Moon Rebuilding vs City Evacuation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
Which feat is better in terms of speed?

https://i.postimg.cc/DfjfVd2T/image.jpg

Or

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/Wally_Respect3/evucity.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee305/Wally_Respect3/evucity2.jpg

riv6672
The correct answer is always the Flash.

Sin I AM
Flash.

ghostman
lol superman, no contest. he rebuilt the entire ****ing moon.

DarkSaint85
On the one hand, Flash 'only' evacuated 500k civilians.

Superman was working with billions of pieces (roughly).

That's on the order of magnitude 10,000 times better (roughly).

But Flash did it in 0.00001 microseconds. Superman did it in....10 seconds, say?

That's an order of magnitude of 100 million times shorter.

So Flash is more impressive.

NemeBro
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

But Flash did it in 0.00001 microseconds. Superman did it in....10 seconds, say?

So Flash is more impressive. What of the difference in distances traveled?

krisblaze
This is what it usually boils down to in DC.

Flash has the best feat, but Superman has a feat that no one sans Flash could perform.

abhilegend

So Flash is more impressive.
But Superman traveled a lot more distance than Wally did.

Also Superman was dealing with pieces which were far more than billion in count. Moon has a mass of 80 quintillion tons, the pieces were a lot smaller than being 100 tons each.

Bentley
One of the things that is absurdly good about the Moon feat is the sheer distance Superman needs to travel in order to rebuild the Moon. It's orders of magnitude bigger than your average city.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by abhilegend
But Superman traveled a lot more distance than Wally did.

Also Superman was dealing with pieces which were far more than billion in count. Moon has a mass of 80 quintillion tons, the pieces were a lot smaller than being 100 tons each.

I used the volume of the Moon being 21.9 billion cubic km, or 21.9 thousand billion cubic m.

So assuming the Moon was smashed into cubes 1m in size, there would be 21.9 thousand billion of them. Some are larger, some are smaller, one could err on the conservative side and say they're all about a meter cubed.

So the time is about a billion times shorter for Flash, but Superman moved about 41 million times more 'items'.

So on those two values, overall, Flash is more impressive.

Distance I don't know, as JL #9 never gave one. Phildo mentioned he calculated it, and Superman travelled about twice the diameter of the moon? So about 7,000km. Haven't checked that, but it's Phildo, he wouldn't lowball this.

Flash made 266,000 trips (he saved 532,000 people, sometimes carrying one, sometimes 2; so I lowballed, and assumed he's always carrying two). He carried them 35 miles away, so that's a 70mile round trip, or 100km. So Flash travelled 26,600,000km.

In a timeframe that was a billion times shorter.

DarkSaint85
Newsflash:. Phildo has told me that I am grossly misrepresenting him.

Back to square one. How far does Supes travel?

abhilegend
I used the volume of the Moon being 21.9 billion cubic km, or 21.9 thousand billion cubic m.

So assuming the Moon was smashed into cubes 1m in size, there would be 21.9 thousand billion of them. Some are larger, some are smaller, one could err on the conservative side and say they're all about a meter cubed.

So the time is about a billion times shorter for Flash, but Superman moved about 41 million times more 'items'.

So on those two values, overall, Flash is more impressive.

Distance I don't know, as JL #9 never gave one. Phildo mentioned he calculated it, and Superman travelled about twice the diameter of the moon? So about 7,000km. Haven't checked that, but it's Phildo, he wouldn't lowball this.

Flash made 266,000 trips (he saved 532,000 people, sometimes carrying one, sometimes 2; so I lowballed, and assumed he's always carrying two). He carried them 35 miles away, so that's a 70mile round trip, or 100km. So Flash travelled 26,600,000km.

In a timeframe that was a billion times shorter.
Superman would have to travel across moon volume to manually place each piece as he said he would do it piece by piece.

So 21.9 billion cubic KM travelled more or less. Now do the calc.

Mindship
Superman reassembled an inanimate mass -- huge, yes, but essentially a big rock, and it took him a few seconds. Assembling celestial bodies from bits and chunks is also in line with real processes (ie, gravity is gonna help).

Flash had to evacuate a whole city's worth of living beings, and he had to do it much more quickly and with much greater care (human fragility > rock fragility), over and over and over again. And there is no precedent in the real world for this type of event.

Flash wins, imo.

abhilegend
We are talking about speed here, Superman had to place each piece of the moon at exact place manually.

DarkSaint85
Wait, who said it was purely about speed? Is this another thread where no matter what we say, Superman HAS to win?

Oh you!

But if we're using 21.9billion km, that's 813 times more distance than Flash's.

Which still doesn't quite make up for the time.

In summary:

Flash had a timeframe a billion times shorter. (^9)

Superman moved 41 million more iterms (^6).

Superman travelled 813 times the distance (^2).

So overall, Flash is better by an order of 10 times, roughly.

NemeBro
Wait, who said it was purely about speed?

Originally posted by abhilegend
Which feat is better in terms of speed?

DarkSaint85
Yah, I caught that, made massive edits to my post.

Bentley

When typing this you should've figured you were using some wonky math. I mean, if you count Flash making round trips in a tiny distance (35 miles) and you know Superman had to do round trips (to go and pick a different piece of the moon, get it back and fetch a different on) over a much bigger distance, you should already figure that the error of magnitude in 7000kms is flagrant.

Not only Superman did bigger trips, he also made a lot more of them (at least a billion by your own admission). Obviously he travelled a much bigger distance than Flash did.

I think that Flash still ends up being faster due to his feat being done in a very brief timeframe but the underselling of Kal's feat in this post is damn obvious.

Call H1 so he teaches you some math ahah

abhilegend
Wait, who said it was purely about speed? Is this another thread where no matter what we say, Superman HAS to win?

Oh you!

But if we're using 21.9billion km, that's 813 times more distance than Flash's.

Which still doesn't quite make up for the time.

In summary:

Flash had a timeframe a billion times shorter. (^9)

Superman moved 41 million more iterms (^6).

Superman travelled 813 times the distance (^2).

So overall, Flash is better by an order of 10 times, roughly.
But then you have to take the fact into account that the pieces were scattered across more than moon diameter and Superman had to go all over it to get them.

Now do the calc.

DarkSaint85
Yeah but you then have to assume he's not collecting more than one piece and fusing it as he flies along, then fusing a second piece etc.

So you do the calc smile

@Bentley: I already edited...

Abhi:
https://media.tenor.com/images/f83a206bc74ae92492a4543f222b97c4/tenor.gif

abhilegend
Yeah but you then have to assume he's not collecting more than one piece and fusing it as he flies along, then fusing a second piece etc.

So you do the calc smile

@Bentley: I already edited...

Abhi:
https://media.tenor.com/images/f83a206bc74ae92492a4543f222b97c4/tenor.gif
laughing out loud

riv6672

Galan007
Flash was intended by the writer to be moving sub-c, as the scans clearly state twice. Superman obviously wins by default.
herbhappy

Anywho, the thing that really impressed me about Superman's feat(other than how damn fast he did it) is that he rebuilt the moon complete with its previous craters and general topography, ffs:
https://s7d8.turboimg.net/t1/39444937_Justice_League_2018-_009-022.jpg

Asinine.

DarkSaint85
thumb up it's a good mental feat as well. Can any of you recreate your entire house from memory, including all the weird paint features and the random cracks?

Now scale up to a block. A town. A city. The Moon...lol.

Galan007
Exactly. So there was clearly more to it than him just randomly throwing moon chunks together and letting gravity do the rest. This was a very precise reconstruction.

It's also not an unprecedented memory feat for Supes. This is the same dude who was able to recall how to build a Miracle Machine from scratch, just by glancing at Brainiac's MM for a few seconds.

Mindship
Originally posted by Galan007
...he rebuilt the moon complete with its previous craters and general topography...Good point. I had not considered this aspect of the feat.

spetznaz

DarkSaint85
Phildo and I are preparing a document. It will win the Nobel prize.

Magnon
Superman's feat got a "wow" out of Batman. That's unprecedented. And insurmountable.

CosmicComet
The flash feat was calculated at like trillions of times ftl.

I think Philo gave a number akin to quintillioms of times ftl but I didn't see a calc with it.

I'd love some hard numbers, but we need to know the average size of the pieces

One Big Mob
It seems some of the Superman feat happens off panel, or in a longer timeframe than that page. Plus that whole "faster ways" thing.

Even if you assumed the whole feat happened over the span of the comic though it's still a ridiculous feat. Especially considering how it was put together, which honestly makes no sense. You ever try and fit something together that doesn't want to fit? That's when things get smashed and thrown.
Even if he just smashed everything together forcibly, he still had to carve out the moon features all around the entire thing. Feat just goes from impossible to half of impossible either way you look at it.

Whereas Flash was going under lightspeed. smile

Damborgson
Anywho, the thing that really impressed me about Superman's feat(other than how damn fast he did it) is that he rebuilt the moon complete with its previous craters and general topography, ffs:
https://s7d8.turboimg.net/t1/39444937_Justice_League_2018-_009-022.jpg

That's really stupid tbh 😅

Right down to the craters, feel very pre crisis.

---------

I dont know the calls as mentioned, but solely off of the intensity of the situation and the time given to do the deed...I think Supermans feat is more impressive for the depth that it took to perform. Rebuilding and remembering an opposed to just finding and carrying. /shrug

Though Flash may have still moved faster.

Galan007
Originally posted by CosmicComet
The flash feat was calculated at like trillions of times ftl.

I think Philo gave a number akin to quintillioms of times ftl but I didn't see a calc with it. https://i.imgur.com/Men5KSo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yIrw7W1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2GCjVYa.jpg

herbhappy

Philosophía
Phildo and I are preparing a document. It will win the Nobel prize. It's roughly finished.

Are you people ready to have your mind blown?

xJLxKing

CosmicComet

Philosophía
Dont keep teasing me. https://i.gifer.com/Gdsa.gif

Philosophía
Bottom

Philosophía
of the

Philosophía
page

Philosophía
edit.

Galan007
Originally posted by Phil
Are you people ready to have your mind blown? Yes! Blow me, Phil. thumb up

Philosophía
Ok, so, now that I logged out of my Darksaint account, let's do some math.

1). Time frame

Flash

0.00001 us (microseconds). That's 1 second * 10^(-11) seconds.

Superman

Let's approximate it, based on the dialogue, at 20 seconds (and for easier calculation, to make it round, as we'll split this time in two later...you'll see why).

So the timeframe in which Flash did his feat is about 2 * 10^12 times smaller.

2). Distance and speed

Flash

Total number of people = 532000
Carried "one at a time, sometimes two" for a distance of 35 miles.
Let's say he carries 1.5 people on average.
The total distance moved by Flash = 532000/1.5 (total number of people/people he carries on average) * 70 miles (there and back) = 24,826,666 miles.

Turn into kilometers, that's aprox 40,000,000 km.

He did this in 10^(-11) seconds.

That means that he travelled around 13 trillion times the speed of light.

So Flash moves at 13 * 10^12 times the speed of light.

Superman

Let's start with a few pointers:

- Total volume of the moon = 21.9 billion cubic km
- We can see (1st panel) that there's no large pieces of the moon left, until Superman starts merging the debris:
https://imgur.com/a/79ksQfd
- We can see some of the chunks Superman is carying, in the same issue, like here:
https://imgur.com/a/EVcHB5j
And here:
https://imgur.com/a/MU0Abby
https://imgur.com/a/JiUZbZ7
https://imgur.com/a/C4DvJYV
Remember: This is after he already blitzed the debris to merge it at superspeed, and it's just the finishing touches, so the original pieces very probably were very small. . But, for the sake of the argument..let's take it like that.
We can observe that some of them are fist sized, some of them are human sized, some are bigger. Now, the average human body has a volume of 95 liters. Let's say 100. That's 0.1 cubic meters. But, let's be generous. Let's make the average debris as 100 times as large as that and say it's 10 cubic meters.

So we have the moon at 21.9 billion cubic km, split into pieces of average 10 cubic meters.

21.9 * 10^9 * (m^3)^3 = 21.9 * 10^9 * 10^9 = 21.9 * 10^18 cubic meters total volume of the moon.

That means that there are 21.9 * 10^18 cubic meters (total volume) divided by 10 cubic meters (chunks volume) = 21.9 * 10^17 pieces of moon. Lets downgrade even more, and say it's 20 * 10^17 = 2 * 10^18 pieces of moon or, better said, 2 quintillion pieces.

- So we know we have 2 quintillion pieces. Now, we move on to the volume they're spreaded out. From the rebuilding scan, we can see that the diameter of the sphere in which they were thrown (i.e. omnidirectional) is approximately 2 times the diameter of the moon. That is 2*3,474 km = 6948 ~ 7000 km.

The volume of the sphere, V = 1.43675504E+21 m3 =~ 2 * 10^21 cubic meters

To make calculations possible, let's assume that the 2 * 10^ 18 pieces of debris are evenly distributes in the sphere, which would make the distance between two adjacent pieces inside it 100 meters.

Now, what other information do we have?

Superman was taking these pieces, and was grouping and fusing them, to make a bigger piece. Then he moved on to other pieces, and did the same thing.

And then he took those two bigger pieces he fused, and fused THEM together.

That's why we see different chunks, all over in space, being formed, as he fuses groups of debris together.

Let's say that Superman fuses them in groups of 100 chunks of 100 times his size each. And then he moves on to the next group, does the same. And then he fuses these two, and moves on to others, etc.

That means Superman travels, just for the first grouping of debris into groups of 100:
The distance between the chunks - i.e. in absolute total, if he were to fuse the moon in ONE go, he'd have to travel 2 quintillion (pieces) * 100 meters. That is 2 * 10^17 km. That is already a 100 billion times the speed of light, and that's if he had played "snake".

Next, he'd have to take these groups of 100, and let's say fuse them into another group of 100 (remember, each of these 100 is already 100 times larger than him).

The distance, is again, the same, since the bigger chunks would have the same overall distance between them. That is another 2*10^17 km.

And, also, remember something else - the bigger the pieces he has to fuse, the more precise, and the more time, he has to take to do the process of fusing itself.

He wants to make the Moon the EXACT same way it was.

Let's say he ALWAYS fuses pieces by grouping them into 100 (even when some of them get as big as mountains -- essentially forcing him to fuse 100 mountains in one go...then 10,000 mountains with another 10,000 mountains in one go, etc.)

That means, in order to get the FINALIZED moon, by incrementally bigger chunks, he'd have to do this trip:
The distance he has to travel each time = (2*10^17)
The number of times, in total, he has to travel it, which is 2 * 10 ^18 / 100 = 2 * 10 ^16.

So, f*cking finally, if anybody follows this, we have the final distance:
2 * 10^17 km * 2 * 10 ^16 = 4 * 10^ 33 km.

This is also assuming that all of the pieces that he has to fuse are literally one next to another, and that he doesn't have to travel in a completely different part of the sphere to get it.

Think of it like a convenient puzzle, where the pieces are split over an area, but they're in the exact same order as they were when complete.

How convenient! But let's assume it's so...

Now, we go back to the beginning of the post where we approximate this all took 20 seconds, judging by the dialogue with Batman.

How much of that time is spent FUSING, with the utmost precision to make it exactly how it was, these large pieces (remember, he does this with his hands/heat vision and whatnot), and how much time is spend travelling from one piece to the next? The reason I made it a round 20 seconds is because it's reasonable to assume it was half/half.

So he spent 10 seconds travelling 4 * 10 ^33 km. That's 4*10^32 km per second.

So Superman is, in terms of flight speed travelled, aprox 10^26 times the speed of light.

So that's 100 SEPTILION times the speed of light. Or, to put it better, it's a a 100 million billion billion times the speed of light. Or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times the speed of light.

As far as the other 10 seconds he spend fusing? He had to do the fusing process, initially, for the first grouping, 2 quintillion times, for each of the initial pieces.
Then, he had to do it 0.02 quintillion times, for the bigger pieces, obtained by grouping the smaller ones. Then 0.0002 for...etc.

Let's approximate it at, simply, 2 quintillion times. What's a few trillion between friends?

How much, from his perspective (i.e. his '1 second passes'), do you think it took Superman for the pieces, on average? Remember, the bigger the pieces get, the more he has to fuse, the difficult it becomes. AND he has to put them EXACTLY the way they were.

Let's average of 50 seconds, from his perspective. The first ones are fast, but the later ones are slower. Remember the veritable mountains (and bigger) that I mentioned, about Superman having to fuse perfectly? Do you think it would take him 50 seconds without superspeed? Of course not. But again, let's take the minimum.

That means, that what would be 10 seconds from 'normal time' perspective, would be 50 * 2 * 10^18 from Superman's perspective. That means each second, from his perspective, would be 10^19 seconds.

To put this into a context that can be easier grasped, from Superman's perception level, inside a single second, he lives the entire age of the Universe, ten times over.

You can adjust any number, but this is the ballpark, folks.

Yes! Blow me, Phil. thumb up

https://i.gifer.com/51tR.gif

abhilegend
Well, ****.

DarkSaint85
Lol when WE calculated it, I told Phildo it would make people vomit in anger.

abhilegend
Don't let carver see it.

xJLxKing
Lmao

Awesome

Galan007
Good job, Phil.

h1 would be proud. thumb up

CosmicComet
Nice. So this is a fraction of an attoseond feat in terms of reaction.

An attoseond would make a second feel like over twice the age of the universe. Phil is talking about 10x the universe's age in this feat.

Magnon
The Moon rebuilding was also a nice STRENGTH feat for Superman. Let us estimate the strength required according to Newton's 2nd law F = ma (I'll be using the metric units).

According to Phil's post,
1) Superman's average speed was v = 4*10^35 m/s
2) the average volume of the Moon chunks was V = 10 m^3
3) the average distance a Moon chunk had to be moved was d = 100 m.

Now, the average density of the Moon is approx. 3000 kg/m^3 so that the mass of a single Moon chunk was approx. m = 3*10^4 kg.

A given piece of Moon chunk started at rest, then got moved the distance d by Superman, then ended up at rest. This means that Superman had to first ACCELERATE the piece for 50 meters, then DECELERATE it for the next 50 meters. In order to maintain his average speed v, he thus had to accelerate from 0 to 2v during the first 50 meters, then decelerate from 2v to 0 during the latter 50 meters. The uniform acceleration required was thus a = 4v^2/d (this formula has been derived in Wikipedia, for example). Here, v and d are known from Phil's post, yielding an acceleration a = 6.4*10^69 m/s^2.

Newton's 2nd law now tells us that the average force applied by Superman was
F = ma = 2*10^74 N
, where N = Newton. We know that lifting 1 kg on Earth requires 10 N, so this is equivalent to Superman lifting 2*10^73 kg. This may be compared to the total mass of our visible Universe of 3.4*10^54 kg.

Therefore, the strength applied by Superman was equivalent to Superman lifting 6*10^18 Universes, or 6 quintillion i.e. 6 billion billion Universes for 20 seconds (or so) straight.

Pretty sweet.

DarkSaint85
Looking back, I'm not sure I want to take credit for the calcs.....it's all Phildo, baby.

Philosophía
You just mad Superman is stylin` on Flash.

https://i.imgur.com/jCFY3x8.jpg

meep-meep
Nerds.

Philosophía
Nice. So this is a fraction of an attoseond feat in terms of reaction.

An attoseond would make a second feel like over twice the age of the universe. Phil is talking about 10x the universe's age in this feat. And I lowballed it quite a lot. I made as many assumptions I could that would lower the number. Originally posted by meep-meep
Nerds. #NerdShaming

Rage.Of.Olympus

SquallX

Bentley

SquallX
Originally posted by Bentley
Kal confirmed autistic?

laughing

I would love to be this autistic then.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Magnon
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
It's not about memory. It simply isn't doable physically outside of magic. Did he rebuild the Apollo landing site, including Armstrong's foot print as well?
The landing site, including Armstrong's foot print, are not magical. They were originally produced by ordinary physical means, meaning that Superman can reproduce them via purely physical means if he is Super enough -- and he is.

-K-M-
Yeah but does he know how they get the caramel in the caramilk bar?

Philosophía

Bentley
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
It's not about memory. It simply isn't doable physically outside of magic. Did he rebuild the Apollo landing site, including Armstrong's foot print as well?

I know that being a Thor fan you probably thing flinging a hammer is magic, so I won't take this post against you.

CatL18
Superman reassembled entire moon from nothing while he is talking about Batman.
This mean that Superman gatherd every piece of debris from around the space and reassembled them properly with his super-strength or heat-vision or super-breath in less than a minute.

So, can't we conclude that Superman has MMFTL speed and attosecond operational speed?

DarkSaint85
No, we can't.

CatL18
No, we can't.
I saw previous post.
This is insane.
Don't show them Superman haters.

SquallX

abhilegend
Bump

spetznaz
Originally posted by krisblaze
This is what it usually boils down to in DC.

Flash has the best feat, but Superman has a feat that no one sans Flash could perform.

This is actually very deep.

-Pr-
Originally posted by spetznaz
This is actually very deep.

That's generally how it is. I think most comic-readers just don't get how astronomically faster Superman is than almost everyone else that isn't a Flash.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.