be wasting 5 days for such nonsense. Instead he would be out there and trying to save people, because that's what Superman does.

That's why I don't even acknowledge that feat. It was just a dream. No, a nightmare actually.

But I mean, that doesn't matter.

Of course it was stupid. It's basically his greatest quantifiable strength feat ever. Far more high end than the others given the endurance it took and the lack of sunlight.

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. In the next issue Superman got held down by a zombie dragon. Does that mean the dragon could bench press the planet for 6 days or something? No, of course not, but as stupid as all that was , it was a canon feat.

I'm just bringing it up because you're going to get slammed for disregarding feats based on personal opinion. Even if I'm in agreement with you that indeed, a lot of people died so that Superman could flex his muscles lol.

xJLxKing
I dont know. Now are we accepting statements?
You used Superman's statement that DS is the only being in the universe that can destroy a planet.

Why do you say "I don't know" when you tried to use the statement in a debate???

Why even use it?

carver9
You used Superman's statement that DS is the only being in the universe that can destroy a planet.

Why do you say "I don't know" when you tried to use the statement in a debate???

Why even use it?

I used it because it fits the discussion that was had during the moment, AND, Superman said it. Why wouldnt I post it? Let's put it like this... if Thor wouldve said it, you all wouldve been all over it.

smile

xJLxKing

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Damborgson
But I mean, that doesn't matter.

Of course it was stupid. It's basically his greatest quantifiable strength feat ever. Far more high end than the others given the endurance it took and the lack of sunlight.

But that doesn't mean it didn't happen. In the next issue Superman got held down by a zombie dragon. Does that mean the dragon could bench press the planet for 6 days or something? No, of course not, but as stupid as all that was , it was a canon feat.

I'm just bringing it up because you're going to get slammed for disregarding feats based on personal opinion. Even if I'm in agreement with you that indeed, a lot of people died so that Superman could flex his muscles lol. It was a kryptonian dragon btw

AbelAnderson
Exclude off panel feats and statements, that was what I said.

With just on panel feats? Shadow moon is the safest bet for planet-busting, but the total mass wasn't clear either.

zopzop
or listening to Lois getting her holes ****ed by another man.
Oh dear God....... laughing

abhilegend
Exclude off panel feats and statements, that was what I said.

Who said anything about off panel feats?

Superman has destroyed a planet at least 4 times on panel.

AbelAnderson
The fact is, he hasn't destroyed anything on that scale except the shared feat with Earth-2 Superman.

Show the scans then, pretty sure I've seen all of them and they were debunked.
Also, if he's a multi-planet buster like you said, pulling the moon fast enough shouldn't be too hard for him to accomplish on his own, let alone keeping the Earth in orbit.

krisblaze
What limit? He could've kept going. One drop of sweat, literally all it took out of him.

Anyway, Supes is not like Sentry & Cloc, he's lounging all the time and letting people die.

5 days trying to find a limit to his strength were a time well-spent in comparison to poking in his nose while at work or listening to Lois getting her holes ****ed by another man.

You underestimate the man.

I'm sure Abighail has half a dozen scan of Superman lifting heavy shit while someone runs a train on Lois.

abhilegend
The fact is, he hasn't destroyed anything on that scale except the shared feat with Earth-2 Superman.

That wasn't shared feat. With every punch Superman was destroying the world.

http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/?action=view&current=Superman-Batman0422008MinuteMen-DarthScanner017.jpg
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/?action=view&current=Superman-Batman0422008MinuteMen-DarthScanner018.jpg
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/?action=view&current=Superman-Batman0422008MinuteMen-DarthScanner021.jpg
http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/?action=view&current=Superman-Batman0422008MinuteMen-DarthScanner022.jpg

Superman destroys a planet size chunk of the source wall, to fill the gap a planet is sucked in the source wall.

The speeding moon you mean? Above planet level force.

He was weakened in JLA 75. In JLA 29 he restored Earth's orbit with Hal Jordan when it was displaced by Starbreaker.

carver9
Lol... ABHI, you are hilarious. Abel Anderson...when did Superman destroy a planet when he fought Earth 2 Superman? Scan please.

AbelAnderson
Lol... ABHI, you are hilarious. Abel Anderson...when did Superman destroy a planet when he fought Earth 2 Superman? Scan please.
During infinite crisis#5 IIRC.

carver9
During infinite crisis#5 IIRC.

Never happened.

AbelAnderson
Never happened.
Earth- 2 Superman mentioned something about destroying his world and the feat happened somewhere in Superman:Infinite Crisis.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/4/43/Superman_-_Infinite_Crisis.png/revision/latest?cb=20160405153425
But the space and time during Infinite Crisis was going crazy, and later it shown Earth-2 being right and well.

AbelAnderson
Then please prove how it is above planet level force, even when speeding, the mass gap between a planet and a moon is still large, and the text did not show how fast exactly.

The issues, please. I know he had destroyed a planetoid on Golem's forehead on panel, but first, it's size has never been mentioned, second, it appear to be smaller than regular ones and we do not no whether it holds the same mass.

The feat was accomplished by their shockwaves, they even managed to knocked each other out.

abhilegend
You're just a nuisance though.

abhilegend
Then please prove how it is above planet level force, even when speeding, the mass gap between a planet and a moon is still large, and the text did not show how fast exactly.

Originally posted by ghostman
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/7/74503/1429269-justice_league_of_america_030_pg_17.jpg

1) Now first of all, I'd like to clear up some shit on this page specifically in regards to where the Moon's mass is stated on-panel:

"The Shadow's mass will be the same as the real Moon."

"81 Billion tons."

Now, that second line of dialogue, as stated by Batman, is false - the Mass of the Moon is not 81 Billion tons but is instead, in fact, much closer to 81 Billion Billion tons at 81 Quintillion tons, or at 73 Sextillion kilograms. I've also heard marvel **** drip try and suggest that the DC Comics variant of the Earth's Moon had possessed one billion times less mass than our real-life Moon, but this claim is also false. The writer of Justice League Vol. 2 #30, Dwayne McDuffie, had later specifically mentioned on his own website that he had tried to, and made a error in, calculating the real-life Moon's mass for this comic, as well as that he had originally intended to utilize the actual Moon's mass of 81 Quintillion tons. This is also very evident even in the dialogue itself, where it's clearly stated that the Shadow Moon's mass "will be the same as the real Moon", yet the distinction still wouldn't make much sense, if Earth's Moon in the DC Universe had possessed one billion times less mass than our real-life Moon.

2) For some "reason", some people always seem to selectively forget the basic scientific principal of "Force = Mass*Acceleration", even when it's been spoon-fed to them - it's also even funnier because that exact same comic, which had mentioned the F=MA equation on-panel, has already established that the Mass of the Shadow Moon, as well as the fact that it was heading to Earth. Still, do we know just how fast it was going?

"My ring clocks it at 7,614,000 km per hour"

...and thank you, Green Lantern! Now, we have everything that we need to figure out just how much Kinetic Energy the Shadow Moon was exerting while heading for Earth, and how much Superman had to exert to stop it! Keep in mind that Superman didn't simply "stop" the Shadow Moon either - he actually was able to not only match the Shadow Moon's forward momentum, moving at 7,614,000 km per hour or 2,115,000 m/s, but also outright shattered it into fragments and exerted far more than the necessary power to pulverize it.

KE = 1/2mv^2

KE = 1/2(73 Sextillion*2,115,000)^2

KE = 1.632727124e+35 Joules

Calculating the Kinetic Energy of the Shadow Moon has given us a result of 3.9 Quintillion Megatons of force - that's enough energy to destroy Earth 735.84x over!!!! good god... ****ing supes!!!!! heres the feat in action:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/27500/724603-justice_league_of_america__30__2009____page_17.jpg

there you go.

Although I don't agree with the analysis but still.

Incorrect, the size of the golem's "planetoid" was equal to Daxam.

Incorrect, the feat happens every time Superman punched Kal L.

If he can produce shockwaves that destroys the world alongside another superman, he can destroy a planet by one punch. It isn't a hyperbole, it happened everytime they strike ech other and it was explicitly stated to be their punches that destroyed the world.

Here he does it by himself in one punch.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_18-1.jpg

"Who can strike with such force they shatter-". It happened again and again. It happened 6 times in 3 comics, how many of them are hyperboles?

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_02-03.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_AOS649SURVIVESTIMEREALITYSHATERINGFORCES5.jpg http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_18-1.jpg http://s3d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16242471_06.jpg http://s3d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16242475_13.jpg http://s3d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16242478_14.jpg

Honestly, if any other character destroys a planet 6 times in 3 comics with another slightly stronger version of himself in combat by just shockwaves anytime soon, his fans would nuke every comic book vs forum on internet.

Not that hard seeing Kal L could punch hard enough to shatter stars.

https://m.imgur.com/Cc2ZcbA

AbelAnderson
According to the analysis, the Earth should have been destroyed right away, the blast radius should be too big for either the moon or Earth to withstand it.

With the same mass while being inside of Golem? Not likely, also after Superman destroyed each power source, we did not see those planetoids completely collapsing, instead, he was most likely just flying through their core.

They managed to knocked each other out, and then the planet was destroyed due to them both.

Shatter planets=/=Bust planets, with the term shattering, it means doing significant cracks.
Anti-Monitor was already weaken by lots of damage, and since when had Kal-L bust a more than one planet, let alone stars?
Also as you mentioned in another thread, statements in the 90s cannot be trusted, why should I consider it legit? No offense at all, just curious.

abhilegend
According to the analysis, the Earth should have been destroyed right away, the blast radius should be too big for either the moon or Earth to withstand it.

Not if Superman's near infinite mass absorbed most of the blast.

The moon was totally pulverized, not even rubble was left of it.

He destroyed the planetoid which destroyed the Golem.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pQ3lfQHrL8Q/VqnNTOnBkuI/AAAAAAAAHd8/ci9cG4XzGlI/s1600-Ic42/RCO019.jpg

Golem started as a planet which was later absorbed in it.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_uUBN8cirpM/VqnNTAjl59I/AAAAAAAAHdk/PH2u8JLGzKI/s1600-Ic42/RCO020.jpg

What you think is pretty much irrelevant.

Where were they knocked out?

When he actually created a star by destroying two planets.

Wut? I'm talking about the narration from Silver age.

AbelAnderson
''With uuz's little moons'' ''with cosmic speed...creating a blaze of atomic power''
He used his strength to throw two moons together and use his speed to make sure they crushed fast enough to create a sun, that doesn't show him capable of busting starts.

Was talking about the real one.

They knocked each other into different dimensions.
They also knocked out each other in an far earlier encounter.

celeyhyga17

Incorrect, the feat happens every time Superman punched Kal L.

Not that hard seeing Kal L could punch hard enough to shatter stars.

https://m.imgur.com/Cc2ZcbA

I wonder why u keep leaving this out. mhmm

http://oi65.tinypic.com/suzxip.jpg

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2uzxtzk.jpg

abhilegend
''With uuz's little moons'' ''with cosmic speed...creating a blaze of atomic power''
He used his strength to throw two moons together and use his speed to make sure they crushed fast enough to create a sun, that doesn't show him capable of busting starts.

No, creating a sun is far difficult than destroying one. He also snuffed out a star with just his breath.

What about it?

That's not what happened.

That was in silver age.

abhilegend
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
I wonder why u keep leaving this out. mhmm

http://oi65.tinypic.com/suzxip.jpg

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2uzxtzk.jpg
I was talking about just strength. But sure what about it?

celeyhyga17
Search ure feelings. U know it to be true.

abhilegend
Way to gay it up

StiltmanFTW
Superman is gay as f*ck, OT is not.

carver9
Earth- 2 Superman mentioned something about destroying his world and the feat happened somewhere in Superman:Infinite Crisis.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vsbattles/images/4/43/Superman_-_Infinite_Crisis.png/revision/latest?cb=20160405153425
But the space and time during Infinite Crisis was going crazy, and later it shown Earth-2 being right and well.

Exactly. He never destroyed a world. During the same fight, they heat visioned each other and the world was mentioned again.

abhilegend
Exactly. He never destroyed a world. During the same fight, they heat visioned each other and the world was mentioned again.
And that somehow negates the world being destroyed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.