Critically acclaimed films you disliked

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
Every year critics review films that garner interest among themselves and viewers. Whether the film bombs or has a limited release, what are some critically loved films that you had a hard time watching? Was is the director, the acting, or did the film dragon on too long for you?

riv6672
THE GODFATHER
THE BIG LEBOWSKI
LA LA LAND
COCO
BLADERUNNER 2049

There are a lot more, those are off the top of my head.
Pretty sure those are all acclaimed. I know i get shit for not liking them.
As to why, generally they bored me.

The Spectre+
Ha!
All of marvel movies. stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
^ Agree with La La Land. It's just not my cup of tea.

Moonlight was extremely overrated with a weak-ass story.

I didn't actively dislike Blade Runner 2049, but I did find it sort of boring. I feel about the same toward it as I do toward the original film. But I don't dislike it, just because of how nice it is to look at, amazing cinematography.

It's been many, many years since i saw it as a kid, but Schindler's List struck me as more boring than anything. To me there are far better World War II films, like The Pianist, Saving Private Ryan, Hacksaw Ridge, etc..

But I like The Godfather, seen it two or three times. It's been a long time, though.

CroftAlice
All "Superhero" movies

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by CroftAlice
All "Superhero" movies

Ah, yes. To a large extent, I agree, yes. thumb up

Darth Thor
Like the ones that win best picture at the Oscars every year. Save last year (Shape of Water), and whichever year Return of the King won.

Patient_Leech
I didn't like Dunkirk.

It was filmed pretty well, but I just didn't find it very interesting. It was too dry for my taste.

Bentley
I was utterly disappointed by the Shape of Water

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Bentley
I was utterly disappointed by the Shape of Water

Why?

Bentley
The Monster was a Marty Stu character, the escapism metaphor overstayed its welcome, the visuals were ambitious but still failed to capture the feeling of old cinema classics and the good scenes were too far appart for each other to make up for its weak parts.

I'm a sucker for Monster aesthetics and movie homages but his one really missed me hard.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Bentley
...the visuals were ambitious but still failed to capture the feeling of old cinema classics...

So would black & white help? Personally I thought the colors and visuals were excellent, Del Toro at his best.

John Murdoch
As soon as I saw this thread title, I knew Leech would come in commenting about Moonlight.

Leech, thank you for not disappointing me.

John Murdoch
Pretty much all the films everyone has mentioned, I can see why people would not like them, though I for the most part enjoyed them:

- Dunkirk
- The Godfather
- Blade Runner 2049
- Superhero movies
- Coco

Again, though, most of the complaints about each of the movies are valid. I personally still liked the films to varying degrees while acknowledging their weaknesses, so, to each her or his own.

Besides the best-in-history at the time visuals, I was not a big fan of Avatar. At all. 6/10 tops for me. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long.

steverules_2
BR 2049 is critically acclaimed?

John Murdoch
Originally posted by steverules_2
BR 2049 is critically acclaimed?

Won at least 1 Oscar and was nom'ed for best picture, my man.

steverules_2
Ugh, well was an utter disappointment for me

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by John Murdoch
As soon as I saw this thread title, I knew Leech would come in commenting about Moonlight.

Leech, thank you for not disappointing me.

Holy SHIT Moonlight was lame. Glad I didn't disappoint you, haha..

And I'm not anti-gay. I'm totally for gay rights. I just thought the movie was terrible.

Originally posted by John Murdoch
Won at least 1 Oscar and was nom'ed for best picture, my man.

It wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Just cinematography, I believe.

Impediment
Mystic River was so f*cking stupid.

Flyattractor
Pretty much any movie that is made for the ONLY Reason is to win Awards. Like the Oscar Primarily.

Robtard
Lost in Translation
Black Swan

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Pretty much any movie that is made for the ONLY Reason is to win Awards. Like the Oscar Primarily.

Don't be a lazy motherfu#$ker. Which ones? Not all of the Best Picture nominees are bad. Though admittedly some of them are, which I mentioned.

Flyattractor
Which ones? ALL OF THEM!

Patient_Leech
You are so lame, Fly.

Flyattractor
I try.

Patient_Leech
It's okay, I expect nothing more from you.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Holy SHIT Moonlight was lame. Glad I didn't disappoint you, haha..

And I'm not anti-gay. I'm totally for gay rights. I just thought the movie was terrible.

It wasn't nominated for Best Picture. Just cinematography, I believe.

Lol. I may watch it someday just to judge for myself.

And I do stand corrected, BR2049 won for cinematography and visual effects, nom'ed for 3 others. I apologize steve.

Flyattractor
It's okay, I expect nothing more from you.

I do try to not disappoint.

Flyattractor
Don't be a lazy motherfu#$ker. Which ones? Not all of the Best Picture nominees are bad. Though admittedly some of them are, which I mentioned.

Oh and last Movie I can recall that I went to see that falls in to the Category I mentioned would probably be "The English Patient".

God that movie was Boring!!!!!!!

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Robtard
Lost in Translation
Black Swan thumb up

Also Magnolia.

TheVaultDweller
Schindler's List. Only watch it if you want to be miserable for a good couple of hours, and then be disappointed to later learn that one of the most emotive moments in the film (where he breaks down at the end before fleeing because he couldn't save more people) was apparently fabricated.

Also, some of the responses to the film were gag-worthy. People like Oprah straight up claimed the act of watching the film made her a better person.

riv6672

Kazenji
I've watched Schindler's List a few times, Had to do something in School on it

once was enough for me

as for the topic

The Godfather
Gravity
Birdman
Arrival

Bentley
So would black & white help? Personally I thought the colors and visuals were excellent, Del Toro at his best.

I would've enjoyed more rough practical effects here and there. It's somehow a bit too clean in some parts that should be clunkier (on purpose). I agree it's up there as far as his style goes though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.