Your inner Comic Book Guy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
This thread is for nitpicking movies.

I was thinking about Wag the Dog, the story about a "spin doctor" with way too much power enlisting a film guy to deal with sex allegations of a prospective president. I liked the movie at the time, but the more you think about it..

Brean is the problem. He outright told an anchorman to say something, live, on air, and he said it. He had people killed, and threatened to kill entire families. Why does a "spin doctor" have that kind of power? The CIA and FBI aren't supposed to get away with that shite, so why does Brean?

And since he's so ridiculously powerful, why does he need a film guy? He could just tell the news not to report the sex allegations. Or, force them to make something up. I mean, why not, with everything else he did?

When you introduce a guy like that into a story about clever manipulation of the public, it kind of stretch's suspension of disbelief that all those clever moves are even necessary. After all, it's not like Brean showed restrain in abusing his power.. He used it all the time, for the most petty of reasons.

riv6672
How Hancock hadnt changed the world comes to mind.

He was the only meta on earth, and had been around in his current state, since 1931.
We can assume he at least heard about Hitler/the Holocaust/WWII, Korea, Vietnam, the Cuban missile crisis, the space race. Being black, you gotta figure the civil rights movement might have concerned him.

And yet in the restaurant scene, Jason Bateman's character acts as if he had no idea Hancock had been around so long.
It just irks me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.