sentinel (alan) v dr strange (classic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
confused

MrMind
classic strange is only one notch below classic fate,both are ridiculously op
alan is outclassed here, if he has starheart this might be a different story.

Zack M
Sentinel does have the Starheart.

leonidas
thumb up

quanchi112
Strange wins.

Digi
Strange is probably too smart to try to just take Alan head-on. Powerful as the Starheart is, I have to believe there's a win in Strange's book of tricks somewhere. It is kind of a bad matchup for Strange though, because the logic-defying comic force that is "magic" means that a lot of Alan's more basic attacks would still have the force of "magic" behind them, so he might just willpower his way through otherwise tricky attacks. 1 or 2/10 for Alan, because of that, and because his top couple feats are just otherworldly in terms of raw power, so if he corners Strange, so to speak, he could still win.

One Big Mob
Alan knocks him out with a doorknob. Not even a construct doorknob either, he just grabs a knob off a door and hucks it at Strange's chin.

riv6672

DarkSaint85
Thread starter has said it's in thumb up

riv6672
Thread starter shoulda been more specific in the OP.
It happens (its happened to me), and will usually garner some posts that refuse to acknowledge secondary changes (its happened to me).

Nice to be on the other side of that equation for once!

But i wont derail.
I made my choice based on OP. You guys can debate added stips at your leisure. Continue.

DarkSaint85
Forum rules state he can still add stips etc, on the first two pages or so, if it hasn't advanced too far.

As we're still on the first, Leo's thumbs up post to Zack tells me he agrees with Zack's post.

Which states he has the Starheart.

leonidas
lol w/starsheart, obviously. there isn't any other kind of cool sentinel. and i don't really care if anyone thinks it should be in the OP. thumb up

cdtm
Originally posted by Digi
Strange is probably too smart to try to just take Alan head-on. Powerful as the Starheart is, I have to believe there's a win in Strange's book of tricks somewhere. It is kind of a bad matchup for Strange though, because the logic-defying comic force that is "magic" means that a lot of Alan's more basic attacks would still have the force of "magic" behind them, so he might just willpower his way through otherwise tricky attacks. 1 or 2/10 for Alan, because of that, and because his top couple feats are just otherworldly in terms of raw power, so if he corners Strange, so to speak, he could still win.

I don't know, Sentinel Prime (Not a typo, I'm calling him with Starheart Sentinel Prime. stick out tongue ) hasn't really had the best track record against high end magic. Mordru not only stomped him, repeatedly, but stole the star heart from him.

He also struggled with a B lister magic character in Guy Gardner: Warrior. Melted through a magic shield, and was promptly rendered helpless..

Those "could" be low ends, but I'm not aware of anything where he takes high end beings, like Lords of Order, Dr. Fate, or anything even close..

Digi
Originally posted by cdtm
I don't know, Sentinel Prime (Not a typo, I'm calling him with Starheart Sentinel Prime. stick out tongue ) hasn't really had the best track record against high end magic. Mordru not only stomped him, repeatedly, but stole the star heart from him.

He also struggled with a B lister magic character in Guy Gardner: Warrior. Melted through a magic shield, and was promptly rendered helpless..

Those "could" be low ends, but I'm not aware of anything where he takes high end beings, like Lords of Order, Dr. Fate, or anything even close..

Some good points, and no real arguments from me. When he created that space city from Starheart energy and was toying with whole teams of heroes - JLA and JSA primarily - is probably the moment that made me go the most wide-eyed at a high-end feat. But Alan doesn't lack for some lower and/or "normal" feats.

Though, losing to Mordru isn't a knock, tbh. Depending on portrayal, we're talking about someone who's very much above any standard hero team. Also, I do have Strange winning, so we're likely splitting hairs here. Leo's a known Alan Scott hater, though, so I'd expect no less. stick out tongue

leonidas
laughing out loud

he's actually someone i don't know all that well tbh. i've seen some of his better feats of course, and my thought was he'd actually win this against a standard strange without prep. shrug

Digi
Prep feels overrated to me with classic strange. Most of his zany abstract-style stuff was as off-the-cuff as anything else he was capable of. At least what I remember. He just has more options in his toolbox, and isn't going to get one-shot. But as I said, Alan wins if he can turn it into a magical slugfest. He's got the highest raw power feats of non-amped GLs (White Lantern, Parallax-possessed, etc.), but doesn't have the versatility feats of the Hal's and Kyle's of the world.

MrMind
this actually got me curious,how does starheart alan compare to classic dr fate?

Digi
Originally posted by MrMind
this actually got me curious,how does starheart alan compare to classic dr fate?

Bit of a tough question, bc there aren't great head-to-head feats to compare. They're routinely referred to in the same breath as the JSA's "big guns" though, so at least on lip service, a LOT of writers and arcs treated them as roughly equal. Fate's feats trend into the more esoteric, whereas a lot of writers have Alan making green boxing gloves and such. Though I'd be remiss in not mentioning that he has in fact done things like phasing, invisibility, localized time manipulation, has a nanosecond reaction feat or two, and has drained and/or absorbed other energy sources (like from Thunderbolt, the 5D Imp), and has good showings against guys like Vulcan (the one that thrashed Classic Fate at one point, iirc) and the aforementioned Mordru, who he did great against given Mordru's level at the time. But it's again a situation where if Fate just went force against force, I'm betting on Alan every time. Feats like his "Book of Willpower" against Exodus, the space city where he went rogue and it took multiple teams to take him on, and when he powered an entire world-city built by the 5D-imp-powered Ultra-Humanite (then broke out and went ape-sh*t), tend to be next-level even compared to his peers.

Digi
*edit to the above, meant Obsidian, not Exodus.

cdtm
Alan also traded punch's evenly with Captain Marvel, in one of his more embarrassing moments:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/10/105634/3742268-all+star+squadron+36+vs+alan+scott+1.png

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11125/111252362/4797374-3852689-all%2Bstar%2Bsquadron%2B36%2B-%2Bvs%2Bkal%2Bl%2B2.png

Yep, Cap was working for the Nazi's. sad

MrMind
Originally posted by Digi
Bit of a tough question, bc there aren't great head-to-head feats to compare. They're routinely referred to in the same breath as the JSA's "big guns" though, so at least on lip service, a LOT of writers and arcs treated them as roughly equal. Fate's feats trend into the more esoteric, whereas a lot of writers have Alan making green boxing gloves and such. Though I'd be remiss in not mentioning that he has in fact done things like phasing, invisibility, localized time manipulation, has a nanosecond reaction feat or two, and has drained and/or absorbed other energy sources (like from Thunderbolt, the 5D Imp), and has good showings against guys like Vulcan (the one that thrashed Classic Fate at one point, iirc) and the aforementioned Mordru, who he did great against given Mordru's level at the time. But it's again a situation where if Fate just went force against force, I'm betting on Alan every time. Feats like his "Book of Willpower" against Exodus, the space city where he went rogue and it took multiple teams to take him on, and when he powered an entire world-city built by the 5D-imp-powered Ultra-Humanite (then broke out and went ape-sh*t), tend to be next-level even compared to his peers.

thumb up thumb up thumb up

such a solid post, thanks for the info, seriously impressed with your vast comic book knowledge.

leonidas
lol digi gotta groupie! j/k mrmind. digi's knowledge is indeed vast. thumb up

Digi
Lol. But meh, my knowledge stops at a certain point, and this just happens to involve one of my favorites (Alan). If this were Nu52, or even members of the JSA that I didn't commit to memory as well, I'd be useless.

Anyway, go back into Silver Age enough and there are plenty of embarrassing showings too. But then, that's also somewhat true of Classic Strange, and lots of characters from that era (like PC Supes, whose variance in showings is legendary). But outside of the JSA books where Johns and others wanked him like no other, Alan tends to job pretty heavily, especially when another GL is involved who has the limelight. He was also used to "put over" certain villains, like Black Adam in the WWIII arc, so he has some head-to-head losses within the herald weight class.

So finding the "right" level is tough, but the good does tend to outweigh the bad, at least post original crisis. But his "norm" also doesn't involve those more creative powers I mentioned. He's usually just good for a good moralistic lecture and some basic green attacks, which is why he'd struggle against someone like Strange.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.