The Outer Worlds

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
From the creator of Fallout

MGLTgt0EEqc

ares834
Looks like a mix between Fallout, Mass Effect, and Borderlands...

Me likey. Me likey a lot.

BackFire
Looks great.

Jmanghan
This looks fantastic.

Arachnid1
The Outer Worlds has been announced as an Epic Store exclusive.

First Metro, then Phoenix Point, now this? Lame.

ares834
No buy for me then.

Kazenji
It's only for a year if you read up on it.

Arachnid1
I know, so is Phoenix Point. After that, it'll probably still be a full price launch or steam. I'll get both eventually, but it'll be a deep sale on steam or the high seas if I don't feel like waiting.

ares834
If I get this game, it's only going to be via torrenting. I don't care if it's "only" a one year exclusive deal. I refuse to support this kind of anti-consumer bullshit. I'm not going to give the publishers a single cent, even when they do finally get around to putting it on Steam or GOG or wherever else.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
If I get this game, it's only going to be via torrenting. I don't care if it's "only" a one year exclusive deal. I refuse to support this kind of anti-consumer bullshit. I'm not going to give the publishers a single cent, even when they do finally get around to putting it on Steam or GOG or wherever else. Well when they do release it to steam and GOG, it's not still going to be anti-consumer, no?

ares834
I'd argue that timed exclusives (especially year long exclusivity) are anti-consumer.

Kazenji
Yeah it's bullshit when they do it, Same thing when they do it with consoles.

Smasandian
Yep.

But..according to reports, Metro Exodus sold 2.5 times the copies compared to previous games.

Arachnid1
So far this game has been fantastic. Gamepass is the sh*t. I'll finish it on xbox but I'll get it on steam in a year too if the modding scene is decent.

cdtm
Originally posted by ares834
No buy for me then.

Might end up being my first.

The only reason this Epic exclusivity is happening at all, is because they're making really good offers. Meaning, this is pro small business.

Fans don't understand just how big an issue money is for an up and coming indy. If Epics deals are so good, that can only encourage more small development, of games we may never have seen get off the ground if not for these sweetheart deals.

So I HOPE this cuts into Steam enough for them to respond by making sweet deals of their own, and we end up seeing a golden age of small game developers making ever higher quality games. Competition is always, always good for consumers.

Smasandian
Technically, it's not an exclusive for Epic. You can buy it on the Window store if you want.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
Technically, it's not an exclusive for Epic. You can buy it on the Window store if you want.

Now that would be a non purchase for me, if it were the only option available.

The stupid Windows Stream or whatever it was called, where they tried to lock users into ONLY using the Windows Store, was a real turnoff for me.

Smasandian
I'm not sure what you are talking about but I don't see how the Windows store is any different than Steam. A purchased game is tied to the stores account.

Smasandian
Not feeling this game.....

The lack of variety of weapons, armor and enemies is killing it.
I have no vested interest in the overall storyline or characters.

I'm not a big fan of the skill or perks system either. Increasing skills doesn't make any tangible difference. The perks are boring as hell (aka....perk increases 20% weakpoint damage).....

It's a well made game....no bugs, looks good, sounds good and voice acting is great. Writing seems to be OK too.

However, the rest of the game is middle of the road. It's all functional for sure but nothing stands out. It's blah.

Prefer Fallout or Skyrim far more than this game.

cdtm
I'm not sure what you are talking about but I don't see how the Windows store is any different than Steam. A purchased game is tied to the stores account.

MS came out with the Stream to compete with the Chromebook, and made the stupid move of locking users into Windows Store downloads only. You couldn't even use a CD program if a Windows Store equivalent didn't exist, and the program would install off the store.

They eventually gave the option to unlock Streams for general use, but I never forgave them for trying that tactic in the first place.

Arachnid1
Not feeling this game.....

The lack of variety of weapons, armor and enemies is killing it.
I have no vested interest in the overall storyline or characters.

I'm not a big fan of the skill or perks system either. Increasing skills doesn't make any tangible difference. The perks are boring as hell (aka....perk increases 20% weakpoint damage).....

It's a well made game....no bugs, looks good, sounds good and voice acting is great. Writing seems to be OK too.

However, the rest of the game is middle of the road. It's all functional for sure but nothing stands out. It's blah.

Prefer Fallout or Skyrim far more than this game. Yeah, I felt this as I got on. Strong start but the longer you play, the more it showed its faults. The only companions worth anything were Parvati and Vicar Max. ESPECIALLY Vicar Max. Dude was the best companion I've ever encountered in these types of games. Great character arc, and legit lol @ everything that came out of his mouth.

Other than that, loot variety was super lacking which killed exploration. Enemy variety was nonexistent. Speech checks only ever amounted to some extra XP and rarely impacted the mission. Same with science/engineering/medical checks. The few times it did impact a mission, it was pointless because you could find the key to the electronic lock a foot away or it only ended up getting you out of an easy combat encounter or something. A lot of the "choice" was super surface level.

Like you said, perks were trash and didn't impact much.

Story was boring. It's a space opera. They should have gone full sci-fi and brought in different alien civilizations and whatnot. The actual struggle/big point of the game was beyond boring. The antagonist was also really unforgettable (a single member of the corporate board I heard so much about all damn game?), and didn't even show up until near the end.

This definitely was not New Vegas. I get it's not a triple A entry from them, but that doesn't excuse it's RPG faults. Hopefully the sequel is better since they'll have that Microsoft funding.

Smasandian
Speech checks are a joke. I enjoy games that allow you to go through encounters using persuasion or speech skills. I always felt Fallout/Skyrim did it well.

But they become meaningless when every conversation allows you to use them. And due to the how skill are done, you have 50 skill level in all three categories so at every single conversation, I have the ability to finish the quest easily.

Also, I understand peoples complaints about lock picking and hacking minigames being removed but I miss them. Why have lock picking when it's so easy to find lock picks and 90% of the containers are around level 25 requirements. But I realized loot is god awful so who cares! Oh, I get more ammo..which increases my ammo from 2090 to 3000!

There is no immersion at all. Areas feel like a map. It's all the same. Same enemy types wearing the same looking armour. The same 3 alien animals.....each building has the same textures and look and layout. It has the same looking desk, door and toilet. It's filled with way too many consumable that are useless...because the game is easy and you receive way too many health packs. Do enemies have levels? At least in Fallout, if you wander into a deathclaw camp, you get destroyed...or go through 90 stimpaks.

And the biggest problem.....Fallout is filled with cool little moments. It's hard to explain but I still remember some of the things I ran into while playing Fallout 3. Or Fallout 4. I forget what has happened in this game because it's carbon copy.

For instance, Fallout 3 had a neat area with two families that were cannibals/incest and it was great. It was intriguing.

The Outer Worlds copies this but it's just one family and so obvious they were cannibals. And to defeat the quest, I just hacked the door and I was done. It was lame.

Disappointing game and I really don't understand praise it is getting. Yes, the conversations choices are good but nothing else stands above anything Bioware or Bethesda has done.

cdtm
Sounds like Mass Effect 1.

NemeBro
Speech checks are a joke. I enjoy games that allow you to go through encounters using persuasion or speech skills. I always felt Fallout/Skyrim did it well.

But they become meaningless when every conversation allows you to use them. And due to the how skill are done, you have 50 skill level in all three categories so at every single conversation, I have the ability to finish the quest easily.

Also, I understand peoples complaints about lock picking and hacking minigames being removed but I miss them. Why have lock picking when it's so easy to find lock picks and 90% of the containers are around level 25 requirements. But I realized loot is god awful so who cares! Oh, I get more ammo..which increases my ammo from 2090 to 3000!

There is no immersion at all. Areas feel like a map. It's all the same. Same enemy types wearing the same looking armour. The same 3 alien animals.....each building has the same textures and look and layout. It has the same looking desk, door and toilet. It's filled with way too many consumable that are useless...because the game is easy and you receive way too many health packs. Do enemies have levels? At least in Fallout, if you wander into a deathclaw camp, you get destroyed...or go through 90 stimpaks.

And the biggest problem.....Fallout is filled with cool little moments. It's hard to explain but I still remember some of the things I ran into while playing Fallout 3. Or Fallout 4. I forget what has happened in this game because it's carbon copy.

For instance, Fallout 3 had a neat area with two families that were cannibals/incest and it was great. It was intriguing.

The Outer Worlds copies this but it's just one family and so obvious they were cannibals. And to defeat the quest, I just hacked the door and I was done. It was lame.

Disappointing game and I really don't understand praise it is getting. Yes, the conversations choices are good but nothing else stands above anything Bioware or Bethesda has done. Well the problem might just be you have really bad taste if you think Skyrim did persuasion or speech well tbh.

Smasandian
Originally posted by cdtm
Sounds like Mass Effect 1.

In some cases, yes, it feels like Bioware.

The difference is Mass Effect had an excellent storyline, really good characters (and a lot more of them) and a very interesting universe.

This has none of that. In the 15-20 hours so far, the main quest is about getting chemicals to bring your colonists back.

Jmanghan
So how is this game btw?

Smasandian
A missed opportunity.

I hope the sequel fixes all the problems I had with this game.

Trocity
I bought it and beat it the first month it came out, so it has gone out of my mind quite a bit, but I do know it was a pretty disappointing experience.

Not only was it a lot more shallow than I thought it'd be, it was also a very easy game. Like... even on the hardest difficulty, you could steamroll through it.

The story was very forgettable, as in I dont even remember it. I do seem to remember it ending fairly abruptly, though.

Smasandian
Yeah. I don't really remember it either...

I just remember the bad things...like how each planet had the same monsters/enemies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.