Classic contemporary actors vs 80s/90s actors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Senor Cage
Just like the other thread. 80's/90s starting five:

1. Daniel day Lewis
2. Gary oldman
3. Christian Bale
4. Robert Downey jr.
5. Kevin Spacey

Vs

Classics

1. Robert Deniro
2. Al Pacino
3. Jack Nicholson
4. Dustin Hoffman
5. Anthony Hopkins

Which crew is superior?

jaden_2.0
99% of people will say the 2nd list and 99% of people would be wrong.

Senor Cage
Imo: Deniro>> Daniel day Lewis
Oldman>> Pacino
Anthony Hopkins>>Kevin Spacey
Jack Nicholson >> Robert Downey jr
Dustin Hoffman>> christian Bale

jaden_2.0
I enjoy De Niros roles and movies far more than Daniel Day Lewis but I can't ignore that DDL is simply leagues above De Niro in ability. Even his boring roles like Phantom Thread are so nuanced it's beyond belief. Where as De Niro has carved out an effective niche where even his non gangster roles draw on similar traits like in Limitless or even the hardass dad in Meet the Fockers. Even his non gangster stand out roles like Travis Bickle Max Cady and Jake La Motta are all small variences on a similar trope.

Oldman is definitely far better than Pacino who also has the same issues as De Niro where once he's out of his typecast comfort zone he falls flat.

Hopkins has arguably better individual roles and memorable characters but more skilled an actor than Spacey? Take away Hannibal Lecter and what do you have left? Variations on a theme. His portrayal of William Parrish in Meet Joe Black is almost indistinguishable from him as Robert Ford in Westworld and Odin is just them in fancy golden armour. Most of the rest of his career is a litany of mediocrity. Spacey on the other hand. John Doe in Se7en, Jack Vincceness in L.A Confidential, Verbal Kint/Kayser Soze in The Usual Suspects, Lester Burnham, David Gale, Frank Underwood.

Nicholson I agree with but again has done well with a degree of typecasting purely because of that legendary look he has in his eyes and eyebrows. But he's equally brilliant in roles like The Shining as he is in As Good as it Gets and equally suited for roles like The Departed as he is in The Bucket List.

Hoffman's overrated.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
I enjoy De Niros roles and movies far more than Daniel Day Lewis but I can't ignore that DDL is simply leagues above De Niro in ability. Even his boring roles like Phantom Thread are so nuanced it's beyond belief. Where as De Niro has carved out an effective niche where even his non gangster roles draw on similar traits like in Limitless or even the hardass dad in Meet the Fockers. Even his non gangster stand out roles like Travis Bickle Max Cady and Jake La Motta are all small variences on a similar trope.

Oldman is definitely far better than Pacino who also has the same issues as De Niro where once he's out of his typecast comfort zone he falls flat.

Hopkins has arguably better individual roles and memorable characters but more skilled an actor than Spacey? Take away Hannibal Lecter and what do you have left? Variations on a theme. His portrayal of William Parrish in Meet Joe Black is almost indistinguishable from him as Robert Ford in Westworld and Odin is just them in fancy golden armour. Most of the rest of his career is a litany of mediocrity. Spacey on the other hand. John Doe in Se7en, Jack Vincceness in L.A Confidential, Verbal Kint/Kayser Soze in The Usual Suspects, Lester Burnham, David Gale, Frank Underwood.

Nicholson I agree with but again has done well with a degree of typecasting purely because of that legendary look he has in his eyes and eyebrows. But he's equally brilliant in roles like The Shining as he is in As Good as it Gets and equally suited for roles like The Departed as he is in The Bucket List.

Hoffman's overrated.

The way I see it, is that Deniro has a wider range (maybe I'm saying this wrong), but Lewis is better at drama. Deniro can do comedy, I have yet to see Lewis do anything remotely funny, and Deniro's best roles (Raging Bull , The Awakenings, for example) are just as good as DDL, IMO. Deniro has a lot of shitty roles, but in his prime, Deniro is just as convincing as DDL.

Hoffman, I believe has a wider range (He's actually in the Guinness Book of World Records for that). He can do comedy and drama equally as good, if not better than Bale, IMO.

Senor Cage

Hoffman's overrated.

What about Elephant Man for Hopkins? Just as good as any role Spacey has done, IMO.

riv6672

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by Senor Cage
The way I see it, is that Deniro has a wider range (maybe I'm saying this wrong), but Lewis is better at drama. Deniro can do comedy, I have yet to see Lewis do anything remotely funny, and Deniro's best roles (Raging Bull , The Awakenings, for example) are just as good as DDL, IMO. Deniro has a lot of shitty roles, but in his prime, Deniro is just as convincing as DDL.

Hoffman, I believe has a wider range (He's actually in the Guinness Book of World Records for that). He can do comedy and drama equally as good, if not better than Bale, IMO.

My only issue with that logic is that just because De Niro has done comedy roles doesn't mean he's actually any good. You wouldn't exactly say his performance in Rocky and Bullwinkle is Oscar worthy. Then there's the fact that most of his comedy work is just him playing the same type of roles he gets praise for. Namely Analyze This, The Family and The Fockers movies where his character is just lifted from his gangster movies. If we have your arguments logic to its conclusion we'd be saying that The Rock and Mark Wahlberg are better actors than Day Lewis.

Robtard
Oldman is my favorite actor so I'm a little biased, but the top crew has the superior set of consistently good actors/roles

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
Oldman is my favorite actor, so I'm a little biased, but the top crew has the superior set of consistently good actors/roles Oldman comes from the same part of South London I do, and I've probably posted this tidbit before ive sat in the same cafe in Deptford high street whilst he had a coffee. Our accents are very similar.

Robtard
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Oldman comes from the same part of South London I do, and I've probably posted this tidbit before ive sat in the same cafe in Deptford high street whilst he had a coffee. Our accents are very similar.

Yours is probably better at this point, I recall reading that he had to hire an English-British linguist to help him regain his accent as he's lost some of it living in the States for so long. For his role in Darkest Hour, iirc.

Senor Cage
My only issue with that logic is that just because De Niro has done comedy roles doesn't mean he's actually any good. You wouldn't exactly say his performance in Rocky and Bullwinkle is Oscar worthy. Then there's the fact that most of his comedy work is just him playing the same type of roles he gets praise for. Namely Analyze This, The Family and The Fockers movies where his character is just lifted from his gangster movies. If we have your arguments logic to its conclusion we'd be saying that The Rock and Mark Wahlberg are better actors than Day Lewis.

Most comedy roles don't even get nominated for Oscars, anyway. Point is, Deniro IS funny, and I think it's hard to make an audience laugh. Deniro can do both quite well. Is every comedy role a slam dunk? Nope, but he's been doing it since the King of Comedy, directed by Marty.

Patient_Leech
I enjoy De Niros roles and movies far more than Daniel Day Lewis but I can't ignore that DDL is simply leagues above De Niro in ability. Even his boring roles like Phantom Thread are so nuanced it's beyond belief.

Bingo. I felt exactly the same about Phantom Thread. Incredible dedication and subtlety. Daniel Day Lewis is a master of the craft.

What about Elephant Man for Hopkins? Just as good as any role Spacey has done, IMO.

I've never been a big Spacey fan. But you mentioned Elephant Man (one of the all-time great movies), so I think John Hurt is superior even to Anthony Hopkins (though I love Hopkins).

What about Tom Hanks? Where would he fit in? He deserves some credit. Not sure if he'd be considered classic or contemporary, though..

Surtur
A duo of Daniel Day Lewis and Gary Oldman could solo this shiznit

Putinbot1
Leonardo is as good as most listed. Hoffman has done some amazing films.

Surtur
I liked Hoffman in Hook and now I'm struggling to think of anything else I liked him in. In a main role, I mean.

Putinbot1
Yours is probably better at this point, I recall reading that he had to hire an English-British linguist to help him regain his accent as he's lost some of it living in the States for so long. For his role in Darkest Hour, iirc. Interesting, I dont get why so many British Cultural icons come from a few areas in the UK. Guess it's because we are a small country. Michael Caine, Jagger and Bowie are all from near me too and Dudley Moore and Ray Winstone aren't far away. Well Bowie and Moorevare dead but, you know.

Surtur

Hoffman's overrated.

Who do you think is better when it comes to acting skill, Pacino or De Niro?

I can think of a few non-gangster roles for De Niro I enjoyed, but I can't do the same with Pacino. All I have is Glengarry Glen Ross.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by Surtur
I liked Hoffman in Hook and now I'm struggling to think of anything else I liked him in. In a main role, I mean.

Graduate? Tootsie? Rain Man? All great roles, IMO.

Senor Cage
Originally posted by Surtur
A duo of Daniel Day Lewis and Gary Oldman could solo this shiznit

But the trinity of Deniro, Nicholson, and Pacino solo the list, too. wink

Robtard
Interesting, I dont get why so many British Cultural icons come from a few areas in the UK. Guess it's because we are a small country. Michael Caine, Jagger and Bowie are all from near me too and Dudley Moore and Ray Winstone aren't far away. Well Bowie and Moorevare dead but, you know.

Maybe talent tends to pool in certain areas

Surtur
But the trinity of Deniro, Nicholson, and Pacino solo the list, too. wink

Anything else is overkill.

Robtard
Pacino went downhill in the early 2000's, imo

Putinbot1
Maybe talent tends to pool in certain areas I suspect its where cultures collide, and I don't mean violently. In my time south London has had influxes of blacks from the commonwealth and Carribean, Asians from everywhere, refugees from Bosnia, Somalia etc. Did you know London is the second most racially diverse city on earth with the most different languages? It exposes people to the great galleries and museums, the varied music and food. It has a beat only ancient cities have and a melody only everchanging cities have. They say all roads lead to Rome; it would be truer to say roman roads lead to London.

Robtard
I suspect its where cultures collide and i don't mean violently. In my time south london has had infuxes of blacks from the commonwealth and carribean, asians from everywhere, refugees from bosnia, somalia etc. Did you know London is thevsecond most racially diverse city on earth with the most different languages? It exposes people to the great galleries and museums, the varied music and food. It has a beat only very old cities haveband a melody only everchaging cities have. They sayball roads lead to rome, it would be truer to say roman roads lead to London.

I did not know either fact. Thanks.

But didn't you hear that cultures can't mix; it just doesn't work ever!!!!?

Putinbot1
I did not know either fact. Thanks.

But didn't you hear that cultures can't mix; it just doesn't work ever!!!!? I have heard it and it's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

carthage

Putinbot1
Last of the Mohicans is my fave DDL film.

jaden_2.0
Being in excellent films doesn't make the actors excellent. Works the other way too.

The Hurt Locker won best picture and was tremendous with a bunch of good but not great actors.

Movie 43, on the other hand.

Hugh Jackman
Emma Stone
Halle Berry
Richard Gere
Kate Winslet
Naomi Watts
Liev Schreiber
Chris Pratt
Uma Thurman
Terence Howard
Greg Kinnear
Julianne Moore
Anton Yeltsin
Bob Odenkirk
Bobby Cannavale
Dennis Quaid
Jason Sudakis
Chloe Moretz

A huge wealth of talent including 2 best actor/actress Oscar winners

Total garbage.

Putinbot1
Being in excellent films doesn't make the actors excellent. Works the other way too.

The Hurt Locker won best picture and was tremendous with a bunch of good but not great actors.

Movie 43, on the other hand.

Hugh Jackman
Emma Stone
Halle Berry
Richard Gere
Kate Winslet
Naomi Watts
Liev Schreiber
Chris Pratt
Uma Thurman
Terence Howard
Greg Kinnear
Julianne Moore
Anton Yeltsin
Bob Odenkirk
Bobby Cannavale
Dennis Quaid
Jason Sudakis
Chloe Moretz

A huge wealth of talent including 2 best actor/actress Oscar winners

Total garbage. julianne moore 20/years ago was so bangable.

riv6672
Pacino went downhill in the early 2000's, imo
Pacino was the bomb in JACK & JILL, yo!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.