IG limitations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
It seems the IG with all stones has some apparent limitations

Stopping Stormbreaker for one, not being able to heal himself after being hit by it, and repairing the gauntlet, Or bringing Gamora back he couldn't do.

If it's supposed to grant nigh omnipotence, why does it have these limitations?

Inhuman
Originally posted by BrolyBlack

Stopping Stormbreaker for one, not being able to heal himself after being hit by it, and repairing the gauntlet, Or bringing Gamora back he couldn't do.

Because making things super OP in films is stupid and results in bad film making. Thats why we get over powered marysue characters that make the film shit. Vulnerability and relatability results in better film making.

Thats what I dont get from certain fans that want comic book type power levels and cream their pants when their overpowered marysue characters lifts a building or punches a mountain in half.
You cant too much of that stuff without the film suffering and coming off as ridiculous and cheesy.

BrolyBlack
Still though, if he can wipe out half the universe with a snap of his fingers, he should at least be able to repair the gauntlet or heal himself. Those are two limitations that shouldn't be there. I get not stopping Stormbreaker, but these other small ones. He should have been able to.

BruceSkywalker
jeez i thought this was about Instagram

Originally posted by Inhuman
Because making things super OP in films is stupid and results in bad film making. Thats why we get over powered marysue characters that make the film shit. Vulnerability and relatability results in better film making.

Thats what I dont get from certain fans that want comic book type power levels and cream their pants when their overpowered marysue characters lifts a building or punches a mountain in half.
You cant too much of that stuff without the film suffering and coming off as ridiculous and cheesy.

so true

Flyattractor
Really seems that they kind of DragonBalled the Inf Stones....You get one wish and poof. They are gone until you find them again...

Probably just done so that Marvel could screw Starlin out of Royalty Money.

Disney and Marvel are full on shit companies.

BrolyBlack
But he still has the stones

Flyattractor
Does he?

BrolyBlack
Yes

Flyattractor
Saw the movie already did you?

BrolyBlack

Flyattractor
Nah. The first one kine of bored me. Not expecting any better in th 2nd.

BrolyBlack
What movie are you talking about?

Flyattractor
What movie are YOU talking about!?

BrolyBlack
Im talking about infinity warlaughing out loud

ShadowFyre
Because one is the gauntlet and one is the stones. The gauntlet itself can only handle so much energy hence it being destroyed by the snap

BrolyBlack
Yea but shouldn't he be able to repair the gauntlet with his thought?

Surtur
Infinity War is now on netflix.

Bentley
Yea but shouldn't he be able to repair the gauntlet with his thought?

Obviously we shouldn't put limitations on the Guantlet itself. The logical conclusion is that Thanos lacks the creativity and talent to repair the guantlet and resurrect Gamora.

Insane Titan

BrolyBlack

Flyattractor

Bentley

Surtur

Galan007

If it's supposed to grant nigh omnipotence, why does it have these limitations? Where Stormbreaker is concerned: in the comics, an IG-user has to adapt/acclimate to their newfound omnipotence -- it takes a while for them to stop thinking like a mortal, and start thinking like God. They don't just gain a complete IG and instantly know how to use it to its full capacity. That might be why Thanos didn't/couldn't stop Stormbreaker..?

Not healing himself doesn't make sense, unless the stones simply aren't allowing Thanos to heal himself because he used them in such a grotesque manner..?

As for not repairing the gauntlet: it's important to remember that Thanos had dedicated most of his life beforehand to halving the universe's populace by culling planets individually. The stones simply presented a faster, more efficient way of fulfilling this goal. As far as Thanos is concerned, the IG is essentially just a really big gun -- and now that his goal has been fulfilled and half of all life in the universe has been erased, perhaps Thanos simply doesn't want the gauntlet anymore, so why fix it..? Perhaps the only reason he wants to keep the stones now is just to prevent someone else from using them to undo what he has done..?

As for Gamora: if Thanos resurrected her, maybe the soul stone would abandon him for undoing the 'tribute' he had to pay in order to acquire it in the first place..?

Just spitballing here. No clue if any of this will hold any validity when all is said and done. /shrug

jaden_2.0
It doesn't go well with a nice tailored pin stripe suit.
It's dangerous for left handed onanism practicioners.
The stones keep ripping the paper when you're writing.

Completely impractical, really.

Robtard
Originally posted by Galan007
Where Stormbreaker is concerned: in the comics, an IG-user has to adapt/acclimate to their newfound omnipotence -- it takes a while for them to stop thinking like a mortal, and start thinking like God. They don't just gain a complete IG and instantly know how to use it to its full capacity. That might be why Thanos didn't/couldn't stop Stormbreaker..?

Not healing himself doesn't make sense, unless the stones simply aren't allowing Thanos to heal himself because he used them in such a grotesque manner..?

As for not repairing the gauntlet: it's important to remember that Thanos had dedicated most of his life beforehand to halving the universe's populace by culling planets individually. The stones simply presented a faster, more efficient way of fulfilling this goal. As far as Thanos is concerned, the IG is essentially just a really big gun -- and now that his goal has been fulfilled and half of all life in the universe has been erased, perhaps Thanos simply doesn't want the gauntlet anymore, so why fix it..? Perhaps the only reason he wants to keep the stones now is just to prevent someone else from using them to undo what he has done..?

As for Gamora: if Thanos resurrected her, maybe the soul stone would abandon him for undoing the 'tribute' he had to pay in order to acquire it in the first place..?

Just spitballing here. No clue if any of this will hold any validity when all is said and done. /shrug

Very possible.

Not stopping Stormbreaker was just a one-off/plot-device, imo. Even if he was freshly into godhood, stopping a thrown axe woudn't be beyond what he's already shown with fewer stones.

As far as Thanos' left side being injured, I think it's maybe the price he has to pay in using the stones on a universal scale as he did. He was able to heal the nigh-fatal wound Thor gave him, but not his gimpy left arm? Similar goes with resurrecting Gamora, the price you pay if you want to play.

Also think it's possible he could have temporarily de-powered the stones by using them in such a large scope and this will play into his downfall.

Mindset

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Robtard
He was able to heal the nigh-fatal wound Thor gave him, but not his gimpy left arm? Similar goes with resurrecting Gamora, the price you pay if you want to play.

Yeah, the axe wound actually closes up as he teleports away. I didn't even notice originally, because it happens so quickly. But thankfully there are people on the internet with a lot of time on their hands. Even if you know what to look for, you have to watch him teleporting away at like 0.25 normal speed to really notice it properly.

I suspect that because the arm was injured by the Infinity Stones, it's probably the cost of doing what he did.

Edit: Oh, and apparently the Russos revealed that Thanos could potentially (note, not definitively) use the stones to heal himself fully. Seems the injury itself might be backlash he did to himself, based on some of their "pain and guilt" comments:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/05/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-heal-arm-russo-brothers/

Robtard
Oh, then the "price you pay" might be self imposed. Also fits with MCU Thanos' character.

Even thought Infinity War isn't in my top three MCU films, I still can't wait to see this all wrap up.

Galan007
Seems odd that Thanos would choose to punish himself with physical/external injuries on top of the mental/internal anguish he was clearly experiencing after the deed was done.

Flyattractor
I can't wait for Hawkeye to get his big dramatic moment where he has his Thanos Killed His wife and Children and then they will make a big joke about it when he gets joke pwned. Cause phuck that guy!

Lol!

TheVaultDweller
Seems odd that Thanos would choose to punish himself with physical/external injuries on top of the mental/internal anguish he was clearly experiencing after the deed was done.

Actually kind of makes sense to me. Maybe the mental anguish/guilt drove him to try and punish himself in a desperate attempt to somewhat atone. Might also have been the gauntlet reacting directly to his subconscious, so he had no conscious choice in the matter.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Actually kind of makes sense to me. Maybe the mental anguish/guilt drove him to try and punish himself in a desperate attempt to somewhat atone. Might also have been the gauntlet reacting directly to his subconscious, so he had no conscious choice in the matter.

So basically they use Thanos's comic book weakness then?

BrolyBlack
Yeah, the axe wound actually closes up as he teleports away. I didn't even notice originally, because it happens so quickly. But thankfully there are people on the internet with a lot of time on their hands. Even if you know what to look for, you have to watch him teleporting away at like 0.25 normal speed to really notice it properly.

I suspect that because the arm was injured by the Infinity Stones, it's probably the cost of doing what he did.

Edit: Oh, and apparently the Russos revealed that Thanos could potentially (note, not definitively) use the stones to heal himself fully. Seems the injury itself might be backlash he did to himself, based on some of their "pain and guilt" comments:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/05/avengers-infinity-war-thanos-heal-arm-russo-brothers/

Got the video of him healing himself from SB?

Galan007
Actually kind of makes sense to me. Maybe the mental anguish/guilt drove him to try and punish himself in a desperate attempt to somewhat atone. Might also have been the gauntlet reacting directly to his subconscious, so he had no conscious choice in the matter. True. I guess it could be his own personal penance of sorts... Choosing to keep himself in perpetual mental AND physical agony.

Be it voluntary or involuntary, that is the price Thanos has to pay for using the stones in such a manner.

Robtard
Got the video of him healing himself from SB?

If I have time later, I'll post a pic.

But you can clearly see his axe wound being healed/gone in the scene when he's kicking back to watch the sunset after he's murdered trillions.

Galan007
http://i.imgur.com/cjpPnvgl.jpg

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Robtard
If I have time later, I'll post a pic.

But you can clearly see his axe wound being healed/gone in the scene when he's kicking back to watch the sunset after he's murdered trillions.

It was a sunrise.

Therefore all your other facts are wrong.

That's how it works on t'internet

Robtard
Welp, guess that's it for me then.

BrolyBlack
http://i.imgur.com/cjpPnvgl.jpg

Is this of him healing from it, or not being healed from it, hard to tell whats going on here.

Flyattractor
Is this of him healing from it, or not being healed from it, hard to tell whats going on here.

It could just be inconsistent CGI.

Galan007
Is this of him healing from it, or not being healed from it, hard to tell whats going on here. Healing.

The lack of a gaping chest wound in his final scene seems indicative of such.

Flyattractor
Was he Topless in his Final Scene? It could just be hidden by a T-Shirt.

I Killed Half the Universe and all I got...

That would be Funny and Ironic!

BrolyBlack
Here we go, some answers.

7Wf-UwBi16w

Josh_Alexander

The Infinity Stones have no limitations under a Universal scale.

The true limitation is the IG or the person wearing it.

Flyattractor
IG Limitations is the Limit of the Writers Imagination and or the SF Budget of the Movie.

NemeBro
I have no problem with the IG being much more limited than it is in the comics.

My only problem is when Thanos demonstrated versatile uses of the gauntlet that completely neutered any opposition, like when he effortlessly transmuted Drax and Mantis, only to then fight like a brick with energy blasts on Titan for the sake of the plot. It's bad writing.

It is ultimately not a huge problem though. It's still one of the best MCU films.

Inhuman

7Wf-UwBi16w

Interesting video, with some good points thumb up

Originally posted by NemeBro
I have no problem with the IG being much more limited than it is in the comics.

My only problem is when Thanos demonstrated versatile uses of the gauntlet that completely neutered any opposition, like when he effortlessly transmuted Drax and Mantis, only to then fight like a brick with energy blasts on Titan for the sake of the plot. It's bad writing.

It is ultimately not a huge problem though. It's still one of the best MCU films.

Yeah, just typical movie nonsense and nerfing to keep things interesting.

Josh_Alexander

7Wf-UwBi16w

Although I agree with his reasoning, he forgot a very important factor.

Thanos didn't know about SB.

Otherwise, he could have used the gauntlet differently to counter it. Instead, Thanos used a laser-beam type of attack. Considering that SB was forged from the energies of a neutron star, it's evident why it wasn't damage, since it can withstand high amounts of energy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.