Movies that have AWFUL reviews from Critics AND Audiences that you enjoyed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
As the title says. I'll start:

"Zoom: Academy for Superheroes", I love this friggen movie.

Dr Will Hatch
Green Lantern.

The Green Hornet.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Iron Man 2.

ares834
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
The Green Hornet.

Huh? I didn't realize this had awful reviews. I enjoyed it as well.

Iron Man 2.

Neither of these films had awful reviews. In fact, both are "certified Fresh" on RT.

Jmanghan
Green Lantern.

The Green Hornet.

Iron Man 2. It has to be badly reviewed by audiences AND critics, not just one or the other, and it can't be from hearsay, it has to be from official review sites that are well-reputed.

Patient_Leech
R. I. P. D.

It's silly fun sort of in the same vein as Men in Black. Admittedly it's not a great movie, but I was entertained.

jaden_2.0
Bright on Netflix. Gets slated by everyone but I thought it was ace and wished it was a series rather than a movie.

quanchi112
Last Airbender. Really, really enjoyed it.

ares834
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AlarmedWildBass-size_restricted.gif

Truly a classic.

quanchi112
What a gif. More importantly what a film.

BrolyBlack
Hellboy

Kazenji
Hellboy didn't have bad reviews....well none that i seen at the time.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by quanchi112
Last Airbender. Really, really enjoyed it.

same

Eon Blue
The Neon Demon, The Fountain, Mojave

steverules_2

Flyattractor
Dredd.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Dredd.

Had good reviews all around. Good lord, you are senile, Fly! Take your meds!

Esau Cairn
John Carter

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

You won't see me defending Fly often, but perhaps he meant the original Dredd. Y'know, the one from 1995 with Sly.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
You won't see me defending Fly often, but perhaps he meant the original Dredd. Y'know, the one from 1995 with Sly.

That one is called Judge Dredd. Doesn't create much of a defense for Fly. He's pretty impossible to defend in almost every case! laughing out loud

But yes, Judge Dredd does count. It was pretty poorly liked all around. I can add that to my list, because I like it. It's a fun guilty pleasure. thumb up

quanchi112
Had good reviews all around. Good lord, you are senile, Fly! Take your meds! thumb up

StiltmanFTW
That one is called Judge Dredd. Doesn't create much of a defense for Fly. He's pretty impossible to defend in almost every case! laughing out loud

But yes, Judge Dredd does count. It was pretty poorly liked all around. I can add that to my list, because I like it. It's a fun guilty pleasure. thumb up

That he is thumb up You can't expect him to remember movie titles, btw.

I liked it, too. More than 2012 Dredd, in fact. Maybe I'm just a sucker for films with Stallone.

Putinbot1
Highlander when it came out got panned.

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Highlander when it came out got panned.

Not by Scots. Well, Lambert's accent did. 😁

Kazenji
The only thing that they got right with the Stallone Dredd movie was the look of Mega City One.

steverules_2
I like Rocky IV as well, which is 40% on RT so certified rotten

Kazenji
The first Resident Evil movie for me that i like and it got alot of bad reviews from critics at the time.

Jmanghan
Just thought of a few:

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Ironclad (2011)

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan

That movie deserved to be hated by the critics and people alike.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
That movie deserved to be hated by the critics and people alike. I thought it was in a so bad it's good category, and I liked the fight scenes.

When I was a kid I thought Liu Kang turning into a dragon was ****in sick, now-a-days it's silly but the point is I still find the movie entertaining.

Also Jax was my favorite Mortal Kombat character at the time, so having him in pretty much sealed it in my head.

Kazenji
I prefer to watch the first movie more myself

for a sequel you would think they would give it a higher budget then the first one but they didn't do that.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Not by Scots. Well, Lambert's accent did. 😁 I don't think he tried a Sotts accent. "Sheeps stomach stuffed with meat and barley".

Flyattractor

Hmmm... That is a Pretty Interesting ... especially seeing has how you Said something Totally Diff before you got to snuggle up to ANOTHER opinion of your own.....QUICK Sherman to the Wayback Machine!!!!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Waybackmachine3.png

"Judgement Time." Bad line. Not sure what to think about this. Looks kind of gimmicky from the trailer. But should at least be worth a drunk viewing. The girl looks pretty.

Yeah, watching the trailer again, this really doesn't look any better than the Stallone version. That version is actually pretty entertaining, in a campy, over-the-top sort of way. The production value and just look of it is pretty entertaining.

Of course I guess I could have said that was my FEELING of How Dredd got treated when it FIRST Came out when all the Critics and Comic Book Movie Fans (So Called Fans That is) and DID NOT GIVE THIS MOVIE A CHANCE UNTIL it Bombed in the theaters because of their Biases Actions.

So yeah....

I would also add Last Action Hero to the List as well...

TheIndyJedi
Batman V Superman

StiltmanFTW

Jma....

Really?

Annihilation ANNIHILATED Mortal Kombat on the big screen.

carthage

tkitna
Terminator Genisys

Todd1700
"Dune" by David Lynch.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Hmmm... That is a Pretty Interesting ... especially seeing has how you Said something Totally Diff before you got to snuggle up to ANOTHER opinion of your own.....QUICK Sherman to the Wayback Machine!!!!!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3f/Waybackmachine3.png

Of course I guess I could have said that was my FEELING of How Dredd got treated when it FIRST Came out when all the Critics and Comic Book Movie Fans (So Called Fans That is) and DID NOT GIVE THIS MOVIE A CHANCE UNTIL it Bombed in the theaters because of their Biases Actions.

So yeah....

I would also add Last Action Hero to the List as well...

You are truly deranged, Fly. I pity you.

That was my impression from the ads and marketing. The film wasn't marketed well, which is a big reason it bombed at the box office. It was markted as being another gimmicky 3D thing. But it actually turned out to be really, really good and had good reviews from Critics (78%) and Audience (72%). I've since seen it probably 3 or 4 times and it's actually gotten better and better each time.

Originally posted by Todd1700
"Dune" by David Lynch.

That's borderline. I remember liking it, but I just thought some of the effects were a bit dated. But yeah, Lynch's imagining was trippy as fu#k. I've been meaning to watch it again, actually.

James T. Kirk
Barb Wire, Charlie's Angels, Showgirls, and Striptease.

I'll let all of you figure out WHY I enjoyed these.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by James T. Kirk
Barb Wire, Charlie's Angels, Showgirls, and Striptease.

I'll let all of you figure out WHY I enjoyed these. Cause... Cause of the boobies, right?

jaden_2.0
I'd have to put Knowing with Nic Cage on my list. Universally panned but any apocalypse movie in which the world actually ends is awesome in my book. Plus the disaster scenes of the plane and subway crashes are spectacular.

James T. Kirk
Cause... Cause of the boobies, right? Among other things... Sure as hell wasn't the acting or the scripts.

Esau Cairn
SuckerPunch.

Great visuals. Great action scenes. Beautiful cast.

Patient_Leech
I'd have to put Knowing with Nic Cage on my list. Universally panned but any apocalypse movie in which the world actually ends is awesome in my book. Plus the disaster scenes of the plane and subway crashes are spectacular.

Yeah, I thought it sucked the first time I saw it. I guess I had high expectations because I knew it was from Alex Proyas. I've been meaning to give it another chance... maybe someday..

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
SuckerPunch.

Great visuals. Great action scenes. Beautiful cast.

I would have rather seen the girl dance instead of those terrible CGI sequences. *shrug*

Kazenji
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3 & Tron: Legacy.

jaden_2.0
Yeah, I thought it sucked the first time I saw it. I guess I had high expectations because I knew it was from Alex Proyas. I've been meaning to give it another chance... maybe someday..

It drops a fair bit when the woman drives off with the children but up untill that point and after the kids fly off with the angel aliens it is fackin great.

Patient_Leech
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3...

I looked those up, they both have 72% audience score on RT. That's actually a lot higher than I would have expected. Yeah, I like them too, just for fun escapism.

jaden_2.0
Add to the list most of the cheesy disaster blockbusters.

Twister
Volcano
Dante's Peak
The Day after Tomorrow
Deep Impact
Armageddon
The Core

Jmanghan
Superfly (2018) I haven't seen the WHOLE movie, but I've seen clips from it, and it looks absolutely phenomenal.

GaIcAaHFc0U

Jmanghan
The star wars prequels, all of them.

Impediment
Hellboy (2019).

Adam Grimes
2013 Carrie.

StiltmanFTW
It has to be badly reviewed by audiences AND critics

What do you mean by "badly" reviewed?

I loved the original Mortal Kombat film. 47% on tomatometer, 58% audience score... or it's not bad enough?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortal_kombat

John Murdoch
Going with some great picks from posters on here already, plus a few of my own that haven't been mentioned as of yet:

- The Star Wars prequel trilogy (RotS is the exception in that it was a big hit with both when it dropped in 2005, but I'll include it as it now gets bogged down with the first two in pop culture circles).
- MK: Annihilation. It sucks, but I remember seeing it with my mother and stepfather back in 1997 in OKC. My stepfather fell asleep, even with all the techno "MORTAL KOMBAT!" theme's glory. He passed away back in 2017, but whenever I see MK: Annihilation pop up on Netflix or somewhere, I have to give it a re-watch in honor of him.
- Sucker Punch. Really enjoyed the action and the plot. I'm probably one of five people in the universe who did (one or two others on this thread it seems smile ).
- Batman & Robin. Still to date might have the best Bruce & Alfred relationship captured on the big screen; the McGregor Syndrome sub-plot was the only well-done thing from this film, and Uma Thurman camping it up as Poison Ivy makes it a welcome conclusion to the Burton-Schumacher quadrilogy of Batman films, which are late-80's/90's action-adventure film at its finest.
- Fant4stic. Key word: enjoyed SOME of it. I'm a comic book movie fan - I was raised on them, so a lot get some free passes. I think acts 1 & 2 of Fant4stic are serviceable, sometimes good, comic book movie fare. The 3rd act is nigh-absolute trash, just a dumpster fire, but the rest of the movie isn't just utterly horrendous like reviewers make it out to be, IMO. Superman IV it is not.
- Dumb & Dumber To. Probably where I differ from the majority the most is on this movie. I loved it. Though it isn't near the original, which is probably my favorite comedy ever, it was an entertaining and just dumb funny follow-up that I got to see with friends that have been watching the first D&D since it came out in 1994. Also, the two day-dream sequences are HILARIOUS, especially Lloyd's.

John Murdoch
Oh and throw Van Damme Street Fighter on there too. Another dumb fun movie that Raul Julia makes worth the price of admission.

riv6672
DEEP RISING, baby.

29%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 31
43%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 21,973

I would watch this movie over most any Oscar bait snore fest every single time.

-Pr-
The star wars prequels, all of them.

Not sure that qualifies, as ROTS is pretty well-liked.

I loved the original Mortal Kombat film. 47% on tomatometer, 58% audience score... or it's not bad enough?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortal_kombat

****ing love that movie.

Also, Masters of the Universe.

NemeBro

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mortal_kombat I'd say that counts, and good choice. thumb up

Kazenji
The Punisher with Thomas Jane.

John Murdoch
The Punisher with Thomas Jane.

Great pick.

I'll add X-Men: Dark Phoenix to my list. Watched it Saturday night, and, besides the lack of Quicksilver and Magneto's turn-on-a-dime switch of allegiance from killing Jean to being on her side, I thought it was a darn good superhero flick.

It's a letdown if one views it as the end of the Fox X-Men universe, but McAvoy and Fassbender (and Hoult for that matter) always bring the thunder with their roles, the action scenes show the mutants using their powers creatively and in conjunction with one another well, and the effects and plot kept me glued to the screen for the full run-time. And I liked that the X-Men basically had to work together to use their exotic powersets to combat far superior physical threats in the form of the D'Bari.

steverules_2
Event Horizon

cdtm
Crocodile Hunter.

TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed Warcraft, and it didn't do very well at the box office (except like China) and the critics also hated it. Though I probably enjoyed that movie more for the weird things from the games and lore they tried to incorporate more than the plot or anything like that. I mean they legit had Khadgar level up towards the end of the movie after he takes down Medivh.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ed8ded5997f7e34d4dfc9198ce4dc536/tumblr_inline_o8xild4tlZ1r05hdo_500.gif

jaden_2.0
Love a shitty late 90's early 2000's disaster movie. So Twister, Dante's Peak, Volcano, The Core, Vertical Limit, The Day After Tomorrow.

Would also add Knowing with Nic Cage.

ares834
Love a shitty late 90's early 2000's disaster movie. So Twister, Dante's Peak, Volcano, The Core, Vertical Limit, The Day After Tomorrow.

Would also add Knowing with Nic Cage.

mmm

Add to the list most of the cheesy disaster blockbusters.

Twister
Volcano
Dante's Peak
The Day after Tomorrow
Deep Impact
Armageddon
The Core

wink

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I enjoyed Warcraft, and it didn't do very well at the box office (except like China) and the critics also hated it. Though I probably enjoyed that movie more for the weird things from the games and lore they tried to incorporate more than the plot or anything like that. I mean they legit had Khadgar level up towards the end of the movie after he takes down Medivh.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/ed8ded5997f7e34d4dfc9198ce4dc536/tumblr_inline_o8xild4tlZ1r05hdo_500.gif

I enjoyed Warcraft, too.

But it's not a good example for this thread; as it had a rather high audience score (77%).

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/

Kazenji
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Also helped Duncan Jones was a fan of Warcraft. Liked how when the movie was out and he didn't give a shit about what the movie critics thought of it, Even that one interviewer was trying his best to pick apart the plot.

carthage

BruceSkywalker
revenge of the ninja

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by ares834
mmm

wink

Thanks

I have dementia

BruceSkywalker
enter the ninja

invasion usa

the octagon

riv6672

riv6672
I thought of a good one. THE POSTMAN.

9%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 35

50%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 55,579

It was a good solid post apocalyptic movie, made better by the fact that Keven Costner is so likable, AND it ended on a positive note. Honestly I see nothing wrong w. this movie.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by riv6672
I thought of a good one. THE POSTMAN.

9%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 35

50%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 55,579

It was a good solid post apocalyptic movie, made better by the fact that Keven Costner is so likable, AND it ended on a positive note. Honestly I see nothing wrong w. this movie.

I saw this in junior high, and even then I thought as I was watching it that the critics and general audience got it wrong. Solid film by Costner.

roughrider
Howard The Duck. Don't think it deserved so much of the derision it got.

riv6672
^^^i love me some Howard the Duck! eek!

Originally posted by John Murdoch
I saw this in junior high, and even then I thought as I was watching it that the critics and general audience got it wrong. Solid film by Costner.
Good deal; not sure what rubbed ppl wrong about that one.
Of course, Costner was getting a lot of hate back then.

Dr Will Hatch
The Lone Ranger is another movie I really liked that for some reason is hated.

riv6672
The Lone Ranger is another movie I really liked that for some reason is hated.
THANK you!
That movie was pretty darn fun.

Jmanghan
I really like any type of fun modern buddy cop movies.

Ride Along, Bad Boys, The Other Guys, Central Intelligence, etc.

As long as the acting's good I could care less if the jokes are "witty".

riv6672
^^^I dunno, bad witty can undermine good acting...

Jmanghan
Originally posted by roughrider
Howard The Duck. Don't think it deserved so much of the derision it got. Howard the Duck is awesome.

Jmanghan
Spawn (1997), is a movie I loved, 17% from critics and 36% from audiences:
n5i6yEtVneU
GZdRW8x4RS8

Tekken (2010) is another movie I thoroughly enjoyed, with a whopping 0% from critics and 31% from audiences:
AEiG7gOX52s
eHpQ8IfRsG8

Impediment
Hellboy 2019.

I enjoyed it.

jaden_2.0
A Serbian Film

Jmanghan
Never Back Down is a FANTASTIC movie, but everyone hated it.

Nemesis X
DOOM (2005)

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nemesis X
DOOM (2005) OOOH, good choice. I like it but I wish there was more of what we saw at the end of the film.

The last 20 minutes should've been the entire movie.

Jmanghan
House of the Dead (2003):
9nqpOwh4N_Q
yXdoAqXtl0Q

cdtm
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/617lHvM7e6L._SX342_.jpg

Jmanghan
Loved DareDevil (2003), 44% from Critics, and 35% from Audiences.

Kelly_Bean
Unhinged.

Kazenji
Loved DareDevil (2003), 44% from Critics, and 35% from Audiences.

the theatrical cut is rubbish, Go watch the director's cut.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.