Piracy: Can it/will it be stopped?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
Bonus question...How much money does WB,Disney, Sony, Lionsgate make off of piracy?

riv6672

The Spectre+
^^ i think he was talking about watching bootleg versions of movies.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I personally like pirate movies. I wouldn't want them to be stopped...

Some of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and even Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks. I like 'em.

confused

Happy Dance

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
How much money does WB,Disney, Sony, Lionsgate make off of piracy?

Lol, I don't think they make money off of it. Pretty sure they lose money from it.

Bentley
One Piece should get a night unwatchable live action adaptation.

The Spectre+
^^ I think he was talking about watching bootleg versions of movies.

riv6672
Bootlegs is how we got our movies when deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan.
Those ppl provide a valuable service.

Surtur
The more we have places like DC and Marvel creating all these netflix alternatives the more we're going to see piracy. Most people aren't gonna pay to have 8,000 different netflix-like services, so they'll torrent the shows they are interested in on any streaming service they don't have. Especially if it's only one or two shows in total.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Lol, I don't think they make money off of it. Pretty sure they lose money from it.

But.. Butt...But.. they are billion dollar movie studios so if they are affected by piracy then why don't they stop it?? Unless they make money off of piracy

Originally posted by riv6672
Bootlegs is how we got our movies when deployed to Iraq & Afghanistan.
Those ppl provide a valuable service.

i understand what you're saying though..

will you tell that to the likes of darth thor?? hahaha

CroftAlice
It can't be stopped

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur
The more we have places like DC and Marvel creating all these netflix alternatives the more we're going to see piracy. Most people aren't gonna pay to have 8,000 different netflix-like services, so they'll torrent the shows they are interested in on any streaming service they don't have. Especially if it's only one or two shows in total.

Pretty much. Corporate greed in the short term gets in the way of long term profits.

riv6672
Or creates opportunity for savvy entrepreneurs...

Robtard
Bonus question...How much money does WB,Disney, Sony, Lionsgate make off of piracy?

Can't really be stopped, whenever one site goes down two others rise in it's place, like the the heads of the hydra.

Supposedly the film industry lost 30+ billion in 2018 due to piracy. I believe the lion's share of that loss is from the Asian market.

Patient_Leech
But.. Butt...But.. they are billion dollar movie studios so if they are affected by piracy then why don't they stop it?? Unless they make money off of piracy

They do try to stop it. They complain to internet service providers.

Robtard

^ This.

With Comcast/Infinity: Every time some entity (eg Warner Bros, Sony, Paramount etc)) sends a complaint to Comcast saying "X" IP address using your service illegally downloaded and/or shared some content, Comcast sends an auto-email to the user. Six complaints in a given time-frame and Comcast sends an official warning. Three official warnings and Comast will suspend your account for a month (or more), enough suspensions and they'll cancel your service.

Using a VPN usually stops this, as it blocks others from seeing the IP address, even your ISP doesn't know what you're downloading exactly, they just see that you're using their service through a 3rd party or country and "X" amount of data being transferred.

I don't think Comcast cares, they just legally have to warn their users of an infraction and take some action that shows they at least tried to stop you with warnings and suspensions, as they're not legally bound to inform the complainer of who you are, meaning Sony or Lars Ulrich can't personally sue you. At least they weren't before, that might have changed with current US internet laws/regulations.

BrolyBlack

BruceSkywalker

Originally posted by Robtard
^ This.

With Comcast/Infinity: Every time some entity (eg Warner Bros, Sony, Paramount etc)) sends a complaint to Comcast saying "X" IP address using your service illegally downloaded and/or shared some content, Comcast sends an auto-email to the user. Six complaints in a given time-frame and Comcast sends an official warning. Three official warnings and Comast will suspend your account for a month (or more), enough suspensions and they'll cancel your service.

Using a VPN usually stops this, as it blocks others from seeing the IP address, even your ISP doesn't know what you're downloading exactly, they just see that you're using their service through a 3rd party or country and "X" amount of data being transferred.

I don't think Comcast cares, they just legally have to warn their users of an infraction and take some action that shows they at least tried to stop you with warnings and suspensions, as they're not legally bound to inform the complainer of who you are, meaning Sony or Lars Ulrich can't personally sue you. At least they weren't before, that might have changed with current US internet laws/regulations.

thumb up

riv6672
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
laughing out loud
Hey i researched that post really hard. Its not like anyone TRIES to remember cutthroat Island.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.