Doom Patrol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
If you liked Titans you will probably like this, too. I enjoyed the first episode enough to make me want more. Pretty decent cast.

6tTM9nbRk5A

Flyattractor
Wonder how they will differentiate between Robotman and Cyborg. I would think have both on the same team would be kind of redundant.

riv6672
Agreed. I was hoping for just Cliff/Larry/Jane (or Rita) and the Chief.
The dynamic works best for me that way.

As a life long DP fan though, seeing the characters in live action is a real geek moment in and of itself.

Dreampanther
I'm hoping that Cyborg will only be introduced later to create another link with Titans, the way they did with Beast Boy.

-Pr-
I really enjoyed it, and want to see more.

Flyattractor
I dunno...still don't feel like biting that bullet and shelling out for this pay service. The Old Super Toons are a Carrot on the Stuck tho...

-Pr-
Who said anything about paying? That said, if it was available outside America, I'd probably get it anyway.

Flyattractor
Not all of us are Internet Pirates like you....Setting such a Bad Example for the younglings ,,,,and you a Mod No Less....

Tsk Tsk Tsk...

carthage
Hard pass on this

Titans was dogshit

-Pr-
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Not all of us are Internet Pirates like you....Setting such a Bad Example for the younglings ,,,,and you a Mod No Less....

Tsk Tsk Tsk...

If there was a way for me to get it otherwise, I'd get it.

Originally posted by carthage
Hard pass on this

Titans was dogshit

It's well better than Titans.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by -Pr-
If there was a way for me to get it otherwise, I'd get it.

Tsk Tsk Tsk....

https://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/temptationbanner.png

Galan007
Just watched ep.2. Really liking this show so far. thumb up

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Galan007
Just watched ep.2. Really liking this show so far. thumb up

It was excellent, both in writing and character development, I thought. I especially loved the snide "oh, look, a big city hero has come to save us" comments.

TheVaultDweller
I've liked the opening episodes so far. Brendan Fraser has been stealing the show for me though. It's hard to be both comedic and tragic simultaneously, especially when your character has zero facial expressions and you have to do all your emoting through your voice, but he pulls it off well.

steverules_2

TheVaultDweller

steverules_2
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Yes, he's got talent. He stepped away from the spotlight for a few years due to personal problems, but looks like the break did him good, as he seems to be doing well, both personally and career-wise. He's been in a number of things recently, and apparently has a couple of movies he's in coming soon too.

Last movie I saw him in was GI Joe, the Channing Tatum one

Surtur
I watched the first episode and am about to watch the 2nd. I thought the first one was really good, much better than Titans. Looking forward to more.

Galan007
"Impressive leadership skils, there, Batman..."

laughing out loud

Dreampanther
Jane rules.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0vav_LWwAEHQO0.jpg

Surtur
Yeah Janes pretty awesome. She has some wacky powers too. It's always cool to see new ones. I liked the one where she grows larger and becomes like the human torch-lite

I've seen 3 episodes and am now just beginning to watch the 4th and I gotta say I'm enjoying it more than I have any of the Marvel tv shows.

It's successfully combining the wackiness of comics with mature adult story telling. I can't think of any other show by DC or Marvel that achieved this.

Surtur
Also, they got f*cking Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man on the show. Tee hee.

Putinbot1

TheVaultDweller
Was a combination of things. Overworking and strain on his body and health, plus in the early 2000s, he was allegedly sexually assaulted by another man (some Hollywood exec groped him in a bathroom or something), which led to depression, divorce, and somewhat of a downward spiral for a time.

But his career and personal life both seem to have been taking an upturn in recent times again.

Galan007
This show continues to deliver.

I'm honestly shocked that some of the concepts Morrison came up with during his hardcore LSD years(like the Decreator and such) are actually working in this show. thumb up

TheVaultDweller
I've said it before but, damn, Fraser's voice acting is awesome in this show. The latest episode in particular gave him a chance to shine again.

Also, is it just me, or is this version of Cyborg way more engaging and interesting than the version we got in the JL movie?

Galan007
Fraser's VA work has impressed the hell out of me, tbh.

This Cyborg actually has depth... Something his counterpart in the movie was sorely lacking.

Surtur
Yep show continues to do well. Supposedly the first season is gonna have 15 episodes so we still have 8 left. This show made me give "Titans" another shot.

-Pr-
The show continues to be one of if not the best shows I currently watch... But that musical number in the last episode was a bit much, tbh.

Galan007
Okay, can someone explain the ending of the latest episode to me? Was it Mr. Nobody just f*cking with the Beard Hunter, or did the cavewoman's Werewolf-esque god lay the trap for some reason..?

Talon Fang
Any one heard about the DC Streaming being cancelled due to the Att/Time Warner merger?

Surtur
The show continues to be one of if not the best shows I currently watch... But that musical number in the last episode was a bit much, tbh.

I loved the musical. It fits with the weirdness of the show.

XRWX8oJaQSQ

TheVaultDweller
It says a lot about media conditioning that I can watch Cliff tear people limb from limb without reacting, but I find a guy eating a soggy clump of hair disgusting.

Galan007
It was f*cking drain hair, though. That's WAY worse than normal hair.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, it looked all slimy and shit. Had all that piping mold stuck to it. Blegh.

Surtur
Lol, I loved the beard hunter, it was hilarious. Though yeah, gross.

Is it worse than f*cking a woman covered in body hair tho?!

TheVaultDweller
Kinda makes me want to see Beard Hunter vs Captain America after eating his Infinity War beard lol.

Surtur
Damn, Mr. Nobody is just great at being a villain. He knows how to take these heroes apart. Poor Cyborg.

TheVaultDweller
It also helps when you can literally do damn near anything you want to. I'm guessing that if they do defeat him, the Negative Spirit will play a role. It was what got them out of his donkey dimension last time IIRC, and was mentioned as having properties that transcend time and space, or something along those lines, in a recent episode.

Galan007
Flex Mentallo? Didn't expect him to pop-up. blink

Surtur
Hehe, felt bad for flex.

Surtur
Oh shit the ending of that last episode...

Galan007
Yeah, apparently Niles was responsible for the 'accidents' that created each member of the Doom Patrol. What a dick...

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, and based on what was shown in the flashback episode with the cave woman, he was likely creating scenarios in which to experiment with immortality/eternal life, and bestowing it to people in various ways, to see which works best. Because all of them do appear functionally immortal, in terms of aging, due to their various abilities.

BruceSkywalker
i have only sporadically have watched this.

prior to GoT series finale, i finished episode 5 of doom patrol..

i do feel i will be done by the time swamp thing becomes available

Surtur
Kinda confusing, Chief wants to be immortal but....dude hasn't aged since like 1918.

-Pr-
Yeah, apparently Niles was responsible for the 'accidents' that created each member of the Doom Patrol. What a dick...

I hope it's a kind of "he knew he'd need a team to fight Mr. Nobody" thing. Not just him being a mad scientist dickhead.

Surtur
I hope it's a kind of "he knew he'd need a team to fight Mr. Nobody" thing. Not just him being a mad scientist dickhead.

Heh no it's "cuz immortality" lol.

-Pr-
Well, he at least had reasons that were more than just greed, so it wasn't too bad. That was the finale, right? Looking forward to next season.

Galan007
What a great season. Legit impressed with how metafictional concepts like this were handled on-screen. Definitely want to see more. thumb up

On a sidenote, Mr. Nobody has to be one of the most powerful characters I have ever seen...in any media.

"I'm powerful enough to control this entire streaming service if I wanted to!" laughing out loud

Robtard
Watched the first ep and I wasn't that impressed.

Surtur
New episodes begin in 1 week. Here is a trailer that also shows some of the new villains:

I6Fl_Kz-jw8

beatboks
Originally posted by Surtur
New episodes begin in 1 week. Here is a trailer that also shows some of the new villains:

I6Fl_Kz-jw8

Cant wait.
It'll be awesome having 2 quality comic based TV shows on air at the same time (DP, and Stsrgirl). Now if only we'd get a release date for the HBO Green Lantern (that hopefully will be decent also)

Old Man Whirly!
Umbrella Academy is out too soon.

beatboks
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Umbrella Academy is out too soon.

If only Netflix could still make Daredevil, and DCU were still making (hadnt cancelled ) Swamp thing. If they could and the Boys season 2 was on prime plus Watchmen having second season on HBO that (with Unbrella acadamy) would be every quality made superhero show on at/around the same time.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by beatboks
If only Netflix could still make Daredevil, and DCU were still making (hadnt cancelled ) Swamp thing. If they could and the Boys season 2 was on prime plus Watchmen having second season on HBO that (with Unbrella acadamy) would be every quality made superhero show on at/around the same time. I liked Punisher too, I thought it was great. I hated Watchmen tbh. It was a terrible show imho.

beatboks
I liked Punisher too, I thought it was great. I hated Watchmen tbh. It was a terrible show imho.

I ca t recall Punisher, so I'm thinking I havent seen it. Watchmen for me wasnt up there with Doom Patrol, Swamp thing, Daredevil, the Boys or Umbrella Acadamy (which are by far the stand out superhero TV shows), but I'd put it in the same league with stargirl (that I'm quite enjoying) just above Titans, Lucifer and Luke cage. Once you get past LC the quility starts dropping like blazes. There arare some several superhero shows I still enjoy, but its more despite the lack of quality. For example I love watching Legends but more as a comedy spoof. Jessica Jones was ok season 1, but season 2 wrecked it. Defenders was enjoyable but so damn slow. We didnt need 5 eps of character building for characters we'd already seen in their series.

If only certain films of the DCEU had been done by more of the creative forces behind the DCU

Galan007
Watched the first 3 episodes of S02.

Not impressed so far.

Old Man Whirly!
Watch episode 1 of S02 it was O.K.

Galan007
They really f*cked over Red Jack in this. ermm

Flyattractor
Would love to watch DP but really don't want to get involved with a WB Streaming service until they get their shit figured out.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Would love to watch DP but really don't want to get involved with a WB Streaming service until they get their shit figured out.

There are ways to watch without signing up...or so I've heard smile

BruceSkywalker
thoughts on 2nd season..

would anyone recommend

Surtur
DC streaming doesn't release all at once, they released the first 3 eps of the season. Then there will be weekly ep releases.

Anyways. I finished only the first episode and I did enjoy it. I think anyone who enjoyed the first season should watch.

beatboks
I've watched episode one.
Its good, though I wonder if its missing something(someone). Season 1 we had Nobody with his 4th wall irreverence to break up the dark nature of the drama with his tongue in cheek not take the show serious. I wonder if without him there narrating with that flick of humor now and again it will get too serious?

BruceSkywalker
DC streaming doesn't release all at once, they released the first 3 eps of the season. Then there will be weekly ep releases.

Anyways. I finished only the first episode and I did enjoy it. I think anyone who enjoyed the first season should watch.

i have watched the first season but i have to finished up the last two episodes

Flyattractor
There are ways to watch without signing up...or so I've heard smile

Yeah I know, but I heard that if they catch you , The make you share a Cell with Harvey Weinstien....

beatboks
Guess I jumped the gun.
The querky humor is still there just in different doses.
I laughed so hard at the roller rink in Dr Tyme's time capsule.

Just how many reality warping psychopaths can one man piss off in a lifetime? Even if he is over a 100.

Surtur
Yeah it gets going after the first episode.

NemeBro
Hopefully season two's ending is more tidy than the last one's. Barring the ending show was perfect.

beatboks
Wow, just wow.

At this point by the time season 2 is over this Doom Patrol is going to have saved the world enough times that the JL can't hope to catch up. The De-creator, Mr Nobody, sex demon.

Tall about some pretty average powered people taking on the biggest of threats out there repeatedly.

Galan007
It was cool to see Flex Mentallo back.

I'm starting to get tired of the "global/universal threat of the week" thing, though.

Surtur
The SeX-Men were great.

cdtm
Show off Doom Patrol to kids.

Disappointed there's no guys in armor fighting off demons in hell.

Surtur
Instead you just get a robot on ecstasy too high to fight a sex demon.

cdtm
Instead you just get a robot on ecstasy too high to fight a sex demon.

Never said they weren't adult kids. stick out tongue

Surtur
Even if they weren't you could justify it with the fact technically there is a character that is a little kid. Or at least has the appearance of one.

Surtur
IOW: same justification I used for letting my young cousins watch the Chucky movies.

beatboks
Originally posted by cdtm
Show off Doom Patrol to kids.

Disappointed there's no guys in armor fighting off demons in hell.

Not even 5 mins into episode 1 of this season with the bearded woman but f'ing I had concluded that I watch this one alone and the kids only get to watch stargirl with me

Surtur
A much more wholesome family program is The Boys.

cdtm
Was enjoying the pilot up until the gay kiss.

Not for anything to do with the gay kiss. Every time I see an ideological retooling of a comic book character, my brain gets stuck into an endless loop of "But why?"

You know, the same as with any politics. I always want to know whats happening behind the curtain, what the driving forces are, whether someones literally paying for good press, or whether there's a cynical drive to cash in on a target audience, or whether there happens to be some producers behind the scenes in key positions pushing their own thing, or what.

You never really know what's REALLY happening, know what I mean?

cdtm
Episode 2 gets even better.

But why is Cyborg in it? Was he in the original comic run?

Surtur
Steele & Stone!

Robots Live In My Town

cdtm
I kind of agree with Negative Man about the parasite.

In Jane's case, they always lived there. Now imagine if someone else moved in, suddenly. And no one liked him. Because he played the music really loud all the time, and never let anyone else have a turn controlling the body.

Think Jane or Hammerhead or whoever might feel different then?

cdtm
Pretty sure Jane was never over the top ***** in the comics anyways, this is something they did "For da drama".

Same with Negative Man and his hollier then thou attitude.

Robotmans change I like though. He was alwaya the team debbie downer, but now he's like a robot Homer Simpson.

cdtm
Into the home stretch of season 1.

Love Flex Mentallo.

If I was Flex or Sparky, I would have just gone for it, either snapping those wires even as they entered the cell, or have sparky squeeze in there and kill them as they entered.

Surtur
The Pioneers of the Uncharted.

Just awesome.

beatboks
The Pioneers of the Uncharted.

Just awesome.

Cliffe has even more reason to hate the chief now.
After that final scene from last ep, Robotman will NEVER trust chief again

Surtur
Cliffe has even more reason to hate the chief now.
After that final scene from last ep, Robotman will NEVER trust chief again

Yep, we're gonna get to see the fallout from that in today's episode(which I'll be watching in a little bit)

tkitna
So Cliffe can take a fall from space and be unscathed now? Lol. Love the show but come on man.

beatboks
Originally posted by tkitna
So Cliffe can take a fall from space and be unscathed now? Lol. Love the show but come on man.

I'm more curious how he actually managed to fall to worth given we left him last episode floating in the void of gravity less space

cdtm
Just a fyi: Will Magnus built Cliff's body in the comics.

The guy who built the Metal Men.

No, I never read them. I don't know anyone who did.

beatboks
Just a fyi: Will Magnus built Cliff's body in the comics.

The guy who built the Metal Men.

No, I never read them. I don't know anyone who did.

Since when

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/My-Greatest-Adventure/Issue-80?id=68994

That is issue 80 of my Greatest Adventure, the debut of the Doom Patrol and it was most definitely the chief that created Robotman not Magnus.

The same was depicted in Morrison's run that the show sticks pretty close too

Surtur
Originally posted by tkitna

Does it really contradict anything?

cdtm
Since when

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/My-Greatest-Adventure/Issue-80?id=68994

That is issue 80 of my Greatest Adventure, the debut of the Doom Patrol and it was most definitely the chief that created Robotman not Magnus.

The same was depicted in Morrison's run that the show sticks pretty close too

Could have sworn he says it in the first issue of Morrison's run. I haven't read earlier DP, but Will definitely said "Do you remember me? I built the Metal Men. I also designed your body".

Or something.

After it gets scrapped and Will makes the black replacement, Caulder does tear his work down as amateur hour, so no denying he knows robotics.

cdtm
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Doom-Patrol-1987/Issue-19?id=41828#9

Here it is. Page 9.

beatboks
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Doom-Patrol-1987/Issue-19?id=41828#9

Here it is. Page 9.

I do recall something about Magnus building Cliff's second body. The one he got after he and the rest of the original team were "killed" by General Imortus. We haven't gotten that far innthe story of the DP yet. Hell they havent even met Imortus

beatboks
This
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11112/111125873/3212401-doom%20patrol%20robot%20man%203_3_dylux-2-copy.jpg

Was the body I remember Magnus building

tkitna
I'm so tired of Dorthy. She is so annoying that I hope the candlemaker kills her.

Galan007
I stopped watching a few episodes ago. This season just didn't pull me in like last season did.

Might binge season 2 after it's wrapped up, just to see if it has better watchability that way.

cdtm
This
https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/11112/111125873/3212401-doom%20patrol%20robot%20man%203_3_dylux-2-copy.jpg

Was the body I remember Magnus building

Must be the one he's wearing at the start of Morrison.

When it gets wrecked he builds this one:

https://www.writeups.org/wp-content/uploads/Cliff-Steele-DC-Comics-Robotman-Doom-Patrol-Morrison-d.jpg

Doesn't last long, ends up being a total piece of junk. The first time he tries an arm laser it locks up the body.

Caulder rants for half a page about Magnus's substandard work and just builds him one himself.

Surtur
I thought the season would be longer, but I guess the 9th episode was the last.

Okay. Eh. I really did enjoy the season, but it needed more episodes.

Old Man Whirly!
I stopped watching a few episodes ago. This season just didn't pull me in like last season did.

Might binge season 2 after it's wrapped up, just to see if it has better watchability that way. This

Surtur
i think the problem is the first season had 15 episodes. more time to develop things.

this season only had 9, so that explains why it felt rushed.

cdtm
This

It had all the markings of executive meddling. Cliff dialing up the potty mouth and idiocy to 11 for example, completely unnecessary and just done because some suit demands it.

TheVaultDweller
kuUFOmvyKo4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.