The Degradation of the Movie Experience

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BrolyBlack
People and companies have degraded the experience of going to the movies.

First of all, seating selection. It used to be first come first serve. Its a blessing but also a curse.

You cant select seats properly online because it says "you cannot have a seat gap between you."

Also, everyone shows up brings in piles of food, noisy wrappers that they personally can never open in a dark theater and the place becomes a mess that never really gets cleaned up right for the next showing.

You would think most rational people know they should not be downing 300-500 grams of sugar and carbs in a 1-2 hour period. They do it anyways. Everyone has to get their large popcorn, nachos, and diet coke.

Then after all these people eat all that crap, they have to get up and go to the bathroom like 3 time which just causes distractions for everyone else.

Then there are the talkers and noise makers.

Do people not realize how stupid they are being and rude to others or is this just accepted as a horse trough where the public can come act like fools in public and it be "acceptable"

ares834

BrolyBlack
Which is why I said it was a blessing and a curse, no more lines. But you cant select certain seats online, which is dumb.

ares834
Only if you try to keep a single seat open because you don't wanna sit by strangers.

BrolyBlack
Yea but sometimes there is only two seat in between, if you go by yourself, you can select one of those two seats.

tkitna
Originally posted by BrolyBlack

First of all, seating selection. It used to be first come first serve. Its a blessing but also a curse.

You cant select seats properly online because it says "you cannot have a seat gap between you."

Also, everyone shows up brings in piles of food, noisy wrappers that they personally can never open in a dark theater and the place becomes a mess that never really gets cleaned up right for the next showing.

You would think most rational people know they should not be downing 300-500 grams of sugar and carbs in a 1-2 hour period. They do it anyways. Everyone has to get their large popcorn, nachos, and diet coke.

Then after all these people eat all that crap, they have to get up and go to the bathroom like 3 time which just causes distractions for everyone else.

Do people not realize how stupid they are being and rude to others or is this just accepted as a horse trough where the public can come act like fools in public and it be "acceptable"

And people pay for the experience. I quit going to the theaters some time ago for the exact reasons mentioned. When someone says they want the big screen experience, I tell them to sit closer to the TV or computer.

jaden_2.0
The food thing really annoys me. Popcorn? Fine. A drink? Ok. Nachos and hotdogs that stink the entire place out? ****...you.

The other annoyance being trying to watch the big screen and being distracted by the huge numbers of little screens popping up then disappearing every 2 seconds. Can people seriously not concentrate on a movie for 2 hours?

Robtard

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
The food thing really annoys me. Popcorn? Fine. A drink? Ok. Nachos and hotdogs that stink the entire place out? ****...you.

The other annoyance being trying to watch the big screen and being distracted by the huge numbers of little screens popping up then disappearing every 2 seconds. Can people seriously not concentrate on a movie for 2 hours?

^This too

I just yell at people if they're on the phone repeatedly.

jaden_2.0
To avoid the phone issue, and depending on who I'm with at the cinema, I tend to sit closer to the front just to avoid phone glare and stinky food arseholes. Although I've got 1 mate who usually books us back row cos of his terrible eye sight.

BrolyBlack
Yea but sometimes there is only two seat in between, if you go by yourself, you can select one of those two seats.

*cant

dadudemon
Great list. I'll respond to each point.

I disagree. It has only improved.

Good. So glad first-come-first serve is now extending to seat reservation and not just assholes who show up 15 minutes early and then layout 10 coats to reserve "10 seats" for people not actually there. My ability to plan a few days in advance should trump everyone's inability to plan at all.

I have never run into this. Ever. I only go alone or with my family/friends/sweetheart. Seat gap thing is weird to complain about. Why not just sit together?

It depends on the theater. Almost all theaters clean up for the next showing. People eating food in the theater has been a thing for ages/decades. Nothing will change. Watch movies at home. It's better.

I now watch a movie about once a month to once every 2 months, in the theater. if I do it, I'll plan out my cheat day to coincide with the movie. I look great, naked. Not worried about 4000 calories of food.

This,again, is not a new problem. That's always been the problem since the beginning of theaters (not just movie theaters: theaters since the ancient of days like the Greek Comedies).

See above. Report them to theater management. Ask for a refund. Watch another showing.

Or stop seeing movies in the theater.

Yes, they realize it. They don't give even a tiny little shit about it. Again, problem since ages past.

I suggest you stop watching movies in the theater. Make your own home theater.

Where I live, now, they have a theater in the building on the first floor. I watched Solo in there. They have a "mini-mart" on the first floor. Bought my goodies there, too. All without interacting with other humans. No one was in that theater when I watched Solo. It was awesome.

I farted so so so so many times. And I had my sweetheart sit on my lap in the reclining chair, too.

Jealous? smile

BrolyBlack
^STFUsmile

carthage
Biggest issue I have is lack of clean seats
Hate putting my hand on the armrest only to find used gum or wrappers on it. Also the local theaters tend to get the times wrong, and ads can run for like an additional 5 minutes 😒

Robtard
To avoid the phone issue, and depending on who I'm with at the cinema, I tend to sit closer to the front just to avoid phone glare and stinky food arseholes. Although I've got 1 mate who usually books us back row cos of his terrible eye sight.

Even then there's some assclown who has to check his FB page 9 times during a film.

I sit towards the back as well, not really due to poor eyesight, just a preference. middle-rear is what I like, middle works too.

BrolyBlack
So dumb

Kazenji
Don't need to worry about seat selection here unless its a big film opening first night for it.

BruceSkywalker

^^ tgis is why i bring my own food...

Originally posted by carthage
Hate putting my hand on the armrest only to find used gum or wrappers on it. Also the local theaters tend to get the times wrong, and ads can run for like an additional 5 minutes 😒

this don't happen at the theater i go too but i see your pinnt

Flyattractor
When they get Online Snack Ordering and Pick up then I will care more about going to the movies.

Khazra Reborn
You guys are too pissy, I love going to the movies. I go every every week, most months.

cdtm
Originally posted by carthage

Worse is sitting in a broken seat. Then moving into another broken seat.

BrolyBlack

BrolyBlack

Impediment
People on their cell phones are my biggest gripe.

I have no issue whatsoever telling you to put it away.

BrolyBlack
Yea because your a giant

Flyattractor
Nah. He just think He has Mod Powers out in the real world too..

It is starting to go to his head.

Patient_Leech
I honestly haven't had too much problem with people on phones, going to the bathroom, eating, etc. But I did have an annoying guy sniffing his snot loudly right next to me every 5 or 10 seconds. That got old really quickly.

With certain theaters I've noticed significant issues with either sound or visual quality, so I've learned that I just need to stick with the best theater in town. Even my local cheap theater ($2.50 tickets) has better audio/video than a couple of the main theaters. We have a pretty damn nice cheap theater, I love it, although you don't get those comfy seats.

I do prefer to see most things at home, but for certain things I want to see on the big screen I do find it a bit more annoying having to plan to get seats together with the assigned seating. But yeah, it's bittersweet because the new reclining seats are super nice.

Flyattractor
Last Movie I saw was in one of those old Historical Theaters that still had the same seats art deco style to it. Mad those old sound systems just don't work at ALL...and man Do I love the new modern recliner seats.

Dreampanther
Haven't gone to the cinema in years. Used to love it, decades ago, but now there is no point, unless you HAVE to see it the moment it comes out. The home cinema experience is better in every sense of the way, if you know how to spend your money.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Haven't gone to the cinema in years. Used to love it, decades ago, but now there is no point, unless you HAVE to see it the moment it comes out. The home cinema experience is better in every sense of the way, if you know how to spend your money. I'm 22 and already burned out on it.

It's certainly a lot funner and more exciting then staying at home, but there's no real reason, it's too expensive, you can't pause it, you can't watch it multiple times without paying, and some people are guaranteed to be obnoxious and ruin the movie experience.

cdtm
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I honestly haven't had too much problem with people on phones, going to the bathroom, eating, etc. But I did have an annoying guy sniffing his snot loudly right next to me every 5 or 10 seconds. That got old really quickly.

With certain theaters I've noticed significant issues with either sound or visual quality, so I've learned that I just need to stick with the best theater in town. Even my local cheap theater ($2.50 tickets) has better audio/video than a couple of the main theaters. We have a pretty damn nice cheap theater, I love it, although you don't get those comfy seats.

I do prefer to see most things at home, but for certain things I want to see on the big screen I do find it a bit more annoying having to plan to get seats together with the assigned seating. But yeah, it's bittersweet because the new reclining seats are super nice.

Nothing ruins a movie worse then noticing damage to the screen, and not being able to unsee it.

Except for that time Avatar had a damn line running down the film itself for most of it.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Nah. He just think He has Mod Powers out in the real world too..

It is starting to go to his head.

Actually no, hes an actual giant, we have met before.

Impediment
Mod power in the real world is for police officers.

I have no qualms whatsoever about standing up and calling someone out for being a disrespectful piece of shit for talking on a phone while others are trying to watch and enjoy a movie they paid for.

Small children and babies are another thing. Keep your f*cking kids quiet.

BrolyBlack
Just ban fly for the fck of it and show him some mod powerlaughing out loud

cdtm
Originally posted by Impediment
Mod power in the real world is for police officers.

I have no qualms whatsoever about standing up and calling someone out for being a disrespectful piece of shit for talking on a phone while others are trying to watch and enjoy a movie they paid for.

Movie theaters all over the world need more of you.

Dr Will Hatch
I've never had a problem in a movie theater. The only inconvenient thing that's ever happened was when I went to go see Inglorious Basterds on opening day, all of the seats were full, so I had to sit in the aisle. Maybe I'm just lucky.

StiltmanFTW
Yea because your a giant

thumb up

Imp is Class 100.

Flyattractor
Actually no, hes an actual giant, we have met before.

Is He really that Big or is it just that you are that Small?

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
thumb up

Imp is Class 100.

as an example of said SHORTNESS!

BrolyBlack

Flyattractor
I have seen your legs? Breaded or just baked?

BrolyBlack
Baked

Flyattractor
And How!

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Impediment

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yeah, I've heard some noisy kids in movies before. And that's fine if it's Secret Life of Pets or something. You expect kids to be in the theater for that, it's part of the experience. But I've seen kids in the most inappropriate movies before. I remember there was like a 5 or 6 year old right in front of me when I saw 30 Days of Night. I specifically remember an extremely violent decapitation by ax scene in that movie. That's some fu#ked up shit for kids that age.

Yeah, I'll never understand bringing babies to the theater. That just wouldn't even be fun and then you'd know you're just annoying everyone else there.

Flyattractor
Every theater should have a Cry Room. Those things are great.

Patient_Leech
Every theater should have a Cry Room. Those things are great.

No, because then parents would be encouraged to bring babies to the theater.

I will say that as a parent I have no desire to bring a baby to the theater and I shouldn't be encouraged to do so.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
No, because then parents would be encouraged to bring babies to the theater.

I will say that as a parent I have no desire to bring a baby to the theater and I shouldn't be encouraged to do so.

Better to Have a Place set aside for the IDIOTS then to Not Have one.

BackFire
I love the new reclining seats, being a big guy, it makes for the most comfortable theater experience I've ever had.

The seat reservation thing can be a problem if you're not planning ahead and going for a kind of spur of the moment decision. The new reclining seats are bigger and take up more space, thus there are fewer seats available, thus you essentially have to order seats an hour or two in advance, especially on weekends. Still I'd take the new seats over the old ones any day.

Most of the other things, as others have pointed out, aren't new. The cell phone thing is the worst.

BrolyBlack
And How!

Weight training and then sauna

Flyattractor
So your sauna smells like a kosher deli on a muggy day?

BrolyBlack
No it smells like cinnamon rolls

Flyattractor
Working off that DIE-abeetees.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.