Brightburn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
Director: David Yarovesky
Producer: James Gunn

_4Zitk9phtA

riv6672
Seems watchable.

Flyattractor
Looks like WB/DC might have to sue...

Dr Will Hatch
I bet serial killer psycho Superman murders less people than Cavill in Man Of Steel.

Tzeentch
Is this the third Superman movie from Snyder?

NemeBro
A Superman horror movie? So like Man of Steel?

steverules_2
This is like if superman were evil then

riv6672
^^^so MANY zings!!!! laughing

steverules_2

riv6672
Reminded me of THE Cape, the comic based on the Joe Hill short story.

SquallX

steverules_2
Okay

riv6672
Pretty much.
I had problems w. MOS, but not the ones you pointed out that others usually go on about.

Estacado

BruceSkywalker
An evil Superman movie

I'm in

ShadowFyre
I would like to see this. Sounds cool. I have a feeling it won't be a blockbuster though.

Surtur
He's not an evil Superman, it's a kid. "Irredeemable" is an example of an evil Superman. Supposedly they are making a movie based on it.

This seems more like "Damien, but he's an alien" than "Evil Superman".

Flyattractor
I had pretty much the same prob with Returns and MOS... and that is that both are BORING!!!!!!

The Hell!

Impediment
I like Man of Steel. Not perfect, but not dog shit.

This looks pretty good. I'm in to see a psychotic Superman kid.

Flyattractor
Yeah. This is what happens when you can't SPANK your kid.

Surtur
Man of Steel is more watchable than pretty much every Reeve movie besides Superman 2.

Darth Thor

Surtur
People forget Supermans first superpowered fight was against zod and the kyrptonians lol. Before that the best he did is save some oil rig. He wasn't used to fighting on his level. Zod wasn't just intent on killing Kal, but killing humans too. This is why when people try to go "Well Superman should have taken the fight elsewhere" it's silly. No, Zod wanted to kill humans more than Superman.

And crying Superman killed is also silly IMO. What would you have him do, let people die so his morals can stay intact? Is he Captain Janeway from Star Trek now?

Flyattractor
I thought the Oil Rig Blew up?

Surtur
Well he saved people on it I guess.

Flyattractor
He actually Bothered to?

Geez I don't hardly remember ANYTHING about that movie...Other then I nearly nodded off a couple of times.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
Man of Steel is more watchable than pretty much every Reeve movie besides Superman 2.

And also the first movie too, Kid

but i guess the SFX is all dated for you.

Impediment
Superman '78 is an awesome film. The only thing I hate is the goofy ****ing "reverse time by reversing Earth's rotation" ending. Ugh.

Superman II was equally awesome except for the magical "S" shield net.

Superman 3 was 5/10 "meh", even with the genius of Richard Pryor. I enjoyed the evil doppelganger scenes.

We do not speak of Superman 4. That's a ban worthy offense.

NemeBro
Reversing Earth's rotation was just a visual effect I think. He simply flew faster than the speed of light to go back in time.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Impediment

Have you seen the Donner cut of the 2nd movie?

Impediment
Originally posted by Kazenji
Have you seen the Donner cut of the 2nd movie?

Truthfully, no. I want to but have yet to get around to watching it. Is it any better?

NemeBro
This film actually unironically looks like it could be good by the way. Haven't seen the premise before in a film.

Impediment
I agree. This looks very intriguing.

I'm hoping that DC will make an animated film of Superman: Red Son, eventually.

Surtur
And also the first movie too, Kid

but i guess the SFX is all dated for you.

The SFX is god damn hilarious. The scene with him as a kid running besides the train? LMFAO! If SFX were an issue for me I wouldn't like Superman 2(and I have indeed seen the Donner cut).

That isn't why I disliked the movie though. I guess I don't dislike it, I just like Man of Steel better.

steverules_2
Superman '78 is an awesome film. The only thing I hate is the goofy ****ing "reverse time by reversing Earth's rotation" ending. Ugh.

He does the reverse earth thing is supes 2 as well in the Donner cut

Superman 3 was 5/10 "meh", even with the genius of Richard Pryor. I enjoyed the evil doppelganger scenes.

We do not speak of Superman 4. That's a ban worthy offense.

Remember Nuclear man

riv6672
Originally posted by steverules_2
Remember Nuclear man
And God bless Lenny Luthor

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dcmovies/images/0/0d/Lenny_Luthor.jpg

steverules_2

riv6672

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
This film actually unironically looks like it could be good by the way. Haven't seen the premise before in a film.

I agree. This looks very intriguing.

I'm hoping that DC will make an animated film of Superman: Red Son, eventually.

Agreed and agreed, looking forward to this.

I've been wanting for a Red Son adaptation for years.

Darth Thor
Doesnt have to be animated given they are doing Elseworld films now as well.

Robtard
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Doesnt have to be animated given they are doing Elseworld films now as well. Doesn't, but an animated adaptation of Red Son would probably be better, ideally in two parts.

Surtur

Darth Thor
^ Yeah. Hes coming to Supergirl.

Kazenji
4yvKkdFiz9c

Robtard
Still looks dope, really looking forward to this

BruceSkywalker
looks all right...

Inhuman
MOS would have made more sense if Brightburn was the first half of that movie.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
Still looks dope, really looking forward to this Looks very Shyamalan.

Putinbot1
Still wish they'd do miracleman.

SquallX
I wonder if the ones in charged of Brightburn might get sued since they copied the mark from the Berserk manga?

Kazenji
^ Which looks nothing like the Brand of Sacrifice.

Robtard
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Looks very Shyamalan.

There'd have to be some twist stick out tongue

BrolyBlack
This looks awesome.

Robtard
^ Which looks nothing like the Brand of Sacrifice.

There's some resemblance, but it's not exact.

Besides, they secured the rights from DC as this is essentially a different spin on the Superman origin story, so I doubt they're going to risk a lawsuit over a symbol; I'm sure their legal team checked the symbol out first to make sure it was kosher.

quanchi112
I hope this does well and spurns the Superman fans. I am petty like that. Solid horror trailer.

Robtard
Not sure why that'd spurn anymore? If this is great (and I hope this will be), it'll be a nice homage to the Superman franchise.

quanchi112
Not sure why that'd spurn anymore? If this is great (and I hope this will be), it'll be a nice homage to the Superman franchise. Superman being put off to the side while a rip off horror film banks.

Robtard
LoL, okay Quan, have it your way.

quanchi112
https://66.media.tumblr.com/91b03fa0b12722e09578c8b6accdec3f/tumblr_nabqaiE4Mw1qems7ao1_500.gif

ShadowFyre
https://youtu.be/w3rLYtl2_iY

This looks pretty cool actually

Nuke Nixon
It was awesome.

Now I want Superman to be like this all the time.

BrolyBlack
Cool movie. Hope they do more.

BrolyBlack
Did he have TK as well?

BruceSkywalker
seeing tomorrow

Adam Grimes
Probably gonna be seeing this as well.

steverules_2
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f102/t661301.html

whistle

BruceSkywalker
this is a pretty good movie. simple story.. good violence... would recommend

tkitna
This movie is getting destroyed by the reviews. I'm hesitant to see it.

BrolyBlack

BrolyBlack
*act like

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by tkitna
This movie is getting destroyed by the reviews. I'm hesitant to see it.

The reviews aren't terrible, just mediocre/so so.

Personally, I thought it was great. One thing that's being misrepresented is that it's now really a slasher/horror movie as much as it is a thriller. It's surprisingly suspenseful at times.

BrolyBlack
Very good film, in the credits they have an evil aqua man and evil wonderwoman. This is going to be a great injustice league.

tkitna
58% on Rotten Tomatoes
2/5 metacritic
2/5 common sense media
2/5 Rolling Stone
1/5 Roger Ebert

But others have it rated higher. Looks very vanilla or mediocre to me. Glad some people liked it, but it doesn't do anything for me.

BrolyBlack
Read the audience reviews

Galan007
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Very good film, in the credits they have an evil aqua man and evil wonderwoman. This is going to be a great injustice league. They're going full Earth-3 with this franchise, it seems. thumb up

BrolyBlack
Yea, now since they are not using DC branding, I assume the names are going to be different?

tkitna
I'm at work watching it now. I'll give my review in about an hour.

Mindset
Was mediocre at best.

At least the ending wasn't trite.

cdtm
Originally posted by Mindset
Was mediocre at best.

I figured when Broly called said "It was a very good film".

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Mindset
Was mediocre at best.

Indeed. I dug the ending quite a bit though, made the more boring parts worth it.

BrolyBlack

tkitna
Just watched it. I'll give it a 5/10. It was a pretty average flick. Didn't get to see the ending credits after scene though. That sounds like the best part of the movie.

cdtm

Eon Blue

Flyattractor
Yes. I am sure it wont.

cdtm

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by cdtm
It's not good at all. Anyone who calls it a "great movie" is delusional.

I don't see anyone calling it a great movie. It IS good though. It's a cool, low budget "What if?" movie.

cdtm
The movie was basically a mish mash of Dragon Ball, and that movie from awhile back where this couple adopts a winged gargoyle that turns evil.

That wasn't great either, but it was a lot better then this tripe.

HumbleServant
Is this a Superman movie? And if it is, is it DCEU?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by HumbleServant

yes, but no and no

cdtm
It's like Case 39. Just replace the demon child with evil Kryptonian.

Movies like this were a dime a dozen back in the early/mid 2k's.

DeadpoolXXX
Where have I seen Brightburns symbol before? Looks really familiar.

Impediment
Originally posted by DeadpoolXXX
Where have I seen Brightburns symbol before? Looks really familiar.

Berserk.

Galan007
Probably Berserk. thumb up

The symbol was also featured predominately in a comic book series called Nameless, by Grant Morrison:
https://i.imgur.com/Zg8MNb8.jpg
It's a really good mini, but not many people have read it, so that's probably not where you remember it from.

Robtard
Overall enjoyed this, though it's going to have a small audience who will enjoy this sort of film, hence the meh reviews.

jaden_2.0
Well I really enjoyed this. It had what will likely be a single showing at my local cinema so I don't think it'll make much which is a shame as it was fantastic. Brutal deaths which I never expected. Nice cameo by Michael Rooker as well.

david196520

roughrider
Originally posted by HumbleServant

What is looked like to me was a Mark Millar comic that he never wrote. He does this flips and riffs off famous genre characters, like in Nemesis ('What if Batman was the Joker?'); there's been a pending movie adaption of that for years.

NemeBro
Just saw this. It got a lot of mileage out of its premise but frankly didn't have the balls to go far enough. Making Brandon's space ship responsible for his descent into murder robbed Brandon of any real agency and as such hamstrung what could have been much more interesting themes and a provided a more thought-provoking deconstruction of the Superman mythos and the superhero genre. I'd have preferred the film ask questions like are people born in equilibrium with each other, or are they forced into it by being placed in a relatively even playing field? What happens when a child is possessed of power to make him utterly above consequence? Essentially, a lot of more interesting shit could have been done with the Superman archetype than just making his space ship infect his mind, and though one could argue that there are hints that it just exacerbated issues that were already present in Brandon's alien psyche, or that the ship and Brandon's alien nature is an effective subversion of the Superman assumption that that Jor-El's influence upon Superman is a positive one and that he was flung to be the last beacon of hope from a dying world to inspire another (where instead Brandon was sent to be a brood parasite), for the first I'd still argue that the presence of the clearly mind-altering ship cheapens it by once again putting Brandon's agency into question, and for the second while true I guess that isn't nearly as compelling as the possibilities I've outline IMO.

Still, I enjoyed the movie, I liked how they emphasized how horrifying the wrong type of person with a Superman powerset would be (his speed in particular being played for horror), I liked that Brandon's victims didn't turn out to all be bullying scumbags and were mostly decent people, I liked how brutal some of the deaths turned out to be, and I quite liked the sequel hook. I just think the movie could have been a lot better.

I'm glad it was made, and hope to see more superhero genre films that go outside of the formula set by the MCU. Probably a 7/10.

Patient_Leech
I watched this because I thought James Gunn wrote it, but it seems he produced it? Who are the Gunns who wrote it? I assume they're related to him?

Anyway, it's a clever way to try to capitalize on the Superhero genre except switching it around for a horror audience. I assume they'll hope to make a myriad of other anti-superhero films if this is a hit. But I can't say it was particularly interesting enough to warrant it.

Robtard
Originally posted by NemeBro
Just saw this. It got a lot of mileage out of its premise but frankly didn't have the balls to go far enough. Making Brandon's space ship responsible for his descent into murder robbed Brandon of any real agency and as such hamstrung what could have been much more interesting themes and a provided a more thought-provoking deconstruction of the Superman mythos and the superhero genre. I'd have preferred the film ask questions like are people born in equilibrium with each other, or are they forced into it by being placed in a relatively even playing field? What happens when a child is possessed of power to make him utterly above consequence? Essentially, a lot of more interesting shit could have been done with the Superman archetype than just making his space ship infect his mind, and though one could argue that there are hints that it just exacerbated issues that were already present in Brandon's alien psyche, or that the ship and Brandon's alien nature is an effective subversion of the Superman assumption that that Jor-El's influence upon Superman is a positive one and that he was flung to be the last beacon of hope from a dying world to inspire another (where instead Brandon was sent to be a brood parasite), for the first I'd still argue that the presence of the clearly mind-altering ship cheapens it by once again putting Brandon's agency into question, and for the second while true I guess that isn't nearly as compelling as the possibilities I've outline IMO.

Still, I enjoyed the movie, I liked how they emphasized how horrifying the wrong type of person with a Superman powerset would be (his speed in particular being played for horror), I liked that Brandon's victims didn't turn out to all be bullying scumbags and were mostly decent people, I liked how brutal some of the deaths turned out to be, and I quite liked the sequel hook. I just think the movie could have been a lot better.

I'm glad it was made, and hope to see more superhero genre films that go outside of the formula set by the MCU. Probably a 7/10.

Having it touch on the 'are people born evil or made' aspect would have been better, but maybe too cerebral for a film like this, especially in the allotted time. I think it was only around 90mins

Patient_Leech
Having it touch on the 'are people born evil or made' aspect would have been better, but maybe too cerebral for a film like this, especially in the allotted time. I think it was only around 90mins

Yeah, it's about 90 minutes. Pretty short, glad it didn't drag out for 2 hours or something. That would have been way too much because it did feel very surface level and therefore not even all that scary or "horrorific."

Oliver Brown
Full of gore, crazy deaths, and jump scares! Brightburn is absolutely brilliant. And that ending... a must watch for horror fans!

Myth

I don't think so. They already hinted at it with his interactions with the girl and being pissed that his parents lied to him. If they just stuck with that path, it would have been a better, more thoughtful movie. It honestly feels like they wrote 2 drafts: One where he gradually becomes evil based on bad interactions and one where the spacecraft made him evil, and they kept elements of the former draft in there despite the latter being the direction they ultimately went.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.