Superman Premiered 40 Years Ago Today

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

James T. Kirk
And the superhero movie genre got off to a flying start! *hehe*

riv6672
I was at the theater on opening day.

BruceSkywalker
loved the original

Flyattractor
Supes OG was a Kick Ass Movie. One of the Best.

riv6672
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Supes OG was a Kick Ass Movie. One of the Best.
It took me years to realize you never even see him fight in that first movie.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by riv6672

Thats why they had no fights in Superman Returns. They were going for a complete rehash of Superman the movie whilst making it a sequel ala Force Awakens. But for Superman just flying around saving the world obviously didnt work for a modern audience.

James T. Kirk
I was at the theater on opening day. Lucky you. I wasn't born yet.

riv6672

Flyattractor

Technically they didn't really give him any one TO Fight. Unless you count PUNCHING NUKES as Fights...

eek!

Surtur
I like Superman 2 better. Still...Superman 2 wouldn't exist without this movie, so kudos for that.

F*ck the people who made Superman 3 and 4 though. Out of those two movies the only thing I like is the scene where Superman fights himself.

quanchi112
Film was something then but aged horribly. Times have changed my friends. Nowadays the quality of comic book films have reached another level.

BruceSkywalker
first two Donner films were oiff the charts then the bottom dropped horribly

quanchi112
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
first two Donner films were oiff the charts then the bottom dropped horribly Dc films do not continue their string of success long, 3 was a huge nosedive in quality.

Flyattractor
Captain Marvel will probably be Marvel's Move in that direction.

quanchi112
Captain Marvel will probably be Marvel's Move in that direction. Off topic. Do not make me report you. This is about Superman, kid.

Flyattractor
Superman Created the Superhero Genre. Marvel Movies have a Lot to Thank the Man of Steel for.

If not for Him. They would Not be where they are today.

THANKS SUPERMAN!

Surtur
Superman Created the Superhero Genre. Marvel Movies have a Lot to Thank the Man of Steel for.

THANKS SUPERMAN!

I legit laughed out loud as the threat of reporting you. Too funny.

Surtur
What they did in Superman 3 to poor Richard Pryor is unforgivable.

riv6672

THANKS SUPERMAN!
And Superman needs to thank the novel Gladiator, which predates him by 8 years. Thanks, Philip Wylie!

quanchi112

THANKS SUPERMAN! Not true. MCU is on another level. Superman has aged horribly and his later films were dumpster fire.

-Pr-
Originally posted by James T. Kirk
And the superhero movie genre got off to a flying start! *hehe*

thumb up

The first two, even with their issues, still stand up incredibly well even today. They still gave us the Superman against which all others are judged, and are arguably the most quotable superhero movies of all time.

If only 3 and 4 weren't such utter shite...

Dr Will Hatch
Originally posted by quanchi112
Not true. MCU is on another level. Superman has aged horribly and his later films were dumpster fire.

Is that why Kevin Feige praises Superman constantly and says that it's the template for every MCU movie?

Dr Will Hatch
Magical film. Still holds up, and Christopher Reeve is still one of the definitive superhero actors.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Is that why Kevin Feige praises Superman constantly and says that it's the template for every MCU movie?

thumb up

Feige knows and produces quality because he was inspired by quality.

quanchi112
Is that why Kevin Feige praises Superman constantly and says that it's the template for every MCU movie? He is free to enjoy it but he has turned the entire world upside down with the success of the MCU. Shared universe, etc. Superman could not string together three wins in a row.

laughing out loud

riv6672

Originally posted by Darth Thor
thumb up

Feige knows and produces quality because he was inspired by quality.

Pretty much says it all right there.
Best to just ignore rampant ignorance/negativity.

Oh wait, i already do.

quanchi112
Pretty much says it all right there.
Best to just ignore rampant ignorance/negativity.

Oh wait, i already do.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ohs7J1ZmzXZmj5o6A/giphy.gif

Surtur

Lol the idiot gets owned again, love it.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Surtur
Lol the idiot gets owned again, love it. I said it was very good but has not aged well. Feiges MCU blows anything else out of the water. Things get better typically. Quality is head and shoulders above the rest.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by quanchi112
Not true. MCU is on another level. Superman has aged horribly and his later films were dumpster fire.

Indeed he has.

They should just kill the character in comics and make everyone forget him. It's time to move on.

quanchi112
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Indeed he has.

They should just kill the character in comics and make everyone forget him. It's time to move on. thumb up

Impediment
Back to topic.

Superman 1978.

Go.

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Back to topic.

Superman 1978.

Go.

the best there is...the best there was..the best there ever will be

Flyattractor
Really wish I could find a gif of the Supes Bad Vibes Gag from the first movie.

riv6672

John Murdoch
Magical film. Still holds up, and Christopher Reeve is still one of the definitive superhero actors.

Absolutely. Watched it last year and got tears in my eyes when Jonathan Kent dies in the first act.

As far as I'm concerned, the two best templates for a superhero origin movie are either Superman: The Movie or Batman 1989. Either go with an in-depth origin or start in medias rex/"in the midst of things".

So many Marvel movies and comic book movies in general have used either of these templates to great success:
- The deep origin story of Superman template: Spider-Man, Batman Begins, all of the solo MCU films, even Man of Steel 30+ years later.
- The in medias rex Burton/Keaton Batman approach: Blade, X-Men, BvS, Suicide Squad

John Murdoch

Putinbot1
I remember going to watch it with my dad and brother.

Flyattractor
This Movies Theme Song is still the Ulitmate Superman Theme.

riv6672
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Him and Hemsworth would be about eye-to-eye.

That would be cool to see...

James T. Kirk
Originally posted by John Murdoch
Absolutely. Watched it last year and got tears in my eyes when Jonathan Kent dies in the first act.

As far as I'm concerned, the two best templates for a superhero origin movie are either Superman: The Movie or Batman 1989. Either go with an in-depth origin or start in medias rex/"in the midst of things".

So many Marvel movies and comic book movies in general have used either of these templates to great success:
- The deep origin story of Superman template: Spider-Man, Batman Begins, all of the solo MCU films, even Man of Steel 30+ years later.
- The in medias rex Burton/Keaton Batman approach: Blade, X-Men, BvS, Suicide Squad Apart from The Incredible Hulk and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

James T. Kirk
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/five-ways-superman-the-movie-defined-the-superhero-genre/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.