Streets of Rage 4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ridley_Prime
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/after-24-years-streets-of-rage-4-is-happening/1100-6461404/

M_bgPefCyfA

**** yeah! A good day for fans of the beat 'em up genre.

Ridley_Prime
owbKz1qcnUI

Didn't talk about this too much for the longest time since the release date and other details were up in the air for awhile, but it just launched today which I'll be getting soon. The character trailer shorts and things that were shown beforehand were pretty good, and game has gotten decent reviews so far.

Is up to four players offline, while two player online. Some are disappointed with the latter part, but with how out of touch games of this genre have been when it comes to online for the most part, I'll take what I can get. Couch co-op was how these type of games were born anyway.

Kazenji
I'll be checking out the 4th game, I was a SEGA kid back in the day.

cdtm

We already had 4. Fighting Force. smile

cdtm
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
owbKz1qcnUI

Didn't talk about this too much for the longest time since the release date and other details were up in the air for awhile, but it just launched today which I'll be getting soon. The character trailer shorts and things that were shown beforehand were pretty good, and game has gotten decent reviews so far.

Is up to four players offline, while two player online. Some are disappointed with the latter part, but with how out of touch games of this genre have been when it comes to online for the most part, I'll take what I can get. Couch co-op was how these type of games were born anyway.

The 4 player offlines a little disappointing, yeah.

Not sure if there's ways around that. I know there's "virtual LAN" programs, but for that you need LAN capability.

It's still great getting an official SoR game at all. The only thing the communities had to fill that gap is the OpenBor fan games, based off the Beats of Rage parody.

Some of the games that came out for that are really good too (Look up Legend of the Double Dragon, OpenBor).

cdtm
In depth review from my buddy Sega Lord X.

FZ4hn3m_t3s

He's the real deal, Sega runs in his blood. Very informative on gameplay naunces too.

Smasandian
Found this on MS Xbox Game Pass. I played the first two levels...its a neat distraction.

cdtm
Worth the 24 dollars?

Ridley_Prime
With all there is to do and unlock, I would say so. The unlockable characters even include the SoR 1, 2, and 3 versions of everyone, down to the original sprites and everything, on top of the solid cast there already is in this game.

Streets of Rage 2 was my first experience with the series, but this is like a glorious homecoming, considering. Other throwbacks too like the hidden retro levels.

Kazenji
Been reading if you buy it from GOG, It hasn't got a lot of the online options which the Steam version has which is strange.

cdtm
So is the famous Streets of Rage Remake essentially gone from official channels?

I read it got stopped, and then allowed to be put up on a Streets of Rages fan site.

I mean, I have all three Streets games plus a translation of Bare Knuckle 3, but I'm interested in comparing the fan work with the official 4.

Honestly, if they were a little bit smarter, the thing to do would have been to approach the creators about officially packaging a "completed" version, exclusive only if you buy SOR4, as a nice fan community easter egg.

cdtm
Looks like its still available on Archive.org.

Like I said, I own all three SoR, so its not like I'm looking to pirate the thing. Just interested in how good the fan game is compared to the classics and the new kid on the block.

cdtm
Wow.

https://mashable.com/article/streets-of-rage-4-review/

This might be the worst review I've ever seen.

"No checkpoints". That's like complaining about a tactical shooter not having a health bar.

Ridley_Prime

Kazenji
And when they do make a game too easy they still complain about it.

cdtm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FfzM9HojpMY

Played this back in the day. It was alright, but kind of glad it was never the fourth SoR.

Kazenji
I reading up how much they screwed up the western release of Streets of Rage 3

playing the game on Normal was harder then the Hard difficulty in Japan among other things.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
I reading up how much they screwed up the western release of Streets of Rage 3

playing the game on Normal was harder then the Hard difficulty in Japan among other things.

Yeah, that's why I play a fan translated Bare Knuckle 3. It really ****ed the game up, because of how they locked the true ending behind normal mode, meaning you couldn't even get around the problem with the easy difficulty.

Only thing for it back in the day was cheats, or maining Shiva after you unlocked him.

Smasandian
Didn't that happen a lot with some of the 8 bit/16 bit games? The difficulty level for the American release was Japan's hard level?

I have a vague memory that other games did this as well.

cdtm
Dynamite Headdy did for sure. You can't take as many hits in the US release, and things that couldn't hurt you like effects during certain attacks suddenly became deadly.

I don't think it's nearly as unmanageable as Streets of Rage 3 though.

There was also palate changes, like a pink cat boss being changed brown. It also cut the story entirely. Japanese version had bosses talking to Headdy, which was scrubbed from the localizations for some reason.

Personally, I like the US game, which I got with the Steam Sega Genesis and Megadrive collection, but I have a fan translation for the Japanese version as well Absolutely legal too, Steam and a Sega worked out a deal where "mods" can be downloaded from Steamworks. And of course the only way to mod a rom is to "hack" it. It's a neat feature, but my god, the sheer amount of abuse is unbelievable. "Oh look, here's a mod for Streets of Rage! It's called...... Micky Mouse Castle of Illusion? And here's one for Streets if Rage 2 called Contra Hard Corps."

Steams pretty much given up trying to clean that stuff out, so if you ever wanted to play pirated games from within an authorized Steam launched program, you can do that.

cdtm
Is this getting a physical release?

Remember Scott Pilgrim vs The World the Game, forever lost to the abyss.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
Is this getting a physical release?

If it is, It'll be through Limited Run games.

Nemesis X
4LwwRrI-NY0

Ridley_Prime
So the DLC for this came out yesterday. Didn't see the new achievements at first but they're there, and the new characters (Estel and SoR4 Max & Shiva) and survival mode is pretty good. Update also gave a new training tutorial mode which is good for learning combos, as well as color alts for the main characters now. Estel's gameplay is brutal and fire, Max racks up damage pretty quick especially with the power slide, and of course Shiva and those air combos.

After you get the DLC, you can also unlock Roo the kangaroo (SoR 3 version) as a hidden character by highlighting Story on the main menu, and press up, X, and Start at the same time, and beat any level as him to have him unlocked permanently.

cdtm
Good to know about Roo, that is a big motivation to buy it.

I planned on buying it day one, until I read a famous speed runners opinion on it. Goes by the name SM_Izumi. Best Streets of Rage 3 player on the planet, and holds records for 2.

Here is his review (From what I assume was an early access version only available to select people)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/985890/eventcomments/3173324051157864712/?ctp=8#c3173324051161781354
SOR4 DLC : New characters with "budget animations"

Ridley_Prime
Reusing assets was to be expected when it came to stuff like making SoR4 Max and Shiva playable. I don't really see a big deal about that. Same with adding some retro stuff. With a sequel that came nearly 30 years after the last game, why wouldn't they bank on nostalgia?

A real story add-on would've been preferable to the survival mode though, yeah, but it's fun for what it is with plenty variety. I don't really plan to touch Mania + but will take their word for it.

With Skate, it is odd how he's the only one to not have a SoR4 design, nor even a bio detailing his present whereabouts. According to the devs, this was a conscious decision since due to the time skip between the 3rd and 4th games, Skate would now be an adult and thus redesigning him to reflect this would make him look too different from his older design. Another reason is because the development team didn't want to commit to a visual design (like Skate appearing in a cutscene) without thinking of his gameplay potential.

It's understandable, and likely why Cherry was made as his replacement for the role of the light and fast type fighter. I like how she plays better than Skate anyway tbh. Was Skate ever that popular? He never struck me as a particular fan favorite, but if like you or that reviewer was a diehard Skate fan then I can understand.

cdtm
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Reusing assets was to be expected when it came to stuff like making SoR4 Max and Shiva playable. I don't really see a big deal about that. Same with adding some retro stuff. With a sequel that came nearly 30 years after the last game, why wouldn't they bank on nostalgia?

A real story add-on would've been preferable to the survival mode though, yeah, but it's fun for what it is with plenty variety. I don't really plan to touch Mania + but will take their word for it.

With Skate, it is odd how he's the only one to not have a SoR4 design, nor even a bio detailing his present whereabouts. According to the devs, this was a conscious decision since due to the time skip between the 3rd and 4th games, Skate would now be an adult and thus redesigning him to reflect this would make him look too different from his older design. Another reason is because the development team didn't want to commit to a visual design (like Skate appearing in a cutscene) without thinking of his gameplay potential.

It's understandable, and likely why Cherry was made as his replacement for the role of the light and fast type fighter. I like how she plays better than Skate anyway tbh. Was Skate ever that popular? He never struck me as a particular fan favorite, but if like you or that reviewer was a diehard Skate fan then I can understand.

He was pretty awesome in 3, I used him all the time.

Why be gun shy with skate specifically? No such problem with Axel and his super buff wrestler look.

At the least a mention would have been nice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.