The Death of Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
DC's most recent animated film is out. I thought it was quite well done. It's a lot more faithful to the comics than the other Doomsday movie was. It was also nice to finally see Martian Manhunter.

There were a few questions I would have preferred answered, but I'm sure we'll find out in the sequel(Reign of the Supermen).

Anyone who has enjoyed the recent animated films from DC will more than likely enjoy this movie.

cdtm
Let me guess, J'onn got his face smooshed while trying to carry Doomsday.

I guess they couldn't use Matrix Supergirl/Superman/Draaga /Lana anymore, which is too bad because I liked the character.

Did they at least work in Emil Hammilton?

Darth Thor

playa1258
It's pretty good and Doomsday was a beast in this.

Surtur
Originally posted by cdtm
Let me guess, J'onn got his face smooshed while trying to carry Doomsday.

I guess they couldn't use Matrix Supergirl/Superman/Draaga /Lana anymore, which is too bad because I liked the character.

Did they at least work in Emil Hammilton?

He tries to beat him down and then wisely just goes intangible lol.

Impediment
I need to watch this. I'm hoping that it's better than Doomsday was.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
I need to watch this. I'm hoping that it's better than Doomsday was.

leagues better..

i enjoyed this. WAAAAAYYYY better than that piece of shit BVS and JL combined

Darth Thor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
leagues better..

i enjoyed this. WAAAAAYYYY better than that piece of shit BVS and JL combined

I was actually thinking about BvS watching this. Thinking how badly Snyder messed up Doomsday and Supermans Death.

I like Supes portrayal in JL though. Cavill defo makes a good Superman. It was the grim script and directors vision that let the character down despite Cavill playing him previously.

cdtm
But is it better then the awesome Wonder Women animated movie?

One of my favorites, up there with Crisis on Two Earths.

quanchi112
Never going to see this. Lame. Poor dc fans have to look forward to this not the live action films.

Femi32
Originally posted by quanchi112
Never going to see this. Lame. Poor dc fans have to look forward to this not the live action films.

What's wrong with looking forward to an animated movie (and shows)? I still wish Marvel put more effort into their's before they axed Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Movies take a while to produce and release. Animated movies (and shows) don't take as long and they can go places the movies don't have time for.

quanchi112

Femi32
Quote feature isn't working for some reason.

I can understand the animated movies, but the shows? You didn't like any of the 90s Marvel cartoons, Bruce Timm-verse, Xmen Evolution, Wolverine and the Xmen, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, or Young Justice (my favorite)?

quanchi112

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I was actually thinking about BvS watching this. Thinking how badly Snyder messed up Doomsday and Supermans Death.

I like Supes portrayal in JL though. Cavill defo makes a good Superman. It was the grim script and directors vision that let the character down despite Cavill playing him previously.

hopefully snyder won't have anything to do with the films going forward..

Femi32
Is the Xmen show the only one you saw?

Zack M
X-Men TAS is pretty much Marvel's only great show, cartoon wise. They need to up their game on the small screen.

playa1258
EMH was pretty good until they killed it.

Femi32
Originally posted by Zack M
X-Men TAS is pretty much Marvel's only great show, cartoon wise. They need to up their game on the small screen.

I would say X-Men: Evolution was. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes would've been it if had an equal shot of lasting as long. I appreciated how that show used characters that I barely knew about and still made it interesting. Beware the Batman tried to do the same, but it didn't work.

dynamix
Originally posted by Zack M

spiderman TAS was pretty good too. also liked The Incredible Hulk TAS. i still remember the episode where he fought the wendigo with the sasquatch

playa1258
Spider-man was good but he was not allowed to punch anyone on the show.

Hulk was good for like a season.

I would personally put EMH first X-men second.

Khazra Reborn
EMH, is Marvel's best animated imo, followed closely by Spectacular Spider-Man.

steverules_2

Darth Thor
Wolverine and the X-Men too.

Marvel had loads of great ones in the past. Dont know what happened to them.

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
EMH, is Marvel's best animated imo, followed closely by Spectacular Spider-Man.

thumb up

I own both those series.

steverules_2
EMH?

Kazenji
Earth's mightiest heroes.

steverules_2
Ah

Surtur
Marvel has had some great shows. Both X-Men TAS and X-Men Evolution can be found on Hulu.

With that said...I still think DC created the best animated universe. I'm talking about the DCAU. Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited. Technically that show with the robot was also in the same universe.

Young Justice was another great series.

There is a new Justice League cartoon series out now...but I think it's way too kiddy for me. The DCAU shows were for all ages and could be enjoyed by anyone.

Marvel cancelled Earth's Mightiest Heroes and replaced it with the lame Avengers Assemble.

Robtard
This was decent; I enjoyed it. A lot better than JL: Doomsday and a good addition specifically to the DCAMU.

Not as good as their best five DC animated films overall though, Under the Red Hood, Flashpoint, Wonder Woman, The Dark Knight Returns and Gods and Monsters.

Am excited about all the named upcoming films:

Reign of the Supermen (part of the DCAMU)
Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (not sure if this is part of the DCAMU, I suspect it might)
Batman: Hush
Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

Darth Thor
Yeah the DCAMU is actually turning out to be a pretty decent shared universe.

Best weve had from animation for a while least.

Robtard
Yeah, started out great with Flashpoint Paradox, then JL:War was a step down, didn't care how they portrayed Darkseid as little more than a retarded bruiser, really wasted him in that film. But it's overall decent all films taken in.

Seems 'Justice League vs. the Fatal Five' isn't part of the DCAMU, but a stand alone.

dynamix
just got done watching this. Man is Lois Lane one annoying character. both the cinematic version and this version. like, b!tch stay the fck out of the way!

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah the DCAMU is actually turning out to be a pretty decent shared universe.

Best weve had from animation for a while least.

I like how they're not afraid to animate the wacky stories too. Like Justice League: Gods and Monsters. Which has a Superman that was raised by mexican immigrants whose real father is Zod, a Wonder Woman that is a new god, and a version of Batman that is a vampire lol. And all 3 of them are more than willing to brutally murder criminals.

Superman vs The Elite was great too.

Darth Thor
Those 2 are not part of the current shared universe. But yeah nice how they can do both. Establish a decent shared Universe whilst also giving us else world stories.

quanchi112

Darth Thor
They are better then the live action ones as far as DC goes.

Robtard
The idea that they're not focusing on live action because of animated films is flawed, they're two separate studios. The budget for the animated films probably wouldn't pay for two days of shooting in the live action films.

NotAllThatEvil
Originally posted by Surtur
Marvel has had some great shows. Both X-Men TAS and X-Men Evolution can be found on Hulu.

With that said...I still think DC created the best animated universe. I'm talking about the DCAU. Batman TAS, Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited. Technically that show with the robot was also in the same universe.

Young Justice was another great series.

There is a new Justice League cartoon series out now...but I think it's way too kiddy for me. The DCAU shows were for all ages and could be enjoyed by anyone.

Marvel cancelled Earth's Mightiest Heroes and replaced it with the lame Avengers Assemble.

I know Terry and the beyond universe got a spin offcomic, but did DC ever do anything with the zeta project?,

tkitna
I'm going to watch this tonight since I'm at work.

tkitna
I was underwhelmed. I didn't care for Doomsday look nor Clarks voice or anything about Lois. Oh well.

juggernaut74
Awesome movie.

They should remake this movie live action scene for scene.

Flyattractor
thumb up

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Awesome movie.

But first they have to wipe out BvS from existence (and our minds).

Flyattractor
Just put the people that made this movie in charge of the Live Action Movies. Problem Solved.

Robtard
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Awesome movie.

Justice League Unlimited also did a better Superman Vs Doomsday fight 10+ years ago compared to BvS.

tkitna
I thought this animated show stunk, so I'm ok if they go a different direction than this.

Khazra Reborn
This didn't do anything for me. I hate the animation style ever since Bruce Timm stopped producing. It just looks like generic asain mass produced ass.

Rick Deckard
Recently saw the new animated Death of Superman film on Blu-ray. This....was....incredible. Not only was this THE best adaptation of the original "Death of Superman" comic, but it was also one of the best DC animated films I've seen. Very gory & bloody, without being gratuitous. The theme of self-sacrifice for the good of the many was very pronounced in this film, as it was in the original comic.
In some ways this film actually improved on the original source material; the other DC characters that Doomsday fought & defeated were A-list DC superheroes (Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batman, etc.) prior to finally battling Superman - instead of more obscure characters like Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, etc. - like in the comic. The storyline leading up to the battle was interesting as well, re: Clark telling Lois his secret identity right before having to leave to fight Doomsday, the astronauts in space, etc.

The battle between Superman & Doomsday was epic, vicious, and pulse pounding. Very intense, with windows/glass shattering, a lot of buildings being damaged, etc. Very well-done here.

I haven't read the comic in a while, but I don't remember Lex Luthor getting involved with the Doomsday battle at all, as he did in this film. However, it worked well here - i.e., the only reason he wanted to get involved was so he could take the credit for defeating Doomsday, not Superman. And, after Superman "died" he acted like he had a large part in the battle, when in point of fact Superman actually had to save him. What a scum-bag, i.e. using the death of Superman as an excuse to make himself the "hero".

The film clocked at roughly 1 hour, 20 minutes - and, didn't feel at all rushed. Before I saw this I felt it would have to be at least two hours to do the story justice, but actually the battle itself (leading up to Superman's "death"wink was only about 4 issues IIRC, so almost 1 1/2 hours seems about right.

I only have one extremely minor complaint: I would have preferred if the DC superhero uniforms had been the '90's versions, to be more in line with the original comic. However, this is a minor nitpick & didn't affect my enjoyment of the film at all.

Really looking forward to the forthcoming Reign of the Superman next year.

Surtur
I can't wait for the sequel.

Quick Freeze

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.