Hermit Luke, a George Lucas concept not Rian Johnson's.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AncientPower
A 2013 concept art approved by Lucas seems to indicate that Luke's TLJ story is exactly what was planned from the start. Especially the Col. Kurtz reference.

Source:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqcj_AVFnTQ/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=W031pQABAAGBznFvh4eE34tj3X9a

As a bonus, I love this video:

1kjEnDj7K30

RealistRacism
George went insane right after he started burning coal sad

Coincidence? I think not.

Trocity
laughing out loud

ares834
Lucas's original idea did have Luke living off on some backwater world. However, the notion that he wanted the Jedi to be destroyed and cutting himself off from the force was entirely RJ's idea. Lucas still intended for Luke to train Jedi.

BackFire
It was literally the most interesting Luke Skywalker has ever been in the entire series.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by BackFire
It was literally the most interesting Luke Skywalker has ever been in the entire series. By Luke being Surtur? laughing out loud

They even had Luke drinking milk from a teet in that movie, not unlike Surtur nursing from his brother Ymir.

BackFire
Whatcha got against teets, bro?

AncientPower
My God, it's BackFire. We all bow before your granduer, O Ancient One. My thread is not worthy.

One Big Mob
Not much, but it was really fukking stupid is all. They might as well have went all the way and had Luke wank off over a sleeping Rey to fit funnyman Luke.

Goes from trying to kill nephews with his saber, to trying to disperse some midiclorians all over Rey's shoulder.

Lot of 'potential' there

AncientPower
Heathen!

BackFire
I don't disagree with you, I think Last Jedi had some really bad misfires when it came to attempts at humor. That said, overall I thought its version of Luke genuinely was probably the most interesting in the series.

One Big Mob
Is wanking off a thing in Star Wars? I can't find it anywhere in The Complete Encyclopedia.
But seriously, if you're going to get divorced-dad level depressed Luke, there's no way he wasn't thinking about at least firing one out when he saw Rey determined to be Rey like that. If you introduced a pretty girl into a common ground for hobos, there's no way they'd nurse out a glass of dog milk and tell them to get lost. Naive girl who has no idea about the force, legendary bloodline hero, hermit, "he's acting like a reel humin bean would act if he got his Order killed," etc.

One Big Mob
I don't disagree with you, I think Last Jedi had some really bad misfires when it came to attempts at humor. That said, overall I thought its version of Luke genuinely was probably the most interesting in the series. Tough to go from EU Luke to that tbh. I like him better even in a shit story like Dark Empire than I liked him in TLJ.

It only *popped* more because Mark is a great actor.

Freedon Nadd
Lucas loves to ruin his own fictional universe for reasons that are beyond understanding.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by ares834
Lucas's original idea did have Luke living off on some backwater world. However, the notion that he wanted the Jedi to be destroyed and cutting himself off from the force was entirely RJ's idea. Lucas still intended for Luke to train Jedi.
Yeah,ap making some long ass leaps, per usual

ares834
It was literally the most interesting Luke Skywalker has ever been in the entire series.

Interesting? Perhaps. Shame it absolutely ruined his character though.

Rockydonovang
Interesting? Perhaps. Shame it absolutely ruined his character though.
thumb up

It may be interesting to have finn kill a bunch of storm troopers a few seconds after he was shook by a fellow storm trooper dying, but if you don't show why/how that change occured, it's still lazy ass writing.

Darth Thor

thumb up

Exactly. Theres nothing wrong with Luke being in exile in and of itself. It was the reasoning and characterisation that was wrong.

Originally posted by One Big Mob

It only *popped* more because Mark is a great actor.

thumb up

Yes. Marks performance was great despite him knowing the material was butchering Luke.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.