Should it be a requirement for Priests to be married?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Eastern Orthodox Christian Priests are required to take a wife, and in my opinion this is a great idea, because I believe that by taking a vow to remain celibate could be detrimental to a person psychologically. In my opinion, there would be far fewer molestations of children in the Catholic churches.

The same could also be said about the Nuns. My reason for including Nuns is because I remember walking past a Nunnery, and as I looked up, there was a Nun looking at me, which isn't a big deal, but as I looked closer she seemed to be extremely attracted to me. It was to the point that I became a liitle uncomfortable.

Comments?

Eternal Idol
People have a strong biological urge to ****. No vows of celibacy will ever change that. I think it would be wise to allow priests and nuns to marry than to place such strict and unrealistic expectations on their sexuality.

MythLord
I don't think Priests or Nuns should be forced to marry, tbh. I also don't think they should be forced to be celibate.

I think they should do whatever they want in that regard, as long as they're faithful to their Lord and aren't molesting others.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
People have a strong biological urge to ****. No vows of celibacy will ever change that. I think it would be wise to allow priests and nuns to marry than to place such strict and unrealistic expectations on their sexuality.

This has been the "no shit" answer for millennia...

But you know dogma.. it don't change too easily.

Something tells me priests like molesting little boys... kind of like that South Park episode.

Stoic
Originally posted by MythLord
I don't think Priests or Nuns should be forced to marry, tbh. I also don't think they should be forced to be celibate.

I think they should do whatever they want in that regard, as long as they're faithful to their Lord and aren't molesting others.

Well, following the bible means that fornication is strictly forbidden, so being married would likely be the only way for clergy members to actually have sex. I believe that Priests, and Nuns alike have taken it way out of context, because the bibles urges those that are not able to abstain from having sex to take a spouse. Something has to be done, because we weren't meant to go through life without sex. We are only human. I'm betting that the vast majority of Priests that molested children abhorred such behavior prior to serving Christ, because I believe that being alone for too long can have detrimental effects on a person psychologically. It would be like placing a person in solitary confinement for 2 years and expecting them to be the same person that they were prior to being shut off from any human interaction, just to a lesser degree.

This is something that should be brought to the attention of the World Court, because due to Catholic Priests unknown need to ignorantly bypass the bibles edicts, it has placed a negative opinion upon the religion itself, especially since Christ never told anyone to remain celibate. He said that he would prefer it, but if you could not remain celibate...
Sorry for any typos.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Stoic
Christ never told anyone to remain celibate.
He said that he would prefer it, but if you could not remain celibate...
Sorry for any typos.

That advice is actually from Paul, if I remember correctly.

But you got the gist of it.

1 Corinthians 7 King James Version (KJV)

7 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

4 The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.

5 Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

6 But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.

7 For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.

8 I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, it is good for them if they abide even as I.

9 But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Eon Blue
Yes, they should be allowed to marry and have sex like a normal person. Vows of celibacy are ridiculous and promote toxic sexual behaviors.

Lord Lucien
Men of God deserve puss too. He created it for all to enjoy.

Surtur
It's the age old question: is the celibacy making them molest some kids or is the access to children drawing pedo's to the priesthood? Or is it a combination of both?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
It's the age old question: is the celibacy making them molest some kids or is the access to children drawing pedo's to the priesthood? Or is it a combination of both?

Ah, life's deep mysteries...

https://media.tenor.com/images/3aeb3682781561312ad3c84753d8ff40/tenor.gif

I would say it probably started out as the former and eventually developed into the latter.

mike brown
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This has been the "no shit" answer for millennia...

But you know dogma.. it don't change too easily.

Something tells me priests like molesting little boys... kind of like that South Park episode. I think it was Colin Quinn the comedian who had a theory that priests are basically little gay kids growing up but since they're Catholic going into the priesthood is a convenient way to avoid the fact that they are sissies

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Ah, life's deep mysteries...

https://media.tenor.com/images/3aeb3682781561312ad3c84753d8ff40/tenor.gif

I would say it probably started out as the former and eventually developed into the latter.

I'm throwing out an open challenge to Baby Jesus to come give us the truth on this matter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.