The Witcher

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
Confirmed Henry Cavill is Geralt...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/henry-cavill-to-topline-netflix-drama-series-the-witcher/ar-BBMRtIe?OCID=ansmsnnews11

TheVaultDweller
That's kind of a weird casting. Henry Cavill is not the person I picture when i think Geralt. They are going to need a lot of costume makeup, and Cavill will probably have to get leaner. Geralt is pretty muscular, but generally (at least in art, games and such) portrayed as being relatively lean.

Edit:

Hmmm... Actually, if they can do the white hair right, it could work:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/c_lfill,w_410/qfik9me0t0wwzn5siexz.png

Anyway, I quite like the Witcher-univerise, so will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

ares834
Seems like a good choice. Apparently Cavill is a big fan of the series and has read the books so that implies a good amount of passion for the project which is a nice sign.

TheVaultDweller
That's always a good sign. When an actor is really passionate about something, like Ryan Reynolds with Deadpool, for example, it quite often pays off. Because their commitment shines through, which can often boost everyone in a project.

And the Witcher universe is really interesting. It's expanded from the books, to the games, to several comics and such as well. And the comics are actually a pretty good entry for people who don't want to play entire games or read full novels, considering the runs are normally only like 4 or 5 issues. So, it's a good starting point for people who just want to dip their toes into the universe.

KingD19
He was much smaller in Mission Impossible: Fallout than Justice League. Solid but not super buff like Clark.

Surtur
I saw some fan art with Cavill as Geralt. So with the right look he could pull it off.

With that said I always figured Geralt was a little older than he is going to apparently be portrayed.

TheVaultDweller
Well, IIRC, Geralt is like 90-something, actually. But Witchers age more slowly than normal people do. His white hair isn't from age. It's a side-effect of his particular Trial of Grasses (the process that turns a human into a Witcher).

Adam Grimes
Yeah, Geralt went under some extra mutations which turned him into an albino as a side effect.

Flyattractor
The Solomon Kane People really need to up those lawsuits.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Well, IIRC, Geralt is like 90-something, actually. But Witchers age more slowly than normal people do. His white hair isn't from age. It's a side-effect of his particular Trial of Grasses (the process that turns a human into a Witcher).

I see, the only game I've played in depth is the Witcher 3. Is there ever an explanation as to how he apparently was killed by being stabbed with a pitchfork?

I read part of a book years ago, but can't remember most of it.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
I see, the only game I've played in depth is the Witcher 3. Is there ever an explanation as to how he apparently was killed by being stabbed with a pitchfork?

There was an argument between a human and some non-humans, which led to a massive riot in Rivia against the non-humans. Geralt kills a few of the rampaging humans, but hesitates when he gets to one who is basically just a kid. And in that moment of hesitation, the kid stabs him in the chest. But a bunch of stuff happens involving Yennefer and Ciri, and everything kind of works out in the end, sort of.

Also, I am assuming this is the fan-art someone did for Cavill as Geralt you were referring to earlier?

https://media.comicbook.com/2018/09/henry-cavill-geralt-witcher-netflix-1131760-1280x0.jpeg

BackFire

The books are solid, at least the two that I've read.

Witcher 2 is also quite good, if a bit clunky in some respects.

First game is a lot of people's favorite but the combat is awful imo, and everything is extremely clunky in that old school CRPG kinda way.

Darth Thor
Cavill will probably have to get leaner. Geralt is pretty muscular, but generally (at least in art, games and such) portrayed as being relatively lean.

Well if you see Immortals youll see he can be a lot slimmer and leaner.

That said if hes still playing Superman then he wont want to lose too much weight. Although some people think this announcement might be a sign that WB/DC have let him go.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Well if you see Immortals youll see he can be a lot slimmer and leaner.

That said if hes still playing Superman then he wont want to lose too much weight. Although some people think this announcement might be a sign that WB/DC have let him go.

I've seen Immortals. I would say a bit bigger than that would be ideal, if you compare shots of him in that film to how Geralt is portrayed in Witcher 3, for example:

http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/01.henry-cavill-immortals-600x499.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X3P9uCQ.jpg

Darth Thor
He can do it given He went from Immortals size to MOS size. So he must have been somewhere in between at some point.

Depends how much him and the producers are bothered about getting the characters size right. Will also depend on whats happenings with Caville Superman.

Robtard
Looking forward to this.

Flyattractor
I would rather have an Elric show....which the Witcher ripped off ROYALLY!

ares834
Geralt is more a homage then a direct rip-off. There are some very striking similarities between the two characters, but plenty of stark contrasts as well not to mention the stories are completely different.

Still, an Elric TV series would be awesome. thumb up

Flyattractor
Michael Moorecock doesn't seem to think so.

BackFire
Leaked casting call (which is not confirmed at this point, could be bogus) suggests they are looking for a BAME actress to play Ciri. BAME, meaning black or asian or some other minority.

Lot of fans are very upset about this. If it's true it's a very strange and seemingly random decision.

Mindset
Originally posted by BackFire
Leaked casting call (which is not confirmed at this point, could be bogus) suggests they are looking for a BAME actress to play Ciri. BAME, meaning black or asian or some other minority.

Lot of fans are very upset about this. If it's true it's a very strange and seemingly random decision. Making the show more inclusive means more viewers.

KingD19
I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's?

ares834

Lot of fans are very upset about this. If it's true it's a very strange and seemingly random decision.

Meh.

Kinda funny though. The Nilfgaardians are the "Evil Empire" of the series and are referred to as "the black ones".

Dreampanther
Originally posted by KingD19
I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's?

Short answer? Millions.

"From 1599 the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth suffered a series of Tatar invasions, the goal of which was to loot, pillage and capture slaves into jasyr. The borderland area to the south-east was in a state of semi-permanent warfare until the 18th century."

Wiki.

NemeBro
I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's? Is the setting of the Witcher Poland?

Adam Grimes
Yes, kinda.

Mindset
I'd prefer keeping the show good than making an exotic actress call just cuz. The defenders of the primarily white people in Witcher made sense. What black guys or Mexicans or Asians did you know traipsing around in Poland in the 1400's? What does casting a non-white actress have to do with the quality of the show? And it's not "just cuz", they have a reason even if you don't see it.

How many witchers were roaming around 1400's Poland?

These are some odd objections.

samhain
All these complaints about Cavill's size are silly, if he doesn't look buff enough for the character the producers can just make the rest of the cast smaller than him. Ah, the magic of Hollywood.

Darth Thor
^ Cavill not buff enough?

Doubt thats the issue.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by samhain
All these complaints about Cavill's size are silly, if he doesn't look buff enough for the character the producers can just make the rest of the cast smaller than him. Ah, the magic of Hollywood.

You've got it a bit backwards. His current Superman physique is arguably a bit too big. But honestly, having thought about it some, in a long line of things that could be an issue, Geralt being buffer than he's previously been portrayed is not a big issue. The thing about him being lean is just due to the fact that he is often on the road, fighting, living off a diet that would likely be fatal to a normal human etc. hence while he is well-muscled, but he is still rather skinny, in terms of body fat.

As to the casting for Ciri? Eh, will reserve judgment until they actually tell us who it is. If they can write the story in a way so that it works, I am not really bothered if she doesn't quite physically resemble source material. With Ciri, it's more important that you can nail her character right IMO. I know some traditionalists will disagree, but whatever.

Adam Grimes
It's more a thing of being piss poor and starving frequently iirc. In Geralt's time monsters are dying out and witchers aren't as needed as decades prior.

I liked that Ciri is described, and in W3 looks, like she could be Geralt's blood daughter. It helps drive home the point that something bigger than even destiny wants them to be family. -although in the books she is blonde as opposed to having white hair-

samhain
You've got it a bit backwards. His current Superman physique is arguably a bit too big. But honestly, having thought about it some, in a long line of things that could be an issue, Geralt being buffer than he's previously been portrayed is not a big issue. The thing about him being lean is just due to the fact that he is often on the road, fighting, living off a diet that would likely be fatal to a normal human etc. hence while he is well-muscled, but he is still rather skinny, in terms of body fat.

Sorry, not too familiar with the world this is set in, I just assumed the complaint was about him not being big enough as that's usually the case with complaints about adaptations. But you could also flip what I suggested around and cast people bigger than Cavill.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
It's more a thing of being piss poor and starving frequently iirc.

Well, that's kind of what I meant with diet that would be fatal to a normal person lol. I was trying to be euphemistic. But yeah, he can survive living on extremely little (and then, what he ends up eating is also sometimes rather suspect), due to his Witcher constitution, but he still ends up looking very lean. Makes me wonder how Letho maintains his giant physique.

As to Ciri, obviously, having someone who does indeed look like the source material would probably add a bit extra to it. But what I mean is it's not some huge deal breaker for me as it seems to be for some people on the internet. I've seen a few people have complete meltdowns about this on some sites.

Surtur
I heard a rumor the show will focus on Ciri and not Geralt. If so, I'll pass.

Also not sure why a race change is needed. It's not inclusive to swap a race, it's lazy.

Mindset

Also not sure why a race change is needed. It's not inclusive to swap a race, it's lazy. It may be lazy, but it's still inclusive.

BackFire

Also not sure why a race change is needed. It's not inclusive to swap a race, it's lazy.

Where did you hear that first rumor? Casting someone as big as Henrey Cavill suggests that he would be the main character.

Ciri should be a big part of it, though. Bigger than Yen or Triss or whoever else may be in it. She's very important in the books (which is what the show will be based on), and even in Witcher 3, it can be argued that she's the main character of that game, in that the events that happen are centered around her rather than Geralt. I'd be fine if Ciri is a co-main character or something. She should be pretty close in significance to Geralt.

As far as the race change thing goes, I'm taking a wait and see approach with that, as it's still simply an unconfirmed rumor. Not gonna bother giving a shit until we know who is actually playing her.

Darth Thor
Well its confirmed Cavill isnt Superman anymore so he can get into whatever shape this series needs him to be in.

Surtur
Where did you hear that first rumor? Casting someone as big as Henrey Cavill suggests that he would be the main character.

Ciri should be a big part of it, though. Bigger than Yen or Triss or whoever else may be in it. She's very important in the books (which is what the show will be based on), and even in Witcher 3, it can be argued that she's the main character of that game, in that the events that happen are centered around her rather than Geralt. I'd be fine if Ciri is a co-main character or something. She should be pretty close in significance to Geralt.

As far as the race change thing goes, I'm taking a wait and see approach with that, as it's still simply an unconfirmed rumor. Not gonna bother giving a shit until we know who is actually playing her.

I honestly forget where, it was in some article talking about the backlash and it talked about the race thing and it also talked about how they thought there might also be backlash cuz the wording of the casting call suggested Ciri was the central character.

One Big Mob
Couldn't they black up someone else who isn't described in detail in the books or games? Create a new character or something. The only people who know of her character know of her being white. It's not going to turn away new watchers if she's white as well.

"Superman is in it... but gee, his 'daughter' is white, so we'll have to pass."

Just seems like an annoying change for fans of the series and anyone who even has passing knowledge of it.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Mindset
Making the show more inclusive means more viewers. Does it?

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindset

How many witchers were roaming around 1400's Poland?

Lolz

BackFire
I honestly forget where, it was in some article talking about the backlash and it talked about the race thing and it also talked about how they thought there might also be backlash cuz the wording of the casting call suggested Ciri was the central character.

I've been reading Blood of Elves for the first time, and honestly, her being the main character would be pretty much in line with how this first book has gone. I've been surprised by how central she is in this book, even being a point of view type character for large portions rather than Geralt. And since I assume the first season will be largely taken from Blood of Elves, since it's the first full length novel in the series, she may very well have a larger role than Geralt, at least in the first season. Don't know how the other books are.

Also, more news on the casting of Ciri. New information, which was posted on the Witcher subreddit, states that they are currently auditioning white actresses in poland, which obviously suggests that the rumor that they are looking exclusively for BAME actors for the role is false.

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/9f2cs9/megathread_updated_information_regarding_the/?st=jlzl7j2f&sh=e95b0c89

Adam Grimes
I'd rather they adapt The Last Wish first tbh.

BackFire
I imagine they will have some stuff from the short stories in there in some form, maybe flashbacks, or maybe they'll combine them in some way. But I think the showrunner has hinted that Blood of Elves will be the focus. Could be wrong, though.

Surtur
I was there and I can tell you there were 3 witchers in 1400's poland.

Adam Grimes
I'd rather they adapt The Last Wish first tbh. As long as Villentretenmerth's story is in and he's played by James McAvoy I'm okay with that.

Mindset
Does it? Potentially. It's the only reason these studios are doing it.

BackFire
Netflix announced the female leads.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Ciri looks great, near perfect casting imo.

The actress for Yen, though, looks extremely young. Kinda a weird choice but she's an unknown and doesn't have a lot of photos available online so we'll see with that one I guess.

quanchi112
Henry made the right call of Geralt over Kal.

TheVaultDweller
Netflix announced the female leads.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/witcher-netflix-show-casts-ciri-yennefer-roles-1150868

Ciri looks great, near perfect casting imo.

The actress for Yen, though, looks extremely young. Kinda a weird choice but she's an unknown and doesn't have a lot of photos available online so we'll see with that one I guess.

Yeah, wow. That looks super young for Yen. But then they can just use makeup and such to age her up a bit if it really looks out of place. Just ask the people who do makeup on Vikings. Those guys are magicians in their craft.

BruceSkywalker
looks like a good cast.

Darth Thor
First look of Henry Cavill as Geralt:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/10/31/18047950/netflix-the-witcher-henry-cavill-geralt-costume

janus77
Haha, that looks ridiculous. What is it with Cavill that he has such bad luck on the CGI cosmetics front? The infamous upperlip and now this Halloween peroxide blonde wig?

ares834
Looks terrible. The wig looks like something someone cosplaying Legolas would wear.

TheVaultDweller
Really, Netflix? The friggin' fan concept art some random internet person probably did in Photoshop looks better than that.

Like I said last time, should have gone with the Vikings guys lol. They turned this guy:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vikings/images/4/48/Travis_Fimmel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170207174759&path-prefix=fr

into this guy:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vikingstv/images/8/86/Ragnar_Mid-Season_Promo.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20161219020239

cdtm
Originally posted by janus77
Haha, that looks ridiculous. What is it with Cavill that he has such bad luck on the CGI cosmetics front? The infamous upperlip and now this Halloween peroxide blonde wig?

No kidding, who's bad side did he get on, for these being the only work he can get?

NemeBro
Really, Netflix? The friggin' fan concept art some random internet person probably did in Photoshop looks better than that.

Like I said last time, should have gone with the Vikings guys lol. They turned this guy:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vikings/images/4/48/Travis_Fimmel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170207174759&path-prefix=fr

into this guy:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/vikingstv/images/8/86/Ragnar_Mid-Season_Promo.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20161219020239 My man, you are comparing a post-filming Ragnar Lothbrok to camera test no makeup or editing Geralt.

Wait until we get an actual trailer or at least a teaser. It could still end up looking like shit, but this does nothing for me.

BruceSkywalker
saw the pic earlier, doesn't look too bad

BackFire
Yeah Neme is right, this is little more than a proof of concept, he'll look way better in the final product with makeup/SFX.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by NemeBro
My man, you are comparing a post-filming Ragnar Lothbrok to camera test no makeup or editing Geralt.

Wait until we get an actual trailer or at least a teaser. It could still end up looking like shit, but this does nothing for me.

It's not really meant to be a direct comparison. I guess I should have worded that part better. The Vikings pics were simply to illustrate the quality of work those guys do, which I consider to be quite exceptional compared to a lot of shows/films.

But I admit I am also being rather nitpicky, because I like the Witcher-verse a lot, so I am really hoping for something that's good both visually and from a narrative standpoint. Because fantasy settings in particular can end up looking really cheesy if not done well.

Darth Thor
Good make up should be enough though.

Dont know much about the game, but is SFX needed?

TheVaultDweller
Well, the world has very strong magical elements to it.

Jmanghan
I've seen Immortals. I would say a bit bigger than that would be ideal, if you compare shots of him in that film to how Geralt is portrayed in Witcher 3, for example:

http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/01.henry-cavill-immortals-600x499.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X3P9uCQ.jpg Geralt is ****in hot.

Darth Thor
Well, the world has very strong magical elements to it.

I mean for Geralts look.

TheVaultDweller
I mean for Geralts look.

If they did, it probably wouldn't be much (possibly small eye tweaks in post-production to amplify the effects of contact lenses etc.).

They will more than likely require quite a bit of sfx for most monster/creature characters they decide to include though.

TheVaultDweller
More casting reveals:

https://screenrant.com/witcher-netflix-triss-merigold-anna-shaffer/

Surtur
First look of Henry Cavill as Geralt:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/10/31/18047950/netflix-the-witcher-henry-cavill-geralt-costume

LOL! It looks like he's getting ready to star in a gay porn parody based on The Witcher.

TheVaultDweller
Netflix apparently seems so happy with what they have seen of Season 1 so far that they're considering renewing it for multiple seasons before it even airs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/12/25/netflix-reportedly-happy-with-the-witcher-may-order-multiple-seasons-already/#52c3bda593c1

jaden_2.0
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/18272530/TheWitcher_IGStory_Poster.jpg

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/1/20677111/the-witcher-images-netflix-henry-cavill-geralt-yennefer-ciri-actress

ares834
Geralt looks great. The other two... eh. They aren’t bad but not good either. Yennefer in particular looks too young.

TheVaultDweller
Geralt looks decent. Happy to see I was wrong in my first impression from the initial test. But yeah, agree on Yennefer looking too young.

jaden_2.0
I'm more worried about his voice. Doug Cockle is as integral to Geralt's character as his visual appearance is.

At this point I'd have been happy with a fully CGI series done by the same people who did all the trailer work for The Witcher III. They were all phenomenal.

Still, fingers crossed it works.

BruceSkywalker
more pics...

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/netflix-releases-images-of-the-witchers-geralt-yennefer-and-ciri

i must say i am intrigued

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I'm more worried about his voice. Doug Cockle is as integral to Geralt's character as his visual appearance is.

At this point I'd have been happy with a fully CGI series done by the same people who did all the trailer work for The Witcher III. They were all phenomenal.

Still, fingers crossed it works. It's based on the books, not the game.

----------
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
more pics...

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/netflix-releases-images-of-the-witchers-geralt-yennefer-and-ciri

i must say i am intrigued
I like what's been shown so far. Yen and Ciri look to be too close age-wise for my taste, though.

Surtur
It's based on the books, not the game.

----------

I like what's been shown so far. Yen and Ciri look to be too close age-wise for my taste, though.

Yeah, but the game is gonna be a big reason why a lot of people tune in.

Adam Grimes
Sure, but that doesn't matter.

jaden_2.0
It's based on the books, not the game.

----------

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/c8/9e/4cc89e3ca0f70e0a8d81dda290a2b908.gif

Robtard
Don't get the "gay porn" fantasy vibe that another got, but Caville doesn't look great in this pic, hair looks very fake, imo:

http://lavozdgo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2018-11-02-at-15.15.09-c31d5c8.png

Not played the games or read the books, so I'm open to whatever though.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, that was the first pic that came out. It looked terrible tbh

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
Don't get the "gay porn" fantasy vibe that another got, but Caville doesn't look great in this pic, hair looks very fake, imo:

http://lavozdgo.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Screen-Shot-2018-11-02-at-15.15.09-c31d5c8.png

You really should play Witcher III at least. It might just be my favourite game ever.

Adam Grimes
It sure is in my top 5, too.

BruceSkywalker

you should play witcher 3, really good game.. I haven't read the books either but going too

Robtard
You really should play Witcher III at least. It might just be my favourite game ever.

you should play witcher 3, really good game.. I haven't read the books either but going too
Not playing 1 & 2 first won't matter story-wise?

NemeBro
You don't have to, particularly the first game which is frankly not all that great, but some context might be missed.

BruceSkywalker

nope, the 3rd game is a self contained story

jaden_2.0

Don't know about 1 cos I've never played it. The only links to 2 that actually have a bearing are questions you answer before playing on what you did in 2. Namely, the main antagonist from 2 is Letho, another Witcher. At the end of 2 you can either kill him or spare him. He can be in 3 if you opted to spare him but he's only in 2 missions. One when you find him hiding in a barn being hunted and if you help him you can convince him to help you in the big battle half way through the game (you should do that cos he's useful)

Also...give Keira the papers and convince her to help too.

Robtard
Thanks guys, might look on eBay for a used copy.

Surtur
The 3rd Witcher is an excellent game. Hell I enjoyed the first game too, but I didn't play much of the 2nd. Still, if you're going to play only one of the games the 3rd is the one to play. I also have some of the short stories on my phone.

Why do I get the feeling this series is gonna be awful tho?

Adam Grimes
Thanks guys, might look on eBay for a used copy. Make sure it's the GOTY edition. It has the best dlc/expansions in the last 15 years.

TheVaultDweller
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Hearts of Stone expansion. I found Blood and Wine really good though. The battles where you cleared out the Hanse bases were particularly fun.

BruceSkywalker
this looks really good...

https://deadline.com/video/the-witcher-trailer-henry-cavill-netflix-comic-con/

jaden_2.0
cSqi-8kAMmM

ares834
Looks mediocre. sad

Hopefully it ends up being good, but I don't have much faith that it will.

jaden_2.0
Certainly looks visually better than Britannia or the first couple of seasons of GoT

jaden_2.0
I wasn't the biggest fan of the Hearts of Stone expansion. I found Blood and Wine really good though. The battles where you cleared out the Hanse bases were particularly fun.

Really? Admittedly the plot wasn't the strongest but Olgierd was a great character and Gaunter o Dimm is one of gamings greatest antagonists.

TheVaultDweller
Really? Admittedly the plot wasn't the strongest but Olgierd was a great character and Gaunter o Dimm is one of gamings greatest antagonists.

Eh, I didn't have a problem with the characters. Was mostly some of the quests that I wasn't a fan of. Like the Dead Man's Party one was a bit tedious for me. I want to smack monsters with my sword. Not bob for shoes in a pond. But that's just really down to personal taste. And I remember there was one boss that irritated the hell out of me, though I can't recall which one it was now. Overall though, definitely a game I would recommend as a whole.

TheVaultDweller
cSqi-8kAMmM

There are certain things there that I liked and certain things that I didn't. Still think Yen looks weirdly young relative to the others. And it looks like they are trying to play it close to the chest with the action scenes. Lots of hints, but no really good looks at a lot of it. On the plus side, looks like they have done a pretty good job of getting the colour, background tones, costumes etc. right.

I am honestly not sure what my overall impression is of that lol.

jaden_2.0
Eh, I didn't have a problem with the characters. Was mostly some of the quests that I wasn't a fan of. Like the Dead Man's Party one was a bit tedious for me. I want to smack monsters with my sword. Not bob for shoes in a pond. But that's just really down to personal taste. And I remember there was one boss that irritated the hell out of me, though I can't recall which one it was now. Overall though, definitely a game I would recommend as a whole.

Can imagine it being the weird guardian of the Olgierd estate who kept getting his health replenished by the ghost things. That was stupidly difficult on the hardest setting.

TheVaultDweller
Can imagine it being the weird guardian of the Olgierd estate who kept getting his health replenished by the ghost things. That was stupidly difficult on the hardest setting.

That sounds very familiar and evokes feelings of hostility from me, so it probably was that one.

juggernaut74
Did you guys see the clip of the interviewer at Comic Con trying to trick Cavill into saying he's still Superman?

Kinda funny.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Did you guys see the clip of the interviewer at Comic Con trying to trick Cavill into saying he's still Superman?

Kinda funny.

Sounds funny. Post it if you have it.

juggernaut74
Sounds funny. Post it if you have it. https://movieweb.com/superman-henry-cavill-dceu-update-comic-con-2019/

Darth Thor
Lol yeah that was very awkward. Between the 4 and 5 minute mark talking about that in relation to his Superman vs Witcher fitness level lol.

Adam Grimes
That was hilarious.

Jmanghan
ndl1W4ltcmg

carthage
Looks ****ing great

ares834

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Jmanghan
ndl1W4ltcmg

looks fracking awesome

NemeBro
Cavill's delivery was actually surprisingly spot-on. I'll keep an eye out on this and if word of mouth is decent I'll give it a watch.

TheVaultDweller
Scrotum armour at 1:15 lol. Besides that, rest of it looks decent. Cavill really nails the voice at the 30-odd second mark (yeah, I know I am referring to the game voice acting, but that's what sticks in my head now when I think of him after playing those games).

Surtur
Looks better than I expected.

jaden_2.0
eb90gqGYP9c

TheVaultDweller
Hey, I was going to post that. Oh well, still have these:

AZDPuYeQQNM

KQPxD-GbF2c

8LiD3i9DS_c

Jmanghan
This is actually really looking good.

TheVaultDweller
I'm even starting to warm up to the actress for Yen, who I wasn't sold on at all in the beginning, due to her looking so young. But something about that shot at 0:21-0:22 vibe in her featurette gave me serious Yen vibes, at least appearance-wise.

Patient_Leech
I just saw something on YouTube about this. The big swamp spider monster he was fighting looks cool.

Is this out already? Is it good?

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I just saw something on YouTube about this. The big swamp spider monster he was fighting looks cool.

Is this out already? Is it good?

It comes out on netflix Friday. I will watch it, but I worry it will be shitty.

jaden_2.0
Watched the first episode. It's basically how Geralt becomes the butcher of Blaviken and the Nilfgaard invasion of Cintra.

Not sure it'll have much appeal outside of fans of the games and books tbh.

BrolyBlack
Just started watching stop posting spoilers.

TheVaultDweller
Watched the first episode. I thought it was a solid start. Was impressed overall with the action choreography in particular, especially the Butcher of Blaviken scene.

Badabing
Everybody needs to stop posting spoilers. If I see the same person posting spoilers they will be banned until 2020.

carthage

Surtur
I'll admit I got bored halfway through the first episode and started watching a Cheers rerun instead. I'll have to give this another shot later.

Damn wait just checked my netflix, I didn't even make it halfway. Stopped watching 20 minutes in. Lol.

Guy who plays Geralt seems to be trying to do a voice impression of Geralts voice actor from the games...all the time, whenever he speaks.

Surtur
Okay I gave it a shot and I watched the rest and I did like it.

dadudemon
I half expected to see a quest completion notice pop up on the screen in the first episode with the iconic quest completion music. When it didn't come up I forgot that it wasn't the game.

That's when I knew the show was good.

One complaint I have is that it is TOO true to the games/books. It gets instantly deep into the history and lore right off the bat. How the hell is a casual watcher just supposed to jump into this and make heads or tails of all the times and labels being thrown around? I guess people get over it quickly.

Perhaps I should be thankful that as a fan of the series, I have something to enjoy that is so ridiculous geeky and nerdy that I don't have to worry about ti getting watered down for casual watchers.

Onwards to episode 2. Enjoying the show so far. I will play the shit out of Witcher 3 this whole weekend. I still haven't beaten that game. I have over 70 hours logged in the game and just made it to Skellige. I am an ultra completionist and have done almost every single side quest before traveling along the main story.

TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed the first season overall. I have a few gripes here and there and would have liked to see more of the nerdier Witcher elements (as in the actual background around Witchers themselves, their gear, the potions, Signs etc), but I suspect they're keeping that for later seasons. They already did a ton of world building and dumped a huge amount of info on viewers in the first season.

juggernaut74
I'm 5 episodes in and I don't know I can muster enough willpower to finish it.

Galan007
Originally posted by dadudemon
One complaint I have is that it is TOO true to the games/books. It gets instantly deep into the history and lore right off the bat. How the hell is a casual watcher just supposed to jump into this and make heads or tails of all the times and labels being thrown around? That was my issue.

I've never played the games, or read the books/supplementary material, so I had absolutely NO clue what was going on at first... Especially when the episodes started time-hopping and whatnot. I was still able to piece the story together eventually, but it definitely wasn't written for a n00b like me. /shrug

80sBaby
I have never played the games nor read the books but didn't find it confusing at all. I had questions and suspected there was some time-shenanigans but those were answered by the 4th episode. I never felt confused, though. There were little clues ever since the first episode and the timeskip doesn't make it difficult to follow the plot since the 3 main character's stories are told separately. So when they occur doesn't matter as far as understanding what's happening.

TheVaultDweller
I have noticed one compliant from a lot of people who played the games but never read any of the books, in that the show isn't as Geralt-centric as they expected. Which I kind of understand. He's the main player character in those games and the one you follow the most of the time, so they're used to that. But eh, they were never going to please everyone. But, for someone like me who, who has a bit more knowledge and is a big fan of the setting and the mechanics of the world itself, they did a lot right IMO.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Galan007
That was my issue.

I've never played the games, or read the books/supplementary material, so I had absolutely NO clue what was going on at first... Especially when the episodes started time-hopping and whatnot. I was still able to piece the story together eventually, but it definitely wasn't written for a n00b like me. /shrug

I think a bit of time-skipping while hand-holding the reader/watcher is definitely part of good story telling.

HOWEVER, as the movie Alexander taught us, doing random time-skips without any hand holding is a terrible idea.

I am half tempted to recut The Witcher into a coherent timeline. Just edit in the parts into a chronological timeline. Perhaps even splice together the "stories" so you can watch the entire story unfold for one character as it happens, until the timelines all converge.

There's no reason, at all, that they could just start with Episode 4 (but leave out all the Jennefer story stuff). So at least the watcher can get an idea of why the Nilfgaardians destroy Cintra later on.

In fact, now that I think about it, it would be nice to do the first 4 episodes as the origin stories of:

Geralt
Jennefer
Ciri
Triss

And then make the next 2-3 episodes the history stuff that lead up to Cintra being destroyed.

Damn, I'm super tempted to make my own cut of this show, now. It wouldn't take long. Perhaps just a couple of hours.

I'll continue to watch the show at work while I doing boring change logging for all the stuff we have to do in Jan. smile

TheVaultDweller
I'm used to time jumps at this point, because a lot of other shows, like War of the Worlds, Treadstone, Titans etc. make liberal use of it nowadays. You almost half expect a flashback arc or something.

And it seems to vary from person to person with this. Because I know other people whose first exposure to The Witcher was this show, and they were able to follow it through to the end.

BruceSkywalker
I've watched the first three episodes.. I rather enjoy this.

Does Geralt eventually meet up with Yennifer and Ciri?

I've only played the game. I have;t read any of th novels but ill sometime in 2020

WolvesofBabylon
I knew nothing about the Witcher before starting the show and I really enjoyed the first season. I feel the 2nd half of the season really picked up and was some great television. I may check out the books now.

jaden_2.0
I've watched the first three episodes.. I rather enjoy this.

Does Geralt eventually meet up with Yennifer and Ciri?

I've only played the game. I have;t read any of th novels but ill sometime in 2020

Yes and yes. (The 2nd right at the last scene of the season)

The first is a lot more.... eventful.

BruceSkywalker
Yes and yes. (The 2nd right at the last scene of the season)

The first is a lot more.... eventful.

thanks

juggernaut74
I forced myself to finish the first season and I have no desire to play the games or read the books.

dadudemon
Yennefer's actor has great boobs and she's hot. But why she gotta be naked so much?

-Pr-
It was a bit gratuitous, yeah. It was appropriate for the transformation scene though, i thought.

TheVaultDweller
That's a gripe I've seen among quite a few reviewers and critics as well (probably one of the biggest, actually), and I can't really disagree. Especially when it's also kind of one-sided. For the men, it was generally more tastefully done, with shots either being strategically angled or out of focus to keep things less explicit.

Surtur
Have you guys played the games though? They are pretty gratuitous lol.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, more than once. But they're trying to target a wider audience than the games, or even the books, so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Surtur
Nah I want t*ts and magic and stuff.

Some extra boobies won't hurt anyone.

TheVaultDweller
Well, I haven't seen anyone say they need to remove it. But it's very much possible to shoot it more tastefully. Because you might be fine with it, but the show has gotten criticism for it.

BruceSkywalker
Have you guys played the games though? They are pretty gratuitous lol.

I've played the games and rather enjoy them lol

Surtur
Well, I haven't seen anyone say they need to remove it. But it's very much possible to shoot it more tastefully. Because you might be fine with it, but the show has gotten criticism for it.

Those boob bigots disgust me.

To those timid t*tty tattlers I say nay thee.

TheVaultDweller
Those boob bigots disgust me.

To those timid t*tty tattlers I say nay thee.

Well, the way I look at it is I wouldn't be too keen on watching a show if there was constantly hairy balls onscreen, so I can imagine people who aren't sexually attracted to women feel that way about gratuitous female nudity. So, shows that want to be successful need to be aware of these things. Especially in today's age and social climate.

Surtur
I think it's different because I'd wager even hetero women would rather look at some nice boobies than some dudes balls. When I hear women complimenting the male body it is usually about a guys abs or butt. It's not "he had some really sexy looking balls".

And I honestly don't remember Yennefers boobs popping out that many times.

TheVaultDweller
Well, the show has taken some heat because of it though. Not that I think it will cause that much harm. From what I have seen so far, while reviewers are divided, it seems audience response to season 1 is pretty good overall, 93% audience score on RT, 8.6/10 on IMDB, 4.8/5 Google audience rating etc.

Surtur
Since audiences on RT loved it I'm gonna guess that critics did not.

The show is getting a second season(confirmed before the first season even came out) and I hope they don't decide against boobs in a scene now cuz some people complained. I say don't cave to boob bigots.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>