Orville season 2

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
"We have a lot in common. People treat us like we don't belong here."

Indeed they do, Seth. laughing

And I just realized, the ship looks kind of like a woman's shoe.

cdtm
Am I a bad person for siding with the punk?

Hell, I was offered beer at 15, by cousins.

cdtm
Also just noticed Boris.

Bore.

Worf is a bore.

Can't be a coincidence. smile

Sunset Phoenix
The Orville is really good fanfic.

riv6672
Originally posted by cdtm
...And I just realized, the ship looks kind of like a woman's shoe.
THANK you; i just told my youngest kid that, and he doesnt see it.

Flyattractor
Homage to Hitchhikers Guied to the Galaxy or Cheap MacFarlene Rip Off Move?

Kazenji
I liked the first season, Not sure what drugs the critics are on over at RT's to give it a low score.

riv6672
^^^which is why i dont care about reviews.

This show is great.

Kazenji
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^which is why i dont care about reviews.

But then if you take a look at the audience score, Its alot better

RT's so out of touch.

Patient_Leech
I loved this show, too. Can't wait for Season 2.

Although I wanted to re-watch Season 1 again before I see Season 2... not sure if I'll get around to that or not, though..

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
I liked the first season, Not sure what drugs the critics are on over at RT's to give it a low score.

I'd guess a combination of anti Macfarlene bias (He insets such in his writing enough, where you can conclude he's pigeonholed in Hollywood), and the fact the Orville came out around the same time as Discovery, which has big money behind it.

Some might even see The Orville as existing specifically to sabotage that show, along with subscription rates of a rival network, E.g. "Why pay for Trek, when you can watch our Trek inspired show for free?"

riv6672
And the answer was, because the actual Trek show was awful, while the inspired show was just that, inspired.

cdtm
And the answer was, because the actual Trek show was awful, while the inspired show was just that, inspired.

And I agree. thumb up

I'm just saying, some of these critics might see the tactic of releasing a competing show against a rival networks product that it needs as a cash cow for a premium channel as "underhanded".

Combine that with a total disrespect for Seth, and the attitude sums up like this:

"They're letting that clown make his farce of a vanity project just to hurt their competitors! F that, 7% on rotten tomatoes.

I probably should watch it, just to say I did.. For about a minute."

Patient_Leech
And I agree. thumb up

I'm just saying, some of these critics might see the tactic of releasing a competing show against a rival networks product that it needs as a cash cow for a premium channel as "underhanded"

But it could have sort of been coincidence, though, right? Seth has probably wanted to do the Orville for quite some time I would think..

cdtm
Seth probably has, yeah. I bet he has a lot of ideas, and finds them a hard sell because he's pigeonholed as "The fart joke guy."

Discovery was probably the leverage he needed to get the network to agree to it.

Flyattractor

Its called The Shill Pill!

Kazenji
Seth's also a ST fan and it shows it in The Orville.

BruceSkywalker
should I try to watch this again

samhain
An underwhelming season opener to say the least, glad this show's back though, I'm sure there are awesome episodes on the way.

cdtm
Booris public peeing is actually less gross then Spock's mating thing. thumb up

samhain
^Yeah, that whole thing took away a bit of Spock's cool IMO. Weird and creepy.

Robtard
Originally posted by samhain
An underwhelming season opener to say the least, glad this show's back though, I'm sure there are awesome episodes on the way.

Agreed, was a 'meh' episode overall, still have high hopes that we'll have more good than meh episodes overall in S2, like we had in S1

Flyattractor
I have seen a few episodes and those I watched it really had a TNG feel to it. Way more Star Trek TV vibe to it then any of the other shows since that era.
Only complaint is Seth Himself. Guy aint the best of actors.

riv6672
Man there was some ****ed up shit going on this ep. laughing
I love how Seth balances deeper issues with the raunchiest topics he can get away with.

Patient_Leech
Fu#k, I need to catch up on this...

2 episodes so far?

riv6672
Just 2, yes. thumb up

Patient_Leech
I finally watched Season 2 Episode 1 and it was great. I forgot how good this show is! laughing out loud laughing out loud

I love that it was sort of a comedy/drama/soap opera and not an action show. Absolutely loved it.

But I do fear that it may not have been the best way to start off the season, you know, for the general public with the attention span of gnats. Because I think I saw that it opened with poor ratings.

Patient_Leech
I'm caught up on this show now. Episode 2 was hilariously awkward and great! laughing out loud

I'm hoping to catch the next episode tonight as it airs.. may or may not be able to, though.

TheVaultDweller
Poor Dann. A poet's heart but a diseased testicle for a head.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Poor Dann. A poet's heart but a diseased testicle for a head.

laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
Is it true that Alara is leaving the show? Seems like i heard rumors of that..

It would be a shame, she's cute. I didn't realize how hot she is out of makeup...

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/[email protected]_V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

riv6672
^^^I looked her up last season. Jackpot.

riv6672
As for Alara leaving all i just found were rumors from last year.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, I heard rumours that she was leaving after S1. But none of it materialised, as she's clearly still there, so I am chalking it all up to fake news, unless there are further developments.

Patient_Leech
😭

I didn't even know it was this episode..

Goodbye Alara!

Maybe she'll still have some guest appearances or something.

TheVaultDweller
Huh, guess the rumours were true then, because she could have shot some of the stuff some time ago, considering it's just for a handful of episodes.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
I really liked the send-off for her. It was classy, respectful, and actually a good episode. A good celebration of her character.

Much better than callously killing her off. And now there's still hope of her having some guest appearances. thumb up

riv6672
I agree. Not sure why she left but it seems it was on good terms?
Loved the pickles.

Patient_Leech
I agree. Not sure why she left but it seems it was on good terms?

It seemed to me she left because she wanted to bond more with her family.

riv6672
Aw...!

TheVaultDweller
That was actually pretty evil at the end there. That jar is still closed and she's already left.

samhain
Another average episode I have to say, perhaps they weren't expecting a second season so they didn't really have a lot planned.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by samhain
Another average episode I have to say, perhaps they weren't expecting a second season so they didn't really have a lot planned.

Hm.. see, I loved the whole awkward "sexual event" scenes with Bortus and his piss ritual. laughing out loud Hilariously awkward! And the last one with Alara was very charming.

And it seems the next episode is going to involve the Krill, so it should be a bit more action-packed.

So far it's a good mix. It's shaping up to be a fun season to me. But people are very divided on it.

riv6672

TheVaultDweller

cdtm
"I overheard you. Open your own damn pickles."

Someday, it will come out he's just been playing the robot stereotype to mess with people.

riv6672

samhain
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Hm.. see, I loved the whole awkward "sexual event" scenes with Bortus and his piss ritual. laughing out loud Hilariously awkward! And the last one with Alara was very charming.

And it seems the next episode is going to involve the Krill, so it should be a bit more action-packed.

So far it's a good mix. It's shaping up to be a fun season to me. But people are very divided on it.

I thought episode 2 and this last one were good episodes but 1 and 3 fell a bit flat for me, still not enough to make me switch over, I can put up with them alternating between good and average, it adds to the Trek feel.

samhain
Yeah, the Tyler thing was obvious, that might be why they pulled the trigger on it so soon.

riv6672
^^^^sooo obvious...roll eyes (sarcastic) stick out tongue

cdtm
Well, they did lay obvious hints like..

And...

david196520
The Orville is great fanfic.

cdtm
Nothing wrong with fanfic.

If Orville wasn't parody, I agree it would be great fanfic.

riv6672
The show isnt a parody, its a legit sci fi program that pays homage to Star Trek.

cdtm
It's a bit of both, imo.

Issac cutting off legs, or an alien pee Party skirts the lines, between the really good homage stuff (And between the really good parody stuff. Parody can be good, too, it doesn't have to be SNL.)

Darth Thor
Saw Season 2 Episode 1 which is actually the first episode ive seen of this, and I really enjoyed it. Gonna keep watching.

riv6672
^^^welcome to the universe!

Patient_Leech
Episode 4 with the Krill...

thumb up

WolvesofBabylon
Didnt expect to like this show as much as I do.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
Didnt expect to like this show as much as I do.

I think that's the case for many people.

It's got a unique, quirky, charming, and comedic approach to sci-fi space adventure.

Darth Thor
^^^welcome to the universe!

Ha! Thanks. The more Trek the Better.

No idea why I brushed this off before.

riv6672
It happens.
I blew off Parks & Rec for nearly FIVE seasons.

samhain
It happens.
I blew off Parks & Rec for nearly FIVE seasons.

Still keep planning on getting round to that, I put off watching Archer for about 7 years though so who knows when I will.

-Pr-
With P&R, be ready for the first season to suck, but it does pick up massively after that.

riv6672

cdtm
Blob guy?

riv6672
Blob guy?

Yeah he was kinda like a blob...
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/parksandrecreation/images/e/e6/Paul_Schneider.jpg

Darth Thor

riv6672
No, it was still good, it just wasnt as good as it was gonna get.
You wanna skip 2 seasons of characterization and plot lines/in jokes that run all the way through the entire series though, thats on you. stick out tongue

Darth Thor
Ah right. As long as its still good.

Kazenji
Might not make it past season 2 according to this person

https://www.tvovermind.com/why-the-orville-probably-wont-make-it-past-season-2/

sounds like the guy who wrote it is trying to place doubt on people, Must work for CBS.

riv6672
^^^haha

riv6672

cdtm
So no more "bro!" Joe Swanson?

Guess they played that as far as it could go, but kind of liked him.

riv6672
Same, he was like that gross friend we all had in HS, grown up.

cdtm

riv6672

cdtm
Didn't have a chance to see this yet.

It's Isaac centric. Already calling it the best episode ever.

Patient_Leech
I missed the latest episode or two, so I'm going to need to catch up.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Cool, yeah, it's just Episode 6 I missed, just last night's episode, "A Happy Refrain." I saw the previous week's. I'll catch up soon enough.

(Lost track of time because I've been sick as f#ck for a couple weeks)

riv6672

cdtm
They say laughter heals. If that's true, the last Orville could cure cancer.

samhain
I found it to be a little dull yet somehow hilarious as well, genuinely laughed for about 5 minutes at Isaac in his underwear being a jerk.

riv6672

KingD19
"As I am incapable of stuttering, I must conclude you heard me."

Inhuman
Just started watching this. Show is great.

riv6672
^^^nice, a new fan!

cdtm
yaKyk90EVJg

Inhuman
Why did the Alaura actor leave?

Kazenji
From what i read she wanted to start doing movies.

no...not those sort of movies.

riv6672
^^^she was on an ep. of the new MAGNUM PI a week after her last ORVILLE ep. Took me a ninute to recognize her sans makeup.

Robtard
From what i read she wanted to start doing movies.

no...not those sort of movies.

eek!

sad

TheVaultDweller
I wonder how the critics will explain away this one lol.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s01/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s02/

Seems like they are just bandwagon-ing now after the first season was well received by fans.

Inhuman
This show quickly became one of my current favorite shows after I marathoned all the episodes.

riv6672
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I wonder how the critics will explain away this one lol.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s01/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s02/

Seems like they are just bandwagon-ing now after the first season was well received by fans.
Maybe.
I wanna give them credit for being open minded but, your scenario seems more likely...stick out tongue

cdtm
That was a snazzy shoe.

riv6672

riv6672
Pretty thought provoking ep.
another win this season. Looks like some high adventure next time around. First of a two parter i believe.

cdtm
Pretty thought provoking ep.
another win this season. Looks like some high adventure next time around. First of a two parter i believe.

A few times I cynically thought "I know where this is going."

I did not. Forgot what a show pleasantly subverting expectations is like.

riv6672
I know! So refreshing.

Patient_Leech
I liked the latest episode, seemed like a good little insightful stab at the homophobia of Islam and Christianity (except in this case heterophobia, ha), but I can actually almost sympathize with people who think that the show might be just a season-long exercise in why you don't date people at work. laughing out loud

It doesn't bother me, I still like it, but I have seen that it has annoyed people. I'm looking forward to the return to some action/adventure in the next episode.

samhain
Replacing the female Xelayan character with another female Xelayan character makes it seem like the original actress fell out with the crew/cast/writers. Just think they could have given us a completely new character.

Inhuman
Bring back Alara erm

riv6672

TheVaultDweller
Every episode I watch, I have more and more respect for the character of Ed. Being a captain of a spaceship is tough already, but being the captain of that ship in particular? Friggin' nightmare.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
OH F#CK!

That was hands-down the best episode so far this season.

I was instantly suspicious the first time I heard Isaac's planet was inhabited by only robots. That made so many questions come to mind and apparently they were the right questions. The planet was quite like I imagined it, too.

Too much suspense, have to wait a week for part 2!

WolvesofBabylon
This show is so good. What an episode.

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Yeah, f#ck, this was definitely my favorite episode so far, possibly of the entire series.

The only thing that seemed a little odd was the kid being able to exit the ship at his leisure. That's a bit of a safety concern.

And it also seems a little odd that no one seemed to question how there was a planet inhabited only by robots who are also somewhat secretive and defensive. It might not be a good idea to bring him on board. But it's a fascinating look at the dangers of AI! I just now realized: I wonder if Isaac was named after Isaac Asimov, who was famous for writing about AI robots. Probably.

riv6672
^^^Thats who he was named after yeah.

Gotta wonder how things will go after the conclusion of part 2.
Even allowing for a heel/face turn and defection by Isaac, will the Orville crew (named and in general) be able to trust him again?
Even if they do, will the higher ups treat him as a legit defector or a non human enemy combatant, to be taken apart and studied for weaknesses/reverse engineered?
Or will Seth re-establish the status quo somehow? Go in some other direction entirely?
Wil be interesting regardless.

Patient_Leech
^^^Thats who he was named after yeah.

Gotta wonder how things will go after the conclusion of part 2.
Even allowing for a heel/face turn and defection by Isaac, will the Orville crew (named and in general) be able to trust him again?
Even if they do, will the higher ups treat him as a legit defector or a non human enemy combatant, to be taken apart and studied for weaknesses/reverse engineered?
Or will Seth re-establish the status quo somehow? Go in some other direction entirely?
Wil be interesting regardless.

Yeah, good questions.

It seems to me that Isaac and his "people" almost reflect a naive or innocent unfeeling cruelty simply because they can't relate to biological beings, they just don't understand how or why not dying and suffering is important to them. So maybe they are legitimately trying to understand by sending Isaac to study them, but they are just incapable of it. Maybe we'll find out more about how they were created and programmed. That could be fascinating.

Maybe they'll reach some understanding of biological entities and decide not to genocide humans and take over earth...

...that would be considerate and a big step forward for them! lol

If all they need is another habitable planet.. i mean, phuck, there's plenty of those. I don't know why they can't just find another...

cdtm
Yeah, f#ck, this was definitely my favorite episode so far, possibly of the entire series.

The only thing that seemed a little odd was the kid being able to exit the ship at his leisure. That's a bit of a safety concern.

And it also seems a little odd that no one seemed to question how there was a planet inhabited only by robots who are also somewhat secretive and defensive. It might not be a good idea to bring him on board. But it's a fascinating look at the dangers of AI! I just now realized: I wonder if Isaac was named after Isaac Asimov, who was famous for writing about AI robots. Probably.

Remember, this is a show where Isaac gave kids guns. smile

riv6672
^^^nothing wrong w. that.

riv6672
Yeah, good questions.

It seems to me that Isaac and his "people" almost reflect a naive or innocent unfeeling cruelty simply because they can't relate to biological beings, they just don't understand how or why not dying and suffering is important to them. So maybe they are legitimately trying to understand by sending Isaac to study them, but they are just incapable of it. Maybe we'll find out more about how they were created and programmed. That could be fascinating.

Maybe they'll reach some understanding of biological entities and decide not to genocide humans and take over earth...

...that would be considerate and a big step forward for them! lol

If all they need is another habitable planet.. i mean, phuck, there's plenty of those. I don't know why they can't just find another...
Good questions on -your- part, too.
I love a show that gives us food for thought.

Patient_Leech
Remember, this is a show where Isaac gave kids guns. smile

Hm.. I'm not remember that for some reason. Is it from this season or the previous?

cdtm
Hm.. I'm not remember that for some reason. Is it from this season or the previous?

jW9mn1eMKUE&t=7s

Inhuman
My fear is that we are going to lose another good character from the cast.
First Alara , now Isaac erm

riv6672
jW9mn1eMKUE&t=7s
So...how was that wrong? laughing

Patient_Leech
^ Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... I liked the Alara episode, too, so apparently the episodes with people leaving are my favorites.. haha

jW9mn1eMKUE&t=7s

Thanks, I'll watch when I get a chance.

Patient_Leech
Okay, I remember that episode now. But I don't remember remember him giving the kids guns. Those clips don't show it. Hm..

cdtm
Okay, I remember that episode now. But I don't remember remember him giving the kids guns. Those clips don't show it. Hm..

? The clip shows him handing them sci fi guns. Second or third scene in.

riv6672
Yeah its in there.

TheVaultDweller
I quite enjoyed the last episode as well. However, the Kaylons are still going to need some kind of ace in the hole to keep the stakes high and maintain the tension they built with this episode. At it stands, it's still one planet versus an alliance of hundreds.

riv6672
True.
It looks like theyre going for shock and awe by targeting earth. If they succeed they metaphorically kill the Planetary Union. Thats only going to go so far, though. The numbers dont lie, like you said.

TheVaultDweller
Maybe they will use the captured Orville to try some kind of Trojan Horse tactic.

cdtm
Originally posted by Inhuman
My fear is that we are going to lose another good character from the cast.
First Alara , now Isaac erm

I'm not so sure. Maybe.

There's a whole new world of character development in an Isaac without a home or purpose. This, assuming he has a heel face turn at the 11th hour, which is almost certain.

On the other hand, if this is borrowing from Trek, then there was that Borg who broke away from the collective. The Federation wanted to use him as a weapon, implanting a virus, and Picard was against it.. Isaac, even if reformed, could be seen as a potential Trojan horse by high command, to be used and discarded..

riv6672
I'm not so sure. Maybe.

There's a whole new world of character development in an Isaac without a home or purpose. This, assuming he has a heel face turn at the 11th hour, which is almost certain.

On the other hand, if this is borrowing from Trek, then there was that Borg who broke away from the collective. The Federation wanted to use him as a weapon, implanting a virus, and Picard was against it.. Isaac, even if reformed, could be seen as a potential Trojan horse by high command, to be used and discarded..
I agree, mostly cuz i said pretty much the same thing. thumb up

Inhuman
I already thought about a "reformed" Isaac scenario that stays with the crew after this whole thing pans out, but the problem with that lies with the fact that Isaac's actions lead to the massacre of a bunch of people on the Orville.
They are just going to slide that under the rug?

TheVaultDweller
Well, they can always claim the other Kaylons messed with his programming when he returned, forcing him to betray the crew. Or even while he was shut down. I mean they can clearly mess with him remotely.

Inhuman
Thats possible for Isaac being accepted back by the crew of the Orville, NOT for the ED's superiors which seem to be against most things that would endanger the space alliance.

But who knows. Hopefully the outcome will be good.

Robtard
I already thought about a "reformed" Isaac scenario that stays with the crew after this whole thing pans out, but the problem with that lies with the fact that Isaac's actions lead to the massacre of a bunch of people on the Orville.
They are just going to slide that under the rug?

If they accept that Isaac wasn't in control of himself at the time, yeah.

eg Remember when Armus took control of Data's body and threatened to kill crew members and Data was like "you're in control blobboy, so it's not me!".

Well, not in those exact words cos Data, but you get the point.

riv6672
It all depends how straight Seth chooses to play it. Cant wait to find out!

samhain
A really predictable sequence of events in this episode, I'm also expecting an 11th hour about-turn. You never know with Seth though, this episode you could see coming a mile away but that might be why it's a 2-parter, next episode we'll get the unexpected... hopefully.

Patient_Leech
Oh, shit... this might be the most excited I've ever been about a new episode.

Can't wait to see where this goes in Part 2...

Patient_Leech
I enjoyed Part 2, even though it seemed pretty paint by numbers.

I really didn't expect Isaac to be destroyed or banished from the fleet, so that was pretty predictable, but still enjoyable.

Oh, and apparently he's named after Isaac Newton, not Isaac Asimov. Or maybe both?

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Oh, the little shuttle sequence with Malloy and Grayson was awful. That's the worst the special effects have ever looked on the show, and there has been at least a handful of very cheap-looking sequences.

The big battle sequence at the end looked decent, though, but I found it sort of boring with so much shit going on on the screen. It looked like Star Wars. Making something a bit more intimate and personal there might have been nice.

cdtm

cdtm
One quick comment, then I'll go into details later:

Something like 3 ships destroyed at the cost of 60. Krill swoop in, Kaylon drop like flies. Their STARFIGHTERS bring some diown.

The alliance is lucky the Krill never declared all out war on them, it would be a short campaign.

Inhuman
As others have said, it was kind of predictable but still enjoyable.

TheVaultDweller

Something like 3 ships destroyed at the cost of 60. Krill swoop in, Kaylon drop like flies. Their STARFIGHTERS bring some diown.

The alliance is lucky the Krill never declared all out war on them, it would be a short campaign.

Was actually 32 to 6 IIRC. Also, just because the Kaylon ships weren't being outright destroyed doesn't mean they weren't taking damage. The Krill basically swooped in at the last second, after the Union had done the actual legwork and softened the Kaylon fleet up. Remember, during the Krill's first encounter with a single Kaylon ship, it destroyed two of theirs before going down to the third.

It did kind of highlight my point after the last episode though. Two fleets were enough to drive them off. Based on how they were talking this episode about the Moclan fleet, it seems like the different races of the Union have their own fleets that operate with autonomy. And I am assuming others, like the Xelayans (who have been mentioned as having a military) have their own fleet as well. And other Union members possibly also.

TheVaultDweller
Also, based on how it was mentioned that the Union fleet was spread out and that it would take weeks to recall everyone, what we saw was probably only a relatively small segment of the entire thing. So, I am really not seeing how the Kaylons would have been able to sustain a prolonged conflict against literally all the biological races in the galaxy.

cdtm
Assuming that was their entire fleet, yeah.

The thing is we know they regularly build Kaylons for specific purposes. And, they built weapons in the time it took for the delegation to figure out they were being deceived. That could have been a test run, or they could be retreating to build a much bigger fleet over weeks/months.)

TheVaultDweller
Problem with that is their whole reason for expansion was that they were starting to exceed their planet's capacity. Do they even have the resources to rebuild their fleet? No one is going to trade with them now.

In comparison, we already know the Union is making repairs, trying to come up with plans, is working towards using this opportunity to forge a stronger relationship with the Krill, have Isaac to help with info and prep, as well as what Yaphit learned. Not to mention we know they have way more access to resources than a single planet.

What's more, the Union has another huge advantage. Now knowing their history, they have a much better understanding of the Kaylons and their motivations, as slavery is a topic our species is all too familiar with. Ultimately, the Kaylons have proven that, while they have a lot of data on biological lifeforms, they really don't understand them. Hell, they didn't even understand enough of another Kaylon who had experience with them to not see an obvious betrayal coming.

Inhuman

You missed the one important factor in why the Krill ship's seemed stronger in fire power.

It was the will of AVIS that made it so

cdtm
You missed the one important factor in why the Krill ship's seemed stronger in fire power.

It was the will of AVIS that made it so

laughing thumb up

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>