Vertigo Comics discussion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Unless you live under a rock, you know that Vertigo Comics is an imprint of DC Comics created in 1993 to publish stories with more graphic or adult content that could not fit within the restrictions of the Comics Code Authority, thus allowing more creative freedom than DC's main imprint. These comics were free to contain explicit violence, substance and drug abuse, sexuality, nudity, profanity, and other controversial subjects, similar to the content of R-rated films.

What Vertigo title(s) do you love or like? Tell us why. What writers and artists do their best work in Vertigo?

My favorites are:

100 Bullets
American Vampire
Fables
Hellblazer
The Invisbles
Lucifer
Preacher
The Sandman
Scalped
Transmetropolitan
Y: The Last Man

If I had to pick just one overall title that soars above the rest, I'd ultimately have to pick Sandman. Neil Gaiman is unusually talented and his 75 issue story arc is timelessly astounding and brilliant.

A very close second would be Scalped. JFC, Jason Aaron knows how to write serious crime drama. This kind of writing belongs in the ranks of the Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Galan007
Every series you mentioned here is absolute gold, and holds up well even after repeated reads.

My top 5 would probably be:
-Lucifer (Carey's run)
-Sandman
-Scalped
-Y: The Last Man
-Fables

Impediment
A pilot for Scalped was filmed but several networks passed, I believe.

Scalped is so good and deserves to be on HBO or Showtime, IMO.

Galan007
Yeah, if they were to do a live action Scalped, it would have to be on HBO or Showtime to do it any justice whatsoever. thumb up

Impediment
Y: The Last Man is currently in pre-production for an FX tv series.

Kazenji
I've only read the first volume of Scalped and enjoyed it.

Impediment

Impediment

BruceSkywalker
wanna watch y the last man..

need to read some of the preacher comics

Impediment

Putinbot1
I even liked Shade and Black Orchid... weird shit going down on Border town.

Galan007
You're talking about Shade the Changing Man, yeah?

That was an absolute mindf*ck of a series. Literally forged by LSD.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Galan007
You're talking about Shade the Changing Man, yeah?

That was an absolute mindf*ck of a series. Literally forged by LSD. Yeah, I am Galan. It was superb.

Galan007
It was good indeed, but damn, it was strange. thumb up

Impediment
Border Town, a Vertigo title, just got cancelled because the writer is being accused of sexual assault.

And just when the story was getting good.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I even liked Shade and Black Orchid... weird shit going down on Border town. Yup imp... read the story a few days ago, upsetting all round, the title had promise.

Impediment
I just got this Steve Dillon memorial sketchbook yesterday. I'm still bummed that such great talent died so soon and suddenly. Steve will forever be in my Top Artists list. Preacher and Hellblazer are such great works that only Steve could have done justice to.

Galan007
I've not read Border Town. Is it worth checking out?

Impediment
I've not read Border Town. Is it worth checking out?

It's a solid and crazy story, but it's about to be cancelled. I don't know if issue six will even ship, assuming it's a six issue limited series and not an ongoing.

Larin Delbink
Does Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing count? Because parts of that were just incredible.

Galan007
Originally posted by Larin Delbink
Does Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing count? Because parts of that were just incredible. Moore's Swamp Thing is phenomenal. thumb up

Impediment

Galan007
The new Vertigo stuff has been decent so far(currently following Sandman, Lucifer, and The Books of Magic), but they're all off to pretty slow starts, imo.

kevdude
After just reading Lucifer #6, it looks like vol 2 is no longer considered canon. Here Neil Gaiman talks about Rebooting Books of Magic, and recreating Lucifer for vol 3.

https://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil-gaiman-sandman-universe-comics/

Here is the WSJ page, talking with Neil about Lucifer vol 3 being a continuation from Mike Carey's end. Must be a subscriber.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/neil-gaimans-sandman-gets-another-life-1533042592

Bentley
I should definitively check Scalped. Most of the comics mentioned here bring good memories

leonidas
The new Vertigo stuff has been decent so far(currently following Sandman, Lucifer, and The Books of Magic), but they're all off to pretty slow starts, imo.

i've not been a huge fan so far either. /shrug

Eon Blue

Impediment
So...........DC ended the Vertigo label, but will still continue producing "mature labeled comics".

To be honest, the new Vertigo lineup wasn't exactly blowing my skirt up, save for American Carnage.

I'm still livid that Hellblazer was cancelled at issue #300.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.